Thread: FAVORITE HISTORICAL MILITARY GAME

Default FAVORITE HISTORICAL MILITARY GAME

Beside WGF, WGS and SGN, what are your favorite Land, Sea and Air historical military games?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I find it very difficult to retain focus and so my interests and favourites wander like a leaf on the breeze. Current favourites include:

Naval:
    Napoleonic naval using Form Line of Battle
    ACW using Iron and Fire
    Medieval using a home-produced set

Air
    WW2 using Air War 1940 (the not-yet-released version of C21)

Land
    Colonial using Battle for Empire
    WW2 Burma skirmish using a home grown set
    Ancients using DBA

SF
    Babylon 5 using the Earth Force Source Book variant of Full Thrust

Almost forgot to list mine, (Currently)

Air: Canvas Eagles.

Land: Flames of War.

Sea: WS&IM using inches, not hexes.
    Flying Colors.

SF: None. (not enough imagination I guess)

Land - A Fistful of TOWs

Sea - Fighting Sail

Air - Check Your Six

Land: Advanced Squad Leader
    Sea: Sails of Glory
    Air: Canvas Eagles

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Land - A Fistful of TOWs
    First I've heard of this one....

Land: _Twilight:2000 Last Battle_

Sea: _Battlewagon_

Air: _Mustangs_ (WW2); _Richthofen's War_ (WW1)

Space: _Battlestar Galactica_ (FASA 1980s edition).

Sea: Wooden Ships & Iron Men, then Fighting Sail
    Air: Not an aviation collector but apart from WOG,but probably RAF (solo battle of Britain) but it's more strategic than tactical
    Land: Too many to list...I have way too many on the shelves and you cant have a favourite child!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I haven't gamed regularly face to face in a long time so my list is going to be ancient compared to the rest of you. And the primary reason for these being favorites is they were the only games I could coerce friends and family into actually playing.

Sea: Midway / http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2250/midway
    Air: Luftwaffe / http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3646/luftwaffe
    Land: Borodino / http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252/borodino

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

I've played/owned Midway and Borodino at one time. Unfortunately I was in the USAF and single which meant shipping to isolated tours meant low weight and selling stuff.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tmon View Post
    I've played/owned Midway and Borodino at one time. Unfortunately I was in the USAF and single which meant shipping to isolated tours meant low weight and selling stuff.
    By today's standards these aren't very impressive I suppose, but they were fun and challenging back then. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to store them at my childhood home and get them all back when I moved permanently to Madison. Still in boxes in the basement storage area.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Not sure if it counts as a "military game," but Empires In Arms is far and away my favorite historical wargame.

Ace of Aces is my favorite "Air" game.

Haven't played many sea military games (unless you count Empires in Arms or perhaps Axis & Allies), so Sails of Glory is the default favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    Not sure if it counts as a "military game," but Empires In Arms is far and away my favorite historical wargame.
    If Empires In Arms isn't a military game, nothing is.
    The only reason I didn't list it as my favorite is because it's hard to get enough people to put in all the hours it takes to play the game.

Land: in the past I really liked Squad Leader (pre-"Advanced") and the GBACW series, especially the Antietam one. Third Reich was of course a classic. Back in the day we also had a lot of fun with VG Ambush, playing it as a "cooperative" where we each ran a couple of soldiers against the solitaire engine.

Sea: - in recent years a lot of A&A War at Sea with the kids. Simplistic, but fun and fast, and for me it's actually a great system to resolve individual battles within a campaign framework (we've run Solomons-ish, Malta/Med, and entire war using A&A maps and pieces multiple times each)
    - in my wargaming past the VG "Fleet" games were really fun. Midway was actually my first wargame, so also a lot of great memories there

Air: nothing has ever really captured me I'm afraid. Occasionally I boot up War Thunder to fly an incompetent wingman to my 11 year old

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    If Empires In Arms isn't a military game, nothing is.
    The only reason I didn't list it as my favorite is because it's hard to get enough people to put in all the hours it takes to play the game.
    The only reason I qualified my selection is because I've only played the Grand Campaign, and the economic and political elements of the game are so perfectly woven into the game that it's not strictly a "military" game. But it's the best Napoleonic era game I've ever played (and pretty close to the best game I've ever played, period.)

Having said that, I agree completely that it's very difficult to find 7 people and the necessary space to play the game for the hundreds of hours it can take to play the Grand Campaign. But oh so worth it!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

SPI mainly, War in Europe (monster game, set up on two 4x8 boards and couple card tables for productions)
    Prestag series, modern war 1 & 2. Most of the early S&T and Ares games. That ancient enuff for you all? Then Twilight 2000.

Oh yes, sea types, Midway, Jutland, both by AH.

Air types, mainly whatever was put out in AH or S&T.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Land: Panzer series (GMT) for tactical; Third Reich for strategic; also starting to collect the Conflict of Heroes series (Academy Games)

Air: Richthofen's War

Sea: Flying Colors

Just acquired: The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43

Curious about: RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940; Der Weltkrieg (WWI series)

Reality: I have enjoyed most of the wargames I have played, but am now in the process of thinning the herd; it is hard determining which games I will let go, but time does not allow all of them to get to the table - this is one of my biggest regrets in taking a 25-30 year hiatus from playing wargames

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just recalled a massive board game that was played every year at GenCon when they were still in Milwaukee. Fire in the East by Europa Games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...re-in-the-east
    You'd come on Thursday and they'd 'enlist' anyone who wanted to sit in and play a few turns. Usually the game went on for four full days with the front line barely moving. Most often they did 1942 when things were a bit more balanced for the Russian player. It was an annual favorite to see the huge map, awesome number of counters and the scores of enthusiastic gamers.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-01-2014 at 23:27.

The Fire in the East replacement game called Total War has been coming any day now for about six years I think (though the initial announcement goes back maybe ten). For an entertaining read on the inventive excuses about why it hasn't been released (including paper porosity problems, death of someone at the printing company, fire in the building where the company resides (this did actually happen though), etc etc go to

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd48b3b/7470

There are 7500 messages in the forum but just scan around at random over the last few thousand if you need a good laugh.

Axis & Allies

Fortress America

Air: Duel in the Dark

Space: Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Imperium

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

conflict of heroes series
    Axis & Allies dif. versions
    Das Boot (engl. Steelwolves)
    Wings of War
    Eclipse
    Twilight Imperium
    Battlestar Galactica
    and maybe, if the game ever comes to me..............Sails of Glory!
    I can say that because I haved played with my "Pirates of..." ships in a nearly same way.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    The Fire in the East replacement game called Total War has been coming any day now for about six years I think (though the initial announcement goes back maybe ten). For an entertaining read on the inventive excuses about why it hasn't been released (including paper porosity problems, death of someone at the printing company, fire in the building where the company resides (this did actually happen though), etc etc go to

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd48b3b/7470

There are 7500 messages in the forum but just scan around at random over the last few thousand if you need a good laugh.
    Yes, reading those messages was good for a lot of laughing. In fact the first one I saw was great! lol.

The NYC Metro area is going to be hit with a Blizzard tomorrow night.

I hope it doen't delay the delivery of our copy of TW by an additional 6 months!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Air: Duel in the Dark
    Andrzej has spoken of this game rather highly, as well. I need to get a copy. Do you play with any of the mini-expansions?

As I scanned the above posts it seems that most responses have been board games. I mostly play miniatures, but have had a renewed interest in board games. Lately I have played some of the block games. "Crusader Rex" and "Julius Caesar". I also bought the 4th Ed of "Napoleon" from Columbia's KS. I just bought my son a cool football (soccer) game called "Soccero" (ok off topic!).

My favorite miniatures games right now:
    Land: SAGA, Bolt Action, Black Powder, Regimental Fire N Fury, Fields of Glory: Napoleonics, Carnage & Glory, and WAB2. Also some games by The Perfect Captain.

Air: WGF

Sea: SOG (soon hopefully!), Clear for Action (old DOS based computer aided rules), and I am hoping to try David Manley's variants for Trafalgar soon.

Sci-Fi - X-Wing. (I'll admit to an occasional friendly beer and pretzels style 40k game as well)

There are just too many interesting games and periods to game out there!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Now that you've mentioned PC games I'd like to include 3 for that category too? The main reason I rely on console or computer games relates to what I said above; finding face to face opponents can be nigh impossible at times. Computer games are always there, and now with platforms like Steam you can find opponents online if need be. AI has also improved significantly so it's not always an easy win over the computer

Land: Unity of Command by Matrix/Slitherine http://matrixgames.com/store/417/Unity.of.Command
    Sea: Carriers at War by SSG http://matrixgames.com/store/337/Carriers.at.War
    Air: Wings of Prey by Gaijin (same guys doing War Thunder) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bHkDdTJvK8

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Now that you've mentioned PC games ...
    I remember being outside playing with my buddies when one of the guy's parents called us in to show us a new game - Pong. We played for a few minutes, and then went back outside. We didn't think anyone would ever want to play a "video" game. I think we were wrong.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Andy check out MATRIX games for ASL. There is a game in production that looks great.