Thread: Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin Campaign Group?

Default Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin Campaign Group?

Guys,

I've been working on my campaign document for the Atlantic Campaign of 1806. I was curious how many people in the northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin area would be interested in participating in a campaign this spring/summer maybe even into the fall? I would like to see what interest there is, and who is interested in doing a once a month meeting on Saturday's to play a campaign game of SoG?

In sitting down and thinking about how to setup a campaign, I've got lots of ideas - but I'd like to tailor it to what the group would want. For example, it could be as simple as a string of historically (or non-historically based scenarios) that I create. The depth goes up from there.

Another thought is creating two squadrons of ships that are in the same general area with specific missions during the campaign which I would build scenarios around. Things I'd like to understand would be - would each person want to play the same ship each game (catering to crews and captains gaining experience and such)? Or in any specific mission, would people rather just divvy up the number of ships that were involved? Would everyone prefer to play as part of one squadron while I and maybe guest players (or volunteers from the group who want something different on any given day) play the opponents? Alternatively, we could have two "player controlled squadrons" being pitted against each other every month, with encounters and ships being involved left to me and some randomness.

I see a lot of ways of doing things and structuring it, but to make it the most fun - I'd like to know who would commit to a monthly gathering and how YOU would like the campaign to run.

I've even been giving thought to ways of structuring it to be even more random where you patrol certain areas and all encounters are pretty random. I've got other rules sets I really like to base this around and makes things definitely more interesting as you just never know what'll happen! I can introduce rules for repairing ships, resupply, etc, etc, however much realism the group would like.

So, anyone interested, please let me know and give me a sense of what type of campaign game you might be interested in and how much depth you'd like in it.

I am interested depending on dates. If nothing else getting together for some day events even if not a full campaign would be fun as well similar to the scambles they conduct on the WoG side.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ryan, I'd be interested if the location and dates work out. I'd feel more comfortable with some 'shake down' games before launching into a full campaign, especially as most of my gaming is via computer or consoles these days.

Hey guys,

Yes, my thought "or plan" would probably be to get together for some day games before launching into anything. And with weather being somewhat unpredictable around here until maybe Aprilish, I figure we could at least get one or two day games in with a group.

Any recommendations on where we could all gather sometime in the near future for a broadsides action?!?!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yeah, weather can definitely be a factor in any session planning, even more so this year with the freezing rain we've been getting. I don't have any suggestions right off the top of my head for a gaming spot. I'm in Madison, I think Aaron is in Janesville and I don't know where you are in IL? I wonder if we could 'tag along' on one of the WoG scrambles in Rockford/Loves Park?

Rockford seems like a pretty central location, given everyone's location. I'm in downtown Chicago, I know Eric is southwest of the city.

Where about do you guys meet when you do the WoG meet ups?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Eric will know the details, but I'm pretty sure it's a church/community room in Loves Park, IL. I've never been there so I can't tell you much more than that.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Eric will know the details, but I'm pretty sure it's a church/community room in Loves Park, IL. I've never been there so I can't tell you much more than that.
    Jim is correct. We meet in a church's community center in Loves Park. I am pretty confident everyone would be up for a SoG game. Depending upon how many show up, I imagine we could have two different games going throughout the day. Folks bring food. It is a good time with good folks.

I think the next scramble will be in February.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I'm in McHenry... about an hour east of Rockford/Loves Park. I'd be interested in making it out in Feb. for the scramble.

Eric, do we have a date yet?

My thought is we nail down a date and work towards it for our first "SoG Meetup", I'm sure we'll get more people once we have an event set. Would we have to do anything logistics wise to get this setup?

Looking forward to getting some ships out of port and into the war!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

The location here in Loves Park is St Bridget Church, and as it is where I go to church, I usually set up the Scrambles!!! Unfortunately, things have been very busy there so I have not been able to nail down a date for a room!!! February is looking kind of tight too!!! A campaign would be cool to do, so I'm interested!!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If we can't set up a scramble in Love Park until March, maybe we could look for another location. We would be willing to host a game day, but I think that could knock out some Wisconsin folks due to location. Ryan, if you want, we could gather the central Illinois group for a day, enabling you to test some scenarios you have developed, maybe some campaign game engagements, so when a scramble can be set, you will be ready to go.

I'm open to anything we can set up!

I'm going to Jamaica from the 16th-23rd of February, but other than those two weekends (weekend of the 15-16th and 22nd-23rd) any other weekend is workable for me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Eric: How long of a drive is it for you to Loves Park from Bloomington? 1.5 hours or more?

Do we have any other options for meeting locations that would be somewhat central for everyone (seems something NW of the city is best)? I'd love to get a group together before I leave for Jamaica or that weekend after I return (think it's the first weekend in March, don't have a calendar with me).

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    Eric: How long of a drive is it for you to Loves Park from Bloomington? 1.5 hours or more?
    Between 2 and 2.5 hours.

We are home in Chicago often, so we can meet there as well. Actually, we drive home just to eat or bum around for the day, so it isn't a big deal for us. Any excuse to make that drive north is fine with me.

Ryan, I might be able to arrange something on the Southside. Unfortunately, I know folks who are less than enthusiastic, shall we say, about such a location.

Well, I found out today my kitchen table just about holds two play mats side by side giving us almost a 4x4 space to play (hangs off the edges just a bit). That's always an option as well, but my place doesn't seem to be central for a big group (maybe you and I when you're in town Eric)!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Hi guys,
    My place is available any Saturday. I am on the NW side of Milwaukee. I have 2- 8x2.5ft tables that will hold 4 maps,plus smaller tables as well. I used to have 10 to 20 player poker games, so 10 or 12 of us should work fine.
    Beth and I game almost every Saturday along with Rick and Joe. If anyone is interested in coming over some Saturday just send me a reply.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Don't let me not getting the church dates nailed down stop you from playing!!! If you can set up something in you area, post it up for everyone to see a maybe some of our members will be able to be there!!! We can use Rockford/Loves Park location to bring the different groups together!!! I will look at setting up dates for Scrambles for WoG, and a separate date for SoG so we have plenty of time for each!!! Now that I have my stuff for SoG, I'm itching to play it!!!

Hey guys!

Wanted to revisit this. Anyone in the "area" up for a game day? Depending on the weather, I'm willing to either travel or host people at my place in downtown Chicago on Saturday. I can throw a couple mats on my kitchen table, so could accommodate a few ships! My table can be expanded, so we could even give a line of battle sort of scenario a try, could probably put three mats lengthwise (I only own two though). Might be interesting to give a LOB engagement a try!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the offer Ryan, but I don't foresee much travel until the weather improves significantly. This winter is really starting to get to me (-20F tonite). Ugh!!
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-27-2014 at 19:23.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

This Saturday? I believe we have something on the books. If not, and WEATHER PERMITTING, this would be fun. I will check on availability.

Jim, I am with you. I used to love winter. Now I like winter. I hope that doesn't change, but this year is not helping.

I agree on the weather! Winter is tough here. I walk to work each day (either 1.5 miles or 3 miles, depending which office I go to). Walking either distances in -26 (which is what it was with wind when I left this morning) pretty much is a show stopper!

Door is open, all are welcome if schedules allow!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I agree on the weather! Winter is tough here. I walk to work each day (either 1.5 miles or 3 miles, depending which office I go to). Walking either distances in -26 (which is what it was with wind when I left this morning) pretty much is a show stopper!

Door is open, all are welcome if schedules allow!
    Take lots of photos for a quality AAR if this materializes. Thanks!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cain

I used to live in Rockford and gamed lots at TIY. I am in Milwaukee now, and the Game Store would be a great place to host for any SE Wisconsin area players. Its got a strong community there and needs to have more games like SOG played on their tables.