Thread: What's a New Snotty to do?

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jon

Default What's a New Snotty to do?

With Starter Sets in short (or non) supply - how can new people get their feet wet?
    Especially if they're in an area where no-one has gotten any SoG items?

Not sure how others plan to do it, but here is my strategy.

Since a Starter Set consists of
    - Rule book.
    - Ship Mats (4); Markers, Tokens, Counters; Combat Rulers; Wind Gauge & Attitude Indicators.
    - For each Ship (4): Ship Miniature and Base; Ship Card and Base Card; Ship Log; and Maneuver Deck.

Now - the Rulebook is available in PDF form. ( This helped me decide that I really wanted to get involved! )

Next - some Ships are still available. So - I ordered 4 ships ( 2 SoLs and 2 Frigates, 1 each French and English ). Also I made sure each has a unique maneuver deck ( A/B/C/D ). ETA is hopefully this coming week!

Finally - Additional Ship Mats, Additional Counters. I've Pre-Ordered the Additional Ship Mats and Additional Counters. ETA on these is supposedly February, but if this is a re-print item it will possibly be a lot later.

Did I say finally? With the Ship Mats and Counters possibly not arriving for months, I may have to improvise.
    The Ship Mats, the Wind Gauge and Attitude, and some of the Markers and Tokens could be mocked up. The Combat Ruler may be more problematic - but can be guesstimated (once I have some ship bases for sizing comparisons). The Damage Counters is the hardest item to guess. There is an Alternate D30 Damage Chart that could be used for now, while waiting.

So - I think I've identified all the basic components to get going with Sails of Glory.

First thing I plan to do, once the ships arrive, is practice seamanship! I've noticed, on other threads, that some captains have problems, in the heat of battle, controlling their ships - which results in numerous collisions and entanglements !
    While I'll do some simple maneuvers in the wide ocean initially, there are a few other threads identifying some practice exercises. After these I think I may be ready for some live fire exercises.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

You're in much luck! One of the esteemed members of this fine group has already produced a D30 Chart for Damage. I believe it can be found under the Rules forum, or you may find it by doing a quick search!

Welcome Aboard!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Actually, the D30 Damage Chart may be found in the Files Section of the Anchorage under Game Aides!

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jon

Hi Paul,

I did notice the D30 Damage Chart late when I was composing the OP, and it does mean I could jump into making lots of noise and smoke on the water
    But I think I'll do some initial simple sailing for now - speaking of which a few packages just arrived, so I think my Ships have arrived!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

You can buy wooden combat rulers from this site at Anchorage store -> Official products -> Sails of Glory.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Jon,

Excellent! I hope you are now underway and running on a good reach with adventures ahead!!

Welcome Jon, starter sets are available still in Australia if you want to pay the extraordinary shipping see

http://milsims.com.au/node/126554

Anyone who is thinking of ordering one though should email to check the shipping cost and they still have them. They did last week when I was in.

Miniature Market has this stuff in stock at good prices:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catal...sails+of+glory

They are out of the starter sets, but you've already taken care of the ships.

Bob

Jon, check this link out.... One is available on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271400841141?lpid=82

But 'ouch' on the price.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jon

Thanks to all for the links

As I'm in Canada the EBay solution is out, shipping from Australia might be slightly high, and miniaturemarket looks interesting - but still need to pay off overpriced minis (Wished I had checked on prices here before they had shipped)

I think I'll be ordering some stuff (ruler, clouds, and one ship I don't have) from AA shortly.

Back to checking out maneuver decks and ships

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

With the rules published online, the real core starter set should include as a minimum: 1) a ruler, 2) damage and other special/action counters;). All other parts may be outsourced or substituted. Ships may be bought separately. The wind gauges are nice, but are not really necessary. Ship mats can be homemade ones (the original with cut outs are rather weird and not convenient).
    Of course the whole stuff is way cheaper when bought in a starter box...
    I have one Starter Box, two additional frigates (En/Fr), a custom mat with homemade terrain pieces, Coastal Batteries expansion on the way and that is fine for me for now and some time... Do not think I need anything more until I grab the advanced rules and could use them in battles

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jon

Yes. What I was hoping to do (with this thread) was to show how someone can get into the game without the Starter Set, if they can't wait for a reprint. It is more expensive (especially if you don't check around beforehand ).

I saw on BGG that someone had played once and put everything on eBay. Don't let that discourage you though! This is more than just the Starter box, but at least he is not gauging you on shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sails-of-Glo...6#ht_215wt_900

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Jon,

I'll have to check, but I think my local game store has one or two Starter Sets left. Let me know if you want one, and meantime I'll check to see if they are willing to ship one to you!

The damage chit sets come with rulers and wind gage and pointers. So it you down load the rules, get a set of the damage chits, and a set of extra ship mats, and some ships, you should have what you need to play. One each of the damage sets and ship mat sets are only $16-17 total from Miniature Market. And I'm not trying to puch MM (I buy stuff from the local shops, and many online sources), but they have the stuff in stock now for reasonable prices. If you had bought the ships there also, they have free shipping for order $100.00 or more.

Bob