View Poll Results: How will you store your ships?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their original boxes.

18 27.27%
  • In a different container, but will keep the original boxes.

29 43.94%
  • In a different container, and will part with the original boxes.

19 28.79%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Storage Solutions

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The foam I am using is from Figures in Comfort, and has 15 mm squares so may be comparable. Otherwise I will draw up a sheet of paper in 14 mm and superimpose the ships onto it.
    Rob.
    Rob, don't draw it, I can draw it in AutoCAD and send you a PDF for printing. Drawing by a pencil is not necessary

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Copy that.
    Thanks Daniel. I will await your PDF then.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

OK, PDF is here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got it Daniel.
    I will get onto this as soon as I can.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

We have plenty of time, Rob - I even didn't started with mine. I'll post my list today.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

OK Daniel.
    I just printed off the grid full size so I can lay the ships out on the squares.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

OK, here is a list of my ships that I am able to draw:

Britain
    I
    HMS Victory 1783 HMS Victory 1805
    Britain
    III
    HMS Defense HMS Vanguard
    Britain
    III
    HMS Bellona HMS Goliath
    Britain
    V
    HMS Terpsichore HMS Meleager
    Britain
    V
    HMS Cleopatra HMS Iphigenia
    Britain
    V
    HMS Orpheus HMS Amphion
    France
    I
    Orient 1791 Austerlitz
    France
    III
    Genereux Aquilon
    France
    V
    Carmagnole 1793 Sybille
    France
    V
    Courageuse 1778 Unite 1787
    Spain
    III
    Argonauta Heroe
    Spain
    V
    Sirena Ifigenia

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Daniel.
    That will save me some work.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Rob, I will be off for more than week, but hope I will continue than. This project has a priority for me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have all the ships cut outs drawn up Daniel, excepting the Kick Starter Frigates which I never got hold of.
    Just need to make them presentable for you.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

OK, I am done too. Let's see the result:

Name:  Dan-Sam ships.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  81.6 KB

I counted with 14 mm raster.
    Lighter tone colors mean that the square may be (or may be not) cutted.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, the KS frigates differ from their mainline SGN101 and SGN103 sisters only in paint, paper and package-printing. Frankly, if I'm remembering right they even have a slight stats DISadvantage... so other than completionists they pretty much mainly offer only Bragging Rights between Look What *I* Got and if you have the skill to win against a better ship.

As a general rule, even if I do hit a table my KS ships will probably not see play--they'll be there to show I have them, but their logs will be partnered with a sister miniature on the play map--I've even gone so far as to repack the four I unboxed into an empty Starter box.

Dan, curious... Sirena and Argonauta should be no different from the other SGN101 (Courageuse) and 103 (Genereux) minis.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Don't expect perfect work from me :) I put them on the rasterized paper and look at them. May be I turn Spanish ships a little. Anyway, this is an important information for me - I will work with it and probably update my schemes.

Thank you :)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Still a good start, amigo--you've done more than I would've, I'd probably have just boiled it down to "common denominators" for the First Rates, Third Rates (maybe even a common "SOL" slot for both) and 12-pounder frigates, leaving unique layouts only for Constitution, the Hebes and the Swans. (Yeah, I'm lazy like that... lol)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I have seen yours Dan I think I can finish mine to a degree of quality that will be acceptable.
    I will try and get it done next week.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Rob, the KS frigates differ from their mainline SGN101 and SGN103 sisters only in paint, paper and package-printing. Frankly, if I'm remembering right they even have a slight stats DISadvantage... so other than completionists they pretty much mainly offer only Bragging Rights between Look What *I* Got and if you have the skill to win against a better ship.
    Thanks for the clarification on that DB. Should be straight forward now. i managed to bag Redoutable, and did a repaint of Beleraphon so knew about them, but was not sure about the KS Frigates.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

I will applicate them during a week or two, so I will start with smaller holes and (in case they won't be OK) continue the the second version.
    Honestly, I have a problem with my briefcase and, vbecause I want to have it even for cards, I will install V. class ships verticaly (2x5 squares) to 6 cm foam.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Just finished my briefcase. Looks good, but I am too tired even for some photos. Tommorow, may be...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have been struggling to find a way to draw the outlines onto your grid on the computer,or colour them in like yours. I cant see any way of doing it. I even tried changing to Photoshop but some of the lines fail to show up. I have had the drafts done since before Doncaster.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Hello sailors,
    I am really happy I could join you on this forum and share a little bit of my own creations for this wonderful game. It is just a few week since I bought my starter set and then 6 more ships (only ones available in my country) and after that I immediately started to work on more stylish storage solution.
    I started with wooden box originally from tea collection. I was really lucky because ship's bases fits there precisely, they are even under slight pressure, so they hold in places nicely. After that it was just a matter of 3D modeling and printing. I also added decorative plaque on top of box to cover original tea logo. Enjoy some pictures below :-)
    Name:  IMG_20190622_160321.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  115.2 KBName:  IMG_20190622_160433.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  117.6 KBName:  IMG_20190622_160934.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  133.0 KBName:  IMG_20190622_160956.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  145.7 KBName:  IMG_20190622_161055.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  194.8 KBName:  IMG_20190622_161131.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  108.0 KB

As you can see it stores 10 ships with all 10 maneuver decks(sleeved) and also ship logs.
    Golden pieces that secure ships in place are attached via small magnets.
    Next upgrade is going to be two brass latches on the front side of the box, because there is no locking mechanism at the moment. And as the last thing I would like to replace the red fabric with golden "Twinings" logo on the inside of the lid with a blank one :-)
    Last edited by Fresco; 06-22-2019 at 14:12.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

That box is very nicely done Daniel. Very nice indeed

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly a very warm welcome to the Anchorage on behalf of the sailors based here.
    Coming from the Country with the famous Prague event is an extra special plus.
    We had a great week there in April.
    Your first post is as Captain Duff says, very impressive. we could all do with a couple of those for taking our ships to events. It is a great method of securing them and allows the rigging of each ship which mine in the origonal boxes does not.
    Do pop onto the Report for Duty thread and let everyone else know that you are here.
    May you sail with a fair wind.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

That‘s a deluxe edition, Daniel!

Landsman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Aye aye, Admiral Rob. Done. :-)
    Thank you all for kind words of recognition. I'm quite happy how it turned out on the first try however used plastic wasn't the best for this job. Especially the maneuver card holder is little problematic due to its length of 250mm - it curved up during printing, so now I can't close the box completely. It was planned to be very tight fit due to the given dimensions of the box. But with latches on the box and little bit of pressure it will be possible to close it completely. This could be eventually resolved also with different type of plastic that doesn't shrink so much during printing :-)
    I'm looking forward to make some more things. Now the original paper game box will get some rework inside, because I would like to design some nice themed storage for ammunition and crew action tokens. Also I want to glue ship mats on thin sheet of wood, so I need space for that in the box.
    If there will be some interest I could also offer making of this storage system or at least the plastic parts for that. Slight modifications for different wodden boxes are possible :-)
    Last edited by Fresco; 06-22-2019 at 14:50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would certainly be up for acquiring the plastic inners Daniel. I suspect that I need to start drinking a lot more Tea and less G&T.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

I suppose you have tens of ships, that would be a lot of boxes and tea I'm afraid :-D But maybe you can find some shop that sells wooden boxes. :-) My box has inner dimensions of 276mm x 251mm x 75mm. It is really the minimum in all axis for 10 ships and this layout. In Z axis it would be much better to have 80mm, because as I said before mine is hard to close. If you can find something similar I can try to make modification to fit new box :-)

In the case of higher demand I can also try to find source for some nice appropriate boxes and transform whole bunch of them into uniform final storage boxes. I can see there also space for some further improvements of design and quality :-) But I'm afraid shipping cost would be quite high for such heavy and big item :-(
    Last edited by Fresco; 06-22-2019 at 16:17.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My idea is to just box my special ships for shows in the main Daniel.
    Then my specials for the Campaign we do here, with an eye to rigging them, and also my ship on fire, or sinking ones which will no longer fit into the Ares boxes. As for the outer cases, I could make them myself to fit the inners when they arrived. After the caning we get every time something comes from the States, the postage from your beautiful country would be a mere bagatelle.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I absolutely agree with Rob. A single box or two would be enough for me too, even though the number of ships have passed that dreadful 100... It's just gorgeous!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With only the floor to lay in the new Kitchen and extension, I am now gradually reclaiming my Games room. At least the part which is finished. I still have a Fridge and Freezer to hoick out. This shows the cupboard housing my Sails collection. It went in yesterday. now just got the under table storage, games table and back scenery to sort out. Hopefully next week.

Name:  IMG_7771.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  205.3 KB
    Rob.

Landsman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Rob: If you can make wooden boxes by yourself it is amazing.
    I just found out I don't have enough magnets at the moment so I'm oredering more, it will take unfortunately a few weeks for them to arrive. In the meantime I would like to put my box under more testing, next week I'm taking it for a first trip, so I will see how everything holds up. I want to be sure it is flawless product before sending it to the world :-) At least I think I have to reduce size of that yellow holding pieces little bit, because sometimes front sails of some larger ships are in the way and it is hard not to hit them.

Jonas: Thank you very much, I can make them for you if you wish. Do you think you can somehow get matching wooden boxes? It does not to be preciesely the same as mine, I can make some adjustments and try to find some way to make it work :-) They can be even smaller or bigger to fit different number of ships.

Probably we could arrange individual details in private messages if you want

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I will start looking for boxes and then I'll let you know.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I just "invested" (it was super cheap) in a new and larger storage system. I found interlocking plastic tubs with a carrying handle (and tall enough to fit the masts) and lined them with soft, grippy drawer liner cut to size. I can tip the whole contraption more than 45 degrees without ships falling. I think the whole setup maybe cost me $10-12?

Name:  Storage 1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  153.6 KB

Name:  Storage 2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  234.8 KB

Name:  Storage 3.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  212.7 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nicely done

How many ship bases does it hold?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

32, I think, if you lay everything flat. It looks like you can buy additional tubs to attach. Here's my collection organized according to rating:

Name:  Storage 4.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  230.3 KB

Name:  Storage 5.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  241.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very good solution to storage with minimum space considered. Great for anyone who is not throwing them about at shows.
    I like the cut of your jib sir.
    Bligh.