View Poll Results: How will you store your ships?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their original boxes.

18 27.27%
  • In a different container, but will keep the original boxes.

29 43.94%
  • In a different container, and will part with the original boxes.

19 28.79%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storage Solutions

Ordinary Seaman
    Japan

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeffrey

I've just bought my 4th 'wine gift box' at Costco. Wanted to be sure I had enough space for the Wave 2 ships. I kept 12 of the 16 I got in the KS (4 to my friend) and getting all 12 of W2 plus another 4 duplicates of W2, so 4 boxes should be enough.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by longagoigo View Post
    I've just bought my 4th 'wine gift box' at Costco. Wanted to be sure I had enough space for the Wave 2 ships. I kept 12 of the 16 I got in the KS (4 to my friend) and getting all 12 of W2 plus another 4 duplicates of W2, so 4 boxes should be enough.
    And the wine is worth drinking, correct? If so, I really do need to visit Costco. This is a great idea. I remember the picture looked quite nice - thematic storage in a way.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Default Storage of the fleet while at anchor......

Hey Everyone,
    Since I will be adding some new ships to my fleet and growing out of the starting core set, I was wondering what others on the forum use to store their fleets. If there are any good suggestions of a good tackle box type set up or anything else anyone has been creative with I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jack Tar; 07-03-2014 at 23:16.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Funny you should ask. I was working on my storage today after another trip to the dollar store.

This thread will give you an idea, but I will update it with new pictures: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...hlight=storage
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Thanks for the heads up Eric! I am pretty OCD with my board games and getting plano type bits and pieces boxes for all the parts. This is pretty much the route I had planned on going down. I would have never thought to go to JoAnn's or the dollar tree (I didn't know they carried this stuff) for these container thought. I usually just hit up the Bass Pro Shops that is near me, or my local hobby store. Speaking of Bass Pro Shops, I was looking online for super thin thread for rigging and fly fishing line came up. I have not really looked into it yet, but it seems like it could be a good option for getting a nice thin rigging line that may look more in scale to the size of the mini's.

Anyway...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

We recently received our order of magnets. We will put one on the bottom of each section in the carry case/bin, one under each ship base, and a smaller on on the bottom of each ship. This should secure everything nicely for travel.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

I am already in the process of researching the magnets I am going to get for outfitting my fleet. I like the idea of everything secured in its place for light travel and game play.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have to admit that I have hit Jo-Ann's more these past few weeks than I have in the past few years. I have picked up a few storage boxes, felt for mats, and smaller boxes to store other components as well.

If I get the chance Sunday, I'll have to take pics of everything and post them.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A little late, but...

I've found an Iris KP-XLPHO photo case works very nicely for frigates-and-smaller; each of the sixteen small boxes inside will take two ships complete with bases, decks and logs. (Note, this will not work for superfrigates like Humphreys 44's; the spars are too wide.) For my SOL's, I've found the Really Useful Box 0.3-liter business-card box just right for a single 74, again including base, deck and log--it'll probably be the choice for superfrigates too.

Still don't know what to do for First Rates, not having ordered any... I'll try to get pictures next weekend; so far they seem to work even without any foam.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I've found an Iris KP-XLPHO photo case works very nicely for frigates-and-smaller; each of the sixteen small boxes inside will take two ships complete with bases, decks and logs.
    How do you keep the ships from moving around inside the cases?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right now they're loose, but having the bases staggered means they only have a small area to move around in.

I'm a little less worried about the SOL's, which the combination of base, deck and log kind of form a "tent" around the ship leaving it unprotected only on the box's bottom and ends.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Have you transported the ships in these, or have they basically been used as storage?

I picked up such a photo case recently, but haven't found a configuration with which I am comfortable.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So far storage only... just put it together this weekend.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, they survived their first Road Test today... photos tomorrow since I can't upload from this crappy wifi hotspot. Won't even let me use IM or Thunderbird... ugh, I hate web-mail.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am curious to see. I like the photo case with all of the smaller cases. It seems ideal to transport and organize gaming items. My only concern after I tried one with WoG planes was the inability to secure the planes inside the smaller cases - too much movement for my comfort.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

First post, I'm attaching photos of the Really Useful 0.3L as I've loaded it with a Temeraire.

Name:  100_2429.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  107.3 KB
    Sorry, PITA camera autorotated these first two. Top view buttoned up and ready for rack...

Name:  100_2428.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  118.1 KB
    ...and with the lid and log removed--note, the hollow side of the base is in and the mast tip rests in that. My eventual plan is to get some spray-foam, use thin plastic to protect the ship, base and decks and shoot the box full of that for cushioning.

Name:  100_2427.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  119.7 KB
    Bottom view.

Name:  100_2426.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  111.8 KB
    End, showing angle--I bet things will work better once I move to the "cut pin, ream hole, and attach with nut and screw" method. Since I have to keep a screwdriver set in the First Aid Kit that goes everywhere with me anyway... LOL (Seriously, every few days I have to tighten one or another screw in my glasses, and the nice little Stanley set I found is everything I need for those, my laptop and my sidearm all in one bundle.)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And on to the Photo Cases...

Name:  100_2433.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  136.9 KB
    Name:  100_2432.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  102.5 KB
    I started with the Hebes, as our largest frigates so far--anything the size of Constitution is gonna need to be stored like an SOL. Logs do overlap the spars and sails slightly--here again, I'm thinking spray-foam with some "fingers" between the masts much like the original Wave 1 blisters. I suspect part of the problem in Wave 2 was the absence of those "fingers" holding onto the hull and preventing it from rocking...

Name:  100_2431.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  118.3 KB
    Name:  100_2430.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  114.9 KB
    And the Swans--pretty sturdy little guys, since they have much less mass per square mm of mast than the bigger kids. Major worry is keeping anything heavy from impacting the hull or mast... you could probably just find a box just big enough to hold the mini, let it float loose in the box then drop the box into the photo case.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks pretty cool, DB.

Your descriptions reminded me that the only Wave 2 ship I bought at Gen Con has the new secure packaging (not the 1st Rate btw, the medium frigates). Insertion on top of fingers really locks the ship in place.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If only the 0.3 was a tad wider or cards a skosh narrower... then you could stick the Capt/Crew Deck 10-card set on one end, and the ship's card across the other to tell what's in there.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nice, DB.

I am going to play around the photo cases. Since I am using laminated logs/mats, I need to figure out how to fill the space sufficiently to prevent a lot of moving around. I like the current bins I am using, but it would be nice to have something smaller for light travel - e.g. to a friend's home for a smaller game.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, like I said, you might look at various spray-in foams--they're kinda like the stuff spray-in truck bedliners are made from, but more "craft grade" and in somewhat less than industrial container sizes.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Personally, I went with a few different options for my ships.

Everything is stored in boxes from Snapware. These particular boxes attach to each other for greater ease of transport.

The ships themselves are in pluck foam bricks, which allowed me to make compartments the right shape and size for the ships. These bricks take up two of the Snapware boxes with extra space. In that extra space, I have the maneuver decks and the ship logs stored in custom tuck boxes for each of the ships. I also have the damage tokens stored in their respective bags.

The third and fourth box hold the rest of the components stored in token trays that I picked up at my FLGS, one tray for the marker tokens, and another for the ship tokens. They also contain the range rulers, a Really Useful box for the attuitude indicators, islands, shoals and firing markers, and a 3 foot by 3 foot blue felt mat used as a play area.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question: can anyone get me overall lengths and heights on the First Rates? If they're less than 90mm overall spar-to-spar and can be tipped to fit in a 90x65x55mm space, they might fit in an 0.3l box after all...

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Question: can anyone get me overall lengths and heights on the First Rates? If they're less than 90mm overall spar-to-spar and can be tipped to fit in a 90x65x55mm space, they might fit in an 0.3l box after all...
    They are about 95 mm in lenght ( base has only 75 mm, but the bow mast... ), 75 mm height ( with Base ) and the base has a side dimension of 50 mm.
    So the 0,3l box you will use won't fit.

I use for display atm this boxes:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Pro-Mold-P...item53fa107e4a

They are wonderful for display and have enough space for even the biggest ships.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, that's a big help. Still might work if I can tip them enough to make up the 5mm difference "on the slant" like I do on the Third Rates for their height.

75mm from pin to masthead... that's our "C" for a right triangle, c^2=a^2+b^2, a=box width and b=box depth, so... tipping it so the flat from pin-tip to masthead is 60mm across gives a height of 45mm. Tilting the long axis for a "flat length" of 85mm makes an elevation of ~42.5mm jib to spanker (NO COMMENTS, FRENCH, or I go get the Cat o' Nine!)... question becomes how hull and spar/sail width affect that geometry. I can test one once I get my First Rates ordered, but I'm smart enough not to hold my breath or go All In.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Here are some pictures from a ship in one of my boxes:

Name:  Spartiate 74 guns Box - 01.JPG
Views: 960
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  Spartiate 74 guns Box - 02.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  Spartiate 74 guns Box - 03.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  22.7 KB

To fix the ship in the box i use magnets:

Name:  Schiff Kasten - 1.JPG
Views: 970
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  Schiff Kasten - 4.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  121.3 KB

The picture was made bofore i added a second magnet to the box and at the buttom of the base.
    The magnets are strong enough that i can turn the box around with no ship movement at all.

But of course i didn't try if it holds when the box fall on the floor.

The boxes looks good when put on the shelf and i think they will also be good in transportation of the ships.
    Last edited by Arakus; 08-29-2014 at 14:43.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Tilting the long axis for a "flat length" of 85mm makes an elevation of ~42.5mm jib to spanker (NO COMMENTS, FRENCH, or I go get the Cat o' Nine!
    But that's for Flogging, not Spanking....

>;)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    But that's for Flogging, not Spanking....
    >;)

Did I just hear a volunteer to be KEELHAULED?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a nice looking display, Jörg.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Did I just hear a volunteer to be KEELHAULED?
    Nope -- and that's not Spanking either.

;)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

FRENCH! Are you gonna do this to EVERY single bloody thread on the whole bloody forum?

:P
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-31-2014 at 13:48.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

More like...

More like...
    Don't think any of it is working though.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

No, I think the only thing approaching the density of that skull is the core of a black hole... LOL A million comedians out there starving in the streets and here's Frenchy trying to join 'em.

Maybe other methods should be tried?

Name:  demotiv-electric-shock-therapy.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  71.0 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Excellent suggestion... now where'd I put my Taser?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"Cooler -- six weeks."

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: As of last Tuesday, the Iris KP-XLPHO has been riding around in the back of my aunt's car for one week with no observed damage. Will report more Tuesday--it's only still in there because I ASKED her to carry it back into my storage spot at her house, and even BRIBED her, and still she dropped the ball.

Same with the RUB 0.3L and its SOL...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Update: As of last Tuesday, the Iris KP-XLPHO has been riding around in the back of my aunt's car for one week with no observed damage. Will report more Tuesday--it's only still in there because I ASKED her to carry it back into my storage spot at her house, and even BRIBED her, and still she dropped the ball.

Same with the RUB 0.3L and its SOL...
    Well, that's *one* way to perform a maximum-stress test.... :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Anything breaks 'cuz she dropped the ball, SHE's buying the replacements. Good thing my KS Exclusives are all WELL protected in their vault...

I SHOULD make her refund my expediting fee too. Or at least make her buy the pizza, since I bought last time...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Good thing my KS Exclusives are all WELL protected in their vault...
    I have cats; I should probably be doing the same.... :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Do YOU have cats, or does SWMBO? More importantly, do YOU have them, or do THEY have you?

"Dogs have masters, cats have STAFF."

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Do YOU have cats, or does SWMBO? More importantly, do YOU have them, or do THEY have you?
    The cats live here; The SO IDs more strongly with them; I just open cans every so often, and take them to the vet. >:)

Am I the only guy having problems trying to follow DB & Chris's conversations?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    No, you are not the only one!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Oh, you mean these are conversations?

Unfortunately, I'm not having any problem.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL, tangents happen to the best of us... I think Chris is worried about a Furzilla-proof storage system for his just in case SWMBO's fuzzy little monsters get a 'tude.

I guess I should buy a cat and get married again (God, please forbid) so I could more easily follow the conversations/discussions.