Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Cool WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Might as well start placing bets and jockeying for position. Who will be the first member to receive their box of goodies first? Any guesses?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Not sure whom, but I hope it is Keith. Without him, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Not sure whom, but I hope it is Keith. Without him, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    My guess is that it will be someone in or near the shipping facility in Indiana. Possibly someone who is at the Commodore level.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Me.

lol, just kidding guys.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    My guess is that it will be someone in or near the shipping facility in Indiana. Possibly someone who is at the Commodore level.
    Actually, that would include me.

We should set a time when we all open our packages together, but something tells me, the temptation to open would be too great.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

We should set a time when we all open our packages together, but something tells me, the temptation to open would be too great.
    It's every person for themselves on this one Eric.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

According to Google, the distance to you is about 282 miles; the distance to me is about 1,822 miles.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

According to Google, the distance to you is about 282 miles; the distance to me is about 1,822 miles.
    And the way the postal system works, you'll get yours 9 days before him. lol

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I have a feeling mine might actually take a bit longer to get to me.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Miles mean nothing to a mail-carrier...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    ...size of the package does. Bruce you'd better start being real nice to you Postie prior to your package arriving. I seem to recall a BIG order requiring BIG boxes.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Miles mean nothing to a mail-carrier...

...size of the package does. Bruce you'd better start being real nice to you Postie prior to your package arriving. I seem to recall a BIG order requiring BIG boxes.
    Probably just a LOT of boxes.
    And I seem to recall UPS having a limit on how many boxes they would deliver to one address in one day.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Where in Indiana is the shipping center? We go to Indy often. There is a Belgian restaurant we want to try there. It would be nice if the facility were near there and if we were able to pick up the game, but I doubt that is a possibility. Still, there is the Belgian restaurant.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Where in Indiana is the shipping center? We go to Indy often. There is a Belgian restaurant we want to try there. It would be nice if the facility were near there and if we were able to pick up the game, but I doubt that is a possibility. Still, there is the Belgian restaurant.
    The warehouse is in Ft Wayne Indiana which is in the northeast corner of the state.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The warehouse is in Ft Wayne Indiana which is in the northeast corner of the state.
    Which is reason enough to seek out the Belgian restaurant Eric.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Mine will most likely turn up during Thanksgiving week -- when I am down in California for the Turkey Night Grand Prix....

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

I did not must have it at first, but I hope I will have it at christmas

It will be interesting to see the timestamp from the first person to post receiving their package, and what they received.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I think that mine will arrive just before Christmas.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Of course, if we get enough data points I will want to create some analytics.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Of course, if we get enough data points I will want to create some analytics.
    That would be interesting to follow as it unfolds.

I figure anyone living near Ft Wayne will be eager enough to drive over there and get theirs before us.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

We're all out of luck. Once the shipment hits Canadian waters outside of B.C. later this week ol' Kirby DeWolfe will snatch up the cargo for routine inspection.

Mine arrived a week ago just didn't want to make you all feel bad

just kidding, being in Australia I'll probably get mine last!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

I think for the US guys those of you who have no additional content to the pre-packaged things will get theirs first (apart from Keith). At least I would start with those, as this is the most easy way to get some space back and the majority of customers satisfied in a short period of time.

I, being in Germany, will probably be one of the last, as I'm pretty sure our local customs office will hold back my parcel and force me to pay quite some sum for clearance.

it will be nice if they are able to provide tracking numbers. It's comforting to know for sure it's en route, have a target date, and be able to watch the shipment as it crawls across the country...

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Mine arrived a week ago just didn't want to make you all feel bad

just kidding, being in Australia I'll probably get mine last!
    But it won't actually take as long since you are a day ahead of most of us.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Yes. To live in the future... What are the winning Lotto numbers for the USA?

Ha, Ha, Ha. That was good.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    We're all out of luck. Once the shipment hits Canadian waters outside of B.C. later this week ol' Kirby DeWolfe will snatch up the cargo for routine inspection.
    Hrm, we do have a frigate exercising outside the harbour here. We practice embargo ops all the time, a couple keystrokes here, an email there... not that I've ever doctored a message (or three) during my career.

It is frustrating that my order will pass within visual range of where I walk my dogs.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby DeWolfe View Post
    Hrm, we do have a frigate exercising outside the harbour here. We practice embargo ops all the time, a couple keystrokes here, an email there... not that I've ever doctored a message (or three) during my career.

It is frustrating that my order will pass within visual range of where I walk my dogs.
    Figured you'd get a chuckle out of that line. It's good to know there are shipmates nearby unfortunately on the same long slow boat.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I, being in Germany, will probably be one of the last, as I'm pretty sure our local customs office will hold back my parcel and force me to pay quite some sum for clearance.
    I'm still a bit confused on this. If I sent you a package, would the same procedure be in place? Is this only for things sent from businesses?

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

Don't know about Europe/Germany but here any package over 75$ worth (including shipping...) will be subject to VAT and Customs.
    Sometimes they just look at the "Customs declaration" and calculate by that, sometimes they do actual inspection.
    If they stop a package for inspection - you pay extra - for the right to be inspected - much fun...

Many items are actually exempt from customs (up till 800$) but VAT 2 18% percent is always there

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

If the value of the item exceeds 22€ you have to pay VAT (currently 19% in Germany), if it also exceeds a value of 150€ you would have to pay customs charges as well. This is independent of the way it get's across the border (sent by a company, sent by a friend or bought in the US while on travel).

Had to pay VAT when I ordered a cycling jersey for my pregnant wife (a product miraculously absent from the European market).

But as far as I saw on the webpage of the german customs police, there are nor customs charges on toys (if SoG is considered a toy and not tactical educational material ).

I remember someone mentioning, that due to us taking part in a Kickstarter the value of the package will be the actual production costs and not the retail value. Haven't seen any comment on that since and to be honest I do see some difficulties in persuading the local customs officer.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I hope we don't start such taxing here, though given our current penchant to tax everything to generate governmental "revenue", I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope things work out well for you, and that SoG is recognized as a toy.

I hope we don't start such taxing here, though given our current penchant to tax everything to generate governmental "revenue", I wouldn't be surprised.
    Yes especially for me in sales tax free Delaware! Having said that for anyone worried about high taxes the best therapy is to look towards the taxes paid by our European shipmates!

Eric

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Remember...pics or it didn't happen.
    Anyone who thinks they got theirs first better back it up with an image in the post.

That being said, if we got a tracking number (doubtful) then I think I could accurately predict when I would be feeling sick or arrange a work-from-home day.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

But as far as I saw on the webpage of the german customs police, there are nor customs charges on toys (if SoG is considered a toy and not tactical educational material ).
    That is very good to know for my AA orders going to Germany. I can quite easily declare them as toys. May not help with the VAT, but could at least save you guys any possible customs fees.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

If the value of the item exceeds 22€ you have to pay VAT (currently 19% in Germany), if it also exceeds a value of 150€ you would have to pay customs charges as well. This is independent of the way it get's across the border (sent by a company, sent by a friend or bought in the US while on travel).

Had to pay VAT when I ordered a cycling jersey for my pregnant wife (a product miraculously absent from the European market).

I remember someone mentioning, that due to us taking part in a Kickstarter the value of the package will be the actual production costs and not the retail value. Haven't seen any comment on that since and to be honest I do see some difficulties in persuading the local customs officer.
    So are board games in general classified as toys?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is correct. I hope Ares remember this when they are posting out and filling in the customs declarations. Also it should be based on the value of the game and ships, and not of any items added as "freebies". I wonder what the actual production costs are?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    That is correct. I hope Ares remember this when they are posting out and filling in the customs declarations. Also it should be based on the value of the game and ships, and not of any items added as "freebies". I wonder what the actual production costs are?
    I'm inquiring about this for you guys.

Maybe one of the European members will start a post showing any additional charges they paid and what they received.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Yes especially for me in sales tax free Delaware!
    I suspect if what 7eat51 said comes to pass, Oregon and Delaware are going to see spikes in business the like of which even gods have never seen.... :P

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

This is why in sales-tax-happy WA I do as much of my purchasing as possible by mail-order through companies not slurping the "Internet Sales Tax" Kool-Aid. Brick and mortar, I have to pay an extra ten percent on top of MSRP... oh well, at least we don't have a state income tax, YET. Give that carpetbagging POS Komrade Chairman Inslee time, though...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Had a momentary false alarm. Got home and saw a big box and a book-size package. I had recently ordered some books online so the smaller package was expected. Since no one else in the house has purchased anything the big box with 2-day shipping made my heart leap. Then I saw our address and my neighbors name and realized we were Santa's secret post-office.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This is why in sales-tax-happy WA I do as much of my purchasing as possible by mail-order through companies not slurping the "Internet Sales Tax" Kool-Aid. Brick and mortar, I have to pay an extra ten percent on top of MSRP... oh well, at least we don't have a state income tax, YET. Give that carpetbagging POS Komrade Chairman Inslee time, though...
    Texas: 6.25% sales tax, no state income tax, not participating in the not so-Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) at the state level.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Texas: 6.25% sales tax, no state income tax, not participating in the not so-Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) at the state level.
    There are several of us in Illinois who wouldn't mind moving to Texas. It seems each year we have less reason to stay here.

I hope this board isn't going to devolve into a political peanut gallery. Plenty of other places to vent in that regard folks...

Fred
    Yes no politics here..so....here's peanut and the vent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g6sl4kwT9g

I had a false alarm too. I came home to a big box sitting on the living room floor. Turns out it's a birthday present for me that arrived in the mail. Now it's driving me crazy wondering what she could have got me that would be in that big of a box.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I had a false alarm too. I came home to a big box sitting on the living room floor. Turns out it's a birthday present for me that arrived in the mail. Now it's driving me crazy wondering what she could have got me that would be in that big of a box.
    Sails of Glory.