Thread: Naval Action-PC Game in the Works

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Naval Action-PC Game in the Works

Just saw this mentioned on one of the PC gaming sites I like to check out regularly. Whether the game comes to fruition or not certainly remains to be seen, but some of the illustrations and information are worth taking a peek at. Enjoy!

http://www.navalaction.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It will be interesting to see how this game develops.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this game develops.
    I think so too. How could you not want to play a game, even a pc game, with ships like this!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I'm fairly confident my PC won't run it even if it makes it to release. It's a dinosaur running Windows XP.

The ship models DO look gorgeous. Followed the Facebook page to see what comes of it. Thanks for the link!

Interesting that the other language option is Russian. Leads me to believe the home site is in Russia or Ukraine (They make mention of Ukrainian ship builders.) I'm always a bit hesitant linking to sites over there.

Reminds me of some of the Total War series games that had naval combat (Empire TW, Napoleon TW). Although there was a stand alone game put out by Talonsoft in 2000 called Age of Sail that had potential but was buggy beyond belief!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It might be related to the old Age of Sail / Provateers Bounty game and development team. IIRC the later version at least came from the Ukraine or somewhere in the FSU

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well, personally, one reason I can think of to not play such a game is: Close encounters with Large, Ill-Tempered Fish.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Thanks for sharing, I will keep an eye on this as well. I'm curious to see what they can make of it.

In the meantime, I found Pirates of the Burning Sea, an online naval game centered in the Caribbean in 1720. I've loved it, just wish I had found it years ago.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot@Me View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I will keep an eye on this as well. I'm curious to see what they can make of it.

In the meantime, I found Pirates of the Burning Sea, an online naval game centered in the Caribbean in 1720. I've loved it, just wish I had found it years ago.
    I used to play PotBS and then I got side tracked into something else. Later, I heard it was let go from the original backer/publisher? So, is it really still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Uthoroc View Post
    Yes, they are based in Kiev, Ukraine.
    They may give us a definitive answer on the great "Russian ship colour" debate

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Can anyone recommend an AoS game for Macs?

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Yes, Pirates, from Sid Meyer (or Meier?). It is a fantastic game. But you have to train your dancing.....realy! I play it since years..super

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I used to play PotBS and then I got side tracked into something else. Later, I heard it was let go from the original backer/publisher? So, is it really still around?
    Yes, Sony Online Entertainment let it go. It is now down to only one US and one EU server (and a testing server), but it is still going.

The website is currently being rebuilt, but the game can be downloaded from the new developers at http://portalusgames.com.
    Last edited by Shoot@Me; 02-03-2014 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot@Me View Post

I used to play an online Napoleonic Naval game called Velmad run out of Spain. It is a large community and I fought ships in several large fleet actions such as The Glorious 1st of June. There is a signal flag system for communication as well. The downside for English speakers is that while there is an English language forum, in big battles you are playing with a Spanish speaking team (I used Google translate). I found the game very realistic but the larger fleet actions took awhile, basically one turn per day. There is a system for one v one challenges as well.

Here is a link: www.velmad.com

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks, Steven and Eric for the links. I'll have to check them both out.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Debate? Debate? Dark green is dark green

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey View Post
    Yes, Pirates, from Sid Meyer (or Meier?). It is a fantastic game. But you have to train your dancing.....realy! I play it since years..super
    Thank you, Uli. I will look for it.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I used to play an online Napoleonic Naval game called Velmad run out of Spain. It is a large community and I fought ships in several large fleet actions such as The Glorious 1st of June. There is a signal flag system for communication as well. The downside for English speakers is that while there is an English language forum, in big battles you are playing with a Spanish speaking team (I used Google translate).
    You reminded me of the last time I attended GenCon -- I played in a Napoleonic age-of-sail scenario (hypothetical: Hyde Parker attacked from the other end of Copenhagen's harbor; the British force was supposed to take out the forts without being taken out by the Danish mobile defenders). Playing the British, I took command; the referee wasn't allowing communication between players, so I worked out a completely non-verbal signaling system -- point at someone, index finger for bigger ship, thumb for smaller ship (each player had two ships; I had them organized as "leaders" and "wingmen"), point at target to be engaged or hexes to be occupied. We won -- the main forts were demolished, and the enemy never got close enough to interfere. The ref was amazed at how well the British attack went off; he was sure not allowing table-talk would result in a grand melee.... >:)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

A computer gaming site I frequent has an update on the naval simulation coming from these folks. It even includes some test videos that are up on YouTube. I wasn't able to get them to load before but now they're working?

If they fail to work you might be able to view them on the computer gaming site: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...over-the-ants/

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Only one video allowed per post, so I'll post the really long one that shows actual test play footage.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

Actually, this looks a lot like "World of Tanks" (which is programmed in Russia) - maybe the same 'comrades'.
    Could be... "World of Ships"?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Debate? Debate? Dark green is dark green
    Oh! boys buy some glasses its black and white. green is just so old hat. Or is it old paint.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kippryon View Post
    Actually, this looks a lot like "World of Tanks" (which is programmed in Russia) - maybe the same 'comrades'.
    Could be... "World of Ships"?
    They have worked on World of Tanks but they are their own developer. Also working on an American Civil War land battle game too I believe. And yes, they are a Russian publisher called Game Labs.

http://www.game-labs.net/

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It seems to be coming along well. I do not know how realistic looking they intend it to be. They acknowledge the need to show more crew. They haven't got the ships 'rolling' in motion yet. One thing the battle video made me appreciate was how scary it must have been seeing all those cannon balls coming at you.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It seems to be coming along well. I do not know how realistic looking they intend it to be. They acknowledge the need to show more crew. They haven't got the ships 'rolling' in motion yet. One thing the battle video made me appreciate was how scary it must have been seeing all those cannon balls coming at you.
    Agreed. And then the splintering wood!

A computer gaming site I frequent has an update on the naval simulation coming from these folks. It even includes some test videos that are up on YouTube. I wasn't able to get them to load before but now they're working?

Impressive video.

Made me a goose skin...

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Looks interesting! Waiting to see some action

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keegan

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Can anyone recommend an AoS game for Macs?
    I'm also looking for good AoS games for Mac — however I see now that Napoleon Total War is available for the Mac OS, so there's that at least. Anyone play this game? The video below looks kind of cool:

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's interesting, Keegan. I fear, though, I would lose what is happening by trying to manage so many ships that way.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

That's interesting, Keegan. I fear, though, I would lose what is happening by trying to manage so many ships that way.
    Funny you should say that Eric, I got a headache just trying to keep up with the battle. Maybe it was eyestrain

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Funny you should say that Eric, I got a headache just trying to keep up with the battle. Maybe it was eyestrain
    Maybe it's our age, my Friend.

I would like to think we lost in physical prowess we made up in wisdom. I would like to think that.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I have Napoleon Total War, but never got into the naval action. Looks pretty cool, but as has been suggested, I'd probably need to be much younger or have Borg implants to handle all the ships simultaneously?!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keegan

FYI: I just learned that ALL of the Total War games are on sale (and even free to play!) on Steam through June 28th-29th. I just scored the complete Napoleon TW game for about $7 and change. Can't wait to sink some French vessels!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    FYI: I just learned that ALL of the Total War games are on sale (and even free to play!) on Steam through June 28th-29th. I just scored the complete Napoleon TW game for about $7 and change. Can't wait to sink some French vessels!
    Congrats! The Total War games have often been very good, especially after some bug and tweaking patches. Enjoy the sailing!
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I've played though all Total Wars games except Rome: Total Wars, most campaigns with several nations.

It's fun and the newer ones are beautiful. In most battles I start out on slow to give all orders and then "fast forward" until contact and then slow down to slow motion again.

In Napoleon naval battles I usually just make sure I have a superior force and then I capture the enemy ships and keep my superiority.

In Empires naval battles I try to make third rates as quickly as possible. Then I don't have to have very many ships to defeat the opponents.
    Last edited by TexaS; 06-26-2015 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    I would recommend going to the Total War Mod site and looking at the various mods as the vanilla naval battles leave mush to be desired. Empire TW also had good navel battles. In fact one of the main mod developers - Darthmod - is now developing Naval Action.

http://www.twcenter.net/

Here is the site of one of the better mods for NTW and ETW:

http://www.thelordz.org/

Also as to Naval Action - Open world beta testing has begun. Area of operations is the Caribbean and US coast as fare as South Carolina. They just opened the world up to all alpha testers, although they have not yet restarted sales of game keys. Several good YT videos on the recent development have been posted as well.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I would recommend going to the Total War Mod site and looking at the various mods as the vanilla naval battles leave mush to be desired. Empire TW also had good navel battles. In fact one of the main mod developers - Darthmod - is now developing Naval Action.

http://www.twcenter.net/

Here is the site of one of the better mods for NTW and ETW:

http://www.thelordz.org/
    Also as to Naval Action - Open world beta testing has begun. Area of operations is the Caribbean and US coast as fare as South Carolina. They just opened the world up to all alpha testers, although they have not yet restarted sales of game keys. Several good YT videos on the recent development have been posted as well.
    Thanks Eric for the update and links. Have you been in Naval Action much? I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think I should avoid all PC-based gaming. I can see an inverse relationship between such avenues of play and productivity in my life. I think I would get sucked in.

I know I asked for games for Macs, but I need to run the other way.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.
    Is it not possible to play human vs. computer?

Interesting comments, Jim.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think I should avoid all PC-based gaming. I can see an inverse relationship between such avenues of play and productivity in my life. I think I would get sucked in.

I know I asked for games for Macs, but I need to run the other way.
    Eric, it's very true that video games can take up a huge chunk of time, but it's like most 'hobbies'. You learn to portion out time and stick to a schedule so it doesn't impact work, family or other hobbies. Right now I've gotten completely sucked into the video game, Witcher 3. It's an amazing story, with incredible graphics and sense of an open world that doesn't want to let you go.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Is it not possible to play human vs. computer?

Interesting comments, Jim.
    I'm not sure if you can play against the AI on your own or not? As I said I've not been back in awhile. Many games do allow you free roaming, but I'm not sure Naval Action will be one of them. I could enjoy just sailing and seeing the scenery in this game very easily. It's quite beautiful.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It's a shame when people behave like fools on gaming sites. I have seen far too many posts on BGG that make me scratch my head as to why people made them.

I think one of the problems with computer games is the ability to create an immersive experience. Like RPGs, the more immersion, the more time consuming the game becomes. As much as I enjoyed Third Reich, I was never sucked into it. In fact, boardgames are such that I can play for an hour and walk away, resuming the game as time permits.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It's a shame when people behave like fools on gaming sites. I have seen far too many posts on BGG that make me scratch my head as to why people made them.

I think one of the problems with computer games is the ability to create an immersive experience. Like RPGs, the more immersion, the more time consuming the game becomes. As much as I enjoyed Third Reich, I was never sucked into it. In fact, boardgames are such that I can play for an hour and walk away, resuming the game as time permits.
    This could be why single player video games like Witcher 3 are so popular? They allow you to adventure at your own pace and in a world that only has NPC's controlled by the AI.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think I would enjoy such a game. I have been looking for a decent solo mechanism for Pathfinder in part to play, in part to learn, in part to develop scenarios.

I just received the Wrath of the Righteous adventure card game and all the class decks this morning - part of the proceeds from the ship/plane sale. We have played the Rise of the Runelords with George (CelticCat). As he has that and Skull and Shackles, I thought I would pick this up. I am impressed with many of the solo and coop games on the market.

Speaking of George, we're off to feed his cat.

May you have a pleasant day in this most gorgeous weather.

Thanks Eric for the update and links. Have you been in Naval Action much? I was pretty interested in the game until reading the forums and seeing some local characters who clearly are approaching this sim as a "World of Tanks" in the Age of Sails. I'm not going to waste my time playing a sim that's full of e-peen wannabees.
    I recently got back into it after they invited all testers to the Open World. Initially the testing was in a closed area like WOT, but now that has been replaced with the Open World. While there are a few WOT closed area type players, the majority of players want more than that. They are going to have an area mode in the final product though. There are a good percentage of players interested in hard core age of sail with realistic sailing and gunnery as opposed to arcade style like WOT. The intent is to create a game world with nations, economies, crafting, etc. Having said that the main attraction is age of sail naval combat. It is like playing SoG scenarios with a complete campaign set up behind them as a narrative. So it is an MMO with an open architecture.

I'm not sure if you can play against the AI on your own or not? As I said I've not been back in awhile. Many games do allow you free roaming, but I'm not sure Naval Action will be one of them. I could enjoy just sailing and seeing the scenery in this game very easily. It's quite beautiful.
    Yes you can play against the AI and certainly NA is all about free roaming. The current map is based on the Caribbean and you can sail up the US coast as far as Georgia. In fact much of your early progress is fighting against bots (PVE) as opposed to PVP, but judging from the forums the majority of the players are in it for PVP. Your progression rewards are much greater in PVP play as well. There are also fleet battles with both players and AI fighting each other (on both sides).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I recently got back into it after they invited all testers to the Open World. Initially the testing was in a closed area like WOT, but now that has been replaced with the Open World. While there are a few WOT closed area type players, the majority of players want more than that. They are going to have an area mode in the final product though. There are a good percentage of players interested in hard core age of sail with realistic sailing and gunnery as opposed to arcade style like WOT. The intent is to create a game world with nations, economies, crafting, etc. Having said that the main attraction is age of sail naval combat. It is like playing SoG scenarios with a complete campaign set up behind them as a narrative. So it is an MMO with an open architecture.

Yes you can play against the AI and certainly NA is all about free roaming. The current map is based on the Caribbean and you can sail up the US coast as far as Georgia. In fact much of your early progress is fighting against bots (PVE) as opposed to PVP, but judging from the forums the majority of the players are in it for PVP. Your progression rewards are much greater in PVP play as well. There are also fleet battles with both players and AI fighting each other (on both sides).
    Thanks for the updates, Eric. I should try to check back and see how things are going.

I would love to see an MMO developed that put a higher value (and resultant rewards) on capturing ships rather then blowing them out of the water. Seems unlikely they'd go that route though. Folks are not going to want to wait around weeks for their ships to be repaired or rebuilt. I understand they'll have to consider play balance and continued support of the community vs. realism.
    –English Proverb