Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to have the initial layout defined with the manufacturer? How long from that point until you get a 'proof' version of the product in hand?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The turn around time for the layout was pretty quick. I measured out the dimensions and created the shapes in Adobe Illustrator and then printed them off on paper. The confirmed that my size and shape were correct. I sent that file to the company and they were able to get the two images I posted last to me the next day. They already do ratlines for other ships (different scale), so were able to just adjust those for the scale and shape of our ships.

Since are scale is much smaller, they suggested doing them out of stainless steel as it is stronger and would allow us to have more realistic sized lines. Since they normally produce with brass, they have to order in the SS and setup to do the proof for me. They mentioned about a month to get that done and about the same to do a production run.

So, I expect to that the proof in hand some time in Dec and hope to have them stocked on the AA site around the end of Jan. That should give everyone time to play with their new toys before putting some of them into drydock.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    The turn around time for the layout was pretty quick. I measured out the dimensions and created the shapes in Adobe Illustrator and then printed them off on paper. The confirmed that my size and shape were correct. I sent that file to the company and they were able to get the two images I posted last to me the next day. They already do ratlines for other ships (different scale), so were able to just adjust those for the scale and shape of our ships.

Since are scale is much smaller, they suggested doing them out of stainless steel as it is stronger and would allow us to have more realistic sized lines. Since they normally produce with brass, they have to order in the SS and setup to do the proof for me. They mentioned about a month to get that done and about the same to do a production run.

So, I expect to that the proof in hand some time in Dec and hope to have them stocked on the AA site around the end of Jan. That should give everyone time to play with their new toys before putting some of them into drydock.
    Excellent! Thanks Keith!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Thanks! This is exactly the info that I was looking for... a little insight into HOW these great little goodies get into our hands! I'm really impressed with the lineup of items that you are releasing in support of SoG!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    I'm really impressed with the lineup of items that you are releasing in support of SoG!
    Just wait until I have final production stuff in my hands and have had time to "toy" with them ;)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Great details as always! Thanks!!!

I'll have to buy at least a dozen... better set aside $100.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Were you going to post these on the AA site for preorders once the server changeover is finished?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    Were you going to post these on the AA site for preorders once the server changeover is finished?
    I want to have the sample version in hand before putting them up for pre-order.

They will actually be made of stainless steel. Much stronger then brass. Making them out of plastic would require injection molding them and the thousands of dollars is start up costs associated with that process.
    When do you think the ratlines will be ready for sale? ( educated guess )

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I can't really give a good guess at this point. Jan maybe?

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephane

Would these fit on all ships, or only the starter box set?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The Starter Box ships and the Ship Packs in Wave 1 (everything coming out in the next several weeks) area all the same four sculpts. I'm making a set of ratlines for each of those for sculpts. When Wave 2 comes out later in 2014, I'll be making sets for those ships as well... provided sales are good enough to justify it. Does that help?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I hope with the price point you're considering, Keith, that sales are highly successful. It seems to be an inexpensive way to greatly enhance the ships. Thank you for your effort on this.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephane

The Starter Box ships and the Ship Packs in Wave 1 (everything coming out in the next several weeks) area all the same four sculpts. I'm making a set of ratlines for each of those for sculpts. When Wave 2 comes out later in 2014, I'll be making sets for those ships as well... provided sales are good enough to justify it. Does that help?
    Yes, thanks

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well I got a Capn pack coming plus a couple of extra ships, so I expect to put in an order in the new year, plus after some smoke markers

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Uh, Boss, I'm interested in enough to upgrade my entire fleet... the problem is, the orders are going to have to trickle out, probably one sculpt's worth or one block of "one of each sculpt" at a time. Ditto extra Smoke Clouds.

WGF, WGS, new laptop, ammunition to maintain proficiency... between all that and an expected reduction of billable hours to pay for it all with, 2014 is going to Bring the Pain and Bring it Hard. :(

Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for... every ship in a Lt or Cpt pack. Plus individuals of course.
    Then there's the Victory and Constitution.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Queen View Post
    Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for...
    That is an excellent idea. It would make it quite easy to order.

Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for... every ship in a Lt or Cpt pack. Plus individuals of course.
    Good thinking, I'll take a Captains pack. (for starters)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

I would want to buy a bunch of these as well!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Can't see since the pictures were lost, but the idea sounds great! Just a marine pledge level and buying the starter pack from my local game shop, but I would consider getting a set for all eight ships...
    Last edited by Shoot@Me; 01-10-2014 at 18:16. Reason: Realized I said my pledge was gunner level.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Keith:
    Any chance that you could repost the picture of the sample ratlines?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

I'm sure packs would be popular, but I think "Mate" (1 of each) and "Captain" levels would be the more appropriate bundles.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

So is this a go ?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I've replaced the images in the earlier posts as best I could (I don't have some of them), luckily the important ones I was able to restore. I also got some photos of the test pieces that they ran and are sending me.

This is a stainless steel fret:

We are also testing in brass as well:

I hope to have these test ratlines here in the next week or so. As long as the fitment is good, I'll give the go ahead for production runs to start. We are getting closer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Any idea how many are going to be in the first production run? I recall you said lead times weren't short on these, so curious how many I should be planning to order from the get go?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Thanks Keith!

I've replaced the images in the earlier posts as best I could (I don't have some of them), luckily the important ones I was able to restore. I also got some photos of the test pieces that they ran and are sending me.

This is a stainless steel fret:

So like is the white section of what we see in the photo a holder for the ratlines?

We are also testing in brass as well:

I hope to have these test ratlines here in the next week or so. As long as the fitment is good, I'll give the go ahead for production runs to start. We are getting closer!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The grey and gold you see in those photos are the actual metal ratlines. The white is the background they were shot on.

I don't know yet on production numbers. I don't foresee a need to "Stock" up on them though.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

May I pre-order enough for 2 Captain's packs and a Lieutenant pack? Possibly to be included with my pending order of WGF?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Hi Zoe, I'm not quite ready to put them on pre-order yet.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

I'd easily drop $10 per ship for these. The time saved at my end to have properly sized ratlines that I could quickly paint/drop into place would be worth every dime. I bought into the Captain level and I'll be doubling my fleets within the next month. You can consider me a customer right from the get go for every ship I have =D

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Thanks Alyssa. I should have the test ratlines by the end of the month for everyone to see, well, second hand!

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    I'd easily drop $10 per ship for these. The time saved at my end to have properly sized ratlines that I could quickly paint/drop into place would be worth every dime. I bought into the Captain level and I'll be doubling my fleets within the next month. You can consider me a customer right from the get go for every ship I have =D
    $10 per ship would be too steep for me.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    $10 per ship would be too steep for me.
    Luckily it looks like we will almost be able to do three ships for that price!

Luckily it looks like we will almost be able to do three ships for that price!
    Great. I'll place orders as soon as you're ready.

Landsman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    CASTAY

Hi,
    I am new on this site. i'll be interested to place order. Have you a term ?
    BH62

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
    Hi,
    BH62
    Nothing is set in stone yet until I have the prototypes in hand and test out. As soon as that is done, they will be put up on the AA site as pre-orders.

Quote Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
    Hi,
    BH62
    Welcome to the Anchorage Castay. We are in need of French sailors.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

The stainless looks fantastic - more to scale than the brass. I'm in for a complete set for all wave 1 if the price stays at $3.75 per ship. Great job.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Nothing is set in stone yet until I have the prototypes in hand and test out. As soon as that is done, they will be put up on the AA site as pre-orders.
    Keith: Has the initial response/interest in the ratlines been what you had expected? Seems like a fair number of folks are looking forward to them.

What takes paint better, brass or stainless? I would think, brass.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    Keith: Has the initial response/interest in the ratlines been what you had expected? Seems like a fair number of folks are looking forward to them.
    Yes, this is about what I expected. We've got 17 "when can I buy them" people in this thread with a couple more looking really hard at them. While that is pretty small cross section of the market, it's enough try at least one production run of them. As with anything, the more people start to see them out there on table on on different sites, sells will go up.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'll pull up my notes from the manufacture on that and post back. One does not need to be primed and the other does (I think). One could also be "painted" with a sharpie type marker for the thinnest finish.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

I've had no problems painting stainless PE when I use it on plastic display models, although I usually use enamels. On these rat lines, I will probably break the surface with steel wool, and add a couple matte clear coats afterwards. I use an airbrush - probably just paint them before cutting them out. Stainless is much stronger, but must be annealed (with a bic lighter) before you can bend it - no bending required here, of course.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Yes, this is about what I expected. We've got 17 "when can I buy them" people in this thread with a couple more looking really hard at them. While that is pretty small cross section of the market, it's enough try at least one production run of them. As with anything, the more people start to see them out there on table on on different sites, sells will go up.
    I'm in for a set for a captains pledge.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

I'd like a set for captain's pledge as well. When do these go on pre-order?
    I still don't have my shipment from Ares though - tracking shows it as stuck in customs since the start of the week!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

I am interested, too. Will give more realistic look to the ships.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

Count me in. I've got one of each ship so I'll take 4 of each.