Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Interesting, i vaguely remember a discussion about that here some time ago. How did the french rig there mizzen masts?
    Chris, if you don't have the Langton book for the step by step guide to mizzen mast rigging for non British ships you should check out Rory's guide that's currently up on Vol's blog:

http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...-guide-to.html

The ship he rigged is a Russian one and he does mention that British mizzen rigging is different. By the way if you ever rig an American ship you'll want to rig that like a British one. Back when I was working on the USS Constitution I asked Rod Langton about US ships, being rigged like British or the rest of the world. He told me that US ships are rigged like the British.

Curiously enough someone on TMP just rigged a French ship exactly as you did (Le Formidable): http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=350152

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    The rest of my Wave 1 ratlines showed up while I was gone. I've not had a chance to open them and check that all is okay yet. Hopefully today.

I'll start designing Wave 2 ratlines some time this month. I've just been to busy dealing with things since the actual ships showed up. I'm not sure if I'll stick with brass or switch to SS for Wave 2, but I'm thinking a ever so slightly thicker metal could be used with out ruining the great looks of these lines. That would make them a little easier to work with I think.
    Keith, you're probably still trying to catch up and/or recover from Origins, but will the rest of the ratline stock go up on the Anchorage store soon? Or, did you sell out again? Thanks much!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Interesting, i vaguely remember a discussion about that here some time ago. How did the french rig there mizzen masts?
    Hi Chris,
    Only the Brits Royal Navy and I have heard the U.S. Navy too. Rig this way. All the rest and Merchant Fleets rig as so:- The bottom 2 arms go to the Main mast fighting tops. the top arm goes to the next top up. Hope this helps. See Rod Langton's book on rigging
    Be safe
    Rory

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Keith, you're probably still trying to catch up and/or recover from Origins, but will the rest of the ratline stock go up on the Anchorage store soon? Or, did you sell out again? Thanks much!
    Still behind schedule. Look for them mid to late next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have just tried attaching the ratlines to my first ship. It takes a lot of patience, as these are super delicate, but they do look good when on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10254
    Nice model Chris, I have yet to try this on my models, but looking at yours it is the way to go

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Ratlines stocks have been updated on the site. There are plenty of the frigate lines left, but all of the 74s are sold out except for in full Wave 1 sets.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well, I've wanted to try this since the Wave 2 ships and the AA brass ratlines arrived. I was hopeful that the Wave 1 ratlines might work on the Wave 2 ships and in the case of the SGN102 ratlines they work almost perfectly with the French 1st Rates. Very little trimming needed. The only "iffy" area was the lower mizzenmast ratlines and they still look OK to me. Enjoy!

Name:  AusterlitzRL1.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  96.3 KBName:  AusterlitzRL2.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  87.3 KBName:  AusterlitzRL3.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  112.8 KBName:  AusterlitzRL4.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  134.9 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

It looks pretty ace to me! I want!

Is that stock paint or have you modified it? I have not seen any of the 1st rates yet.

If it is stock paint then they did a great job on the sails...far better than wave 1.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
    It looks pretty ace to me! I want!
    Thank you!

Is that stock paint or have you modified it? I have not seen any of the 1st rates yet.
    Everything is repainted and in this case it's the Orient repainted as the Austerlitz, but with 'home water' masts.

If it is stock paint then they did a great job on the sails...far better than wave 1.
    Sails and deck are 'Bonewhite' (brown ink wash), the hull is black and a blend of purple/brown paints I have on hand and the stern is a bronze/gold paint pen I just discovered at Michael's. The AA ratlines really make the ships stand out. Amazing!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

well it looks great, nice job!

Amazing work!

Excuse the pun but, a 1st rate job Jim.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Hello,

any news about the ratlines for the wave 2 ships?

Btw, what do you think about brass sails and metal masts for the sgn ships.
    Julián from "Model J" use atm langton brass sails and metal masts for the conversions but he must use the parts from a greater class to mach the size.

But it would be much easier with the items fitting for their size and atm he can't convert the 1st rate ships because their are no parts which have the size, and the ships would look much better with this sails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arakus; 08-05-2014 at 11:17.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

According to the banner up on the Aerodrome, Keith is about to leave for a vacation/business trip that's going to last about one month. So, unless he's already sent something on I don't expect we'll see any new brass (or stainless steel) ratlines for some time?

As for the custom sails and masts for any SoG ships I don't think there's enough of a market to make this kind of production viable? I could be wrong, but I think the major appeal and selling point of the game is the pre-painted/out of the box play advantage. Custom work and modding is probably a very small number of 'gamers', but that's just me speculating.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Jim is spot on with both accounts. Ratlines for Wave 2 ships in still in the distant future.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

How distant a future is now?

I really would like at least a dozen ratline sets for 74:s and half a dozen more for 1st rates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another very useful article Jim, and I will give you more rep once I have spread some around.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can see that this is an area into which I must venture Keith.
    Rob.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

They are getting closer. Still a few months out though.

Has the stainless steel vs brass question been settled yet?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Has the stainless steel vs brass question been settled yet?
    I think Keith was leaning towards the stainless steel as more durable for application, but he may not have reached a final decision which would be dependent on the cost? Brass works fine, but it is much more sensitive to damage. If given a choice I'd go with stainless steel as it would be easier to handle and add a bit more support for the plastic masts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am inclined to agree with the stainless option as long as we can cut it off the sprue easily.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am inclined to agree with the stainless option as long as we can cut it off the sprue easily.
    Rob.
    Good point. I think Keith mentioned that stainless might not be as pliable for working with. Cutting off the sprue might be an issue.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Side cutting pliers will do the job, but I'm not sure how long they will last.
    We have to remember that Stainless steel is actually failed armour plate. I have seen it burn out High speed steel drills.
    Rob.

My preference is stainless. Thin brass damages too easily, at least with my ten thumbs.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My preference is stainless. Thin brass damages too easily, at least with my ten thumbs.
    Another one with that problem, huh? LOL )

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

How much would adding ratlines and rigging strengthen the masts on Wave 2 ships?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nylon sewing thread superglued does add some strength to the ships. I have done so and it feels more stable when carefully pushing the masts. I have also dropped a rigged ship from waist high without damage. Not sure if that was thanks to the rigging though.

It was the Royal George, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    How much would adding ratlines and rigging strengthen the masts on Wave 2 ships?
    I don't think the thin brass helps strength at all. But stainless steel might.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Nylon sewing thread superglued does add some strength to the ships. I have done so and it feels more stable when carefully pushing the masts. I have also dropped a rigged ship from waist high without damage. Not sure if that was thanks to the rigging though.

It was the Royal George, by the way.
    In my experience in dropping ships, (which is extensive) if it lands on or near the base chances are it's OK. Drop it on or near the foremast or mizzen, you'll have a problem.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm sure that any form of extra support enhances the chances of less damage, but stainless is by far the best simply because it is more rigid.
    Remember though that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so your glue line is the most vulnerable part of any reinforcement.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That's why i knot the thread before superglueing it.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    Its not the strength of the material but the stopping of movement. As long as the material does not stretch. Cotton will stretch. As in life this is what makes them stay up-right. O.K. dropping them will not help. It is the opposite action of the pair that makes it all work. A rigged ship no matter how badly is always better than a ship with no rigging, in looks and strength.
    Be safe
    Rory

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am looking to make Ratline for my ships, currently using some black netting, once done
    I'll post a pic to show, not sure if it will work but we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I am looking to make Ratline for my ships, currently using some black netting, once done
    I'll post a pic to show, not sure if it will work but we will see
    Is that the netting that was sold by Langton?

They are getting closer. Still a few months out though.
    Is there any word on ratlines for SGN106 & 108? You would be the only one producing them for 1st rate 1/1000 ships.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

It's a project that I've been working on... it just keeps getting pushed to the back burner for other things and life in general :(

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Actually, if someone has a digital caliper, PowerPoint and some time on their hands... I'd be willing to work with them to get these done much faster.

Wish I could help. I hope there's someone on this or the WOG site that could.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

This is holding me up as well, I don't even care to match up the ratlines exactly, I'd just be happy with some more of the 74 size in general.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'll get them moved back towards the top of the list mates.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Name:  ratlines.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  616.1 KBI'll take one of each, too. Rory is right, the ratlines shouldn't come to a sharp point. They should be flattened at the tip maybe just the width of the mast itself. It will make it a lot easier to glue for us old salts. It will also make each ratline more distinct from the others.
    Last edited by Kentop; 12-05-2015 at 10:10.

I'll get them moved back towards the top of the list mates.
    Much appreciated. Crews are complaining about making them shimmy up the masts to change sail settings.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Keith, that would be great. Will you stick with the brass or might you move to stainless steel? As we discussed some time back brass is much more fiddly while stainless steel will be less prone to damage while painting and applying to the ships. Thanks.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stainless for me if you're still deciding

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG] . It will make it a lot easier to glue for us old salts.
    I'll second that

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I looked at going to stainless, but we'd have to give up a lot of the detail that we get with the brass. They would basically have about half the number of ratlines as the brass. Not sure I want to give up the great detail we have now.

Is it possible to go with brass a bit thicker than the last lot?

I also like Rory's & Ken's suggestion about the upper tip of the ratlines being flat instead of pointed.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Is it possible to go with brass a bit thicker than the last lot?

I also like Rory's & Ken's suggestion about the upper tip of the ratlines being flat instead of pointed.
    The brass I used was .1mm. The next step up is .15mm and that would require the ratline line thickness to be over 50% thicker... again, losing about half the number of ratlines on each part. Bottom line, if we want a thicker material, we have to settle for cruder looking ratlines :(

Blunting the points is something I think can be done though.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

I'm happy with the current brass myself, but will take stainless if they are made. I'm good for 5 ships worth as I have a French 74 done and waiting on ratlines in Toulon, the Royal George sitting in Plymouth and the USS United States enviously watching her sister sail around from Philadelphia, plus a few more two deckers yet to be laid down for want of timber