Thread: How many ships per player

Default How many ships per player

John Greybeard and I ran a 6 ship game last night with just the two of us playing three ships each. We ran it with one SOL and two frigates per side and did not use the crew management and special damage rules, but most of everything else.
    We had no problems running three ships each. We managed to encounter a pretty broad spectrum of the rules and it didn't slow us down. Collisions, entanglement, rakes, different kinds of ammo usage, boarding, and musketry.
    I was worried playing more than two ships would be a problem, but it went pretty smoothly.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    John Greybeard and I ran a 6 ship game last night with just the two of us playing three ships each. We ran it with one SOL and two frigates per side and did not use the crew management and special damage rules, but most of everything else.
    We had no problems running three ships each. We managed to encounter a pretty broad spectrum of the rules and it didn't slow us down. Collisions, entanglement, rakes, different kinds of ammo usage, boarding, and musketry.
    I was worried playing more than two ships would be a problem, but it went pretty smoothly.
    That certainly exceeds what most folks were speculating as to the number of ships easily handled by one person. I expect you and your buddy are experienced gamers though. Novice gamers (like myself) probably aren't going to be able to do more than one ship at a time, maybe two after a few games?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Having run multiple planes in WoG, it creates a very different feel for me than when playing one. I think the system is simple enough to reach the level of three ships in short order. That is one thing I appreciate about these games - being able to bounce between a single unit and multiple depending upon the desires for a given session.

Andy, do you plan on playing 3+ ships with a full compliment of rules anytime soon? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience, including tips.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Having run multiple planes in WoG, it creates a very different feel for me than when playing one. I think the system is simple enough to reach the level of three ships in short order. That is one thing I appreciate about these games - being able to bounce between a single unit and multiple depending upon the desires for a given session.

Andy, do you plan on playing 3+ ships with a full compliment of rules anytime soon? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience, including tips.
    We were playing Squad Leader in the 8th grade, so we're pretty experienced. I wouldn't suggest this in a demo game for new players. We'll probably do a game with full crew management this coming Saturday. We're only going to run one SOL each for that just to see how it goes.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Playing with multiple ships allows your force to act as the fleet, more then in one man - one ship games.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

My oldest son and I faced off yesterday with two SoLs each. We used "Basic Plus" rules...all the basics plus planning next move, the various ammunition types and sail damage(he REALLY wanted this one), but we did not yet add in all special damage or crew actions. The game did not go much slower than running a single ship does. With full crew management and special damage to account for it would be a different story.

The advantage of the two ships is it did keep the game engaging. The first time I drew damage for HMS Defense I pulled a few chits at or above burden and multiple crew hits (double shot front rake!). It hurt. A turn later we exchanged musket fire between the other two SoLs. This time I drew almost all zeros and he took five crew hits. In each case we quickly had one ship crippled and one at decent strength. With just a single ship each I could see cases where one side could fall into a pretty hopeless position pretty fast depending on the draw.

That being said, I still think full crew management with a single SoL (or maybe two Frigates) will be a sweet spot if you can do team play.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephane

With 3 ships each it must take a huge table to have the mats and the ship mats.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Standard 180cm x 120cm (roughly 70'' x 47'') table can stand a lot of ships. It's not allways available at home, but in local club probably should be. If you have a chance to double it, you get 240cm x 180cm (roughly 94 x 70''). So, on such tables you can play pretty big games.

Mats itself are not necessary for such game - you can spread marine blue sheet, or you can paint the table itself. When you pepper it with terrain elements, you have propper battlefield to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by nilliom View Post
    With 3 ships each it must take a huge table to have the mats and the ship mats.
    We used two game mats and it was plenty of space. I had a 4'x6' sheet of plywood for our table.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

and did not use the crew management and special damage rules
    So no Actions at all? I think playing at Basic Plus rules would easily allow a single person to run 3 or 4 ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    So no Actions at all? I think playing at Basic Plus rules would easily allow a single person to run 3 or 4 ships.
    No actions. We just declared if we were changing sail settings before movement. We ran the guns basic style, except you could load fancy ammo. I screwed up, but he got me with double shot pretty good a few times.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Yep, no Actions would basically make this game on par with WGS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

No actions. We just declared if we were changing sail settings before movement. We ran the guns basic style, except you could load fancy ammo. I screwed up, but he got me with double shot pretty good a few times.
    I am going to try this as well. This should work for small convention games with players who are new to the game, but experienced wargamers.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

I prefer 2 ships per person.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

My daughter and I have been running 1 - 2 ships a game just so she can get the hang of it. This morning I came back from the head to see she added a new class of ship.

USS Cinderella.
    Last edited by BRIAN DUNBAR; 02-01-2014 at 18:35.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN DUNBAR View Post
    My daughter and I have been running 1 - 2 ships a game just so so she can get the hang of it. This morning I came back from the head to see she added a new class of ship.
    USS Cinderella.
    Sneaky! It probably has killer stats too?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

It's got a frying pan so it's got a little something.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

That reminds me on a film with an US submarine in the same color...But I forgot the title...... name of the film? Who knows?

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Yes, thank you in German: Unternehmen Pettycoat. That`s a funny movie, I love Hornsby....

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Back in the good old days when I first started AoS wargaming Liz said she wanted a ship of her own. I picked up a Skytrex Christian VII which was to become hers. Then she said she wanted it painted pink. So for the last 25+ years my fleet has been graced with a lovely 3rd rate with pink sides. Its quite a conversation piece (almost as much as my pink Triplane (Laura's) and my pink P-40 Kitty Hawk (based on a plane that used to do the UK airshow circuit back in the 1980s)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Back in the good old days when I first started AoS wargaming Liz said she wanted a ship of her own. I picked up a Skytrex Christian VII which was to become hers. Then she said she wanted it painted pink. So for the last 25+ years my fleet has been graced with a lovely 3rd rate with pink sides. Its quite a conversation piece (almost as much as my pink Triplane (Laura's) and my pink P-40 Kitty Hawk (based on a plane that used to do the UK airshow circuit back in the 1980s)
    Now,all you need to round out your collection is a pink Cadillac.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'll put one on my shopping list :)

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

Okay.... Now Megan wants to repaint a couple ships with pink and purple sails.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Seems entirely reasonable. After all, the RN had several pink destroyers and cruisers in WW2 :)

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN DUNBAR View Post
    USS Cinderella
    I had to show the picture to my wife, and she wanted me to post that she likes it a lot

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

THE FIRST ONE OF YOU TO BRING OUT A "MY LITTLE PONY" FLEET DIES HORRIBLY. >;)

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Can you imagine Pink Dozen, including Yellow Duck!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Well...in my Lord of the Rings gaming (28mm) my daughter painted up a couple of my models so I have some Elf warriors in glorious pink and purple.

And in Flames of War (15mm WWII) we have a player with his German Panther tanks painted pink ( Pink Panthers...original )

So it's not unheard of. But I do love the proxy ship she brought along! That sort of engagement at a young age goes a LONG way to making life long players and keeping the "game" in wargame.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    Well...in my Lord of the Rings gaming (28mm) my daughter painted up a couple of my models so I have some Elf warriors in glorious pink and purple.

And in Flames of War (15mm WWII) we have a player with his German Panther tanks painted pink ( Pink Panthers...original )

So it's not unheard of. But I do love the proxy ship she brought along! That sort of engagement at a young age goes a LONG way to making life long players and keeping the "game" in wargame.

If pink playing pieces are the price of admission for a father and daughter to play together, paint them all.

When I was young, I didn't pay attention to the color schemes on German WWI planes. When I started playing WoG, those schemes took me by surprise.

A pink German Panther. I am tempted.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

realy ????????????

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

My wife has her own Pink Peril* with her own markings
    (*used to be Sopwith Camel ).

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    A pink German Panther. I am tempted.
    Pretty soon....

>;)

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

По противнику, ОГОНЬ

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    По противнику, ОГОНЬ
    No hablo....

По противнику, ОГОНЬ
    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    No hablo....
    The enemy, FIRE!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    No hablo....
    At the enemy, FIRE

(in Russian, to support the music )

(in Russian, to support the music )
    Wondering why you used Russian instead of Непријатељ, ВАТРА

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Voitteko auttaa minua?
    En ymmärrä tätä.
    Voisitteko kääntää sen minulle?

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey View Post
    Voitteko auttaa minua?
    En ymmärrä tätä.
    Voisitteko kääntää sen minulle?
    ("Can you help me?
    I do not understand this.
    Could you translate it for me?")

*That's not what Simo Häyhä said

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Hyvin bravo.
    Voit käyttää EU: N Kääntäjä

using EU-translater ?

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Just Google Translate

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh -- that explains the smoke and dust.... :)