Thread: Cold Wars Convention AAR The Battle of Grand Port

Default Cold Wars Convention AAR The Battle of Grand Port

As noted in my previous play test AAR - I ran this scenario at the HMGS Cold Wars convention in Lancaster PA this past weekend. Thanks to Erin for the scenario. I did modify the special rules a bit. The original scenario can be found here:
    http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...tle+grand+port

For the convention I used the standard game rules (two card system) plus the following optional rules, mods: Entanglement, Boarding, Modified sail changes, modified collisions, modified grounding. I had room for eight players and more than that showed up to play, plus a group of four set up a SoG game on an adjacent table, using the Advanced rules. The scenario ran for almost 4 hours and everyone had a good time despite some entanglements and groundings! One player had previously purchased a starter set and played a few games and another bought a set the next day after playing in the game.

As a general observation on availability several vendors at the convention had ships, accessories and even starter sets. I also did observe the SoG games put on by another Anchorage member (mdesensi). His games were Friday and Saturday nights and he had so much interest that he ran 2 games on Friday night. He was using the Basic rules with one card plotting. I believe he had six players with each commanding an SoL and a frigate.

Here is a brief AAR and some photos of my game. I will post my Turn sequence and player scenario briefings in the file section. The objective for the French was to destroy the British squadron or escape to sea. The British objective was to re-capture the Indiaman and of course to disable the French squadron.

The battle started with the British sailing in line ahead through the channel towards the anchored French fleet. (One of the French players asked me about rules for maneuvering on springs - thoughts for future HR). The British line was disrupted by the shoals placed by French players and forced to turn downwind. The French were trying to drive them towards the shore battery. One Brit sailed through a gap and towards the French who had raised sail and started maneuvering. At this point one British ship ran aground ( if they got too close to a shoal but not touching I gave them a random chance to hit it and they did!). Several of the French players struggled with their tacks. I represented the captured East Indiaman using an SoL with vastly reduced hull and crew boxes. Eventually one French frigate sailed behind the British line and got some good shots off. There was a lot of maneuvering, including several groundings on both sides and several entanglements, but eventually one French ship struck and the British had several ships near the captured ship which was about to strike. At that point I called the game as a British victory.

Table set up (some of the pics are blurry - I think the mats are confusing my iphone's focus!).

Name:  Grand Port CW set up.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  179.3 KB

The British change course to avoid the shoals.

Name:  GP CW British Line disrupted by shoals.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  164.1 KB

The French raise sail and start tacking around to meet the British while they are disorganized from the shoals.
    Name:  GP CW British avoid shoals.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  188.6 KB

A British ship has run aground and has begun a kedging operation (ships boats are from Langton).
    Name:  GP CW British ship being kedged off a shoal..jpg
Views: 445
Size:  175.6 KB

French Players planning maneuvers - note British ship still on shoal.
    Name:  GP CW French players planning.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  175.7 KB

The fleets are now crossing. Note the French ship inshore of the Britsh and another has just crossed behind the lead ship. Also two British ships have collided and are entangled.

Name:  GP CW FIring commences.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  171.4 KB

The Brits have disentangled themselves but not before a long range raking shot hits one of them.
    Name:  GP CW French rake.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  174.2 KB

More broadsides. The French ship on the left avoids the shoal by luck and by being taken aback.

Name:  GP CW General melee.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  182.5 KB

An exchange of fire with the shore Battery. I used the small battery in the pack for the scenario.

Name:  GP CW exchange of fire with shore batt.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  177.0 KB

The East Indiaman tries a stern rake but the angle is too great.
    Name:  GP CW EIC ship gets a rake.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  168.4 KB

Scene near the end of the game. Two British ships near the Indiaman on the left of the shot.
    Name:  CW GP table.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  151.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hmm -- it would seem the historical French had the right strategy....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Eric, thanks very much for the AAR and the number of excellent photos!! It certainly sounds like a great time was had by all.

I have noticed in some of the pictures that I've taken that the intensity of the blue in some areas of the mats has affected the focus and the color balance as well. So, I'm not surprised that your phone might have had some issues with the mats.

Great AAR, Eric.

I'm a little bit surprised about that many reefs & sand banks in this scenario.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the AAR. You did a good job presenting the game.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just looking at your series of photos again and was impressed on how the very first one has this incredibly dark, dark blue area in the center of the four mats that one might expect to see Charybdis or the Sargasso Sea in place to waylay ships. Looks very ominous.

Well done Eric. I am pleased to see that the materials available enabled the flexibility to recreate the Grand Port, Ile de la Passé and the shore battery. I hadn't had a chance to mess around with the shore lines etc yet. Very nicely laid out. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    Well done Eric. I am pleased to see that the materials available enabled the flexibility to recreate the Grand Port, Ile de la Passé and the shore battery. I hadn't had a chance to mess around with the shore lines etc yet. Very nicely laid out. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Erin. It doesn't match your terrain of course. One of my goals was to showcase the accessories available from Ares, which worked out well. One issue with the coastlines is that the pieces tended to get bumped around a bit during play. No problem with the ship mats or counters though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another interesting action Eric.
    I particularly like your use of the shoals, but most of all the way you used the coastal strips to edge the gaming ships logs. It is always a problem to know just what to do with these large protuberances.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Looks great. I'm now thinking along the line of those plastic strip/clips A4 size for holding sheets of paper together as perhaps an aid to holding the coastline to the mat in place. Now where to buy a pack of them, I wonder......found em...staples sell them in packs of 10 (clear plastic too).
    Last edited by Union Jack; 10-09-2015 at 08:20.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What the deuce are you waffling about man?
    We need a chart to find them.
    Bligh.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

3 points off the starboard bow, slightly to windward of the leeward side of the north star...somewhat...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What the deuce are you waffling about man?
    We need a chart to find them.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    3 points off the starboard bow, slightly to windward of the leeward side of the north star...somewhat...I think.
    That's what I thought Jack, but then I sobered up.
    Bligh.