Thread: Water Bases for 1/1200 or 1/1000 Miniatures--WIP

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Water Bases for 1/1200 or 1/1000 Miniatures--WIP

While I hope the bulk of my "fleet" will eventually see battle on the gaming table I'm still planning on creating a diorama or two because I really like this scale (and space is at a premium), and I've totally gotten into the Age of Sail modeling in general. With that being said I took a stab at making a water base that's large enough to display two, three or maybe more ships simultaneously. The product I used to do the sculpt was old, so this is a very 'rough' sea, but the overall effect is OK. Having created a mold from the sculpt I can now cast more bases until the mold wears out. I've included a couple of ships for size comparison, but in an actual scene I'd probably 'lower' them into the waves. I'll also add that the paint job isn't the best I've done, but this was a first iteration to "test the waters" (groan). Cheers!

P.S. That's the Rayo in back and the Royal Sovereign in the foreground.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 19:08.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    P.S. That's the Rayo in back
    Ah -- the Irish contingent. :)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If I might offer a suggestion... I see no reason you couldn't use a diorama to display your ships when not gaming with them, or as part of an 'Anchored Fleet in Harbor' scenario like the Siege of Toulon or Aboukir Bay. It'd be fairly simple to just use the existing pins to hold the ships in place, and still let you remove them when reason arises...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    If I might offer a suggestion... I see no reason you couldn't use a diorama to display your ships when not gaming with them, or as part of an 'Anchored Fleet in Harbor' scenario like the Siege of Toulon or Aboukir Bay. It'd be fairly simple to just use the existing pins to hold the ships in place, and still let you remove them when reason arises...
    Great idea! Once I get one of the SoG ships in hand I can experiment! Thanks! (Your magnet idea to keep the ships from twisting on their bases was also excellent,. . . hmmm, also adaptable for the larger base?)

The waves look good. What product did you use Jim? I use common house spackle for my bases.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    The waves look good. What product did you use Jim? I use common house spackle for my bases.
    It's a two part (50/50) resin forming mixture that sets up in about 30 minutes. I'll get you the product name and links tomorrow. The stuff is pretty cool to watch as it forms up and hardens.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Didn't see any pictures but if like you avatar looks great.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Capt P View Post
    Didn't see any pictures but if like you avatar looks great.
    All my pictures were uploaded to this site. With the hacking last weekend those have all been lost, unless Keith is able to restore them. I can easily reload them once I get the word from him if he cannot.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Vol, the resin casting material is supplied by a company in Michigan. The company is Alumilite: http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cf...sting%20Resins
    I purchased a package for around $20.00, which will last a good amount of time based on how much I've used so far.

For making the molds I use Amazing Mold Putty, which you can pick up at Michael's (or any well stocked craft/hobby store). Same price as the resin; $20.00.
    Amazing Mold Putty: http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....%20Putty%20Kit

And for making the original item to be molded I used Procreate, which I picked up at the local hobby store (The Last Square, soon to be closed), but you can also order via Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Other-Manufact.../dp/B000WBP1BA