View Poll Results: Flipping cards, or two miniatures?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll have a ship mini for both sides.

35 44.30%
  • I'll make due with one ship and flip the card as needed.

38 48.10%
  • I only need one ship and one side of the card to play my games.

6 7.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipping cards, or buying two ships?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Flipping cards, or buying two ships?

It might still be a little early for many of us to know which way we will go on this topic, but I"m curious what people are thinking about doing. Are you planning on having two miniatures so you can feild both the A and B side of each card, or will you just flip the card over as needed?

I'll have a ship for each card, with minor changes for the flip side ship

It would depend on the ship for me. Some I would be satisfied with one ship and others I would want multiple ships. For example I would want multiple British 38's as there are many times more than one would be used in game. A British 64, one would be enough.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Doubletap of everything except the uniques.

I'll have to wait to see if the flip side of the card has any significant difference.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I'll make do with one for now. I'm going to wait and see how big our games get. We have several sets between us here in Columbus and can flip as needed.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

I pledged at Commodore level, and I plan to keep at least one set of 16 ships. Unless something very unexpected happens, I don't anticipate needing more than 4 Frigates or 4 SOL's on a side in a single battle.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ship for each card is my plan, but plans might change once I get the game components in hand.

Besides my WoG purchases, the size of my fleet will not be that huge.

Normaly a reason to flip the ship's cards, but I think I'll make a decision for the cooler/better name and keep this side for gaming.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A ship for each side for me, well that's the intention anyway

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I'll need to get the 8 ships not included in the LT KS backer package before I even consider a second version of the ships. And heck... soon after that happens wave 2 will be taking pre-orders!!!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In making history, a Chicagoan not only did not vote more than once in a single election, but abstained from voting. Until I have the game in hand, and a better idea of what will be useful at cons, I don't know how I will utilize the double-sided cards. Since I am in at the Commodore level, I believe I can play both sides with the ships I have, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    In making history, a Chicagoan not only did not vote more than once in a single election, but abstained from voting. Until I have the game in hand, and a better idea of what will be useful at cons, I don't know how I will utilize the double-sided cards. Since I am in at the Commodore level, I believe I can play both sides with the ships I have, correct?
    Correct. Minor ship changes (or not so minor) for the flip side.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I already have a small fleet for both UK and France (one each side: 4-ship SoL squadron, 4-ship frigate squadron)....

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I will wait and see.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Sixteen ships is enough for me. If I get my sons to play and we all controlled 4 ships apiece, I would be using everything I own and the battle would be extremely crowded. I don't see this happening. I may get the victory and the constitution when they are released but that's about it. I'd much rather keep buying WGF airplanes. Bring on series 7 and series 8, which reminds me I must place my order at the Aerodrome!

I will have a mini for each card, plus if they ever come out with new cards for the same class, I will do the same.

I am not a real fan of swapping bits, that is where damage occurs.

Some small distinctive change will be needed to make it stand out as a different ship though.

I will wait and see what is the best way to achieve this.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I'll have to wait to see if the flip side of the card has any significant difference.
    Me too

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Wait...

Are you saying ONLY ONE ship for each card side?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    Wait...

Are you saying ONLY ONE ship for each card side?
    Each ship card that comes with one mini has two sides. What they are saying is that you buy two copies of the same mini, one for each side of the card. Obviously you also end up with two identical two sided cards since you bought two minis. The point is that you use one identical mini for one side and the other identical mini for the other side.
    From a basic practical point of view, this makes sense if you want to use the ships on both sides of the card in the same battle.
    From another point of view, it might make sense for wear and tear purposes. You're not swapping out parts. It's minor, but it's not without merit.
    Last edited by Andy Blozinski; 12-29-2013 at 00:02.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'm pretty sure Bruce was speaking in jest with the size of his KS order. lol

Another merit to the "ship for every card side" is that you could semi-permanently attach your ship to the base, making for a more secure storage solution.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hell, with the size of HIS order I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce started creating his own custom cards to fill out the classes' unprinted sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Hell, with the size of HIS order I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce started creating his own custom cards to fill out the classes' unprinted sisters.
    Hope he does, I'll be his first customer.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post

Another merit to the "ship for every card side" is that you could semi-permanently attach your ship to the base, making for a more secure storage solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Hope he does, I'll be his first customer.
    Yes, it was definitely an attempt at humor.

As some on this site know, I went a bit, pardon the expression, overboard with my original KS pledge and then again with the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post

I would think you would only have to permanently attach it to the clear plastic part if you wanted something 100% secure. This way you could still flip the card.
    Keith: It looks like Litko stopped making his ship bases with etched wakes. This is a product you could offer sized specifically for SoG.

I would think you would only have to permanently attach it to the clear plastic part if you wanted something 100% secure. This way you could still flip the card.
    Keith: It looks like Litko stopped making his ship bases with etched wakes. This is a product you could offer sized specifically for SoG.
    Seems like the etched waves would make reading the card difficult, that is if it is clear plastic and goes on top of the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Seems like the etched waves would make reading the card difficult, that is if it is clear plastic and goes on top of the card?
    If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.

If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.
    Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?
    I just received some custom Litko bases to use with my Langton 1/1200 ships. They're black opaque plastic 1/8" thick; 3 sizes for the various ships I'll be mounting on the water bases, which then go on top of the Litko base. If you want I can take some photos tomorrow to show you how they look?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The issue with only attaching it to the clear cover is that the cover is then not securely attached to the rest of the base. That and the peg goes through both of them.

I can look into adding some etching to a clear cover. My own idea I've been kicking around ever since I got the first prototype ship was sculpted base either cast in resin or 3D printed. The firing arcs and wind gauges would be recessed into the sculpt. They would have to be painted by the customer and producing them would be a big project, so it's still in the idea phase.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!
    Show me some good wakes. Top down would be best. I'm seriously contemplating getting some custom jobs from Litko. I've already emailed them. They stopped making the catalog items with wakes because he said everyone wanted them a different size. He said they are contemplating adding a basemaker option specifically for ship bases with a wake. For now he said he could make me some custom jobs if I tell him what I want.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here's a good one.....

How much horsepower is pushing that?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A bit but not much. The wake would be OK for a ship under more sail than she is carrying. Haven't found a decent top down photo of a ship purely under sail yet but then it is NYD and I only have a phone so searching is not as easy as it could be :)

The trick though is "understated"

Here's another photo. Not quite directly overhead.

Name:  wake1.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  9.7 KB

Interesting. It looks like mainly what you see is in the front. I'm thinking maybe get a good bow crest etched and then have a long stern wake etched. Hull length is not important because a long ship could simply cover up part of a long etched stern wake. I'll email Litko and have them send me photos of what they used to have since they don't have them as a reference on the web site any more.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Interesting. It looks like mainly what you see is in the front. I'm thinking maybe get a good bow crest etched and then have a long stern wake etched. Hull length is not important because a long ship could simply cover up part of a long etched stern wake. I'll email Litko and have them send me photos of what they used to have since they don't have them as a reference on the web site any more.
    The width of the stern wake might matter as it could be coming out the sides of shorter ships or as a stream out the back of longer ships. If they send you photos, can you please share them. I've never seen them either... trying to decide how well 2D etch would work for wake.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Humm, just had a thought....

If etching can make a nice looking wake effect, I should be able to do the etching right on top of the clear plastic cover that come with the ships. That way one would not need an entirely new base and it would fit in 100% with every other ship you might game with.

I would likely just glue the ship to the etched base, but Litko can make them with a peg hole.

I would likely just glue the ship to the etched base, but Litko can make them with a peg hole.
    Even if the bases didn't have a peg hole, it seems like it wouldn't be that much trouble to drill them yourself if you wanted them.

Name:  Litko base with wakes.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  115.9 KBJim at Litko did not have any photos of the old wake bases. He did have a photo of a base they make for another game. I've attached it to this posting.

Regarding the original topic, if the ships were significantly different in stats, I'd be tempted to have two so they could both play in a battle. But since all the ships in a class appear to be fairly interchangeable, one of each should be plenty.

It was easy to justify doing a little extra stocking up via the KS, since the first wave were all great bread and butter ships to fill out a basic fleet quickly. From here, though, I think I can be a little more selective. I might very well buy doubles on the sloops in wave 2, while leaving off some of the first-raters all together...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Speaking of custom cards, I started a thread where we can discuss stretching the existing sculpts to sister-ships and near-sisters...

So far it's a lot of placeholders for the Wave 1 and 2 sculpts, but it's at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...n-Custom-Cards

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Name:  Litko base with wakes.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  115.9 KB

Jim at Litko did not have any photos of the old wake bases. He did have a photo of a base they make for another game. I've attached it to this posting.
    Humm, hard to tell from that photo, but I'm not overly impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

I like the idea of larger battles and multiple games, perhaps at conventions. So, I want a ship for each side of the card. I would also like to get extras and make some custom cards. There were quite a few Amazon class frigates, Bellona class & Elizabeth class SoL's and there were tons of Temeraire class SoL's.

Speaking of custom cards, I started a thread where we can discuss stretching the existing sculpts to sister-ships and near-sisters...

So far it's a lot of placeholders for the Wave 1 and 2 sculpts, but it's at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...n-Custom-Cards
    Cool! Are we going to be able to post them?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    Cool! Are we going to be able to post them?
    Yes, as they are not a replacement for a component that Ares makes. They have specifically stated that cards and stats for ships they do not yet make are just fine. Should they make a ship in the future that we have already done a custom card for, we would simply remove the custom at that point.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: With the issues I've been having with some cards fitting poorly into the bases, I'm glad I decided not to fight with flipping.

Re deletion of customs... if the stats are different and they're clearly a different fit for the same ship (say, Ares does an official mixed-battery Egmont and we already have the 1783 all-carronade load as a custom) then can the variant stay with a note about why it differs?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Update: With the issues I've been having with some cards fitting poorly into the bases, I'm glad I decided not to fight with flipping.

Re deletion of customs... if the stats are different and they're clearly a different fit for the same ship (say, Ares does an official mixed-battery Egmont and we already have the 1783 all-carronade load as a custom) then can the variant stay with a note about why it differs?
    As long as it is pointed out that it is not an official card, I think that should be fine. In fact, perhaps we should decide on some type of logo or change in color/design for the custom cards. That way it would be easy for players to know the difference at a glance.