Thread: Beat to Quarters - Illinois/Wisconsin

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Default Beat to Quarters - Illinois/Wisconsin

This is an announcement of a gaming day April 12th in Loves Park, IL (Rockford). Location: St Bridgets Parish Center at 600 Clifford Ave Loves Park, IL 61111 from 10am - 4pm. Sorry for the delay it took setting this up, but our church schedule has been very busy!!! We will be gaming in the basement area (we were lucky to get that) this time, and as always the cost for each person is two(2) cans of fruit to donate to our church pantry, a very reasonable cost for room rental!!!

If you noticed the announcement, I am going to try to keep "Beat to Quarters (SGN)" and Scrambles (WoG) separated to different days so everyone doesn't have to drag everything with them. However, we will keep things flexible, and if the group wants to mix them up, I'm OK with that!!! Please let me know if you will be there!!! Again, sorry it has taken so much time to set this up, and I hope to see you!!!
    Last edited by crashx; 03-07-2014 at 10:44. Reason: Added text.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

If someone has a scenario idea they would like to do, speak up!!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I hope the turn out "Rocks the House" with thunderous broadsides!!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I will look at the calendar, and if we can make it, I would be happy to run a scenario.

Given the travel that some folks need to make, I am very open to a mixed day of WoG and SoG.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Hi guys,
    Beth and I should be able to make it. Let me know what your going to need as far as minis & maps. I have all the ships and 2 maps for Sails of Glory.

Have to check the calendar, but if I can swing it, count me in! I should know in the next couple of weeks what the schedule is (have a few weddings and events coming up, girlfriend has the dates and she's not here to "check availability" with).

Hey, thought I'd check in and see if we're still on for the 12th? Any idea on the total amount of sailors we'll have? 12th looks to work for me at this point.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Yes, we are still on for the 12th!!! I have only had a couple of people respond so far, but there is still time!!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Unfortunately, I wont be able to make it. I'll be at my dulcimer music group meeting late morning to afternoon. Have a great time and hopefully someone can take some photos?

Hey guys,

Thought I'd check back in! Do we have a list of attendees Crashx? Are we each bringing our own ships/mats/cards? Do we need to bring our mats?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As it turns out, Sue and I won't be able to attend tomorrow's gathering.

Hopefully, as the weather seems to have taken the turn to pleasantness, we'll see more get-togethers. Sometime this spring/summer, we would be open to hosting a gathering for anyone willing to travel to central Illinois.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    As it turns out, Sue and I won't be able to attend tomorrow's gathering.

Hopefully, as the weather seems to have taken the turn to pleasantness, we'll see more get-togethers. Sometime this spring/summer, we would be open to hosting a gathering for anyone willing to travel to central Illinois.
    Oh fudge!!! We're gonna miss you two!!!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd check back in! Do we have a list of attendees Crashx? Are we each bringing our own ships/mats/cards? Do we need to bring our mats?
    We got stuff, but if you want to bring stuff, it's up to you!!!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Unfortunately, I wont be able to make it. I'll be at my dulcimer music group meeting late morning to afternoon. Have a great time and hopefully someone can take some photos?
    We'll miss you, but maybe next time!!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    We'll miss you, but maybe next time!!!
    I sure hope I can make next time! Have a great time!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Let us know how the day went. Folks had beautiful weather for traveling - a nice change, indeed.

When will the next gathering occur?

Hey Eric,

Day went well (minus the collisions between ships and islands)! This was my first gathering, and Tim said not a lot of people showed up (four of us in total). Game was very close, two British frigates versus two French, and it came down to one French frigate with one hull box left, and one British frigate with one box left. A lucky shot by the British managed to eliminate the last crew box on the French frigate, before crawling away barely afloat.

Because none of us have played enough (or recently) we opted to use the simplified rules and didn't do a whole lot with crew actions. Even using just the standard rules with a couple of add ons (sail settings and such) it's still a great game. Hopefully now that the weather isn't as bad, we can get more consistent games in and start playing with more rules. Tim had created a great flag system that I thought would be incredibly fun to use. Would love to get a group of players together and try a line of battle type scenario using Tim's signaling system.

Hopefully you can join us next time!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the recap. I am really glad you and a few of the folks had a chance to meet. Once the semester is over, we'll start heading back home more often. We will have to get together sometime when we're in the city. What could be better than doing some dining, conversing, and playing.

Looking forward to hearing more about the signaling Tim developed.