Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, those are much anticipated. I found mine after having been lost for a while, this weekend. There will be more ships with ratlines in my fleet, soon.

I checked AA.

We don't have brass ratlines for the Ocean class ships at the moment, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I checked AA.

We don't have brass ratlines for the Ocean class ships at the moment, right?
    Not yet. Hopefully Keith will give us an update.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Any sign of these yet boss ?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There's only ratlines available for the 32 gun ships.

All the ones for 74s are sold out and have been for a year.

I'm eagerly awaiting not only the new ones but also a resupply.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am sure that Keith will let us know as soon as he has anything new to tell us.
    Rob.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Apparently only one guy at the company that makes these for me can discuss this project with me. And apparently, he travels a lot and apparently can't receive or answer emails while traveling It's all very frustrating. The last info I had was to try contacting him again around the 11th of this month.

So the update is no update guys :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The update is "Still working on it" and that is good new.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another chance to save up some money before the new release hits us.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hmmmm, as you say , quite frustrating, oh well

Keith,

I wanted to check in on this, is the work on these officially dead? I have some of the originals, somewhere (the byproduct of two moves)....but wanted to get some additional ones for my ships? I was also hoping we'd get other waves done.

Can't say I'd blame you if you gave up on doing these, they seem like they are a lot of work, but then again, they are the most beautiful lines that you can find as well. I'm thinking of doing a bunch more ships, and really wanted to use your ratlines, so I thought I'd revisit this thread.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Ryan.
    Keith still has the ratlines for set 101 and 103 in stock if that is any help.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Hey Rob,

Yep I saw those (I really wish I could find the ones I have as I have enough for probably 6 frigates and 6 74s). Since I'm contemplating adding the ratlines, I'm at that inflection point where I really need to make a decision - go with Keith's (my preference) or go with Langton (the substitute). To get a uniform look, once I go down a path, I'm married to it to a degree (and we all know, divorce is expensive). I'd really like to go down the path with Keith on this one, but will need to probably get at least 6-10 74s, plus stuff to fit wave 2,3,4 ships where the existing sets can't be made to work.

So my question really boils down to...what do we think the long term plan is here? I could always get some frigates underway now, but I'd be unhappy if I never got the opportunity to keep the look going with the 74s and even first rates. Maybe some forum member has a hoard ratlines for the third rates laying around they are willing to part with! If so, please hit me up....

Ryan.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ryan, my advice to you is to tap the brakes for a bit--there are some things that Ares needs to sort out like the "mid-course scale change." (It's turned out that everything before SGN109 is a bit oversize; I'm trying to find pass-fors to repurpose the old tooling just in case we can get them to retool, and while I think I have maybes on most, I want to get as close as I can to sweeping the board before saying much more.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Well...that's sort of interesting! I had most of my ships and my pretty extensive book collection boxed up for two years (relocation to California, corporate housing, an apartment, then finally moved into my actual home). I unpacked everything a few weeks back (my wife quickly said, it looks like a game store exploded in here). So now that I have my stuff available again, I'm itching to do more with it!

I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes of this then. I know you're a fair bit picky about your ships, scales, and "passes for" (absolutely nothing wrong with that, I can appreciate it), but how much smaller would things really get? Seems there is just enough difference between say the 1/1200 lines and the ships I have (which are all oversized). Shrinking them a bit seems like it would nearly put them in line with the 1/1200 models.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ryan, when you see an SGN112 Spanish 74, then SGN104 should have been just slightly larger than that. (SGN112 is better for Bahama and the later Ildefonsos than the Nepomuceno group, which were around Temeraire size.)

I'll see if I still have your email and if I do I'll send you a PDF with the four major variations of the 1744 Invincible family-tree. (Two sets of drawings, 1/500 for more detail examination, 1/1000 for comparison to game miniatures.) If you've downloaded my Line Chart document that I just corrected and re-uploaded, all the drawings in that are 1/1000.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

I did try to download the line chart, but it just takes me to a blank page for some reason? Have to try pulling it up in another browser or something!

Definitely appreciate all the work you do on this, it's actually quite fun and fascinating to dig into this stuff....although when it comes to playing, I just want some good looking ships, even if they are slightly bigger or smaller than they should be!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Strange, I just did a test download from http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=199 and it came out same as my local copy. It's an Acrobat PDF.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

When I try in Safari, the link you show just opens a blank page. When I do it in Firefox, I get to a page, but when I click download, it just says Failed - Sails of Glory.org.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Still on Gmail? I'll just send it to you direct--this won't work as a workaround large-scale, but at least it'll get you into the game while we try to debug the problem and see if anyone else is having it.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Yep, if you've still got my email, it's still the same.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Torpedo away!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Thanks, this is great work. Should I assume that if I print this out, the printed ship is scaled to 1/1000?

I'll have to look and see if there's a discussion on the topic of scale somewhere to join, I'm most interested to hear more on this topic and see what Ares plans are around this.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If I've worked it right, on 8.5x11 sheet they should be either 1/1000 or within a few hairs (literal hairs) of it.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB