Thread: Base mods and painted masts

Default Base mods and painted masts

A buddy of mine slightly pimped out a SOL by painting the masts, yards, bowsprit and fighting tops as well as a slight wash on the sails. The back sides of the main mast sails also seemed to have been undercoated and looked grey, so he painted them in white.
    I painted one base in dark green for an IFF system and took a black sharpie marker to the center grooves so they're easier to see. I'll do half my bases in that green so all the ships on one side will have color coordinated bases that are contrasted from the opposing side.
    Name:  Mod 1.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  66.5 KBName:  mod2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  60.9 KBName:  mod3.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  55.4 KBName:  mod4.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  59.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks good! It's going to be fun seeing how folks go about customizing their ships for play and/or just plain enjoyment! Thanks for the photos!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The green looks pretty good - great way to differentiate when playing a larger-scale game.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Agree!

I painted yards black, leaving masts yellow (Brittish). For the French, I'm thinking to paint masts some shade of khaki, or light brown, or else - to simulate wood, and also to differ them from Brittish (I'll paint yards black, too). Both fleets will have washed sails.

And with green bases, they'll be more different. And US, Spanyards etc, if and when they apear, could have different shades of blue and green.

Really lots of options, can't wait to see repaints start to pour in! Love to see these minis made that much better with some minor touch ups.

Ive started painting my French Commerce 74 with the two main masts (and no foremast) as a trial run to se how much work this is going to be. It took me an hour just to do the jib, bowsprit and mizzen mast to my liking, I think this might take forever. Very tricky to reach parts of the spars as the masts are already assembled. I noted that the ships do have a figurehead of sorts, a half human torso blob stuck on the front and I thought I might just paint them gold..any thoughts?

Given how long one mast and some other little bits took and there's still two masts to go and sail washes and rigging I'm thinking this could be a four hour job per ship..surely that cant be right? Ive got 28 ships, 4 KS specials to come and Wave 2 in May...it's a tsunami!!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Ive started painting my French Commerce 74 with the two main masts (and no foremast) as a trial run to se how much work this is going to be. It took me an hour just to do the jib, bowsprit and mizzen mast to my liking, I think this might take forever. Very tricky to reach parts of the spars as the masts are already assembled. I noted that the ships do have a figurehead of sorts, a half human torso blob stuck on the front and I thought I might just paint them gold..any thoughts?

Given how long one mast and some other little bits took and there's still two masts to go and sail washes and rigging I'm thinking this could be a four hour job per ship..surely that cant be right? Ive got 28 ships, 4 KS specials to come and Wave 2 in May...it's a tsunami!!
    Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour. A three hour tour. The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost. The Minnow would be lost.

LOL, I think after doing a couple of ships you will get much faster at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Default Painted masts and sails

I finally finished re-decorating of my starter fleet, and this is how it looks like:

Name:  Ships.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  67.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very nice, Heмaњa. Details on the sails really stand out well!