View Poll Results: How will you store your ships?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their original boxes.

18 27.27%
  • In a different container, but will keep the original boxes.

29 43.94%
  • In a different container, and will part with the original boxes.

19 28.79%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storage Solutions

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

And a source in the UK they also do bespoke boxes which might be worth looking into. Of course you don't get any wine with these but that might save you money to put towards the next round of ships.
    Last edited by KeithS; 02-09-2014 at 07:34.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Those look like perfect for our use:

https://www.woodenboxuk.com/buy/thre...le-wine-boxes/

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

And a source in the UK they also do bespoke boxes which might be worth looking into.
    I am placing an enquiry with the UK box company to see what the minimum order size is for a bespoke order of boxes. These could be configured with exact sized compartments for ships and cards, a good quality latch and a "Ships of Glory" tile/logo (subject to Ares approval) on the lid. While this is just a 'blue sky' idea ATM and I don't know the costs, I thought that it might be worth gauging the level of interest in the idea.

I should also say that I don't want to step on any toes, so if Anchorage are planning anything similar, I am happy to back off.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    ty

Quote Originally Posted by longagoigo View Post
    Costco provides lots of gaming accessories, including chocolate, craft beer, wine, cheese and storage boxes.
    a gamer after my own heart.

o-genki desu ka?

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Jes, bonege!
    La ideo per la vino skatoloj estas tre bona ... speciale kiam boteloj estas ankoraŭ tie.

Joann's on-line were sold out of these as of yesterday midday. Also, all the area stores were sold out. I stopped at a Joann's on the way home from a game on Saturday evening and they were out of stock, and have been searching since. So ended up getting them off e-bay, didn't get quite as good a deal but didn't pay full price either.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nicely done, David. I do like the ability to adjust the dividers.

Bob, give the online store a week or two. I had the same issue, recently, with some picture frames. In-store stocks deplete pretty quickly due to the ever present sales.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

Bob, give the online store a week or two. I had the same issue, recently, with some picture frames. In-store stocks deplete pretty quickly due to the ever present sales.
    And due to policies about competitor coupons... between Jo-Ann and Michael's, every week one or the other has a "40% off one regular price item".

Went to my local JoAnn's yesterday and they didn't have the 9007AB - just the double deep ones. Checked online today and they are still S/O but ironically it showed my store having 5 in stock! I suspect once the Valentine's Day storage sale is over, they'll be back in stock and at full price you can apply the 40% off coupon.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Went to my local JoAnn's yesterday and they didn't have the 9007AB - just the double deep ones. Checked online today and they are still S/O but ironically it showed my store having 5 in stock! I suspect once the Valentine's Day storage sale is over, they'll be back in stock and at full price you can apply the 40% off coupon.
    They had a few in their online store early yesterday, but were sold out later in the day. JoAnn's is pretty good about restocking and sales. If price is a concern, wait a week or two, and all will be on sale for 50% off again.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Hello Eric,

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions on storage of these game components! I managed to visit a few (?) JoAnn stores locally and secured the one each of the ArtBins. I'm running into difficulty finding small enough containers for the individual ship and shore battery counters, but haven't exhausted all of my options yet. Is there any place online which sells these micro "food" containers and just what would one search under?

I think I will keep all of my original packaging materials and only utilize the ArtBins to transport the necessary parts to a game… I have a unique storage location for my gaming materials (er, other than ALL over my house! haha) and when I get organized (maybe the sun will go nova first…), everything will be alles in Ordnung ist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargantulance View Post
    Hello Eric,

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions on storage of these game components! I managed to visit a few (?) JoAnn stores locally and secured the one each of the ArtBins. I'm running into difficulty finding small enough containers for the individual ship and shore battery counters, but haven't exhausted all of my options yet. Is there any place online which sells these micro "food" containers and just what would one search under?

I think I will keep all of my original packaging materials and only utilize the ArtBins to transport the necessary parts to a game… I have a unique storage location for my gaming materials (er, other than ALL over my house! haha) and when I get organized (maybe the sun will go nova first…), everything will be alles in Ordnung ist.
    I found some small storage containers at JoAnn's. They are just big enough for the ship mat chits and are stackable. I believe they are also Artbin and are located in the storage aisle. They were on sale for .79c each.

Eric

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeff

Default My Foam Storage Solution

Hi Guys,

I was quick to post back in December 'How the hell do we store and travel with these ships?!" Many of you kindly replied with links to 4 companies that make storage foam. I didn't want to break the bank and really didn't know what would be best, but I am happy with my choice.

I ordered 'APC's' due to their price from Portable Warfare. Their blue foam looked REALLY cool, along with their carrying cases. But in a first for me, I decided NOT to go with the most expensive option.

I have my ship data cards and matts in a traditional baseball card box, and each fleet (until they get bigger) in an APC. I'm pretty pleased:

Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  135.1 KBName:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  173.7 KBName:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  193.7 KB

Hope this gives you an idea or two on how it can be done.

Jeff

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Jeff, for the information and photos. Nicely done.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I'd ditch the rubber bands in favor of dividers (grew up in Hawaii where humidity ruined several card sets by rotting rubber bands), but otherwise very cool.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice. Does the foam come pre-cut - you pull out the ones desired?

Very nice. Does the foam come pre-cut - you pull out the ones desired?
    I think these generally come complete and you pull out what you need. I have a camera case with the same system, i.e.; the little square blocks you pull out.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I think these generally come complete and you pull out what you need. I have a camera case with the same system, i.e.; the little square blocks you pull out.
    Thanks, Eric.

I just looked at the company's website. Currently out of stock, but I will pick one up sometime to play around with.

Just a note on Portable warfare, their Sergeant cases hold two, 2 1/2" and two, 3" trays with enough room to hold 4 Frigates and 4 SOL's with their bases, cards and ships logs ( so each bag holds two complete waves with pouches on the sides to hold chit bags, rule book etc.)

I don't care much for the Blu Foam Trays, their lines aren't cut straight and the glue spills out to adjoining squares making what ever you put in it stick to the bottom. On the other hand the sabol foam trays have straight cuts and rarely any glue seepage.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...0&d=1389931386
    http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...9&d=1389931386

Having said that, I'll probably switch to Keith's trays which looks the sturdiest of the lot. But you can't beat the Portable warfare Sergeant cases.
    Just my three cents worth.
    Last edited by Gunner; 03-01-2014 at 17:12.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeff

Thanks Ed. that's a great option too.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ed, are those pictures what you have set up? The case with the ship on it is quite nice.

What Keith is looking at producing does seem to be sturdy. The pictures of foam he showed were impressive regarding holding minis.

Ed, are those pictures what you have set up? The case with the ship on it is quite nice.

What Keith is looking at producing does seem to be sturdy. The pictures of foam he showed were impressive regarding holding minis.
    Yes, that's one of four cases that I have filled so far. 1 stock English, 1 stock French, 1 for customizing in progress and one for game and equipment.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

I just picked up the super satchel with removable dividers and found that the deck of manuever cards fits under the ships in each compartment perfectly! What a sweet find, thanks.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Well, Uli, I prefere the idea of emptying bottles more. I mean, you have to prepare materials

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Was the Costco wine any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund View Post
    Was the Costco wine any good?
    Surprisingly Costco does sell decent wine! I have seen their Kirkwood brand featured in Wine Spectator as a best buy (can't recall the varietal though).

Ordinary Seaman
    Japan

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeffrey

The 3 bottle gift box was wine sold at Costco, not Costco wine, but, yes, quite decent. Especially nice, since you can repurpose the wooden boxes for storage. I'll be picking up another two boxes in the next week or two.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I am placing an enquiry with the UK box company to see what the minimum order size is for a bespoke order of boxes. These could be configured with exact sized compartments for ships and cards, a good quality latch and a "Ships of Glory" tile/logo (subject to Ares approval) on the lid. While this is just a 'blue sky' idea ATM and I don't know the costs, I thought that it might be worth gauging the level of interest in the idea.

I should also say that I don't want to step on any toes, so if Anchorage are planning anything similar, I am happy to back off.
    Keith, did you get any further with this?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It looks like you could be onto a 'winner' there, Jeffrey.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

KeithS I am interested in what you find also.
    I have spoken to the chaps at KR who did say they would in time be making trays for SoG but most likely after May

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Delaney

I was thinking of something like this modified a bit. Add some divided area's in the bottom, and lift out trays. This would give a great feeling and would be very sturdy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1520028...w_type=gallery

Something like this would be easy to make

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Read View Post
    I was thinking of something like this modified a bit. Add some divided area's in the bottom, and lift out trays. This would give a great feeling and would be very sturdy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1520028...w_type=gallery

Something like this would be easy to make
    Would be very impressive to show up with this at a gaming table, especially for pirates!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Um, bonny lass, not sure how to break this to ya... but I've seen identical chests at Jo-Ann and Michael's.

Thought about 'em, but for me the game is to pack as much crap into a copy-paper case or Panera Bread Catering box as I can while still protecting the minis. (Bad enough I've already got ONE that needs a dab of superglue on a jib boom that's hanging on by a thread due to my clumsiness... :( )

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Thought about 'em, but for me the game is to pack as much crap into a copy-paper case or Panera Bread Catering box as I can while still protecting the minis. (Bad enough I've already got ONE that needs a dab of superglue on a jib boom that's hanging on by a thread due to my clumsiness... :( )
    No kidding -- packing for a gaming con, I find myself thinking about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkouut-9RQ .... :P

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Martin

Not specifically SOG miniatures, but I've had pretty good luck magnetizing the base and then using a standard steel tool kit. That said, the fact that the ships are not glued to the bases, combined with the fact I'd need to find a way to store the decks without them getting all intermingled, all kind of make that plan a little less attractive.

It would be nice not to have to carry a starter box, a storage box I put the tokens in, and whatever extra ships in my arms every time I want to move the game around.
    Last edited by mr7q; 03-27-2014 at 12:27.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Finally got a chance to try out and shoot those mini ammo-cans I was talking about over at the Anchorage--this test is with one of my KS Bellerophons.

Did the ammo can hold 50 cal chocolate ammo from the NRA? Almost bought some, was it any good?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Those cans look a good size for the models. I had not heard of 'Chocolate Ammo' before. It has not reached the U.K. yet, as far as I know. It will not be much use for 'red-hot shot' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Those cans look a good size for the models. I had not heard of 'Chocolate Ammo' before. It has not reached the U.K. yet, as far as I know. It will not be much use for 'red-hot shot' though.
    check this out.
    http://www.chocolateweapons.com/all-...e-weapons.html

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    My nieces husband got a chocolate "45" for the holidays. I don't think it made it to New Years? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    My nieces husband got a chocolate "45" for the holidays. I don't think it made it to New Years? lol.
    And he still ended up with a case for his 1911.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Makes a change from choccie Santas and rabbits I guess :)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Makes a change from choccie Santas and rabbits I guess :)
    New meaning to "chowing down on a .45".... >:)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well you can certainly' bite the bullet'.

We're on a site whose members fire 1000 lb broadsides at a time, and we make an issue of a gun that fires a 230 grain piece of lead, I mean chocolate.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ed, Chocolate Weapons is where I bought mine, both as pictured and the chocolate grenade in "wooden crate"-painted tin. Not Ghirardelli 86% Extra Dark, but the chocolate was ok (all two pieces that a friend and I've eaten so far LOL), and I got it on a sale that even if it were empty I'd have called that fair for the can alone.

BTW, I've talked with them directly, and they were willing to cut me some break on empty tins and were open to talking about a group buy... :)

Haven't done fit tests with WGF/WGS yet, though. I know it won't hold any of the bombers and I'd be leery of anything with a projecting nose or tail gun...

DB, if you get the time please check out the price & quantity needed. I'd like to get some to hold .38, 9mm & .45 ACP reloads. They look too small to hold many .45 long colts. They look much thinner and lighter than normal ammo cans. Even though they're not air tight, I'd like them for display in my reloading room.

Ed, Chocolate Weapons is where I bought mine, both as pictured and the chocolate grenade in "wooden crate"-painted tin. Not Ghirardelli 86% Extra Dark, but the chocolate was ok (all two pieces that a friend and I've eaten so far LOL), and I got it on a sale that even if it were empty I'd have called that fair for the can alone.

BTW, I've talked with them directly, and they were willing to cut me some break on empty tins and were open to talking about a group buy... :)

Haven't done fit tests with WGF/WGS yet, though. I know it won't hold any of the bombers and I'd be leery of anything with a projecting nose or tail gun...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Note already sent, Ed--also asked if they can drop-ship larger batches in a group-buy to separate addresses. :)

Landsman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Tim

I have put my SoG ships into a 5litre Really Useful Box.

I divided it up using 3.5mm square section plastic rod. These were secured using liquid poly glue.

The box can now hold 11 SoG ships securely (as long as you don't drop it).

http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes....ItmID=12357574
    They are available in the UK from HobbyCraft & Staples for about £5.00

Tim

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not Ghirardelli 86% Extra Dark, but the chocolate was ok
    Ah -- another fan of Dark Chocolate. >;)