Thread: There Be Pirates Here-Black Pearl-Just for Fun Repaint

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Andy,

The ship card and log look great!! Thanks very much for doing this. I'm going to be busy with a model railroad show so I probably wont get any printing and photos done until early next week. Thanks again!!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Argg, the repaint look awesome. Andy the cards and logs are great. And I approve of a pirate section

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great work on the card, Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm going to be busy with a model railroad show so I probably wont get any printing and photos done until early next week.
    The used bookstore by my house is clearing out quite a few books. I stopped by there today, and I saw a decent sized collection of model and real locomotive/railroad type books. If you're looking for anything, let me know. I will stop by there again next week and can take a look for you.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It's finally warmed up enough so I can go back to the basement work area and start working again on SoG repaints, etc. Here are two photos of the Black Pearl and Royal Fortune and the other two repaints I've managed to date. Custom card work by Andy. I've not cut out the ship log that Andy did or a new label for the Royal Fortune's other base, but that will come soon, if it stays warm enough. Cheers!

Name:  SoGPirates1.JPG
Views: 1418
Size:  129.5 KBName:  SoGRepaints1.JPG
Views: 1514
Size:  122.9 KB
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 03-07-2014 at 15:05.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Awesome work Jim!

Ordinary Seaman
    Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    robert fitch

these are so awesome!!!! wish I was talented enough to do this!!!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Nice. Are there duplicate cards already?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRoyal20 View Post
    Nice. Are there duplicate cards already?
    These are custom crafted cards by Andy (nothing officially sanctioned by Ares, or anyone else). I believe he's posted the files on our site for download?

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Really great looking fleet! Awesome!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well, another ship has joined the Pirate Fleet. However, this ship, captain and crew answer to no ones navy; pirate or otherwise. I give you the Flying Dutchman (text below is from Wikipedia). Cheers!

The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. The myth is likely to have originated from 17th-century nautical folklore. The oldest extant version dates to the late 18th century. Sightings in the 19th and 20th centuries reported the ship to be glowing with ghostly light. If hailed by another ship, the crew of the Flying Dutchman will try to send messages to land, or to people long dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is a portent of doom.
    Name:  FlyingDutchman1.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  144.8 KBName:  FlyingDutchman2.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  138.3 KBName:  FlyingDutchman3.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  144.9 KBName:  FlyingDutchman4.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  135.4 KBName:  FlyingDutchman5.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  127.7 KBName:  FlyingDutchman6.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  139.6 KBName:  FlyingDutchman7.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  159.2 KB

P.S. Sure hope those custom Anchorage ratlines would hurry up and get here?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

That is an amazing paint job. Really nice looking sails, I can see my sailors shiver upon site of them.
    Last edited by Hobbes; 03-24-2014 at 11:15.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

One last ship for my pirate fleet, which now includes all the ships from the SoG starter set. I really liked how Jaime's (RickyBobbyFan) Queen Anne's Revenge turned out so I decided to use the British ship HMS Defense as the base model and painted it as close to what I think he had as a final version? It's now ready for rigging.

If Wikipedia can be trusted in this the Queen Anne's Revenge was originally a British frigate (Concord) built in 1710 and later captured by the French one year later. She was renamed La Concorde de Nantes and converted into a slave ship.

Sailing as a slave ship, she was captured by the pirate Captain Benjamin Hornigold on November 28, 1717, near the island of Martinique. Hornigold turned her over to one of his men —Edward Teach, later known as Blackbeard—and made him her captain. Teach's first mate, Christopher Blackwood (known as Blackbeard's Claw), was feared as a ferocious fighter and led many of Blackbeard's boarding parties.
    You can find the rest of the story here with additional information on a wreck found off North Carolina in 1996 that may well be the real Queen Anne's Revenge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne's_Revenge

Name:  QAR4.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  111.0 KBName:  QAR3.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  116.0 KBName:  QAR2.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  119.7 KBName:  QAR1.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  120.2 KB

I absolutely love how the sails on the Flying Dutchman look. That green is perfectly ghostly spooky. You need to do something with the hull to go along with it. I'm thinking maybe you should try a light wash of that same green and do a practice run on something to see if you can get the suggestion of green glow from the hull, but still keep the basics of how it looks.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I absolutely love how the sails on the Flying Dutchman look. That green is perfectly ghostly spooky. You need to do something with the hull to go along with it. I'm thinking maybe you should try a light wash of that same green and do a practice run on something to see if you can get the suggestion of green glow from the hull, but still keep the basics of how it looks.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I'd thought about doing the hull in the same green, but was concerned that it might be overkill. I went ahead and tried it this morning with a light black wash over the green to tone it down a bit. I think it turned out OK? Here are a couple of shots to see what you think?

Name:  FlyingD1.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  145.3 KBName:  FlyingD2.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  134.3 KB

Now that is a nice touch to the Flying Dutchman, Jim. I also like your use of the brown.
    No kings ship would dare go near it.

I think that might be a good starting point. I was thinking in terms of a faint green "glow" from the hull in general. I think the stronger green sides works out well to set the tone, but you wouldn't want that all over. The brown accents do look good as well. What might top it all off is a light green wash only on the deck sections. It's kind of a risky move, so I would suggest a practice run on some other surface or mini. Some green settled down into the surface and still having the other projections (boats, cannons, etc) brown will probably give it just enough ghostly hint.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I finished up the Queen Anne's Revenge today. Some photos for the record. These ships improve so dramatically with a minimal amount of effort. I can't wait to see how the brass ratlines coming from the Anchorage Store will enhance them even more. Cheers!

Name:  QueenAnneR1.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  137.6 KBName:  QueenAnneR2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  133.3 KBName:  QueenAnneR3.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  129.7 KBName:  QueenAnneR4.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  134.6 KBName:  QueenAnneR6.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  141.2 KBName:  QueenAnneR7.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  156.1 KBName:  QueenAnneR9.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  137.7 KBName:  QueenAnneR10.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  153.0 KB

What you have been doing is not minimal effort! You've been putting lots of quality work into these and it shows.
    I've just been painting the masts, cross beams and putting a wash on the sails. That's minimal effort. But...your statement is quite accurate. This minimal level of effort has a huge positive impact on how the mini looks.
    When I get my wave 2 ships in, I fully plan on doing one of the heavy frigates up Hollywood pirate style and you have been the inspiration. I've never rigged a ship before and I just might go for it. I'm thinking on going for the Royal Fortune look you did as I really like that. It's going to have the ratlines and just maybe the rigging. When I do my demos, I want to have three levels of detail so prospective players can see the flexibility of options
    1) Factory stock
    2) Minimal level = masts, sails washed and maybe ratlines. I might do minimal level with and without ratlines.
    3) All out = hull detail, masts, sails washed, ratlines, and rigging.

To me rigging is a maximum effort/level. Ratlines with Keith's brass would be the easy part. Thanks Keith.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

What you have been doing is not minimal effort! You've been putting lots of quality work into these and it shows.
    I've just been painting the masts, cross beams and putting a wash on the sails. That's minimal effort. But...your statement is quite accurate. This minimal level of effort has a huge positive impact on how the mini looks.
    When I get my wave 2 ships in, I fully plan on doing one of the heavy frigates up Hollywood pirate style and you have been the inspiration. I've never rigged a ship before and I just might go for it. I'm thinking on going for the Royal Fortune look you did as I really like that. It's going to have the ratlines and just maybe the rigging. When I do my demos, I want to have three levels of detail so prospective players can see the flexibility of options
    1) Factory stock
    2) Minimal level = masts, sails washed and maybe ratlines. I might do minimal level with and without ratlines.
    3) All out = hull detail, masts, sails washed, ratlines, and rigging.
    I will admit that the rigging is not something you do quickly, but after you've done just a few ships it starts to go much faster. The painting, washes, etc. are fairly easy to do and don't take up much time. The added green hull work on the Flying Dutchman took all of 10 minutes (with a black wash over the green). I'm anxious to see your demo ships and the AAR's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    To me rigging is a maximum effort/level. Ratlines with Keith's brass would be the easy part. Thanks Keith.
    I agree that rigging is definitely more effort and the ratlines are the quickest part. As I've said before I can't wait to get my ships set up with Keith's custom brass ratlines.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Nightmoss,

Anyone know how to get hold of Andy Roberts? He hasn't logged on in weeks and I was hoping he could modify the pirate logs he made so they would work for my ship.

Have you tried to PM him?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Not sure what happened to him, but his logs were very well done. Like Ed suggested a PM to him might go to his email and he'll check back with you?

Not sure what happened to him, but his logs were very well done. Like Ed suggested a PM to him might go to his email and he'll check back with you?
    Tried that and no response. His last log in date was June 6th.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Tried that and no response. His last log in date was June 6th.
    Well, I hope he's just busy or maybe lost interest in SoG rather than something having happened to him?

Maybe someone else here can help you modify the existing logs he did for the Black Pearl, Royal Fortune or Queen Anne's Revenge? I expect he used something like Photoshop, which I don't have.

Well, I hope he's just busy or maybe lost interest in SoG rather than something having happened to him?

Maybe someone else here can help you modify the existing logs he did for the Black Pearl, Royal Fortune or Queen Anne's Revenge? I expect he used something like Photoshop, which I don't have.
    I'm completely lacking in access to fancy photo editing software.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I can ask Sue if Andy does not return. Being summer, he could be busy with vacation, covering for folks at work, etc.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hello Everyone!

Please pardon my going awol, one thing after another has kept me busy. My job was getting way out of hand and I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Then the company decided that it was not enough and let me go. I am having to sell my house and move in with relatives for the time being. Oh, and to add insult to injuries, someway, somehow, the entire file with all of my templates for the SoG ship bases and mats was deleted from my computer. Having said all of this - if you can give me a few days I will have everything remade and can make whatever you require.

Regards,

Andy Roberts

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roberts View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Please pardon my going awol, one thing after another has kept me busy. My job was getting way out of hand and I was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Then the company decided that it was not enough and let me go. I am having to sell my house and move in with relatives for the time being. Oh, and to add insult to injuries, someway, somehow, the entire file with all of my templates for the SoG ship bases and mats was deleted from my computer. Having said all of this - if you can give me a few days I will have everything remade and can make whatever you require.

Regards,

Andy Roberts
    Hey Andy. We're glad you're back, but very sorry to hear the unfortunate news about your job and home. Under the circumstances I wouldn't worry too much about getting things here back up to where you had them unless it's something you're going to enjoy doing? Take your time and enjoy reading up on the stuff that's happened while you were busy. Take care!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Andy,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I think all of us would say our concern is for you and your family, so to echo Jim, unless you find site interaction a welcome relief, don't worry about our desires.

I truly hope you experience more favorable winds, and do so soon.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Hi Andy
    I can only reiterate what the other guys have said. Know you have a port in any storm here.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim, Thanks to you and the others for the kind words and thoughts. Not having a job at the moment gives me the time that I didn't have to work on and play some SGN. So, I am in the process of remaking my templates and helping Andy B. with his needs. Anyone else that needs ship mats or base cards I can help them also.

I'm going to work on a personal project having to do with ironclads and will be sharing that once I have something to show.

Andy

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roberts View Post
    Jim, Thanks to you and the others for the kind words and thoughts. Not having a job at the moment gives me the time that I didn't have to work on and play some SGN. So, I am in the process of remaking my templates and helping Andy B. with his needs. Anyone else that needs ship mats or base cards I can help them also.

I'm going to work on a personal project having to do with ironclads and will be sharing that once I have something to show.

Andy
    Sounds good, Andy. I know Andy B. has been working on a "Hollywoodized" pirate ship for SoG. I'll be interested to see how that turns out. Your project also sounds very interesting. Please do share when you get to the point where you wnat to show stuff off.

If (and only if) you have some extra time the two SoL's I did repaints for above will need base cards and ship logs. I did the Flying Dutchman and Queen Anne's Revenge, but as they are way too powerful to be realistic pirate/privateer ships there's no rush. It was just a fun repaint on both.

Cheers!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Has anyone created cards and ship logs for pirate sloops yet?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    No, not that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    One of the sloops is an American privateer.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

One of the sloops is an American privateer.
    Yes, the Thorn was a Massachusetts privateer: http://www.awiatsea.com/Privateers/T...Cowell%29.html

But, I'm thinking Airborne wants Pirates, like the Crimson Permanent Assurance?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I thought the Black Pearl flag file was previously uploaded, but couldn't locate it. So here it is if anyone is so inclined to be Captain Jack. Four flags for the price of one. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I'd thought about doing the hull in the same green, but was concerned that it might be overkill. I went ahead and tried it this morning with a light black wash over the green to tone it down a bit. I think it turned out OK? Here are a couple of shots to see what you think?

Name:  FlyingD1.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  145.3 KBName:  FlyingD2.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  134.3 KB
    I'm a little late, but, please tell me her sails glow in the dark.
    (overkill?)

Quote Originally Posted by RotS-Targe View Post
    (overkill?)
    Hmmm...There is glow in the dark paint.

I thought the Black Pearl flag file was previously uploaded, but couldn't locate it. So here it is if anyone is so inclined to be Captain Jack. Four flags for the price of one. Cheers!
    Forgot to thank you for Jack's flag. I will use it when I get around to building some pirate ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Hmmm...There is glow in the dark paint.
    Yes but, that's a good way of getting sunk at night.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Yes but, that's a good way of getting sunk at night.
    She's the Dutchman, I highly doubt she has much to fear from any mortal ship or crew.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Forgot to thank you for Jack's flag. I will use it when I get around to building some pirate ships.
    You're very welcome.

You know, I was just thinking that Jack's flag might look kind of cool on the Millennium Falcon?!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RotS-Targe View Post
    (overkill?)
    They don't actually glow in the dark, but they do reflect and react to light in a rather eerie manner. Kind of creepy as a matter of fact.

You're very welcome.

You know, I was just thinking that Jack's flag might look kind of cool on the Millennium Falcon?!
    Yes it would, flying right over the quad laser cannon.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It beats an overall orange paintjob with a Confederate Battle Flag and "01"....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    It beats an overall orange paintjob with a Confederate Battle Flag and "01"....
    ...or black overall with the number "3"

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Those models look fantastic! My models for the black pearl will Embuscade, i will only own 1 starter set and dont want to use a ship i cant replace individually.
    Shes on her way to me as i type. Shopping around on ebay seems the most cost effective way of getting what i want in blighty, which is a shame because i do like to help bricks and mortar stores where possible.

Well done with those repaints guys.