Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The optional rule "Continuous Fire:" Why would you NOT use that (if being used)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The Spanish ships have very high fire power ratings without any real explanation. I wouldn't use a battle against them as a measure.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Maybe we should see enlightenment from Andrea upon this subject Jonas!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The Spanish ships have very high fire power ratings without any real explanation. I wouldn't use a battle against them as a measure.
    Thankfully I didn't have the Spaniards using carronades, only the English.
    I was still stunned by the firepower of an initial broadside from a 1st rate though. It's the first time I've had one on the table and they're devastating (as they should be).

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Maybe we should see enlightenment from Andrea upon this subject Jonas!
    Rob.
    I was always under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that Spanish ships were better in gunnery, or simply had a higher weight of metal than their French or English counterparts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG73 View Post
    Thankfully I didn't have the Spaniards using carronades, only the English.
    I was still stunned by the firepower of an initial broadside from a 1st rate though. It's the first time I've had one on the table and they're devastating (as they should be).
    Only the British had true Carronades Andrew. The Obusier I believe that was what the French called it was admitted to be a poor replica even by them and did not figure largely in French or Spanish ships.
    Name:  Obusier_de_vaisseau-IMG_8611-white.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  61.4 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I agree Rob. I was just making sure that Jonas understood that I didn't have both English and Spanish using carronades seeing as he mentioned it being not necessarily an appropriate comparison.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Andy.
    With the Spanish overgunned. I think it very good employment to play your Carronades upon them.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The Spanish first rates stats are over gunned compared to British and French first rates regardless if you compare broadside weight or number of guns, even if compensating for most effective caliber. When talking of effective gunnery the British almost always came out on top, both in precision and reloading speed. There's simply no explanation I know of.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Undersized ships with big ideas then Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The Spanish first rates stats are over gunned compared to British and French first rates regardless if you compare broadside weight or number of guns, even if compensating for most effective caliber. When talking of effective gunnery the British almost always came out on top, both in precision and reloading speed. There's simply no explanation I know of.
    Gunnery skill shouldn't work into the ship's stats. That's what the poor gunnery adjustments is for in the rules.

I just noticed last evening that the Spanish 1st rates have THE worst sailing angles out of all of the 1st rates. The French are comparable to the British and French 74's, and the British 1sts are in-between.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thats right, there was a definite drive during playtesting to base ship stats on the ship itself and to not factor crew quality in at all. And i agree, some of the later statting does seem a bit "random"

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Maybe for the Spanish ships a mandatory Gunners Lacking training so they take two turns to load, or a house rule that they take two turns to load a full broadside but standard one turn to load a front or rear battery, this will cut down the effectiveness and add a little authenticity?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think that the gunners lacking training is a good idea Chris. Keeps things within the realms of the rules.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes it would help, but that first devastating broadside still will make any Nelson heroics with 74s near impossible.

I only mentioned gunner skill as it had been mentioned and it wouldn't work as an explanation either.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The only other thing is to doctor the ship mats then.
    I am getting better at this with a bit of cut and paste.

Name:  GALVARINO Ship mat._edited-1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  109.0 KB

Reinforced Brig Sloop to take 16 32 lbr Carronades.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes it would help, but that first devastating broadside still will make any Nelson heroics with 74s near impossible.

I only mentioned gunner skill as it had been mentioned and it wouldn't work as an explanation either.
    So we dont give them the first fire bonus and no double shot until first broadside fired , or Spanish and possibly French ships must fire first broadside at rigging, as they did historically I believe.
    But these will be house rules

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All sounds good to me Chris. Whatever floats/ sinks your boat.
    Rob.