Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windage Dice

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Would that be the centre of a boardgame with a perspex bubble with a dice inside and a clicker mechanism which you push and it rolls the dice for you, in uk we would see that on the game "Sorry" at least I think thats what is meant :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have managed to pick up some weather dice from amazon uk, so I will use these for solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Have managed to pick up some weather dice from amazon uk, so I will use these for solo play.
    What were they called/listed as?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Ed, they were listed as Compass Dice

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance Dobbs but what exactly is a trouble board?
    Rob.
    It's a children's game with pegs, but in the middle of the board is a dome with a captive die. You push on the dome, and the die rolls. It doesn't get lost or knock over the pieces (important in children's games - and wargaming too...).

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Hi Ed, they were listed as Compass Dice
    Thanks Chris, picked up the last pack of 10 (the only way they sold them) at Amazon U.S.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    It is never too late to learn.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

So, the first step in my chit method was to make an "X" on one of the chits with just a dot on it. In my Tupperware cup, I put the "+","-", one blank, and my "X". I left one of the blanks out, because I liked the probability better my way.

Each turn, a player draws from the cup until a "+" or "-" is drawn. Then, a Wind Direction counter is placed next to the Wind Gauge to indicate whether the wind is trending up or down. The drawn chit is placed back in the cup. On subsequent turns, A "+" cancels a "-", and vice versa. The big change is, if the wind is trending away from the starting wind speed, the "X" cancels out the potential change in addition to the opposite draw. If it is trending back toward the starting wind, the "X" confirms the speed change in addition to the same draw. Before a chit is placed on the Wind Gauge, the "X" is treated like a blank.

This gives a 1 in 16 chance of a wind speed change, and a 1 in 8 of returning to the starting wind. My intention was to have a wind that could fluctuate but trend toward the starting wind.

I have come up with a table for starting wind speed and expanded wind rules, with wind to either side of the wind gauge (lighter and stronger), but that is for another post if anyone is interested.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    So, the first step in my chit method was to make an "X" on one of the chits with just a dot on it. In my Tupperware cup, I put the "+","-", one blank, and my "X". I left one of the blanks out, because I liked the probability better my way.

Each turn, a player draws from the cup until a "+" or "-" is drawn. Then, a Wind Direction counter is placed next to the Wind Gauge to indicate whether the wind is trending up or down. The drawn chit is placed back in the cup. On subsequent turns, A "+" cancels a "-", and vice versa. The big change is, if the wind is trending away from the starting wind speed, the "X" cancels out the potential change in addition to the opposite draw. If it is trending back toward the starting wind, the "X" confirms the speed change in addition to the same draw. Before a chit is placed on the Wind Gauge, the "X" is treated like a blank.

This gives a 1 in 16 chance of a wind speed change, and a 1 in 8 of returning to the starting wind. My intention was to have a wind that could fluctuate but trend toward the starting wind.

I have come up with a table for starting wind speed and expanded wind rules, with wind to either side of the wind gauge (lighter and stronger), but that is for another post if anyone is interested.
    It is an interesting way to deal with the wind and probably more realistic than having it swing violently back and forth. I can't quite get my head round the nuances of it until playing it with chits, but it looks interesting. I wonder how the maths would compare to my die system?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It is an interesting way to deal with the wind and probably more realistic than having it swing violently back and forth. I can't quite get my head round the nuances of it until playing it with chits, but it looks interesting. I wonder how the maths would compare to my die system?
    Rob.
    I don't see an example of your die system for speed changes in this post. Lead me to it, and I will give you my feedback.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not sure how Rob plays the dice.
    I intend to do the following, roll a pair of dice every turn, if they turn up the same then move the wind pointer one point in that direction.

Ie current wind direction is N, dice rolls SE on both, so move pointer one point towards the SE ...... Well thats my theory :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is an example of my method

Set the wind direction for the start of the game.
    Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  177.5 KB

At the end of the turn cast the die.
    The wind direction alters two points toward the direction indicated.
    Name:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  134.7 KB

End of next turn cast the die.
    Name:  IMG_3681.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  121.8 KB

The pointer moves two points in the direction indicated.
    Name:  IMG_3682.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  221.1 KB

Next turn the die indicates due West.
    The indicator moves back two points towards the west.
    Name:  IMG_3683.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  209.2 KB

Should you ever get the indicator due East for example and the die indicate West just move two points in the direction of the last change.

I find that there is seldom more fluctuation than one sub cardinal point either way during a game.
    I have only played with wind strength fluctuation once, and that was in the campaign game which stipulated that wind speed should be included.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

One question; how do you indicate what the wind direction is when you are between two cardinal points? i.e. If the wind was South, and moves toward the SW, it only moves two points. Do you have an indicator that tells you that it is still technically out of the South?

Your method seems pretty solid, and since probability has a 50/50 chance of going either direction, you get a satisfactory wind with the occasional shift I like the chits for this, though, because when you pull a potential direction shift, it reduces the possibility of the change happening, since there are only two chits of that type remaining in the cup and three of the other. the problem with using this for wind speed, is that once a change happens, probability resets. On future draws the chance of increase or decrease is 50%. This is not a problem for direction (other than tactically), since it happens gradually.

Couldn't you use a die that indicates clockwise or counterclockwise for the same effect?

I find the wind speed changes too fast by the standard rules, and the 50/50 probability for increase or decrease doesn't work, and that's why I developed the method to trend toward the starting wind, as well as increasing the chance of change. By the standard rules, There is a 1 in 25 chance of a speed change, which kind of means, if it happens you're stuck with it, because how many games last 25 turns?

For our games, I came up with a wind speed below the Light Wind Gauge speed, and one above the High Wind Gauge speed. I'm working on a campaign game idea that gives the feel of taking a ship on a voyage, so the variable wind speed is important. Direction is arbitrary, and determined by the ship that has the weather gauge.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Dobbs.

One question; how do you indicate what the wind direction is when you are between two cardinal points? i.e. If the wind was South, and moves toward the SW, it only moves two points. Do you have an indicator that tells you that it is still technically out of the South?

If I am playing alone I simply move the indicator approx to the new heading, but if playing with friends, we just use the first two points as an indicator to the ships Master that the wind is trending and do nor=t act upon it until it reaches a Cardinal point.

Your method seems pretty solid, and since probability has a 50/50 chance of going either direction, you get a satisfactory wind with the occasional shift I like the chits for this, though, because when you pull a potential direction shift, it reduces the possibility of the change happening, since there are only two chits of that type remaining in the cup and three of the other. the problem with using this for wind speed, is that once a change happens, probability resets. On future draws the chance of increase or decrease is 50%. This is not a problem for direction (other than tactically), since it happens gradually.

Couldn't you use a die that indicates clockwise or counterclockwise for the same effect?
    I would think so, and I believe such dies do exist. It was just that as I had this one and it was purpose made I used it.

I find the wind speed changes too fast by the standard rules, and the 50/50 probability for increase or decrease doesn't work, and that's why I developed the method to trend toward the starting wind, as well as increasing the chance of change. By the standard rules, There is a 1 in 25 chance of a speed change, which kind of means, if it happens you're stuck with it, because how many games last 25 turns?
    As you say, although I have only used it once, I noticed that it only changed twice in the whole game, and just slowed the whole movement down for most of the game.

For our games, I came up with a wind speed below the Light Wind Gauge speed, and one above the High Wind Gauge speed. I'm working on a campaign game idea that gives the feel of taking a ship on a voyage, so the variable wind speed is important. Direction is arbitrary, and determined by the ship that has the weather gauge.
    I would very much like to see this system in action.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I would very much like to see this system in action.

Rob.[/QUOTE]

It's coming... It's slow going. I want to keep it quick moving, yet capture the feel, like SoG does on a tactical level. I have almost worked all of the bugs out of the "Chase" aspect. It is pretty much a game unto itself, and also gives players a way to disengage (or try to) from the tactical board.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

You do not need a die to choose between clockwise and anti-clockwise - just toss a coin.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite true Dave, but I prefer a more aesthetic approach to the game.

Basically, I have a die that I was not using and will use any excuse I can to darned well get some use out of it.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have some period coin reproductions I use for resolving 50/50 issues, like boarding actions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And that Dobbs answers the question of what to do with my George III penny.
    Thanks for another good idea.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have a die that I picked up from a show some years ago with all the compass points upon it. Whatever comes up, I simply move the counter two points in the direction indicated. When and if it reaches a sub cardinal point on the indicator the wind veers to that point.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...7&d=1479033445

Rob.
    Any ideas where to get a die like this now-a-days?

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

I don't need dice to help with my wind!!

Just lots of Rennie and a high fibre diet....

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In the U.K. they may be bought from https://www.thediceshoponline.com/di...ompass-D8-Dice

in the U.S.A. from https://www.gmdice.com/products/d8-compass-dice

but there are many other suppliers. Just perform an internet search on 'd8 compass dice'. You may find better prices.

If you have a normal d8 just assign a different direction to each number.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    In the U.K. they may be bought from https://www.thediceshoponline.com/di...ompass-D8-Dice

in the U.S.A. from https://www.gmdice.com/products/d8-compass-dice

but there are many other suppliers. Just perform an internet search on 'd8 compass dice'. You may find better prices.

If you have a normal d8 just assign a different direction to each number.
    Thanks for the information, David. It's interesting... I searched last night for "compass dice d8". "d8 compass dice" works better. Who would have thought?

I am trying to develop a series of random encounter tables to make for a voyaging feel, and speedier information processing of the lettered dice is part of it.