Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'll be airbrushing mine with Vallajo black primer and then sealing it... if I ever get the time to do any :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    It seems to me that unless you are going to play with a select group of friends, you would be better off leaving ratlines and rigging off. Or keep two sets of ships...one fully rigged for that select group and one without rigging for those random groups at the local game store and cons. It is inevitable that a ham fisted klutz will crush your ratlines or an inattentive kid will bounce a model off the floor. After putting in so much care and effort to create a beautiful model, is it worth the risk?

With great risk comes great rewards... or at least that's what people say! I've got several Wings planes that I've rigged and let people use at multiple cons and no one has mucked them up yet. The way I see it, people have been rigging and ratting their ships for naval wargames for longer than I've been playing games. They seem to think it's okay.

You also have to remeber that the ratlines fit within the foot print of the hull and sails, so the ship sort of protects them as well.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

I am going to try the black Krylon spray primer first. A careful lightly sprayed coat of course! I'll let you know how it turns out.....

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi all,
    Try blowing on the rat-line as you paint. Brush or spray. This will push the excess paint thorough the holes and off the rat-lines. You can wipe the back of the rat-lines with a dry cloth. Done and un-done side. Hope this helps. I have found that once on the ship they are very strong. Like rope on the real thing. I have handled my rigged ships myself and let other people do so too, with no damage.
    Be safe
    Rory

Name:  P1050939.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  146.6 KB
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 06-02-2014 at 14:24.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

OT: Rory, that's Russian Warships In The Age of Sail in the background, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    dont forget to clean the brass before spraying it with some dishwashing soap to take off greasy residu
    This is a must. Swish it with a few drops of dishwashing soap in a cereal bowl full of water, dry and spray paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Yup, that's the book.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Still haven't received my ratlines? Would be nice if someone took some photos (before and after the film is removed, etc.). Thanks.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Yup, that's the book.
    As Ed said, Yup!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Very interesting discussion. I must admit, I had assumed that priming/sealing/spray painting would produce too heavy a coating for the very delicate ratlines. I will be very interested to hear the results...and of any attempts to use a more judicious application of Blacken It. I have resolved to use a few frets to try different approaches, hoping that Keith will restock soon for any replacement orders. I hope to find that the brass is stronger than my first over-blackened chemical treatment would suggest. There is no question that these are the most beautiful and authentic shrouds/ratlines ever produced commercially.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

I just found this article:
    http://shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.o...ckeningnew.pdf

Seems to address the issue with quite a bit of information.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by kippryon View Post
    I just found this article:
    http://shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.o...ckeningnew.pdf

Seems to address the issue with quite a bit of information.
    Hi All,
    I have saved this great article for modelling ships and for armour. To age metal and colour metal parts this is so good an article. I to think what I have seen Keith's rat-lines look great. I would say better than Langton's. The rat-lines are made of tarred rope not weathered metal. They look so fine that to play with the surface of the rat-lines may make them lose strength. Once they are panted (Brush or Spray) that will add strength to the rat-lines. As said before blow on them as they dry to clear the gaps. Putting them onto the ships is the only time that you can damage the paint-work. So work slowly and carefully with them. Once in place each rat-line will made its opposite rat-line stronger. As in real life the rigging works as one, each helping the next to do its job and tighten the whole up. That is why shooting at rigging was done. Shoot away one part the rest cannot work fully. So By doing the standing rigging and rat-lines will add to the strength of the whole model ship. THEY ARE NOT GLASS.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 06-03-2014 at 13:59.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

I agree with you Rory , but it is sure a great article I really liked the look of the brass guns after the treatment

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I agree with you Rory , but it is sure a great article I really liked the look of the brass guns after the treatment
    Yes! Thijs,
    I'm not going to cut off the guns on 1-1200 or 1-1000 scale ships to re-place them with brass ones. Maybe on Chris's 1-300 scale Victory or bigger.
    I know of no anther model wargaming figures that hold such a high scare factor as sailing ships of this scale Just try to make or make-over one. Lots of shipmates here to help you.
    Be safe
    Rory (I'm no god!)

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Yes! Thijs,
    I'm not going to cut off the guns on 1-1200 or 1-1000 scale ships to re-place them with brass ones. Maybe on Chris's 1-300 scale Victory or bigger.
    I know of no anther model wargaming figures that hold such a high scare factor as sailing ships of this scale Just try to make or make-over one. Lots of shipmates here to help you.
    Be safe
    Rory (I'm no god!)
    Don't tempt Clipper!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Anchorage brass ratlines arrived today. They are amazing!! Initially I thought they might be useable on some of the Wave 2 ships, but the detail work is so fine I don't think that you could substitute without some noticeable errors showing in appearance? They will be a challenge, but if done right will make these ships shine.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

My second attempt to work with these ratlines was much more successful. I gently "painted" the fret with the neat Blacken It solution in a ceramic saucer. Within about two minutes I then immersed the blackened fret in distilled water and let it soak for a few minutes. I repeated this a second time with another immersion in fresh distilled water. I blotted the fret dry with paper towel. The result was an intact fret, nicely darkened, without damage to the delicate shrouds and ratlines. These were then cut one by one and glued with super glue to the Ares ship. The pieces did not fall off the fret or damage with light handling and seem to be standing up nicely in their correct place. I still used thin tweezers at the apex of the shrouds to handle and place each piece. I am much more comfortable now working with these excellent brass ratlines. I think my third attempt will show even more improvement. Obviously it is important to get the placement of each piece right on the first try.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for the link, Kipp. Article is saved.

As soon as the store is stocked again, an order will be placed.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Show us some pics of the complete ratline set on a ship Michael;
    Glad the second set went better

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yes, show us some photos if/when you get a chance, Michael. I'm glad to hear your second attempt went more smoothly. They should be awesome when all in place!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

Did I just ruined my frickin lines? Four sets I sprayed with black primer..... never occurred to me to read up painting THESE first. I am pissed

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Don't know, did the spaces between the lines fill up with primer?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

Yep

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

I will post some pictures after a few more tries! I think I have the Blacken-It issue solved. Now I have to learn to be more careful with the superglue.

1. Glue the top of ratline under the top first
    2. Don't bend or force anything into place
    3. Use only a little superglue to attach the shrouds
    4. The lower mast shrouds are a little easier to fix to the chains. The upper shrouds are very delicate and the four shroud lines almost need to be glued individually to the top

I have accepted that there will be many casualties and that practice alone will help you get it right eventually. I don't think spray painting is the answer, nor necessary if your are careful with the Blacken It. I am also convinced the final results will be very worthwhile.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Ouch. Maybe soaking them in fingernail polish remover would clear those areas up since there is nothing for the paint to adhere to there?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis41 View Post
    I will post some pictures after a few more tries! I think I have the Blacken-It issue solved. Now I have to learn to be more careful with the superglue.

1. Glue the top of ratline under the top first
    2. Don't bend or force anything into place
    3. Use only a little superglue to attach the shrouds
    4. The lower mast shrouds are a little easier to fix to the chains. The upper shrouds are very delicate and the four shroud lines almost need to be glued individually to the top

I have accepted that there will be many casualties and that practice alone will help you get it right eventually. I don't think spray painting is the answer, nor necessary if your are careful with the Blacken It. I am also convinced the final results will be very worthwhile.

Can't wait to see them!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm anxious to see how Michael's ratlines turned out. I can't see myself using Blacken It, but it sounds like he's gotten good results.

I've not ruined any of my ratlines yet, but I'm going to avoid spraying paint or using an airbrush. I think if you have a good airbrush you'll get good results, but the one I have is not meant for small detail work. What I'm trying right now is using a very soft brush and black India Ink. It seems to be holding although it's a bit shiny. I'll try using a very thinned out matt finish next to reduce the gloss and provide protection.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

IS there any way to save my ratline (covered in primer)? :(

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by VonTed View Post
    IS there any way to save my ratline (covered in primer)? :(
    Keith suggested soaking them in fingernail polish remover (acetone). Was the primer you used acrylic or oil based? I'd be very careful in whatever product you might use as it may just dissolve the brass?

I also found this article which may or may not work, but I'd never heard of this idea before? Kind of cool concept, being a non toxic way to get the job done. Again I don't know if our ratlines are too delicate for this to work?

http://lifehacker.com/5897802/remove...oker-and-water

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

When trying to find an answer for VonTed I found this really nice tutorial on photoetched brass modeling. I got some very good tips here, which I'll keep in mind when working on these ratlines and other brass detail parts.

http://titanic-model.com/articles/ph...s_tutorial.pdf

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the link to the pdf, Jim. I am starting to build a nice collection of modeling helps.

Well I had to try spray painting Keith's ratlines.
    Peeled the plastic coatings. Swished in warm water with some Palmolive dish soap. Rinsed and dried. A few thin coats of flat brown Rust-Oleum protective enamel that I bought from Ace Hardware, waited an hour, then a few more thin coats.
    It went on so thin that it looks like brown brass, and looks so good that I'm afraid to dull coat it. Thanks Keith.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

Peeled the plastic coatings. Swished in warm water with some Palmolive dish soap. Rinsed and dried. A few thin coats of flat brown Rust-Oleum protective enamel that I bought from Ace Hardware, waited an hour, then a few more thin coats.
    It went on so thin that it looks like brown brass, and looks so good that I'm afraid to dull coat it. Thanks Keith.

So I spent the afternoon (and evening) fretting about ruining them. Been soaking in simple green, old toothbrush, paint brushes, finger nails trying to see if the primer will come off. It was starting to.... decide to come back and check in. Then I find the above post..... WHAT THE #$(&. "Peeled the plastic coatings".

PLASTIC COATING? Lol. Mother of god I am an idiot.

I will be quiet now - go sit in the corner. Nothing to see here - move along.
    Name:  jiFfM.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  66.6 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

T, now that is funny.

Glad all will work out well for you.

Well played.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

T that has to be the best of all possible outcomes. Congrats!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Grats, Ed. When are we going to see some photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Grats, Ed. When are we going to see some photos?
    As soon as I can find the right shade of GREEN for my Russian sol.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks for the link to the pdf, Jim. I am starting to build a nice collection of modeling helps.
    Eric
    Could we have a folder to organise all these hints to make it easier for newbies...or even oldies

Jim
    Great article on handling the photo etched parts. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but am learning all the do's and don'ts from others. I don't have an airbrush so that might be an issue, but would immersion in diluted black ink work?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by VonTed View Post
    So I spent the afternoon (and evening) fretting about ruining them. Been soaking in simple green, old toothbrush, paint brushes, finger nails trying to see if the primer will come off. It was starting to.... decide to come back and check in. Then I find the above post..... WHAT THE #$(&. "Peeled the plastic coatings".

PLASTIC COATING? Lol.
    I wonder how many times throughout history man has been saved by his own stupidity? LOL Not at all call you stupid Ted, I've done many similar things in my life. I just find it funny and kind of classic. lol I"m glad everything worked out for you in the end and I look forward to seeing the "ships that almost never were".

Nice. I am going to try the Rust-Oleum flat black this weekend. I think I'll have a can of compressed air standing by in case I spray too heavily!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Good one! I'll be waiting.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Jim
    Great article on handling the photo etched parts. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but am learning all the do's and don'ts from others. I don't have an airbrush so that might be an issue, but would immersion in diluted black ink work?
    Immersion might work because you can put the entire sheet of brass into the ink? When I do apply the ink with the brush it does fill in the gaps between the lines, but a quick puff of air over a paper towel clears them out. Immersion will probably do the same, but again the puff of air should clear it quickly.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ed's trial and success with Rust-Oleum spray paint gave me the courage to try it on my ratlines. I used flat black. Held the ratlines at arms length and lightly sprayed two sets. The first SOL set had the India Ink wash and the smaller set was clean brass. If you look at the smaller set from a vertical angle you can still see some brass showing so another ink wash for them is likely. Also, some clogging of the lines near the apex, but that's OK as far as I'm concerned as it will be under the fighting tops and not very visible.

For the remainder of ratlines I think I'm going to wash like Ed did above, then do a light wash with the India Ink and finally spray with paint. I may not put a dull coat on at all. Touch up paint on the blocks, maybe?

Regular Rust-Oleum flat black and not this 'Painters Touch" brand might work better? It's what I had on hand.

Name:  ARatlines1.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  183.0 KBName:  ARatlines2.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  166.1 KBName:  ARatlines3.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  126.0 KB

Rust-oleum Painters touch does go on thicker.
    With the regular Rust-oleum, spraying at a slight angle at each of the four sides should take care of any missed spots.

Another thing I learned was to make sure the ratline is off the ground when you use even light coats of dull coat, or some of the smaller spaces at the top of the ratline will fill.

Wish my camera skills were as good as Jim's.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Ed,
    The best shade of green to get would be the darkest one you can find. Say BLACK!
    Be safe
    Rory

Hi Ed,
    The best shade of green to get would be the darkest one you can find. Say BLACK!
    Be safe
    Rory
    touché

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Ed,
    Be safe
    Rory
    I thought "Green" was the new "Black"?

Two sources say GREEN, and one source says, the order was given to paint them black (both with white stripes). I opted for the majority. Besides, it's easier to spot your dark green ships on the table. The white sided Sybille seems to be color ready (except for a dark green over the black touch up) for a Russian Frigate.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Two sources say GREEN, and one source says, the order was given to paint them black (both with white stripes). I opted for the majority. Besides, it's easier to spot your dark green ships on the table. The white sided Sybille seems to be color ready (except for a dark green over the black touch up) for a Russian Frigate.
    touché
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I thought "Green" was the new "Black"?
    The louder the shout! We all thought the world was flat! "2 wrongs do not make a right! You are too much of a friend. I care too much. Paint them green if you wish, but I wish to see photos my friend.
    Be safe
    Rory