View Poll Results: How many Starter Sets (if any) do you have?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not have any Sets:(

13 8.78%
  • Just One!

95 64.19%
  • Two!

30 20.27%
  • Three. I am an addict :O

5 3.38%
  • More than Three. Ahoy!

5 3.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Starter Sets do you own?

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Default How many Starter Sets do you own?

Considering the overall costs of additional items to buy separately, I have just ordered another (2nd) Starter Set as a real bargain here (84$ including shipping). I wonder how many (if any) Starter Sets forumers own so far.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I did the Commodore level, anticipating running games at conventions.

I doubt I will buy more, but I will buy future releases.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I did the Commodore level, anticipating running games at conventions.

I doubt I will buy more, but I will buy future releases.
    I read the names of the supporters at the end of the rules and it was so nice to recognize friends there:) I showed them my wife saying I knew these guys, I had played games with them at Origins...this is Eric ..and here - is the Big Boss

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Own two, thinking I wish I could snag some extra empty boxes to pack the rest of my double-tapped Wave 1 into.

Almost ashamed to say, I have six. Four still in the box and two opened and played with.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I bought a Starter Set to begin with along with the first wave of ships. At our annual convention a couple of weeks ago I picked up a complete Captain's Pledge from a dealer friend for cost, as he had already opened up everything and tried a solo game before deciding he didn't really care for the game! He almost had to twist my arm!!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Both of mine have been opened, but that was mainly to see how much I could consolidate into them.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I read the names of the supporters at the end of the rules and it was so nice to recognize friends there:) I showed them my wife saying I knew these guys, I had played games with them at Origins...this is Eric ..and here - is the Big Boss
    I know the feeling, my Friend. It is the same when reading your Friday night game postings, and seeing pictures of you and your family. The 'Drome and Anchorage are much more than war-game sites; they are communities.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Have 2, technically 3. Missed the boat on kickstarter, found 2, then picked up a captains level pledge and sold off one to a convert. Needed them primarily for running at conventions or the local stores.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

I have one starter set. I'll probably boost it in future with single ships.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Two for me as I wanted a model per ship card

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Elaborating on prior thoughts... if they did another Starter later, even if it was just new names and paint on the same four sculpts, I'd be in for two of it as well. Frankly, I think it'd be cool if they DID do something like changing it up every few runs--as long as the current version stays in the production rotation so rookies still have a shot--and maybe even SGN Duel Packs too.

I have just one set. Since I have not had an opportunity to play the game since I got it, I am leaving the ships boxed for now. I may sell or trade most of them, along with the promo ships, for more appropriate Napoleonic Era ships (mostly frigates and sloops with nothing bigger than a 74) assuming that with the success of the game they will be later produced. I will have to see what series 3 will bring.
    Last edited by Coog; 02-22-2014 at 09:48.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

You have far greater ability for focus than I do, Bobby. I was determined only to play WGF. Origins, last year, put an end to that self-delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Elaborating on prior thoughts... maybe even SGN Duel Packs too.
    Now that would be a GREAT idea, especially with the well known Frigate and sloop types, as long as they're not the same as available singles.

You have far greater ability for focus than I do, Bobby. I was determined only to play WGF. Origins, last year, put an end to that self-delusion.
    Not as much focus but rather practicality. I see a lot of games I want and in the past would have bought them. I finally came to the realization that I never played them, due to a lack of people with whom I could play the game, and they sat on a shelf gathering dust. It seems around my community the Magic cult has established a firm hold among the gaming masses along with a smaller 40K subculture. Whatever wargaming there was has disappeared. Even the D&D folks are no longer around. Whatever gaming I do is out of town and is few and far between. Therefore I have limited my purchasing to items that I really like for collecting as part of my favorite historical interests as well as for gaming use.

I bought an extra starter and 16 addtional single ships from Miniature Market. After playing a few games, I may have over bought. But, I purchased with running games at conventions and perhaps putting on some larger scenarios for the local group. But I will definitely buy into future waves.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Now that would be a GREAT idea, especially with the well known Frigate and sloop types, as long as they're not the same as available singles.
    Ed, the concept I was thinking of was basically take the two "same size" sculpts from a wave, new names and schemes, like the WGF Duel Packs vs. the Series 1-B release they launched with. For example...
    Wave 1: DP1 Concorde/Charmante/Magicienne 32 vs. Amazon (/Active?) 32, DP2 Slade 74 vs Temeraire 74
    Wave 2: DP3 Hebe/Virginie/Hortense/Pallas 38/40 vs. Swan 16, DP4 British 1st Rate ~100 vs. Ocean 118-120

Really, in my "ideal product structure" if I were Ares, each Wave would see releases as a dozen singles, two opposed-pairs Duel Packs and a full one-of-each-sculpt Starter or "sampler pack" if class limits allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Not as much focus but rather practicality. I see a lot of games I want and in the past would have bought them. I finally came to the realization that I never played them, due to a lack of people with whom I could play the game, and they sat on a shelf gathering dust. It seems around my community the Magic cult has established a firm hold among the gaming masses along with a smaller 40K subculture. Whatever wargaming there was has disappeared. Even the D&D folks are no longer around. Whatever gaming I do is out of town and is few and far between. Therefore I have limited my purchasing to items that I really like for collecting as part of my favorite historical interests as well as for gaming use.
    Some of that may be what We're Out To Conquer has done to D&D of late too, though.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

At the moment I have 4.
    All from the KS.
    One of these is going away as a gift tomorrow.

Two from Commodore level, one still unopened. Two copies of each ship so I wont have to change bases, well that was the theory. Haven't decided for wave 2 on what to get yet. 2 of everything would give 8 first rates which might look impressive but wouldn't get a lot of use, the agony of indecision

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jon

when I first answered, I had none.
    Now that I have 1, not sure if I should/can change my answer, giv a new answer (double vote), or just leave well enough alone?

I'm not sure if he can but, you might email Andrzej since he's the one who started thiis thread.
    Last edited by Gunner; 03-18-2014 at 13:39.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Dave

For shame those who have more than one! You know how hard it was for someone from Winnipeg to get their hands on even just a starter set who hadn't heard of Sails of Glory in time to be part of the Kickstarter! Well it was fairly annoying, and it took two months after release before a shop here finally brought one in for me. Oddly enough, it was a comic shop who don't stock boardgames or table tops.

I joke though. But only a little.

I guess I should feel bad because I have five sets. I don't.
    When I bought them the market had plenty. If you knew about the starter sets and didn't buy, tough.
    The reason I bought extras of every thing was to support Ares and have extras for customizing.
    No tears from me.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Dave

Cool story.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

I missed the kickstarter window but was able to get one starter set and atleast one of each of the other ships. I picked up a few extra ships for making into pirate ships or having as extras.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I have a Captains level kit and picked up an additional Starter set & a second mat.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Finally got one this week along with the last single ship. Our local game store bought 8 of each and got no mats and they are all gone instantly! Now we have four games a week so the guys who got the starter sets are sharing their spare ships but I am anxious not to have what happened with WOG/WOW while the long wait took a tragic effect. We had 30 players before the Fantasy Flight debacle, now we have two guys : ( I feel the Kick-Starter absorbed the bulk of the initial production leaving the rest of us high and dry. Hoping May is a real date and not another avalanche of disappointments . . . treading water mates!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

By the way, if anybody doesn't intend to keep their Starter box, PM me. We might be able to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey DB,

When I get home I will check if we still have one, and will PM you accordingly. If we do, it's yours, my Friend.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Eric--my thinking is that empty Starter boxes would be ideal for storing Wave 1 ships and accessories--then I only have to figure out something for Wave 2 and the Specials unless a higher-density Wave 1 and Accessories solution comes along. :)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey DB,

I have one. Do you want the insert?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have one starter set but if a second one was released with different ships, I think that I would buy another.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have one starter set but if a second one was released with different ships, I think that I would buy another.
    And I two more, budget allowing. Just for the four Wave 1 ships we have a deep well of reprint potential...

What I would have considered the ideal product model for SOG wave releases, per sculpt:
    -3 Single Packs
    -1 in a Duel Pack
    -1 in a Starter/Sampler Set
    -1 Ares Direct/BGG Exclusive (these ships would be the ONLY Ares direct offerings other than at conventions or in Kickstarters, and would be one-and-done releases like the Kickstarter Exclusives)

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

I would buy one if I can find one at a decent price including shipping

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am awaiting my second one at the moment.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Just one , for now maybe.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Just the one for me. Im gutted i missed the kickstarter stuff tho.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Does my homebrew Kickstarter Edition Starter count as a third? (Eric's surplus empty Starter box, plus one Counter Set and Mat Set, plus one each of the four Kickstarter ships) LOL

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I've been thinking of late; a dangerous thing I know!!

I've actually been thinking of buying another one or two starter sets for no other reason then just the added ships!!

Is there a 12 step program for this? If so, I hope my wife doesn't find out about it!!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have two starter sets Paul. It helps split up all the extra bits and bobs. I have also switched the British and French ships around, so that there are Brits in on box and French in the other.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I bought separate storage boxes for all my ships, as well as all the "bits and bobs"!

The original starter boxes now occupy an empty space on my shelf in my painting room!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Apart from the starter boxes I have a stack of boxed ships. I'm going to ask Boney10 about the very nice box he has for his ships which he showed me at WMMS.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I went with the Plastic Satchel Boxes from Jo Anne Fabrics as suggested by Eric! They work really well, and hold a lot!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'm kind of excited. A friend asked me last week about picking up a starter set. I might see the SoG community grow here after all.

Paul, I am glad the suggestion worked for you. Those bins make storage and transport rather easy. I think I am more excited about Jo-Ann Fabrics than Sue is. For those of you who are teachers, Jo-Ann fabrics provide a discount card. Most of the time, I can use it with other sales.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I bought a Starter Set to begin with along with the first wave of ships. At our annual convention a couple of weeks ago I picked up a complete Captain's Pledge from a dealer friend for cost, as he had already opened up everything and tried a solo game before deciding he didn't really care for the game! He almost had to twist my arm!!
    You lucky dog! I'm jealous, lol.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I find the deep dish clear Plano tackle boxes, with yellow tabs, work great for all my gaming storage needs. Perfect fits, and holds alot. They are the filler boxes for nylon tackle bags and readily available in sporting departments of stores around 3 or 4 dollars a box. Well worth it!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

With a used one I picked up here I now have three sets, and I find it's worth it for the ships.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I'm kind of excited. A friend asked me last week about picking up a starter set. I might see the SoG community grow here after all.

Paul, I am glad the suggestion worked for you. Those bins make storage and transport rather easy. I think I am more excited about Jo-Ann Fabrics than Sue is. For those of you who are teachers, Jo-Ann fabrics provide a discount card. Most of the time, I can use it with other sales.
    Eric, I currently have 6 boxes filled with ships, and will need at least one more to provide anchorage for the V & Cs being delivered tomorrow along with a few extra various ships to round out my American fleet!! Not to mention the boxes holding all the maneuver decks and other associated bits! Who would have thought a Naval building race could be so much fun!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I forgot to mention I purchased all the Jo Anne boxes on hand when they had a 30% online sale! The UPS guy was very happy the two large boxes he had to bring to the door were fairly light!!