Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think SOG KS Delivery is a fiasco?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivner View Post
    To answer the question of what Ares should do to take responsibility - they should offer a refund to anyone who feels they did not receive the game in a timely manner.

If they made a promise to deliver several weeks before street date and they didn't fulfill that promise then they should not expect people to still have to pay for that unfulfilled promise.

Personally, I pledged at Lieutenant level and I'm not that concerned about how late it is as long as it's good quality. So I would not ask for a refund but I think that offering it would be the appropriate thing to do.
    I'm sure anyone that has not received their shipment yet can contact Ares and cancel it for a refund. Of it has already shipped, they can do the same and refuse the package so that it is returned to them.

Only in their choice of a fee warehouse.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

To answer the question of what Ares should do to take responsibility - they should offer a refund to anyone who feels they did not receive the game in a timely manner.

If they made a promise to deliver several weeks before street date and they didn't fulfill that promise then they should not expect people to still have to pay for that unfulfilled promise.

Personally, I pledged at Lieutenant level and I'm not that concerned about how late it is as long as it's good quality. So I would not ask for a refund but I think that offering it would be the appropriate thing to do.
    First off, what promise are you referring to?

Second, Not that Ares wouldn't do it, but what reasonable person would demand a refund when we were all clearly warned warned there could be delays?

Quote Originally Posted by Sails of Glory Kickstarter Risks & Challenges
    Creating a game with painted and assembled miniatures is not an easy challenge, and Ares Games is the first company to launch a game with fully assembled and painted miniature ships. However, we are an experienced publisher of board and miniature games, and our staff already has a significant experience in producing games with ready-to-play miniatures, such as our popular Wings of Glory product range.

The main risk at this stage is that the project might be delayed with respect
    to its scheduled date, if this should become necessary to ensure the level of quality we are looking for in our games in general, and in this product specifically,

There are also risks of delays, as with any game product with Asia-based manufacturing, associated to transport and delivery to our warehouse in the United States. These are also routinely handled by our logistic staff, but unexpected delays due to customs clearance, strikes, exceptional weather are always possible, and they may influence the time necessary to deliver the games to our customers.

Our main challenge is to make sure that the quality of the ship models matches the expectation of our customers, which is based on the very high standard set by our own Wings of Glory miniature game.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

There's always Ebay. I lost interest in Ogre KS when it was a year late so my 2 copies of Ogre KS went to Ebay as soon as they arrived. Made about $90 over cost.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post

As for my friend, yes he did pledge quite a bit at the Admiral level. In hind sight probably not a good move, but he has had great luck selling other Ares products and believed in SOG. This being our first kickstarter we took Ares at their word that KS backers would have product up to 8 weeks in advance of retailers. Now by not delivering and making the street date so close they have taken a major incentive away from him that caused him commit to the KS at such a high level in the first place.
    Aaron,

You should tell your friend that he should be getting his Admiral level pretty soon. I talked with Ares and when they found out that those had not gone out yet, told the warehose to make them a priority. Mine is set to arrive on Friday here in Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bart

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Aaron,

You should tell your friend that he should be getting his Admiral level pretty soon. I talked with Ares and when they found out that those had not gone out yet, told the warehose to make them a priority. Mine is set to arrive on Friday here in Colorado.
    Which I guess means mine being at Leiutenant level is pushed even further down the list.
    Oh well - Admirals should have gotten theirs first anyway.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Well faster is always better but the listing below is from another KS I am in. Notice anything funny?

- 1/08/2014 - Wednesday
    7:46 am Out for delivery PAINESVILLE, OH
    5:18 am At U.S. Postal Service facility PAINESVILLE, OH
    Arrived at local Post Office - Allow one to two additional days for delivery

- 1/07/2014 - Tuesday
    7:50 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST MARTINSBURG, WV
    - 1/06/2014 - Monday
    9:18 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST CLINTON, PA
    - 1/05/2014 - Sunday
    2:11 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST MARTINSBURG, WV
    - 1/04/2014 - Saturday

2:56 am Departed FedEx location HAGERSTOWN, MD
    - 1/03/2014 - Friday

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

REad my previous post from the bottom up.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Which I guess means mine being at Leiutenant level is pushed even further down the list.
    Oh well - Admirals should have gotten theirs first anyway.
    Sorry Bart!
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRoyal20 View Post
    Notice anything funny?
    Not really

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Notice anything funny?

- 1/06/2014 - Monday
    - 1/05/2014 - Sunday
    - 1/04/2014 - Saturday
    Such as it apparently going from WV to PA and back?

Well faster is always better but the listing below is from another KS I am in. Notice anything funny?

- 1/08/2014 - Wednesday

- 1/07/2014 - Tuesday
    - 1/06/2014 - Monday
    - 1/05/2014 - Sunday
    - 1/04/2014 - Saturday

- 1/03/2014 - Friday
    Ok other than it started with FEDEX and ended up in a USPS office, it looks like your package went from WV to PA and back to WV? Maybe the truck got stuck in the snow?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

- 1/08/2014 - Wednesday

- 1/07/2014 - Tuesday
    - 1/06/2014 - Monday
    - 1/05/2014 - Sunday
    - 1/04/2014 - Saturday

- 1/03/2014 - Friday
    Smartpost was not actually a smart post.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot@Me View Post
    Such as it apparently going from WV to PA and back?
    LOL, I missed that! I was looking for some type of SGN connection.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Anything shipped to me from Minnesota or the Dakotas goes through Wyoming to my city of Idaho Falls, down to Salt Lake City (4 hours drive away), then back up here to Idaho Falls before delivery... Adding 1-2 days from when it first hits here in IF just to get put on a truck in SLC and sent back up here to IF. Ridiculous we can't offload the train here.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-08-2014 at 12:01. Reason: Spelling

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

My Captain's pledge was shipped 26 Dec. and my mats got shipped 7 Jan.

Aaron,

I am sure he will be happy to receive them either way. Still negates the benefit he was aiming for of getting them before the street date as he will be lucky to have them by that time. He has been in contact with Ares back and forth and they just do not seem to get that. As I understand it some of their responses were truly lacking in customer service especially considering how much he invested in the project. I am sure at this point they are truly overwhelmed with all the complaints and getting a bit burnt out.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Yes, I've noticed a drop in their typically cheery response to some people over that last several weeks. I can only imagine how stressful some of this has been for them.

I can't speak for others but, every email I have ever sent to Ares was answered promptly and politely.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I can't speak for others but, every email I have ever sent to Ares was answered promptly and politely.
    Ditto here. Nothing but respect for how I've been treated thus far.

I second that emotion!

I've been lucky so far and have not needed to contact them. However, I haven't received my order yet and keeping my fingers crossed that the order is correct and nothing is damaged.

Same here Bobby, no notification or delivery yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they do arrive at least before the retail release date of 13 Jan I think it is, but I'm not hopeful anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Same here Bobby, no notification or delivery yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they do arrive at least before the retail release date of 13 Jan I think it is, but I'm not hopeful anymore.
    My notification came. A day AFTER I received the ships.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    My notification came. A day AFTER I received the ships.
    That's fast. Ours came today, several days afterwards.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Ares has been prompt with their response for me as long as you go thru the KS site. No. Complaints here, they will resolve my damaged parts after the KS stuff is complete.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

To my earilier post: yes it went from WV (about 7 hours from home) to PA (<2 Hours from home) and then back to the same location in WV!! That is almost as bad as flying fron Cleveland to Houston in order to get to Holland (which I have done more than once!)!

So by contrast my SoG delivery was as smooth as silk. In fact in 2013, Ares has done the best job of my many KS projects.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I just noticed that Old IronSides and Searoyal20 use the same avatar... throw me off a bit there. lol

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Thats okay. Just give me all his promotions and him all my lashes!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

An update on my KS package fiasco (again not Ares but just to show Ares did a good job) I called USPS to hold my package which shipped via FEDEX. They want the USPS tracking number which I dont have as it is on the box. All Fedex sent me was their tracking number. Fedex tells me to add two specific digits and the info should appear but it does not. So the box is a mile from my house in surrounded by 1000 other boxes and nobody can fetch it for me. So I sent in a Marine. Hopefully he can get it for me. Ares shipping was so simple that my daughter was able to get them for me while I was on vacation.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Just got word. My Marine was sucessful!

Just got word. My Marine was sucessful!
    Oorah

Given known delays in getting to Australia.... and no shipping number yet... it won't arrive before Cancon on the 26th.

As regards UPS - I think the record is for one of my Shapeways orders. Koeln->Leeds->Koeln->Leeds->Schipol->Koeln->Ky->Pa->Ky->Syd->Koeln->Syd->Cbr. A couple of sorting errors en route, I suspect it was left behind in Koeln and the label misread on another package. It arrived 38 days after dispatch.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Zoe, there have been a lot of people that get there packages before they get the tracking number... if they even get a tracking number. There is still some hope....

Ordinary Seaman
    Japan

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeffrey

Default International Captain in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Queen View Post
    Given known delays in getting to Australia.... and no shipping number yet... it won't arrive before Cancon on the 26th.
    International backers in Japan are getting their shipments. Got my email with tracking numbers yesterday Thursday, saying that both packages had been sent a week earlier. Checking immediately, I found that my mats were at the sort facility here in Japan, then later, they cleared customs, then Japan Post got them and delivered them at 9am this morning, Friday. This evening, I found that the game box arrived at the sort facility mid-afternoon, so it'll be here soon!
    I think Ares has done a great job with the KS and most people have been supportive of their handling of the project.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by longagoigo View Post
    International backers in Japan are getting their shipments. Got my email with tracking numbers yesterday Thursday, saying that both packages had been sent a week earlier. Checking immediately, I found that my mats were at the sort facility here in Japan, then later, they cleared customs, then Japan Post got them and delivered them at 9am this morning, Friday. This evening, I found that the game box arrived at the sort facility mid-afternoon, so it'll be here soon!
    I think Ares has done a great job with the KS and most people have been supportive of their handling of the project.
    That's good news!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom

I've backed a fair number of kickstarters- Some of which were funded long before SOG and are still getting the last of the rewards out to folks. So this is pretty par for the course as far as I can tell (except the mass email addresses business that was very unfortunate...)

It's funny, to back a kickstarter project in the first place you have to fall in love a little with the product you are supporting. Then with project delays (and with significantly complicated projects like SOG there are _always_ delays) and shipping snafus, it's hard not to have feelings akin to a jilted lover. The frustration is understandable. One of the problems I see is that Kickstarter is a crowdfunding tool that acts, walks, quacks and is used like a preorder system - and the expectations lean in that direction. But we are funding projects from individuals or small companies doing things they've never done before (Not as much with Ares - this game was in their wheelhouse- but I backed the Duke from Catalyst and they hadn't done a tile based game before)

My own experience with SOG shipping was good (and interesting)- I received my Lt. Pack (in good order but no shipping numbers) while I was out of town, both the game and the mat were waiting for me on December 27. Later I received tracking numbers which made me chuckle. Then a few days after that I received a second Lt. Pack and play mat. Wait, what?

I have to admit it was _very_ tempting to stay quiet and enjoy a second set of ships and a second play mat but I remembered where I laid my moral compass (and how I'd like Ares to stay in business to make more ships... ) So, I duly reported this to Ares and am awaiting instructions on how to return the extra set.

I see on the kickstarter page that I'm not the only one to receive a second set, I wonder how many others are out there. I hope they had enough extras to not have this delay shipping further for those who haven't received theirs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fremantle View Post
    I've backed a fair number of kickstarters- Some of which were funded long before SOG and are still getting the last of the rewards out to folks. So this is pretty par for the course as far as I can tell (except the mass email addresses business that was very unfortunate...)

It's funny, to back a kickstarter project in the first place you have to fall in love a little with the product you are supporting. Then with project delays (and with significantly complicated projects like SOG there are _always_ delays) and shipping snafus, it's hard not to have feelings akin to a jilted lover. The frustration is understandable. One of the problems I see is that Kickstarter is a crowdfunding tool that acts, walks, quacks and is used like a preorder system - and the expectations lean in that direction. But we are funding projects from individuals or small companies doing things they've never done before (Not as much with Ares - this game was in their wheelhouse- but I backed the Duke from Catalyst and they hadn't done a tile based game before)

My own experience with SOG shipping was good (and interesting)- I received my Lt. Pack (in good order but no shipping numbers) while I was out of town, both the game and the mat were waiting for me on December 27. Later I received tracking numbers which made me chuckle. Then a few days after that I received a second Lt. Pack and play mat. Wait, what?

I have to admit it was _very_ tempting to stay quiet and enjoy a second set of ships and a second play mat but I remembered where I laid my moral compass (and how I'd like Ares to stay in business to make more ships... ) So, I duly reported this to Ares and am awaiting instructions on how to return the extra set.

I see on the kickstarter page that I'm not the only one to receive a second set, I wonder how many others are out there. I hope they had enough extras to not have this delay shipping further for those who haven't received theirs yet.
    I agree you have to throw out the word pre-order when discussing KS!

I am glad you told Ares about that LT set - that could be my package!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I am glad you told Ares about that LT set - that could be my package!
    Seconded! Nothing but quality folks around here!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I agree that the delivery hasn't been too bad (and I haven't received my pledge yet).

The only element of delivery that has been somewhat annoying for me is Ares promising too much. They've told us three or four times things that turned out to be too optimistic, like "the shipping containers are at the warehouse now," "delivery is almost complete," or "delivery will be finished by X date." I don't actually think delivery has been bad or too slow, but it does get a little old to be constantly told things that turn out to be incorrect.

That has been frustrating for me because it has been a problem throughout their campaign--the Ares staff seem to have a tendency to over-promise, and I wish that they had learned that lesson before promising us so much during the distribution. I don't think that they're deliberately deceptive or anything like that...it just seems like they are too optimistic about what they can accomplish in a given time frame. I agree very much with some of the people who've recently been encouraging Ares to manage expectations on the Kickstarter page. This is what I said back in early October:

Quote Originally Posted by BSG_Fan View Post
    After the first delay I've always had in my head that Christmas was a more realistic delivery date, so I'm not necessarily disappointed. But even for me, to be constantly informed of delays is getting a little annoying. In my experience, any project almost always takes longer than you anticipate; I'd much rather have extra time factored in to the delivery estimate rather than have Ares keep speculating about the earliest that they could get the game shipped under the best of conditions. It's frustrating to constantly get messages like "OK, the game will be delayed a few weeks into September...oh, now it will be October...sorry, now it will be November." I'd much rather have Ares give us one message and say "Sorry, the release will be delayed until Christmas." And then if it doesn't take that long you get the pleasant surprise of, "Great news! The delay wasn't as bad as we expected, and we'll be able to ship a few weeks earlier than we told you."
    I really don't think that the delays have been unreasonable at all, and I'm perfectly happy with the decisions and events that have delayed the release. But in my opinion it has just been obvious for a long, long time that significant delays were likely, and it's not a good idea to keep promising your customers the absolute best-case scenario. Give them the worst case scenario, or at least one with a little realism in it, and then leave them pleasantly surprised.

As an aside, they seem to be doing it all over again with the wave 2 ships. For the initial Kickstarter, they thought that preproduction was "95% complete" and it has still taken them 8+ months to get the product to us. Now they're telling us that they can take all of our orders for wave 2, collect all our money, manufacture the ships, send them from China to the US, and start shipping them to us in March. Even if the second wave can be produced faster because of the lessons learned, if I were Ares I would be telling my customers that these ships are coming in 2015. There is no reason to do this process of repeated "delays" all over again.

But other than that public relations issue of managing expectations, I think that the campaign (including the distribution) has been good. I'm perfectly happy with most of the decisions that they've taken, the product that we're getting, and the manner in which we are getting it.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by BSG_Fan View Post
    As an aside, they seem to be doing it all over again with the wave 2 ships. For the initial Kickstarter, they thought that preproduction was "95% complete" and it has still taken them 8+ months to get the product to us. Now they're telling us that they can take all of our orders for wave 2, collect all our money, manufacture the ships, send them from China to the US, and start shipping them to us in March. Even if the second wave can be produced faster because of the lessons learned, if I were Ares I would be telling my customers that these ships are coming in 2015. There is no reason to do this process of repeated "delays" all over again.
    With the exception, from what I understand, the Wave 2 ships are already in production. There is no waiting for us to pledge and them collect money first before starting production. But I agree, I don't think they will be here in March.

Since we didn't get the game in time for the Christmas holidays, my kids and I are planning to break open the boxes in earnest during Spring Break in April. I mentioned Ares was planning to do more ships, and my son asked if they would be available by April. My answer, without hesitation: "No."

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

With the exception, from what I understand, the Wave 2 ships are already in production. There is no waiting for us to pledge and them collect money first before starting production. But I agree, I don't think they will be here in March.
    So wave 2 will not be a kickstarter. It will be a regular release just like a Series # release for Wings of Glory. They will be available for pre-order at the Aerodrome store and delivered when available. Well, put them up on the Aerodrome and let's start pre-ordering and not put Ares in a distribution situation.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by longagoigo View Post
    International backers in Japan ....
    Welcome aboard, Jeffrey. Stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you.

http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

Well, after reading other reports here and elsewhere I hope Ares is taking note. Their distributor certainly let them down. Of course I maintain they could have alieviated much of this had they pushed back the street date to a realistic time frame to allow "all" KS backers to get the rewards "weeks" prior to release as promised.

I am sure they are happy this phase is behind them, but it would be nice if they put out a survey or some sort of feedback mechanism to collect up issues that can be applied to future lessons learned.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Well, after reading other reports here and elsewhere I hope Ares is taking note. Their distributor certainly let them down. Of course I maintain they could have alieviated much of this had they pushed back the street date to a realistic time frame to allow "all" KS backers to get the rewards "weeks" prior to release as promised.

I am sure they are happy this phase is behind them, but it would be nice if they put out a survey or some sort of feedback mechanism to collect up issues that can be applied to future lessons learned.
    They already have three major feedback systems: KS comments/messages, BGG, and this site. Do they really need to a 4th venue for everyone to complain? I'd much rather the 5 man team at Ares expand their energies on the games they have out and the ones they are about to release.

They already have three major feedback systems: KS comments/messages, BGG, and this site. Do they really need to a 4th venue for everyone to complain? I'd much rather the 5 man team at Ares expand their energies on the games they have out and the ones they are about to release.
    That is great if they are reading it and taking note...just hate to see these problems repeated in the future if they decide to go this route again.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That is great if they are reading it and taking note...just hate to see these problems repeated in the future if they decide to go this route again.
    I rather doubt we'll see another KS campaign from Ares anytime soon, and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to take a break from the pressure. If/When they do put up another project I hope they lay out clearly in advance what is and isn't part of Kickstarter backer entitlements.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I can assure you that they are. Roberto and I have talked about it to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I rather doubt we'll see another KS campaign from Ares anytime soon, and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to take a break from the pressure. If/When they do put up another project I hope they lay out clearly in advance what is and isn't part of Kickstarter backer entitlements.
    So far they are not turning their back on KS, but they have stated that they would not use it to launch new games that already have a strong chance of success (like Lord of the Rings games).

I've been trying to talk them into using KS to do expansions for their existing games. These KS would be much smaller in nature with limited components needing to be made. For example, I'm pushing really hard for them to use KS to test offering different paint jobs for the more popular Wings of Glory WWI planes (like the Fokker D.VII). Since they already have the molds and have produced this mini in the past, the only development time would be to proof the paint jobs and then it would be a straight production run. Stretch goals could be limited to just different pilots/paint jobs being offered.

I've been trying to talk them into using KS to do expansions for their existing games. These KS would be much smaller in nature with limited components needing to be made. For example, I'm pushing really hard for them to use KS to test offering different paint jobs for the more popular Wings of Glory WWI planes (like the Fokker D.VII). Since they already have the molds and have produced this mini in the past, the only development time would be to proof the paint jobs and then it would be a straight production run. Stretch goals could be limited to just different pilots/paint jobs being offered.
    I can see many areas where this would be welcome. Even for new planes or even future ships. A WWII Pacific themed release would be very welcome as many are already using other sources for models. They would then have to commitment upfront to know who is interested via KS and then be able to do limited release to general public.