View Poll Results: Flipping cards, or two miniatures?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll have a ship mini for both sides.

35 44.30%
  • I'll make due with one ship and flip the card as needed.

38 48.10%
  • I only need one ship and one side of the card to play my games.

6 7.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flipping cards, or buying two ships?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

How 'bout just putting the Anchrage logo on the corner of each card and log section?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    How 'bout just putting the Anchrage logo on the corner of each card and log section?
    Sounds like good solution to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Hope he does, I'll be his first customer.
    Then I would be his second customer!!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kris

I'm happy just to have one for now but if I have the pennies I'll get two

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    They have specifically stated that cards and stats for ships they do not yet make are just fine. Should they make a ship in the future that we have already done a custom card for, we would simply remove the custom at that point.
    If they themselves made up packs of extra ship cards to fill out the rest of each class (with stat boards for ships whose ratings vary), that would be the single most effective thing that they could do to get me to buy more ships. I only have GFOJ, Cape St. V, and Trafalgar in my Spreadsheet of Doom so far, but it's already telling me that I need nine more Temeraires. I'm holding fire on snagging more of them, in case there are more repaints coming as filler between waves of actual new sculpts. With cards for the ships I need for particular battles already in hand, I wouldn't have a reason to wait.

(My real answer to this poll is "A ship mini for both sides still doesn't give me enough 74s. I can has moar, plz?")

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Susan, I've been working with another member who stages Very Large Battles (he did Nile last year and is doing GFOJ this year), and if you're game for it it might be interesting to compare notes. I've tackled Trafalgar+Ortegal and the Indian Ocean Campaign solo so far on research... lots of things I'm still trying to run down draughts and cluster into sculpts.

Full disclosure: I have an idea for a line of books I'm trying to get Ares to buy...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mostly managing with one ship and flipping, but am just starting to duplicate models to bulk up my fleets.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Doing the ship logs the past few hours, I became more aware of the subtle differences of some of the pairings. I didn't pay attention to them before. I still use the side I originally set. In the future, I will pay more attention.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I buy several of the same ship and make my own cards with new names.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

I bought two pairs of ships with broken mast from Keith; this not only means I do not have to flip on these ships but it also saved me around £38.00 (including postage) on UK prices. The repair of broken masts was so easy I wish now I had bought more. I think that if I can afford it I would try for duplicate ships as a matter of course.
    I'm currently throwing out heavy hints for Christmas pressies. I need four British 100 Gun S o L and one more French 74 to round out my Fleet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I Agree Reg.
    I bought what I could afford from Keith, and have found them such a boon, that I wish I had overextended my budget when I ordered. The pairings substantially extended the size of my squadron, and at the same time allowed me to depict ships with damage.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have two of some ship models, mostly ones I found at a reduced price, although I did buy two HMS Victory's and two USS Constitution's.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have found that with the folks for whom I run games, almost any ship could do. That has kept me from feeling the need for multiples of ships. What I would like is a broader array of ships regarding classes so as to create varying scenarios. I think with WoG I am more inclined to have the full variety of paint schemes, including repaints, because once the game starts, the color schemes of the planes are more pronounced than the ships due to the angle of looking at the game pieces on the table.

As an amateur collector, I would like to have one of each sculpt, but even here I have not bought each released paint yet.

As for military history, there are a few ships that I am keenly interested in, whereas with WoG, there are whole squadrons, etc., that I wouldn't mind having.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Two if not more of each 74, you can't have too many 74's. Others, I think there are enough for me to have 1 of each (ie the frigates and sloops).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am just annoyed that I did not understand the ideas behind the Kickstarter and thus missed out on those ships.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

In the end I have two of every official ship except the reprinted British frigate and the Victory and Constitution, luckily I did get the KS exclusives twice and now thinking of getting another USS Constitution after seeing DM's HMS President repaint at Doncaster

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have one of each shp plus a few duplicates, mostly frigates. I don't see SGN as a fleet action game so I regard hordes of 74s as rather pointless. Happy to flip cards as necessary.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Two if not more of each 74, you can't have too many 74's. Others, I think there are enough for me to have 1 of each (ie the frigates and sloops).
    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I have one of each shp plus a few duplicates, mostly frigates. I don't see SGN as a fleet action game so I regard hordes of 74s as rather pointless. Happy to flip cards as necessary.
    SGN or not, these are my ships to play any naval napoleonic battle with and due to that I have hoards (or a little over 30) of 74s.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

I tend to go for 2 ships for the different cards eg Thorn + Atlanta.