Thread: Wing Dividers for Range Measuremet - Possibly Custom

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

Default Wing Dividers for Range Measuremet - Possibly Custom

I have been toying around with using wing dividers to measure range. You can easily measure from the exact point of fire to the closest point of the target and compare it to the range ruler.

I now am thinking that it you made a custom set out of wood you could

1. Mark the ranges right on the wing to avoid needing to refer to the range ruler.

2. Run a string between the points. Have it fixed at one end and run loose with slack through the other. This would allow you to easily check firing arc.

Opinions?

I will try to scratch build something this weekend.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It will be much easier to offer opinions once we see your initial thought materialize.

A couple of things I would consider if making a new ruler - which I will eventually try:
    1. Ease of use - markings should be on the ruler so no other device needs to be consulted - lay the ruler down and you know what you need to know
    2. Thinner - this definitely is not a problem with WoG, but with SoG you lose the musket range - this can be compensated by using one of the issued rulers in those instances
    3. Pointed at the firing end - this could make it easier to align with the firing dot
    4. Short versions - it could be helpful to have a chain/grapeshot length, and a short range length rulers - sometimes it is hard to get the ruler in-between the ships, but it only really matters if assessing these types of ammo or distance