Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I received an email stating that if I did not receive an email with a tracking number, nothings has been shipped. I did not receive an email with a tracking number. Nothing has been shipped.

Tomorrow, I am heading home to Chicago, picking up a few buddies from my neighborhood, and scouring the city for Sails of Glory packages awaiting to be, shall we say, found. Jim, we prefer the term procure to hijack.
    Now Eric, as Captain's clerk, you know better then to tease the lads!!! And just to keep everyone straight on this, I did not participate in the KS as I didn't know about it until it was too late!!! So beware lads, any packages I run across in Illinois will be pirated by me!!! (Jim, you can pickup your ships at the next Scramble, just bring gold!!!)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    Now Eric, as Captain's clerk, you know better then to tease the lads!!! And just to keep everyone straight on this, I did not participate in the KS as I didn't know about it until it was too late!!! So beware lads, any packages I run across in Illinois will be pirated by me!!! (Jim, you can pickup your ships at the next Scramble, just bring gold!!!)
    Ah, so it's you that made the 'procurement', not Eric. Guess I'll start saving the gold now, it might take a while to get enough to satisfy the black flag?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    That'll work? Excellent!
    I have spent *many* years removing labels from packages -- patience is important. (Which means most of this lot is *screwed*. ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by kelsith View Post
    Can't say for sure on how it will do with this specific cardboard. But I will tell you that Star Wars collectors regularly use Goo Gone to remove price tags if done slowly and buffed out with a soft rag/paper towel you can remove any traces of stickers. In fact I have seen that done with vintage figures as well so even a 30 year old price tag can be removed and cleaned up easily. I doubt the ups label on these boxes will be any different.
    I would think the 30 year old price tag would make it more interesting. I know when price tags are left on vintage cars it's considered a bonus. I read an article this morning on an uncommon Buick GNX with 11 miles on it, the price tag still in the window and...the funny part....it has never been washed.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here's a quick update on the mat packaging clean up I just finished this morning. The UPS shipping labels were removed relatively easily and using very little Goo Gone I was able to clean up the box with no issues beyond some slight indentations I made myself in the cardboard while peeling away the labels. The packing tape removal was a tad more tricky as it wants to pull the laminate paper off the cardboard when you hit the triangle corners. Be vary careful there or you will pull the paper off. Pulling the tape at an angle to the edge worked well. There was no residue from this tape so Goo Gone wasn't necessary.

Bottom line for me was both boxes look no better or worse than if I'd picked them up at the local game store. It takes some extra time, but it's worth the effort.

Oh, and not to forget, the mats themselves are wonderful. Heavy duty, well made with a nice variation on deep sea blue coloring. I'm very happy with them and will no doubt be ordering a 4th at some point.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Here's a quick update on the mat packaging clean up I just finished this morning. The UPS shipping labels were removed relatively easily and using very little Goo Gone I was able to clean up the box with no issues beyond some slight indentations I made myself in the cardboard while peeling away the labels. The packing tape removal was a tad more tricky as it wants to pull the laminate paper off the cardboard when you hit the triangle corners. Be vary careful there or you will pull the paper off. Pulling the tape at an angle to the edge worked well. There was no residue from this tape so Goo Gone wasn't necessary.

Bottom line for me was both boxes look no better or worse than if I'd picked them up at the local game store. It takes some extra time, but it's worth the effort.

Oh, and not to forget, the mats themselves are wonderful. Heavy duty, well made with a nice variation on deep sea blue coloring. I'm very happy with them and will no doubt be ordering a 4th at some point.
    Thanks, that's great news and advice.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well, Ares has just confirmed on the KS SoG comments section that a German retailer and distributor has sold/provided copies to the general public. This is rather disappointing, but I rather expected it to happen. I guess now my major concern is they have enough product to fulfill all KS backers without running out? I certainly don't want to hear that SoG is 'out of print' before I get my ships.

From Ares:

Indeed, I confirm that Mr Mueller provided us with information about the shop he bought the ships from, in Germany. It looks like our German distributor did not took due consideration of the street date we provided, so a small amount of product apparently have been distributed to some German stores, in spite of our best intention to prevent this from happening. He may be a disappointed backer, but definitely not a troll.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sails of Glory was just mentioned on the Penny Arcade website. For those not familiar with Gabe and Tycho these are two gamers who have built up quite a following of PC, console and board gamers over the years. It was a very pleasant surprise to see this reference. And they even provide a link to the SoG Ares webpage, see the 3rd paragraph.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Cheers!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sails of Glory was just mentioned on the Penny Arcade website. For those not familiar with Gabe and Tycho these are two gamers who have built up quite a following of PC, console and board gamers over the years. It was a very pleasant surprise to see this reference. And they even provide a link to the SoG Ares webpage, see the 3rd paragraph.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Cheers!
    This gentleman 'Matt D' has also just posted a great review of sails of glory on board game geek.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1094...-of-glory-firs

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's some good publicity. Thanks for the link, Jim.

Goo Gone is good stuff - saved many a book from poorly placed stickers.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    This gentleman 'Matt D' has also just posted a great review of sails of glory on board game geek.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1094...-of-glory-firs
    Thanks for the link, Chris. That was a most enthusiastic, but honest, impression of the game. It really makes my very happy to see the positive feedback and commentary popping up here and there, now that the game is beginning to filter out into the population.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Splice the mainbrace! my captains package arrived 10 minutes ago, no customs charges either
    note to other UK backers my pack arrived by parcelforce not the regular mail round and they are working a normal day today ( I asked).

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpchoker View Post
    Splice the mainbrace! my captains package arrived 10 minutes ago, no customs charges either
    note to other UK backers my pack arrived by parcelforce not the regular mail round and they are working a normal day today ( I asked).
    Did you ever get a tracking number to say it had dispatched? I haven't, but it would be nice to think it could be on its way.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Yes I got a USPS tracking number.

Now deciding if I should repaint one of the frigates as the Trincomalee (see avatar)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Now deciding if I should repaint one of the frigates as the Trincomalee (see avatar)
    hang on until a bigger frigate model comes out :)

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Bugger, i guess mines not been dispatched yet, still i'm glad to know the postage doesn't seem to take too long. I'm Glad to see some of us in the UK are finally starting to receive our games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    hang on until a bigger frigate model comes out :)
    Agreed, one of the second wave larger frigates will suit the Trincomalee far better than the smaller current ones.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As posted in a different thread, I also received my Captains Pledge package this morning. Mat yesterday, ships today, also without any "extra" payment.

Ups says it reached the warehouse literally a mile up the road from me last night. And now there it will sit until at least Thursday. Sigh...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Ups says it reached the warehouse literally a mile up the road from me last night. And now there it will sit until at least Thursday. Sigh...
    That's a hard storm to weather mate.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

All I know is that I got mine last night! I have been so busy training at work that I have barely even gotten to look at them yet! I did see the scrollwork on the wooden Anchorage pieces and that looks beautiful!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Glad you like it Japheth. The artwork and design go to Ares though. I'll be working on more unique designs for the AA store.

So here's a question. I ordered Capt+LT+some smoke. Ups lists two shipments, 13 and 5 pounds. What's in each and is that my entire order--any guesses?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    As posted in a different thread, I also received my Captains Pledge package this morning. Mat yesterday, ships today, also without any "extra" payment.
    I'm very jealous. I know its not long to wait now, but can't wait until mine arrives too.

If you ever feel like setting up a game and are in need of extra players, let me know. It will be good to find a group of people playing this in the local area.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    So here's a question. I ordered Capt+LT+some smoke. Ups lists two shipments, 13 and 5 pounds. What's in each and is that my entire order--any guesses?
    I would say that is all of your stuff. The 5lbs one would be the mats if I was a betting man.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tony

I think maybe this thread should be changed to who will get theirs last. I have to admit living only 6 hours from the shipping location and people in Europe are getting their stuff ahead of me is a little ridiculous. I think the rush to get mats out could have better been served to get ships out. Of course, everyone who has gotten both probably doesn't want to hear me gripe about not having mine. In light of World peace and world hunger, living in a land of plenty I don't really have a complaint.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeblackbart View Post
    I think maybe this thread should be changed to who will get theirs last. I have to admit living only 6 hours from the shipping location and people in Europe are getting their stuff ahead of me is a little ridiculous. I think the rush to get mats out could have better been served to get ships out. Of course, everyone who has gotten both probably doesn't want to hear me gripe about not having mine. In light of World peace and world hunger, living in a land of plenty I don't really have a complaint.
    I know exactly how you're feeling having been there until only today. Did you have a basic Captain's pledge or did you buy any add on's beyond the Victory and/or Constitution? It does seem that anything that was prepackaged to go out the door faster is doing just that at the warehouse? I do hope everyone gets their stuff soon!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

My pledge was a Marine level with a bunch of random bits... Not expecting mine to be filled with any sense of priority. I'm patiently waiting for my local shop in Glendale, AZ to get the starter set, as they were an Admiral backer.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeblackbart View Post
    I know what you mean Ft Wayne is 4 and 1/2 hrs from here. Course I tell myself that if they are doing it somewhat in pledge order I pledged, then changed it, changed it again and then added on some other stuff at the zero hour. So I figure between being a late pledge plus late changes, plus being a shipment that they have to add stuff to I may be the final 1% (esp of US backers).

It will come when it comes though no reason to worry about it.
    (That said I still am checking UPS My Choice daily)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Name:  SM901.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  60.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I opened one of the two boxes just now. The materials inside are still really cold, so I suspect they sat in a truck for the last couple of days. I'll share one photo, primarily because I was so pleased with the packing and contents safety in transit. I've not taken any ships out of their respective boxes (like I said too cold and I don't want to snap anything), but from a quick visual scan I have only very slightly bent masts and it appears to be only on the foremast. Ships, cards, bags, accessories, etc., are all superlative! I'm very pleased and I hope you all get to share in the same pleasure sooner than later when your stuff arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I knew it would happen...before some of us have got our KS orders the first products have started appearing on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAILS-OF-GLO...item51b75ddf40

... I could gripe and moan but I have so many other games and books to get through I haven't got the time

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    I knew it would happen...before some of us have got our KS orders the first products have started appearing on ebay

... I could gripe and moan but I have so many other games and books to get through I haven't got the time
    I forgot where the US warehouse is but, the seller's location is Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I'll bet if I ordered one, it would get here before my KS.
    Last edited by Gunner; 01-03-2014 at 19:35.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tony

I know exactly how you're feeling having been there until only today. Did you have a basic Captain's pledge or did you buy any add on's beyond the Victory and/or Constitution? It does seem that anything that was prepackaged to go out the door faster is doing just that at the warehouse? I do hope everyone gets their stuff soon!
    I have a Captain level pledge with all the add on possible. I agree with what you say but there has been enough time to have prepped for everyone's add ons. I did get my shipping link today. I wished I had complained sooner. ;)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chimpchoker, Trincomalee's a Leda, which is an Anglicized version of the Hebe from Wave 2--original French lines and rough dimensions, but stronger British structures inside the outer hull surface.

It does seem odd that the ebay item shows a delivery date of Jan 8th to the 14th. and it ships from the same town as the warehouse for Ares.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    It does seem odd that the ebay item shows a delivery date of Jan 8th to the 14th. and it ships from the same town as the warehouse for Ares.
    I found the seller's location ironic.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I found the seller's location ironic.
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence Honestly, I'm sure

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence Honestly, I'm sure
    Why am I thinking of Monty Python's wink, wink, nudge, nudge right now?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Pehaps we should start a 'Who will recive their package last thread'.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Why am I thinking of Monty Python's wink, wink, nudge, nudge right now?
    Say no more ;)

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I'm in. Who else is still waiting? Maybe we should start a list, last man standing...

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Where I come from, there's a saying...

Once is coincidence, anything more is Enemy Action.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Well I think that is a thread for me.......

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I'm in. Who else is still waiting? Maybe we should start a list, last man standing...
    I'm in too! Still waiting as patiently as I can.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

I'm still waiting as well, I'd be surprised if I get my goodies next week. (WW Captain)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    I'm still waiting as well, I'd be surprised if I get my goodies next week. (WW Captain)
    Still waiting here in Oakland, CA as well. EB Commodore with lots of extras.

I suspect Richard is the most likely to get his shipment last, given the size of his order. But anyone in New Zealand or other far corners of the globe has to be in the running as well.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    Still waiting here in Oakland, CA as well. EB Commodore with lots of extras.

I suspect Richard is the most likely to get his shipment last, given the size of his order. But anyone in New Zealand or other far corners of the globe has to be in the running as well.
    It will be interesting, at least in an Ares business choices case study kind of way, to see when mine does arrive.

As close as I can remember, my pledge total including extras and add ons was $3,150.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    I'm in too! Still waiting as patiently as I can.
    Does it look like your area will be hit by the storm rolling in this evening?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    It will be interesting, at least in an Ares business choices case study kind of way, to see when mine does arrive.

As close as I can remember, my pledge total including extras and add ons was $3,150.
    First, I must not have had my coffee today - Meant to say Bruce (or at least RichardPF) when mentioning you. Sorry about that.

Second, I agree that it will be interesting. On the one hand, given the information available to Ares, I would think (to the extent they have ANY control over this, which I doubt), it makes sense to put your order to the end of the queue. As a non-retailer who is so heavily invested in the game, it's unlikely you will "walk away" under any circumstances. So to the extent that your order is more difficult to fill, it seems like a natural choice to push it to the end.

To argue against myself, though, there's an argument to be made that yours should have been among the first - it's so large (relatively speaking) that filling it would have freed up some space in the warehouse. Why not push it out the door?