Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Naval Action-PC Game in the Works

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The minis might be changed to other basing and be used with other rules if I loose interest in SoG but I doubt I will stop using the even though I might spend time at Great Northern Wars Thirty Years War or American Civil War again.
    And that, in a nutshell, is the beauty of historicals versus fantasy and sci-fi games: your preferred units and factions can never get "squatted"*, and your minis can be re-used in new, as yet unwritten rulesets.

Plus historical minis seem to be quite a good value (in terms of cost) compared to most fantasy and sci-fi systems. I quite like that.

* "Squat" is also sometimes used as a verb by fans of Warhammer 40k. This refers to the removal of the Squats from both the game and the fluff behind it; in particular, some people believe that other armies will be "squatted" from 40k, which is to say, their model line will be removed and they will no longer be playable in 40k.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Does Naval Action have a sandbox mode where you can create your own scenarios and select your own ships for something more historical, instead of this gamey head-to-head kid stuff?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword56 View Post
    Does Naval Action have a sandbox mode where you can create your own scenarios and select your own ships for something more historical, instead of this gamey head-to-head kid stuff?
    Naval Action is a MMO (massively multiplayer online) game with a dynamic open world. What that means is that the players are constantly interacting with each other, as well as the environment, and defining in that moment what exactly is going on. In that sense, the game is solely a sandbox mode - though there is the option of engaging in large and small fleet skirmishes via the "Missions" menu available in any port in the open world.

You start off as a Midshipman (or equivalent, depending on your faction) with command of a fore-and-aft rigged Cutter with 40 crewmen. From there, you can complete Admiralty Missions against pirates, engage in trading, and perform crafting to "level up" your character, earning gold (needed for buying supplies, trade goods, better cannons, etc.), XP (needed for promotion to higher ranks) and Crafting XP (needed for manufacturing more advanced components / ships / etc).

As you get promoted, you'll be able to command larger crews and hence, larger ships. You can sail larger ships with smaller crews but the performance of the ship will suffer. Same goes for crafting, at the beginning you'll only be able to make basic things, but as you level up you'll be able to produce more sophisticated and better quality items, allowing you to craft more advanced goods and, ultimately, better quality ships. Gold is self explanatory but needed to purchase trade goods (there's a full economy in place, though it's early access so it needs some tweaking) as well as purchase a variety of upgrades (to make your ship more competent) as well as ships crafted by other players and listed for sale in various ports.

The entire Caribbean has been recreated based on 18th century maps and you can literally sail anywhere you want. Different ports are controlled by more-or-less historically accurate nations and you can engage with trade with those with whom you are not at war and/or which are neutral.

Groups of players have teamed up to create "Guilds" and "Clans" which engage in warfare with one another on the PVP (player vs player) server to conquer ports and, thereby, take over more and more of the map.

On the PVE (player vs environment) server, you don't fight against other players but rather against AI opponents. Conquest of harbors is not permitted, but players can and do team up to take on stronger AI opponents in larger fleet engagements.

I'm far from an expert on Naval Action but I think the above is sufficient to demonstrate that there's a bit more going on than "kiddie stuff" in the game.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Steve, thanks for the summary. I'm sure a lot of people find Naval Action fun. But to me, it seems to be set up so rigidly that there's only one way to play and enjoy it (MMO, career mode, unlocking ships), and that's not that way I enjoy wargames. It's a shame, because the environment looks so great that it would be a promising computer alternative to physical miniatures. What I'd want would be the option to set up one's own live game on open water or a water-land map (either provided ones or modder contributions) select any available authentic ship types, set the various conditions for the scenario, and play. Then one could stage historical battles, or use it as a tactical engine to resolve battles when they occur in operational-level naval wargames like mine (A Glorious Chance) or 1805 Sea of Glory, etc. They could easily have done that, but the online gaming world always seems to follow the money (no surprise there) and aim for the largest and most commercial audience.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I've owned Naval Action since Dec. 2014 but have only played it off-and-on, after an initial 40hr+ burst of enthusiasm during the "Sea Trials" phase. At that time, I believe I only unlocked up to the Snow or something, so I've never even had one of the really powerful ships yet.

Now that I've begun playing (only on the PvE server) after the hard wipe, I have only worked my way up to a Lynx, which I was able to take as prize from some pirates as part of an Admiralty mission. It's not a very powerful ship, but I love schooners and I love the look of the Lynx, so I'll be quite happy with it for a while.

I'm a little intimidated by the grind required to get up into the larger ships, but hopefully I'll someday unlock the USS Constitution. That's the one I'm looking forward to :)
    Steve: Try to get a Privateer - basically a Lynx with 12 18 lb carronades. Fast upwind and will demolish AI at close range and with enough crew to board and take traders. The AI privateers are usually armed with 6 lb cannon and you can take them with a basic cutter. You can find them in missions. Take down the stern and grape the crew to cap it.

I have more fun with the mid level ships anyway so I don't look at the grind that far, also more small ships are on the way - USS Rattlesnake is one. On the PvP server there are shallow water port battles where the largest ship allowed is a Mercury brig. Finding a group and capturing an AI 3rd rate will net you a lot of XP.

Steve, thanks for the summary. I'm sure a lot of people find Naval Action fun. But to me, it seems to be set up so rigidly that there's only one way to play and enjoy it (MMO, career mode, unlocking ships), and that's not that way I enjoy wargames. It's a shame, because the environment looks so great that it would be a promising computer alternative to physical miniatures. What I'd want would be the option to set up one's own live game on open water or a water-land map (either provided ones or modder contributions) select any available authentic ship types, set the various conditions for the scenario, and play. Then one could stage historical battles, or use it as a tactical engine to resolve battles when they occur in operational-level naval wargames like mine (A Glorious Chance) or 1805 Sea of Glory, etc. They could easily have done that, but the online gaming world always seems to follow the money (no surprise there) and aim for the largest and most commercial audience.
    You are really describing a different game - this is an open sandbox MMO centered around 18th century naval ships and combat. They are developing an economic side of things as well. In that sense some people say it is very flexible because the players determine everything, economy, diplomacy, ship building, etc. So the historic strategic situation found in say "1805 Sea of Glory" is determined by the actions of player organized clans. I participated in a port battle last night to take a British port and stop their advance up the Yucatan towards Cuba and Fla. One of the largest KS ever funded was for an MMO - Star Citizen, so yeah big $$ in this style of game. The NA developers are a small group and their other title is similar to an old school game - Ultimate General -Gettysburg. Not sure you can mod it though. AFAIK one of the devs did a lot of mods for Total War Napoleon - which is similar to what you are describing.

In the past players have arraigned large "Trafalgar" style battles, but obviously one has to use the ships available in the game. (Available on You Tube) So you can get the feel of a large fleet battle or frigate action with some of the historic ships. Since I am also a wargamer first I do like your idea though - to be able to set up a specific battle would be great - like the old computer moderated rules Clear for Action - only with graphics! I wonder if you can do this with the Total War series?

BTW - I wouldn't describe it as "gamey" head to head kid stuff - this is not a FPS (First Person Shooter - ie Call of Duty) clicky game. There are a lot of people involved that have put in a lot of effort to get the ships and combat model as realistic as possible. In fact it is too slow for a lot of the "kids"!! In my group we have several retired military and others who have studied naval history much as we do here. Also as Jim noted there is a server which is essentially coop rather than fighting between the players.
    Last edited by DeRuyter; 02-18-2016 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I don't know for certain, but I suspect it had to do with promoting the game launch initially? If you're starting out with a new IP you want something big and flashy and you get that with first rates, not 3rd's?

Right now there are only two First Rates actually in game, HMS Victory and Santisima Trinidad. I doubt we'll see the Ocean class for up to a year? Only one fourth rate as well, USS Constitution.

They are clearly focusing on the other rates now and they're trying to balance the call for national recognition. The Dutch, Danes, Spanish and Swedes are especially vocal on the forums demanding "their" ships be represented in Naval Action. A new content patch expected in two weeks might bring 2-3 new ships; USS Niagara, Essex another they're not mentioning specifically?

It's all a waiting game, somewhat similar to Sails of Glory.
    Jim - AFAIK -We are going to see: USS Rattlesnake (in fact she is pictured on the devblog about crew management), USS Essex, Ingermanland (64 gun ship Russian I think) and 1-2 large traders (Indiamen) - Amsterdam and Gros Ventre. Oh and they are also working on Bucenture (sp).

They also just completed the player ship vote for 2016 - I forget the top ship - I think another Dutch ship. I think they said some new ships may come in the next few patches. They are working on shipyards and production buildings as well.

The big feature at least for the PvP server is the rework of port battles with the various forts and land in the battle instances, which is coming in the Spring.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Steve: Try to get a Privateer - basically a Lynx with 12 18 lb carronades. Fast upwind and will demolish AI at close range and with enough crew to board and take traders. The AI privateers are usually armed with 6 lb cannon and you can take them with a basic cutter. You can find them in missions. Take down the stern and grape the crew to cap it.
    Yes, I've been coming up against the regular Lynxes (only four guns a side IIRC) but only just last night got promoted to Jr. Lt. (USA), so probably was at too low a level to see a Privateer before. Hopefully now, that will change :)

I have become pretty proficient at the "ball the stern & rudder, chain the sails, grape the crew" thing for capturing. Before I switched to USA (last night) I had captured a few Trader Brigs, a Lynx and a Traders Lynx on my Spanish account. I like using the Yacht because it's a little more nimble than the Cutter, and I have 12lb carronnades and the "quick turn" rigging on it for the purpose. Having lots of fun!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

BTW - I wouldn't describe it as "gamey" head to head kid stuff - this is not a FPS (First Person Shooter - ie Call of Duty) clicky game. There are a lot of people involved that have put in a lot of effort to get the ships and combat model as realistic as possible. In fact it is too slow for a lot of the "kids"!! In my group we have several retired military and others who have studied naval history much as we do here. Also as Jim noted there is a server which is essentially coop rather than fighting between the players.
    You know, Steve, your excitement for this game comes through so sincerely that you've almost convinced me to give it a try!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

You know, Steve, your excitement for this game comes through so sincerely that you've almost convinced me to give it a try!
    I think that was actually Eric that you quoted, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about Naval Action, too. I've had it since late 2014 and have been enjoying it ever since. I generally prefer tabletop miniatures games to video games, as I like the tactile sense of being there with my opponent (and heck, playing with toys!) but there are certain video games I enjoy, too. They tend to be pretty specific and pretty simulation oriented. Rise of Flight is my favorite flight sim, and although I don't have much to compare it against, I am really enjoying Naval Action.

With that said, it's still in very early Early Access, meaning there is much that will be improved. The developers are actively enhancing it, but it's a bit rough right now. The expectation is that it will continue to get better - it's quite playable and stable now - with time and further improvement. The devs are also pretty good at listening to the community and taking their feedback onboard. I don't have much to compare it against but I'm suitably pleased so far. There's also no DLC model - you pay once and get everything. I like that quite a bit.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim - AFAIK -We are going to see: USS Rattlesnake (in fact she is pictured on the devblog about crew management), USS Essex, Ingermanland (64 gun ship Russian I think) and 1-2 large traders (Indiamen) - Amsterdam and Gros Ventre. Oh and they are also working on Bucenture (sp).

They also just completed the player ship vote for 2016 - I forget the top ship - I think another Dutch ship. I think they said some new ships may come in the next few patches. They are working on shipyards and production buildings as well.

The big feature at least for the PvP server is the rework of port battles with the various forts and land in the battle instances, which is coming in the Spring.
    I think that was actually Eric that you quoted, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about Naval Action, too. I've had it since late 2014 and have been enjoying it ever since. I generally prefer tabletop miniatures games to video games, as I like the tactile sense of being there with my opponent (and heck, playing with toys!) but there are certain video games I enjoy, too. They tend to be pretty specific and pretty simulation oriented. Rise of Flight is my favorite flight sim, and although I don't have much to compare it against, I am really enjoying Naval Action.

With that said, it's still in very early Early Access, meaning there is much that will be improved. The developers are actively enhancing it, but it's a bit rough right now. The expectation is that it will continue to get better - it's quite playable and stable now - with time and further improvement. The devs are also pretty good at listening to the community and taking their feedback onboard. I don't have much to compare it against but I'm suitably pleased so far. There's also no DLC model - you pay once and get everything. I like that quite a bit.
    Eric, thanks for the information and update on the pvp side. Our "Fleet" (I don't like the term clan) is now over 45 members I believe now that Steve joined up last night. We have some folks who are now moving over to a pvp server and I wish them well, but I'm very content on staying on pve so I can enjoy the entire map without hindrance. Ironically I was attacked by a NPC privateer yesterday, but easily escaped in my cutter.

Gina, all I can tell you is that sailing a simulation like this is very enjoyable, relaxing and fulfilling even as a casual pve player. The sandbox navigation is a challenge and I love it. I spent several real time hours yesterday sailing from Bugle Cay all the way to Camp du Roy. Sunny weather, rain storms, thunder, etc.

Steve, as I said in the pm, don't hesitate to ask members of ACN to group up. Some of them are regularly taking down 3rd rates in large fleet operations. Every one is different and how you sail in battle and react to the AI is a unique experience. I got in on several missions last night and my last one against a single Bellona 74 netted me over 500 xp. What everyone in our group is looking for now is either the Tricomalee ship or its blueprint. Our shipwright is up to making Frigates. See you in game. Oh a final note that we finally got a female player joining ACN. I do wish we had more women in game, but it's just not happening.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it is certainly intriguing me and I have not played anything since "Napoleon Total War".
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well it is certainly intriguing me and I have not played anything since "Napoleon Total War".
    Rob it's quite fun, and while the learning curve is a bit steep, it is entirely surmountable with a bit of effort. And the community has done an excellent job of creating how-to guides, videos, and pretty much everything else you might need to get up to speed. You can certainly have fun right off the bat versus the AI, I am certainly still finding it a challenge, though I've only got just under 70hrs in the game so far (since Dec. 2014 - I'm a "filthy casual" lol).

The UI (user interface) in the port screen is a temporary placeholder and IMHO the roughest part of the whole thing right now. While not particularly intuitive at first blush, it is quite functional.

Overall the game is exceptionally stable for an Early Access / alpha-level production - I've never had a single crash, nor other annoyance.. "it just works", which is great. And performance, even in the open world (which loads seamlessly and fluidly) has been good on "Medium" settings for my nearly 6 year old computer. Granted, I built my machine for flight simulation, so it was once reasonably powerful, but it's quite aged at this point. Despite that, for me, Naval Action still performs quite well and looks good. With a more powerful machine, it can look absolutely beautiful.

The bottom line is that for the cost of a few SoG ships, you can have quite a lot of virtual fun. And meet and play with cool people like Nightmoss. I've been well pleased with the purchase.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for the critique of the game Steve.
    If I can find the time to fit it in I will give it a lookover probably with my son who takes part in a lot of these interactive community games.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Wow so I've joined Nightmoss' clan (such an unfortunate word but standard in MMOs), the American Continental Navy, and it's so much fun! I'm only sailing a lowly 7th rate Privateer (a topsail schooner with 12 guns) and last night we grouped up to take on some 3rd rates and and small fleets. I didn't get sunk! And I leveled up to 2nd Lieutenant. And then one of the other group members crafted me a brig (so I could be slightly less useless versus the SOLs hahah)

Woohooo!

I'd say Naval Action is quite fun played solo, but playing with a group of teammates is even better. Thanks again Nightmoss!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wow so I've joined Nightmoss' clan (such an unfortunate word but standard in MMOs), the American Continental Navy, and it's so much fun! I'm only sailing a lowly 7th rate Privateer (a topsail schooner with 12 guns) and last night we grouped up to take on some 3rd rates and and small fleets. I didn't get sunk! And I leveled up to 2nd Lieutenant. And then one of the other group members crafted me a brig (so I could be slightly less useless versus the SOLs hahah)

Woohooo!

I'd say Naval Action is quite fun played solo, but playing with a group of teammates is even better. Thanks again Nightmoss!
    We're very happy to have you on board Steve. It was great fun and you did an impressive job of sailing around the big hitters!! Grats on the next level too, also.

By the way, the Naval Action forums have a poll up that's asking players to choose a term that they would prefer using instead of 'clan'. I know Fleet and Squadron are listed (I voted for Fleets), but I don't know if/when they may push for that updated distinction?

See you online.

Jim
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

By the way, the Naval Action forums have a poll up that's asking players to choose a term that they would prefer using instead of 'clan'. I know Fleet and Squadron are listed (I voted for Fleets), but I don't know if/when they may push for that updated distinction?
    Found the thread and voted, as well as made a comment for why I feel strongly about the word 'clan'. I feel so strongly about it, it's been a deterrent to getting involved in MMOs as I'm loathe to associate myself with the term in any way, shape or form.

I'm pleased to see the developers are taking on board feedback from the community and are willing to change. I voted for Fleet, too.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Found the thread and voted, as well as made a comment for why I feel strongly about the word 'clan'. I feel so strongly about it, it's been a deterrent to getting involved in MMOs as I'm loathe to associate myself with the term in any way, shape or form.

I'm pleased to see the developers are taking on board feedback from the community and are willing to change. I voted for Fleet, too.
    Clan does have several word associations, but it's primary definition is linked to ancestral descent, and being part Scottish I choose to think it refers to the Highland Clans of Scotland? Clan is not Klan if that's why you have a strong aversion to the word? I sure hope you don't dislike the Scottish Clans?

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...ighland-Clans/
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Clan does have several word associations, but it's primary definition is linked to ancestral descent, and being part Scottish I choose to think it refers to the Highland Clans of Scotland? Clan is not Klan if that's why you have a strong aversion to the word? I sure hope you don't dislike the Scottish Clans?

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...ighland-Clans/
    Oh sure, the usage of the word "clan" predates by hundreds if not thousands of years the unfortunate period of mid-19th century US history I'm referring to (yes, the KKK), but the same can be said for the swastika's worldwide usage prior to its appropriation by the Nazi party in the mid-20th century. It just gives me the heebie jeebies - a visceral reaction, i.e. personal problem on my part. Can't help it!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Steve,
    It is sad that a word which on the whole has a good and together meaning has been highjacked by a small group of small minded people. I as an Englishman with Scots blood (my Farther) take prided that I can be a member of a Scottish Clan.
    That said, in the 70's and 80's the English flag of "St George" Red Cross on a White background was highjacked by our right-wing skinheads who hated all non-English and non-white folks. I like many in the U.K. could not use our flag. Very sad that a small group stopped a Nation using it's flag. So we use the Union Flag (Union Jack). It was at the Rugby World Cup some years ago that we as a Nation started using our English flag again. I can now hold my head and flag up high. To think it took so long for us to get our own flag back is a very sad thing. But we did!
    Be safe
    Rory

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Good points Rory!

On a lighter note, sailing with the Fleet / Guild / etc., the American Continental Navy, has been amazing for my progression through the lower ranks. This time last week, I was still a lowly Midshipman. Tonight, I helped my teammates sink two Spanish 3rd rates using my Mercury brig armed with 24lb carronades, focusing on exploiting my ship's greater maneuverability to get in close for some stern raking action.

The results were good!! And I'm more than halfway towards 1st Lieutenant as consequence. :)

For comparison, a typical Admiralty mission will net you only 50XP, and it's 1000+ XP per rank, and higher ranks are how you get the crew needed to sail the larger ships. So one can easily understand why getting ~400XP per mission when sailing with a Fleet - which allows you to take on bigger and badder opponents through teamwork - is a big advantage!!

Thanks Nightmoss for the invite, I'm having a blast!

Screenshot from one of tonight's missions. My ship is in the foreground, and Nightmoss and another teammate are delivering broadsides to a poor Spanish 3rd rate caught in the pickle between them.

Last edited by surfimp; 02-24-2016 at 02:02.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks great to me Steve.
    Just like a period painting.
    You could hang that on your wall.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for that image, Steve. It looks great and as Rob said almost picture hanging worthy. I'm very happy you joined up with the ACN. I'm also enjoying sailing the Trincomalee, which up until today was probably the only Trincomalee in the USA? What a marvelous ship.
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Sailing to Cuba, passing Mimbres at sunset in my Privateer:

This is a great game :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That certainly is another fine picture Steve.
    I must resist the temptation, or I'd never get all my work done both here and on the Drome.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That certainly is another fine picture Steve.
    I must resist the temptation, or I'd never get all my work done both here and on the Drome.
    Rob.
    Rob, the game really is a time sink although a pleasant one for sure. I wont tell you how many hours I've 'sunk' into the simulation so far and they still say it's an alpha realease!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rob, the game really is a time sink although a pleasant one for sure. I wont tell you how many hours I've 'sunk' into the simulation so far and they still say it's an alpha realease!
    I can imagine Jim.
    I spent all my spare time on Rome Total War for months, and then moved on to the rest of the series as they came out with all the extensions etc.
    If Wings had not drawn me in I may well have still playing.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I can imagine Jim.
    I spent all my spare time on Rome Total War for months, and then moved on to the rest of the series as they came out with all the extensions etc.
    If Wings had not drawn me in I may well have still playing.
    Rob.
    It may have been mentioned by someone already, but one of the developers on Naval Action was a major moder for the game Total War: Napoleon. He got hooked by the naval aspects of the game and we're reaping the benefits from his interest.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

We've been talking about ship fires and explosions in game recently and unfortunately one of our fleet members experience it first hand on his 3rd Rate last night. We'd entered a battle against a large Spanish fleet and within minutes of the opening it sounds like his computer disconnected because of a Windows 10 update. By the time he got back on his ship had caught fire and its crew had gone into fire shock. There wasn't much he could do to manage the ship at that point and it eventually blew up.

I only got one screenshot as you don't want to hang around any ship that's about to explode. He lost the ship of course but also lost a number of ship upgrades that were on it. You don't need pvp for excitement that's for sure.

Name:  3rdRateFire.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  142.8 KB
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another good reason for not having Windows 10. I don't want anyone taking over my Computer and shutting programmes down when I'm in the middle of something.
    I bet he is still steaming today.
    Nice shot though.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

There were a ton of people sailing with the American Continental Navy on the PVE server last night!

Good times :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Probably only the second attempt at doing a line battle against a fleet of enemy AI. Fortunately, I was not on the mic that night so you don't hear my voice.

Morrius17 did the video which you may enjoy. I don't expect you'll want to view the entire thing, but it was fun and netted everyone a good amount of gold and experience.

–English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I did watch the lot and enjoyed every minute of it too Jim.
    Your captains should be proud of the way they held the line of battle and clinically obliterated the Spanish Fleet.
    Please pass on my thanks to your co Captains next time you are on line. I only wish I could give them all Rep in person, but I guess I will have to forgo that pleasure.
    Thanks again gentlemen.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well I did watch the lot and enjoyed every minute of it too Jim.
    Your captains should be proud of the way they held the line of battle and clinically obliterated the Spanish Fleet.
    Please pass on my thanks to your co Captains next time you are on line. I only wish I could give them all Rep in person, but I guess I will have to forgo that pleasure.
    Thanks again gentlemen.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob for the nice comments and rep. I'll be sure to pass along your thanks to the various captains of ACN.

We're currently waiting on a new content patch, which brings in some significant changes I've mentioned above. Hopefully it will also bring in the USS Niagara, HMS Essex and one other ship still not known by the players some days after the patch. Everything is on hold as we have heard a number of the development team (only 7 persons) are down with the flu.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a mixture of good and bad news.
    Please keep me posted and I hope you will be showing us more of these battles in the future,
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's much more fun to watch a battle where you actually hold the line rather than those everyone everywhere shooting at random that I find much more of on youtube.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It's much more fun to watch a battle where you actually hold the line rather than those everyone everywhere shooting at random that I find much more of on youtube.
    We will be trying more of these in the near future. If Morrius puts them up on YouTube I'll let you know. Cheers!
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice! Thank you.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Those are impressive images. Please remind me in case I forgot, but does this game run on Macs?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sorry, Eric, there are no plans to port this to Macs. Some folks have tried Bootcamp, but I've not heard of the results or stability. I did read recently that the devs would eventually like to bring this out as a stand alone game, but that wont occur until after the game is at full release. Full release is projected by some to be at least one to two years out.
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It's probably safer for me this way, Jim.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Our latest line battle video on YouTube. I've not actually watched it myself, but I understand it's quite good. I believe we had more ships in this battle than previously. Enjoy!

–English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was another mighty action Jim.
    Well worth half an hour of my time.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Those are stll great videos to watch. The game have much improved the look of the smoke. I think it does wonders for the feel of the battle.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree. I really can't wait for the next one.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Hunting wabbits near Cuba.

This is the first decent ship I've crafted myself, a pretty tricked out Lynx schooner. It's only got 4 guns per side, so rather weak, but it's quite fast and good at chasing down trade ships. And even better at running away from things that are bigger and badder than it is. I do a lot of each :)

Next I'll build a "Privateer"... basically the same ship, but with 6 guns per side and just a touch faster upwind.

I am all about the thrill of the hunt in this game. I sail solo, deep in enemy territory, and try to make prizes of enemy players' trade ships... without getting caught by their interceptors. It can be quite lucrative if they've got a full load of cargo aboard!

Last edited by surfimp; 03-12-2016 at 00:57.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This also sounds exciting Steve.
    Are we likely to get any footage of you in action, or even a few more stills?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

We've been working on demasting ships. Some folks use the mass broadside method while others are trying to sniper shot the masts off. In game it's not easy unless you and the target are somewhat stationary. Results pictured below:

Name:  DemastingExercise1.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  108.9 KB
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Which method works the best Jim?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Which method works the best Jim?
    Rob.
    I think the term "spray and pray" about sums it up?
    –English Proverb