Thread: How Does One Recruit New Sailors to the Anchorage?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Question How Does One Recruit New Sailors to the Anchorage?

I'll be running some demo games this Saturday for my gang, and was wondering what's the best way to recruit, or press, new men onboard The Anchorage?

Any suggestions? Just giving out the address would seem rather slack knee to this old salt!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Offer them a mug of beer with a shilling in the bottom , when they have drunk the beer stun them with a marlinspike, drag them to a PC and tie them up, then refuse to release them until they have signed up. Is that salty enough for you?

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Offer them a mug of beer with a shilling in the bottom , when they have drunk the beer stun them with a marlinspike, drag them to a PC and tie them up, then refuse to release them until they have signed up. Is that salty enough for you?
    I disapprove your methods. They are obsolete AND expensive! Bit of chloroform does the job!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    I disapprove your methods. They are obsolete AND expensive! Bit of chloroform does the job!
    Perhaps chloroform might do the job but where you see obsolescence I see time honoured tradition. As for expense even I can afford a shilling, although admittedly beer is a bit expensive nowadays.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Over at the Aerodrome, we have some flyers and business cards that can be printed out and given to players. I"m afraid that has not been done yet for this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have just told people about the site and recommend they check it out. I give out my name and tell them to use me as a referral on the sign up. I also tell them that I only benefit by getting a feather in my cap and a new shipmate to converse with. It's worked a few times so far. Good luck with the pressgang.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Over at the Aerodrome, we have some flyers and business cards that can be printed out and given to players. I"m afraid that has not been done yet for this site.
    I know someone.

This year, I want to print some cards - Aerodrome on one side, Anchorage on the other. One, I think most people will forget if they do not have something in-hand with the info. Two, they come aboard with someone's name they can immediately connect to, ask questions of, etc. Three, as I talk about the sites and games with folks, they seem interested - I am referring to conversations during the course of my normal days, not at cons. These times have been when I wished I had something to give them.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I know someone.

This year, I want to print some cards - Aerodrome on one side, Anchorage on the other. One, I think most people will forget if they do not have something in-hand with the info. Two, they come aboard with someone's name they can immediately connect to, ask questions of, etc. Three, as I talk about the sites and games with folks, they seem interested - I am referring to conversations during the course of my normal days, not at cons. These times have been when I wished I had something to give them.
    Hey, I have that someone working on other things. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I would also tell folks that the Anchorage encourages participation, but we don't mind anyone who just wishes to 'lurk' and soak up the tips, tricks and quality research that is certainly in evidence here!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"Rum drinks! Mixed rum drinks! Men, in the English Navy, they used to give you a couple of rum drinks -- you'd end up on an English ship with some saying 'Arr, yer in the navy, boy! Y'arr! Didja enjoy yer rum drinks, smartarse? Aye!" [Robin Williams]

>:)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

What? What happened to Free Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    "Rum drinks! Mixed rum drinks! Men, in the English Navy, they used to give you a couple of rum drinks -- you'd end up on an English ship with some saying 'Arr, yer in the navy, boy! Y'arr! Didja enjoy yer rum drinks, smartarse? Aye!" [Robin Williams]

>:)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
    What? What happened to Free Beer!
    Takes too much to get a good sailor drunk. vs

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Takes too much to get a good sailor drunk. vs
    Aye!! The more we drink the more we laugh at the drunken landlubbers!!!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Offer them a mug of beer with a shilling in the bottom , when they have drunk the beer stun them with a marlinspike, drag them to a PC and tie them up, then refuse to release them until they have signed up . Is that salty enough for you?
    Of course the shilling is held in the bottom of the glass by a drop of wax!! A very salty suggestion indeed, sir!!!!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post

Aye!! The more we drink the more we laugh at the drunken landlubbers!!!!
    ARRR!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And this is why I am a Pirate -- at least I know all my men *want* to be here.... ;)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you have a laptop or tablet with wi-fi, take it with you to the game, show them how good the Anchorage is and offer to sign them up on the spot. Make sure that you emphasize that it is free!