Thread: The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel

I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on whether US ships in the Age of Sail rigged their running rigging on the mizzen mast like England or the rest of the world. I stumbled on this text while searching. I'll admit that 99% of this is over my head, but it's clearly a major resource for anyone interested in the 'technology of the era'.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm

What a great find. While I got a headache trying to follow what little I could, there is so much information that this site is a must for my computer library.
    Thanks Jim.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on whether US ships in the Age of Sail rigged their running rigging on the mizzen mast like England or the rest of the world. I stumbled on this text while searching. I'll admit that 99% of this is over my head, but it's clearly a major resource for anyone interested in the 'technology of the era'.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm
    Jim, Why not ask Rod Langton himself? E-mail and phone number on Langton's website. He is a very helpful man. As it was him that said about the 2 ways of rigging, He should know. In his book painting & rigging (P 41) say's "British Warships had a different method of rigging their higher mizzen sails than the vessels of all other countries". Note "Warship" and "all other". If Rod is right and why would he not be. All ships, naval and merchant rigged forward to the main mast. Only the Royal Navy (British) rigged back to the spanker.
    Be safe
    Rod

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, what a great find. I really like the illustrations. I bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Awesome find Jim, thank you for posting. Naval Tactics Vol II has lots of excellent practical information. Good reading.

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

What do you mean there are two styles of rigging

I was thinking Rory's type and my type, which will still look like a cat's cradle, even if I read and understand 20% of the above.

Oh well, to read and inwardly digest.

rabbit

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Jim, Why not ask Rod Langton himself? E-mail and phone number on Langton's website. He is a very helpful man. As it was him that said about the 2 ways of rigging, He should know. In his book painting & rigging (P 41) say's "British Warships had a different method of rigging their higher mizzen sails than the vessels of all other countries". Note "Warship" and "all other". If Rod is right and why would he not be. All ships, naval and merchant rigged forward to the main mast. Only the Royal Navy (British) rigged back to the spanker.
    Be safe
    Rod
    What an excellent idea. I'll shoot him an email and see what he says. I'll let you know what he says, either way. Thanks Rory.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Be safe
    Rod
    Oh dear,
    Be safe ROD I'm going MAD
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Oh dear,
    Be safe ROD I'm going MAD
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hey Rory,

I received an email from Rod today answering my question. He indicated that US ships would have rigged the mizzen mast like the British. So, your initial guess was correct.

Cheers!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    I'm a oldish man. This you can see from above post, going mad. Rod said U.S. Warships rig back to the spanker like the British.
    Be safe
    Rory

Jim,
    I'm a oldish man. This you can see from above post, going mad. Rod said U.S. Warships rig back to the spanker like the British.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Ah, I'm sorry I missed this one. Rory admits to being "oldish". Is that synonomous with "fogey" as in old fogey?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Ah, I'm sorry I missed this one. Rory admits to being "oldish". Is that synonomous with "fogey" as in old fogey?
    Could very well be, but I'm inclined to let him define it himself. Webster's says "oldish" is 'somewhat old', which would probably apply to many of us here (including myself)?

When you guys start talking about age, do you notice how quite I get.
    If it wasn't for my fountain of youth elixirs:g&t:, I too would think of myself as "oldish".

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Could very well be, but I'm inclined to let him define it himself. Webster's says "oldish" is 'somewhat old', which would probably apply to many of us here (including myself)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    When you guys start talking about age, do you notice how quite I get.
    If it wasn't for my fountain of youth elixirs:g&t:, I too would think of myself as "oldish".
    O.K.
    Hands up! I'm into my 2th childhood. See I play with toy's. By the way, you Vol said you are an "old fogey" yourself. I did not say a thing! As a somewhat old gent. I can set in my rocking chair sucking my pipe going hmmmm!
    Be safe
    Rory

O.K.
    Hands up! I'm into my 2th childhood. See I play with toy's. By the way, you Vol said you are an "old fogey" yourself. I did not say a thing! As a somewhat old gent. I can set in my rocking chair sucking my pipe going hmmmm!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Oh that's right! Sorry Rory, I just forgot! LOL
    Last edited by Volunteer; 10-08-2013 at 15:23.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Why is it, no matter what group I end up in, I'm always surrounded by people who either old enough to be my parents, or young enough to be my children?

<- wanders back to the trash can in the alley off Sesame Street... :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Why is it, no matter what group I end up in, I'm always surrounded by people who either old enough to be my parents, or young enough to be my children?

<- wanders back to the trash can in the alley off Sesame Street... :)
    All that means, is that you're at the perfect age.
    Enjoy it while you can. Your time's coming.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

You are only as old as the woman you feel

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Hi David,
    As Jane is 6 years older than me! What hope do I have?
    Be safe
    Rory

Not to worry Rory, mine is eight years younger than me. Still doesn't help! Still doesn't help.....is there an echo in here?

My first wife was 8 years younger than me. My last one was 16 years younger than me. I'm having a problem trying to keep doubling up and finding one 32 years younger.
    Last edited by Gunner; 10-09-2013 at 17:22.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi David,
    As Jane is 6 years older than me! What hope do I have?
    Be safe
    Rory
    Not to worry Rory, mine is eight years younger than me. Still doesn't help! Still doesn't help.....is there an echo in here?
    I was told that "You learn to cook on old pans" Don't tell Jane I said this!
    Be safe
    Rory

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

She's two years younger than me -- and with the silver hair, she looks like she could be my mother....