Thread: Wave 1: The "Must Haves"?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Holofernes

Default Wave 1: The "Must Haves"?

Given that it would be desirable to eventually own all the ships from Wave One, and excluding the ships from the Base/box and the four Kickstarter exclusives:

What two ships from "Wave One" do YOU think are the first "must haves" for players with a limited monthly gaming budget?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

The HMS Bellerophon, surely. Quite a legendary vessel. I'd also want at least one of each class, if I were limited in my budget.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    The HMS Bellerophon, surely
    True, but "excluding the four Kickstarter exclusives"? :)

Personally I'd have gone for the two "captured" frigates, given my feelings that the game is best suited to small ship actions. Looking at what I have now and the future release plans i can see myself maxing out on frigates and smaller ships, but only picking up small numbers of SOLs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Looking at what I have now and the future release plans i can see myself maxing out on frigates and smaller ships, but only picking up small numbers of SOLs.
    How about sharing? I won't tell anyone where I got the information.

Budget, budget? I don't need no stinken budget.
    I buy toys and ammo until I run out of money, then go on a diet.

But my two favorite Wave 1 ships are the Commerce De Bordeaux and the Embuscade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    How about sharing? I won't tell anyone where I got the information.
    Areas made an announcement with a posted photo that sloops and larger frigates are part of Wave 2, along with some 1st rate SOLs.

I saw that pic, I think Dave knows more.

Yes, do tell! We need those heavy frigates!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ah, but my friends, surely there is nothing more to tell........

Yah, right.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Better start talkin'... Sir.

I saw that pic, I think Dave knows more.
    This is no problem that one can't easily solve with hookers & blow, a cameraman and then the threat of extortion to produce the desired information.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Only if you try it on a man open to prostitutes and drugs...

Three letters: "N. D. A." Though, I promise, there are some VERY exciting things among the First Rates in Wave 2... and just the cutting of a Hebe-class sculpt is exciting, because its reprint and custom-card potential under both French AND British flags is virtually limitless.

That should make that class one of SOG's biggest sellers.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm putting together a list of existing sculpts that I'm suggesting Ares should keep in "permanent production"... Slade 74s, Temeraires and Hebes are the start of it. I guarantee, we'll run out of game before they run out of ships on all three...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

I've started considering buying doubles of everything so I can play with both ships represented on one card. I have not yet concluded if I am being slightly over the top on this.

I bought three sets. One to play with, one to save for? And one to experiment with.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

I bought three sets. One to play with, one to save for? And one to experiment with.
    What sort of experimentation?

Repainting color schemes to match other countries, rigging, ratlines, etc..

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

Rigging these things scares me, but the result is so beautiful. I'd love to see pictures when you are done. Who knows maybe I'd give it a go myself.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    I've started considering buying doubles of everything so I can play with both ships represented on one card. I have not yet concluded if I am being slightly over the top on this.
    seems entirely reasonable to me :)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    Rigging these things scares me, but the result is so beautiful. I'd love to see pictures when you are done. Who knows maybe I'd give it a go myself.
    Same here, as I have a disability that leaves me with shaky hands and weak extremities. However, give the paint-brush method a look, as it seems so much easier. http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...t-brush-method

On topic here, I will possibly get one of each of the extra packs. I should have bought two Marine packs for doubles on the exclusives...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I double-tapped everything except Victory and Constitution--my goal is, assuming Ares cooperates, to eventually amass enough to assemble the complete Orders of Battle for all the major engagements of the American Revolutionary, French Revolutionary, Barbary and Napoleonic/1812 Wars.

Thinking: once I engineer my way to my History professorship, being able to give my students something more visual, maybe more interactive, than just dull droning lecture from a pedantic pedagogue who comes off as dead as those they prattle about like the stereotype of the History prof and many I've seen, then maybe it might make me more effective in teaching the subject.

I have a friend who did the same thing with his class using Napoleonic figures.
    Where were teachers like you when I was in school (besides a gleam in your Dad's eyes).

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Then you'd love my approach to WWII: "Everybody grab your gear, we're going out to the paintball range after a little Basic Training. Each of you will have one engagement on each side--after we're done, write an essay comparing and contrasting the two sets of doctrines and tactics. Let's MOVE OUT, maggots!" lol

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Then you'd love my approach to WWII: "Everybody grab your gear, we're going out to the paintball range after a little Basic Training. Each of you will have one engagement on each side--after we're done, write an essay comparing and contrasting the two sets of doctrines and tactics. Let's MOVE OUT, maggots!" lol
    Why am I picturing a somewhat more violent version of Robin Williams's character from _Dead Poets Society_? ;)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I like to think more "the R. Lee Ermey of the Academic Set"... :)

"Now drop and give me twenty, because the more you hate me THE MORE YOU WILL LEARN!"

Re: the topic, I would question the idea that this game has "must-haves." The stat difference are minimal, the paint differences subtle (or at least there are many cases where two or more resemble each other) and historically there was a lot of uniformity. The wave one ships are all basically meat-and-potatos craft of the 18th c. navies. So, I would say get SOL/frigate/mix and British/French/mix as you prefer, and tie break based on appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Re: the topic, I would question the idea that this game has "must-haves." The stat difference are minimal, the paint differences subtle (or at least there are many cases where two or more resemble each other) and historically there was a lot of uniformity. The wave one ships are all basically meat-and-potatos craft of the 18th c. navies. So, I would say get SOL/frigate/mix and British/French/mix as you prefer, and tie break based on appearance.
    And maybe ask Bob of the HMS Lydia if he would be kind enough to make and post custom base cards for them. (for a fee of course)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Just personal taste: frigates!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Holofernes

Wave 2 has a "must have" as far as I'm concerned, due to the "B-Side" of the card.

It's Thorn 1779, with a backside of USS Atalanta 1781! Oh yeah!