Thread: New Career (not Naval in nature)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Red face New Career (not Naval in nature)

Hey guys, this is a purely personal post, but I have good news I wanted to share and I consider you part of my social group (especially those from the Aerodrome as well).

I got my selection letter today so I am so excited. I will be starting my new career with the Department of Veterans Affairs! I have always had a calling to public service, which is why I enlisted long ago (actually 12 years ago today exactly, how's that for irony). After getting out, I plied my trade in the private sector with moderate success, but I didn't get the same feeling of well-being that I did when serving. With that in mind, I started taking steps to go into the civilian side of service in a more administrative capacity and (after some long years), I have finally done it!

Now, as an employee of the VA, I will be in a position to help Disabled Vets like me. I am not medical, but professional/technical so my help will not be seen by them directly but I will be working behind the scenes to ensure that they get the maximum medical benefit that they earned through their service. President Lincoln stated that motivation we civilians have towards our soldiers in this line from his second inaugural address, which the VA has used as their motto, "to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan."

I am proud to now be a part of helping those who once wore a uniform, sometimes torn and bloody, always impossibly heavy and to once again help those same people with whom I served as we now live in the country we swore to defend, having passed on the mantle of that dangerous business to the next generation of heroes.

Have a good weekend, everyone. Cheers!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congratulations on your new career! All the best in your work with the VA and our vets!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Congratulations and best wishes for success in your new post, Japheth.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good luck, amigo!

Seems like an interesting job, Japheth.

I hope you can realize your ideas.

It's a wonderful thing to work in a field you will get so much satisfaction in. Good luck and well done

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Congratulations, Japheth. I hope you will find it as rewarding as those who will benefit from your efforts.

In the early 90s, I served as a VA counselor at a community college, helping vets with their military-based financial aid. It was great serving fellow brothers- and sisters-in-arms in fulfilling their educational goals.

I agree with your feelings about wellbeing from serving. I think that is one of my fondest memories of my military service, having been a part of something significantly larger than myself. The uniform was a constant reminder it was not simply a job.

Here's wishing you success.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Congratulations Japheth. Your work will be appreciated by all who benefit from Freedom. Thank you for choosing a career that helps those men and women who deserve more than they are currently receiving.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Congratulations!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    In the early 90s, I served as a VA counselor at a community college, helping vets with their military-based financial aid. It was great serving fellow brothers- and sisters-in-arms in fulfilling their educational goals.
    Ah, then it was someone like you that helped me navigate through to upgrade my Assoc. to a B.S. and get that extra qualification for my resume. College a couple of years ago was so different from the late 90's that I was completely lost and having to figure out the Post 9/11 GI. bill wasn't easy either (since it was still the Montgomery GI bill when I enlisted).

Thanks to you and others that help navigate that quagmire.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishing. Now, if I can just get my hands on some sweet Ares minis, everything will be peachy. :)

Congrats and good luck. The VA needs all the help it can get to clear out the backlog and get benefits out to our returning vets. I have worked with a veterans legal clinic in the past and hope to continue pro bono work for vets unable to afford legal assistance.

Eric

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post
    Ah, then it was someone like you that helped me navigate through to upgrade my Assoc. to a B.S. and get that extra qualification for my resume. College a couple of years ago was so different from the late 90's that I was completely lost and having to figure out the Post 9/11 GI. bill wasn't easy either (since it was still the Montgomery GI bill when I enlisted).
    Illinois did a pretty poor job informing vets of their educational benefits. I did not even know of the Illinois Veteran's Grant until the last minute. Such info could really make a difference in how folks setup their residence while in the service, as well as school choices upon separation. I thought then, and still do, that vets deserve better treatment.

Your work really matters, Japheth.