Thread: Wooden Ruler vs. Cardboard

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Default Wooden Ruler vs. Cardboard

Perhaps somebody already posted about this and I missed it, but has anyone else noticed the short-range (C&D) line is 3/16" shorter on the wooden ruler than on the colored cardboard one?

I consider this a far bigger Ares issue than people they can't control further down the distribution line jumping the street date which has everyone on BGG in an uproar. Upsetting as that is, I at least understand it took an action by a non-Ares employee to mess it up. While they could have foreseen it and perhaps put a procedure in place more efficacious than, "here it is, please don't sell it until date x" at least they tried.

The error on the much ballyhooed wooden ruler however, is 100% Ares fault. And I thought it would lend a nice homage to the era. :angry:

Oh well, at least the cardboard ones are color coordinated, making it faster for new players to draw from the right bag of damage chits.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

This issue has been noted, just can't remember where!! 5mm out

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The mistake was not made by an Ares employee, it was made by myself. As posted in other locations.....

The wooden one is incorrect. This was brought to our attention about a week ago and we are working out a solution to get everyone a new one. Late in the project the size of the CR was changed. I corrected the overall size, but did not realize that they had also increased the range on the special ammo. The overall length of the punch out card ruler is a little variable from sample to sample (this type of production is never 100% accurate, just see the rulers from Wings as an example). By measuring off of the original artwork used to make the card rulers, the wooden ruler's shortest range needs to be 5mm longer.

As I said, we are working out a solution to get everyone a corrected wooden ruler, but in the mean time you can simply scribe/draw a line 5mm further out.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Found it, Ah a bit late it would appear....

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    This was brought to our attention about a week ago and we are working out a solution to get everyone a new one.
    Sorry I missed that post. I was so perturbed at UPS' holiday schedule I stayed away from the forums because I didn't want to confuse my disgust with UPS to be with Ares. My ships arrived at our local UPS facility Monday, but didn't get checked in for pickup until Thursday morning. (I changed it to pickup from delivery as they told me on Monday they wouldn't actually physically touch the box until Thursday and it would be delivered on Friday!!!). I picked them up yesterday. Which is why I didn't notice earlier.

The mistake was not made by an Ares employee, it was made by myself. As posted in other locations.....
    I wasn't blaming the actual creator of the ruler. It was bad data given to you, or more accurately, not given to you as you state here...
    Late in the project the size of the CR was changed. I corrected the overall size, but did not realize that they had also increased the range on the special ammo.
    which I was referencing. I'm going to go ahead and blame Ares for this one. I do admire your willingness to lean across the plate and take one for the team though, and I don't just mean this instance - a certain shipping cost issue comes to mind...

Keith you're a one hell of a stand-up guy!

in the mean time you can simply scribe/draw a line 5mm further out.
    Sort of defeats the purpose of elegance, but this stop-gap solution is more true to the period where sailors had to jury-rig all sorts of stuff, lol. I'll probably just use the cardboard ones for now.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

No worries at all, not everyone can read every reply/post on every site... I even miss things on these sites from time to time! I'll still take full responsibility for the CR error as Ares told me that there were size changes made to it and I did not verify all aspects of it before getting to work on it. I had the original artwork to check against, I either did not or missed it (honestly don't recall it was so long ago).

Drawing the new line does defeat part of the purpose of the wooden ruler, but only until we can get a new one in your hands. the cardboard ones will do fine as well... until you use them so much they fall apart. That's why I made the Prop Rulers for Wings in the fist place... my Nexus ones were trashed!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I'm impressed you guys are fixing it. Kudos.

Speaking of kudos...

I tried to give you and Eric positive rep in another thread, but it says I have to spread more around before I can do so again. It was months ago when I gave you guys rep, and because I was a new little squiddie, it was worth 0-rep points, lol. Guess I need to get spreading some more rep around to others.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

It's the thought that counts ;) So thank you.

The wooden one is incorrect. This was brought to our attention about a week ago and we are working out a solution to get everyone a new one. Late in the project the size of the CR was changed. I corrected the overall size, but did not realize that they had also increased the range on the special ammo. The overall length of the punch out card ruler is a little variable from sample to sample (this type of production is never 100% accurate, just see the rulers from Wings as an example). By measuring off of the original artwork used to make the card rulers, the wooden ruler's shortest range needs to be 5mm longer.

As I said, we are working out a solution to get everyone a corrected wooden ruler, but in the mean time you can simply scribe/draw a line 5mm further out.
    Quick Keith...scribe...scribe like the wind! Since I'm doomed to be near last, maybe you'll have enough time to kick some corrected ones out the door by the time mine is to ship. I'm getting (4) wooden rulers. Should have got (6).

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

Royal, thank you man, seriously. As someone who has had some production problems herself (on another project, of course) I can empathize with your position and *respect* you taking it on the chin. Kudos to you man, you are totally coming at this from the right place. Dammit, now I want to "fit to chest" or do something else impossibly manly. Anyway, freaking a, good job, *respect*, *fist bump* *no?* *sadness* *chestbump?* *stillno?* *sadness* *takeafirsttochest'costhat'showguysrollright?*