Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    ...probably two of the KS exclusives.
    I wonder if some may be available on the secondary market after a while...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    I wonder if some may be available on the secondary market after a while...
    Of course there will be. Some will regret having missed the boat and will pay handsomely to own a complete set. I too regret not having purchased more exclusives but I stretched my budget to get the ones I did.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Of course there will be. Some will regret having missed the boat and will pay handsomely to own a complete set. I too regret not having purchased more exclusives but I stretched my budget to get the ones I did.
    The problem, for me anyway, is the thought that no matter how many of them you have, if you sell any (at whatever price) you will then have less.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The problem, for me anyway, is the thought that no matter how many of them you have, if you sell any (at whatever price) you will then have less.
    True enough Bruce. I regret that I will have to sell some items to help pay for my copy of SGN.

Can anyone tell me if the First Wave has upped anchor yet

It is a little after their last promised ship date of the first week in October

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Once upon a time during the KS, there was some talk of art prints (or original art) from Donald MacLeod being made available in conjunction with the project.
    IIRC, it was finally determined that the shipping costs and product sales margins necessary just wouldn't work.
    Does anyone know if that is how things ended up with that idea or if anything came together?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the First Wave has upped anchor yet

It is a little after their last promised ship date of the first week in October
    Their last promised ship date was in no way the first week in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Their last promised ship date was in no way the first week in October.

Ares latest update as of 10 hours ago. (10-2-2013)

If everything goes according to plan, the mass production shall be completed October, 10th. Remember the product is in China - after that, we need about 1 month to get the product in the US warehouse. In these days it's a holiday in China, so we hope to be able to confirm the product is shipping out of the factory with an update at the beginning of the next week.

If everything goes according to plan, the mass production shall be completed October, 10th. Remember the product is in China - after that, we need about 1 month to get the product in the US warehouse. In these days it's a holiday in China, so we hope to be able to confirm the product is shipping out of the factory with an update at the beginning of the next week.
    I hope the ship doesn't go by way of Somalia!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Pity they couldn't distribute direct from China. Just got a stack of models from Shanghai, cheap as chips for the models and free (yes, free) shipping. Arrived 72 hours after purchase. And thats not a one-off. I often wonder whether some companies that manufacture entirely in China might be better off making arrangements in country rather than going through the expense and time of shipping to Europe and the UK for distribution.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I hope the ship doesn't go by way of Somalia!
    Somalia's OK now. A friend of mine does PSC work on ships passing through the area and he reckons its become a quiet cruise in the sunshine for them now.

All I'm asking from Ares is, where are they
    While it's admirable that some members come to their defense, it's been awhile since any delivery information was given.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Somalia's OK now. A friend of mine does PSC work on ships passing through the area and he reckons its become a quiet cruise in the sunshine for them now.
    I imagine the ships with the cargo bound for the U.S. goes straight from China to one of the California ports. The only pirates we have to worry about is Chris and Diamondback out there on the Left Coast.

I imagine the ships with the cargo bound for the U.S. goes straight from China to one of the California ports. The only pirates we have to worry about is Chris and Diamondback out there on the Left Coast.
    And if they get it, can you imagine the ransom they'll demand from us.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

While it's admirable that some members come to their defense, it's been awhile since any delivery information was given.
    I'm with you, Ed. Ares hasn't even confirmed that the product in on the water? That's not a particularly difficult thing to determine. Yes, I know they're busy with Essen Spiel, but it take seconds to post on the web.

I've pledged a number of Kickstarter projects in the past six months or so. The Wild West Exodus Kickstarter has by far been the best in communication of this type. They posted the ship that was going to be delivering the container, a link where you could track the ship, etc. It was really well done by them and didn't seem that hard as the company shipping the product, they seemed to get all that info. I'd like to see Ares go down this same path, but none the less, doesn't really matter as long as I get my ships in my hands sooner rather than later!

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

CNN/Money ran a story a bit less than a year ago tracking 50 large KS projects that had funded over the previous year as to how they fared with delivery compared to their due dates. At the time of the article, only 35 of the 50 had shipped. Here is the breakdown of on time/late performance:

THOSE THAT HAVE SHIPPED
    On Time 8
    1 Mo Late 9
    2 Mos Late 10
    3 Mos Late 3
    4 Mos Late 1
    5 Mos Late 1
    6 Mos Late 2
    7 Mos Late 1

THOSE THAT HAVE NOT YET SHIPPED
    1 Mo Late 4
    2 Mos Late 4
    3 Mos Late 3
    4 Mos Late 2
    6 Mos Late 1
    9 Mos Late 1

Based on the estimated August ship date on the KS page, things are getting a bit late.
    One reason that the article gave for late delivery was that the KS response was far greater than the company expected and it just took longer to crank out the product.

Article can be found here:
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/tech...lay/index.html

So this means they are declaring the ship date from them to us is AFTER November 10th, not October 10th.

What you posted is not their last update, by the way.
    October 14th is their latest update from the Kickstarter page and it says....
    "PLUS we hear from the factory that production is completed and final assembly is scheduled to be over at the end of this week."
    That means it won't ship from China until like...now.
    So, we're not getting this until maybe first week of December.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

So this means they are declaring the ship date from them to us is AFTER November 10th, not October 10th.

What you posted is not their last update, by the way.
    October 14th is their latest update from the Kickstarter page and it says....
    "PLUS we hear from the factory that production is completed and final assembly is scheduled to be over at the end of this week."
    That means it won't ship from China until like...now.
    So, we're not getting this until maybe first week of December.
    So going way out on a limb to try to put a timeline around all this with estimates of a date range (in parentheses) that each phase might be completed:

October 14th was a Monday, so the end of that week would be the 18th or 19th.

A week to package product and for shipping (might be optimistic) does make the time to load the containers about this week (Nov 1).

I have heard that China to west coast shipping, on average, takes 2 to 4 weeks (Nov 15 - 29).

Transfer and truck shipping from there to the Ares distribution center (which I believe is in Indiana) would take about another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 22 - Dec 13).

At that point the shipment needs to be broken down and individually packed for delivery to us another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 29 - Dec 27).

UPS/FedEx or whatever to US locations 1 to 4 days (Nov 30 - Dec 31).
    OR: Shipping to international locations to the customs inspection office: 3 to 14 days (Dec 2 - Jan 10)
    Then let the customs horror stories begin!

Another potential wrinkle is that all of this will be going on as the heavy Christmas merchandise shipping season goes on (very often starting from about the same location).

So if you happen to have the first order that is put together at the US shipping facility AND live in the US, you will very likely have your stuff well before Christmas.
    Otherwise, well...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Name:  City_Lost_Children-santa_0.gif
Views: 799
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  City_Lost_Children-santa_0.gif
Views: 799
Size:  66.1 KB
    I hope not.

Does anyone remember what the original ship date was?

I haven't had to do container shipments for years. From Hungary or England, it was a little less than a month for transit time, customs clearing and shipping to get to our doorstep. Sometimes it was quicker. In the 12 years I did it, we only had one serious customs delay and that was only a week. That's why I scoff whenever Battlefront blames one of their product delays on customs, which they do with regularity.

Now that you've mentioned a few things, I'm hoping we get it by Christmas.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Feliz Navidad.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I hope not.

Does anyone remember what the original ship date was?
    Estimated delivery: Aug 2013

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I haven't had to do container shipments for years. From Hungary or England, it was a little less than a month for transit time, customs clearing and shipping to get to our doorstep. Sometimes it was quicker. In the 12 years I did it, we only had one serious customs delay and that was only a week. That's why I scoff whenever Battlefront blames one of their product delays on customs, which they do with regularity.

Now that you've mentioned a few things, I'm hoping we get it by Christmas.
    In the recent past, I have been using Wings Duel Packs as my standard gift item.
    I was hoping to go a bit upscale with something nautical starting this Christmas.
    That plan is starting to look less likely to happen.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

In the recent past, I have been using Wings Duel Packs as my standard gift item.
    I was hoping to go a bit upscale with something nautical starting this Christmas.
    That plan is starting to look less likely to happen.
    I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle so I too can gift some Sails of Glory items this year. It would be great to start the New Year with friends amped up to play with their new toys.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Hindsight is wonderful, and I bet that Ares has a big stack of lesson learned items from this experience.

The final total was over nine times the goal that Ares set for the project.
    I'm sure that required a few adjustments to their project plan.
    They have made an effort to keep us updated (though they could have done better there).
    They have continued to update and improve the product even as production was in progress.
    Still, I am sure that we will get our stuff fairly soon and that the quality will be great.

Even with the delay I would still be ready to sign on for a next KS project.

Estimated delivery: Aug 2013
    Thank you Paul.

So going way out on a limb to try to put a timeline around all this with estimates of a date range (in parentheses) that each phase might be completed:

October 14th was a Monday, so the end of that week would be the 18th or 19th.

A week to package product and for shipping (might be optimistic) does make the time to load the containers about this week (Nov 1).

I have heard that China to west coast shipping, on average, takes 2 to 4 weeks (Nov 15 - 29).

Transfer and truck shipping from there to the Ares distribution center (which I believe is in Indiana) would take about another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 22 - Dec 13).

At that point the shipment needs to be broken down and individually packed for delivery to us another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 29 - Dec 27).

UPS/FedEx or whatever to US locations 1 to 4 days (Nov 30 - Dec 31).
    OR: Shipping to international locations to the customs inspection office: 3 to 14 days (Dec 2 - Jan 10)
    Then let the customs horror stories begin!

Another potential wrinkle is that all of this will be going on as the heavy Christmas merchandise shipping season goes on (very often starting from about the same location).

So if you happen to have the first order that is put together at the US shipping facility AND live in the US, you will very likely have your stuff well before Christmas.
    Otherwise, well...
    Don't forget that in the U.S. FedEx SmartPost could be used. Package ships from the warehouse by regular FedEx and gets to a distribution center in your area in about a couple of days. FedEx then sends it to their SmartPost facility where it sits for a few days until turned over to the U. S. Mail for delivery.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Thank you Paul.
    Cheers Ed, back at ya!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Wha'd'ya think D-back? $1,000 per head overdoing it? >;)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Don't forget that in the U.S. FedEx SmartPost could be used. Package ships from the warehouse by regular FedEx and gets to a distribution center in your area in about a couple of days. FedEx then sends it to their SmartPost facility where it sits for a few days until turned over to the U. S. Mail for delivery.
    Then, of course, we also need to consider:
    Name:  The_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  7.5 KB

Then, of course, we also need to consider:
    Name:  The_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  7.5 KB
    Is that guy in the middle one of Cardinal Richelieu's WOG pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Have a little mercy, I've already spent close to that on the fleets.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Is that guy in the middle one of Cardinal Richelieu's WOG pilots?
    Perhaps, but regardless he always comes at you from an UNEXPECTED direction.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Arrrr, matey, I say we give 'em safe passage on this one... more for the plunderin' later once the game's established, rather than smotherin' a baby in its crib.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Arrrr, matey, I say we give 'em safe passage on this one... more for the plunderin' later once the game's established, rather than smotherin' a baby in its crib.
    If we meet, the drinks are on CHRIS.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'll drink to THAT, compadre! I've been trying to plan a road-trip down your way, but sadly we haven't been south of Old Route 66 and the relatives that DO drive aren't up for it.

Doesn't help that I have a bad habit of setting the GPS then falling asleep... no matter what kind of vehicle I'm aboard, any movement for more than about ten minutes and I'm out like a light. (Seriously, as a kid UAL 727s and 737s and the family station-wagon were my version of being rocked to sleep in a crib with how frequently Grandma and Grandpa had us heading back east to visit the relatives...)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-27-2013 at 20:53.

I've driven Route 66 from Chicago to LA many times when it was the main road between the two.
    I still drive between Phoenix and SoCal about once a month. Let me know the next time your in the Santa Monica area and maybe I can time one of my trips to have a SGN game at a local shop.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, I tried to convince them, as alleged history enthusiasts, to bite on a Civil War Sesquicentennial roadtrip in the Deep South and... well, it looks like with my grandmother needing one of us to stay around here and keep an eye on her since she's too invalid and too far into senile dementia to go anywhere, none of us is goin' anywhere for the rest of her life. (Just a drive down the coast to Newport last year ended rather poorly, when she started trying to demand we cover a two-day drive in THREE HOURS so she could be back in her bed that night...)

Most women do like to sleep in their own bed.Take care of Granny.
    I might be in her shoes in 25, 30 years.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Have you heard if there will be anything on the boxes (like perhaps a sticker) to designate the KS exclusive ships?
    I've not heard, but I can ask.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barrelman View Post
    The SOL ship boxes look to be about the size of Wings bomber packs. How do they compare?
    I'll try and remember to measure one and post up.

Once upon a time during the KS, there was some talk of art prints (or original art) from Donald MacLeod being made available in conjunction with the project.
    IIRC, it was finally determined that the shipping costs and product sales margins necessary just wouldn't work.
    Does anyone know if that is how things ended up with that idea or if anything came together?
    Nothing ever panned out on that front.

They have been out of contact for just over a week for the prep for Essen. I expect we will see an update sometime this week. And not to continuously defend them, it's often easy to forget that they have only about 4-5 full time employees (unless that number has changed since June). They really are a very small company and with half a dozen game lines to support, I'm sure even a quick update post gets sidelined from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    They have been out of contact for just over a week for the prep for Essen. I expect we will see an update sometime this week. And not to continuously defend them, it's often easy to forget that they have only about 4-5 full time employees (unless that number has changed since June). They really are a very small company and with half a dozen game lines to support, I'm sure even a quick update post gets sidelined from time to time.
    My apologies to Ares. I thought their staff was larger. But more frequent updates would still be nice.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    It was quite fun to make. Not being american though, i couldn't in good conscience throw away good quality tea, as it just tastes so damn good! :-)

I just had a chance to watch that video and LOVED it. Very informative but the light presentation makes it so fun to watch. You almost don't realize you're learning something. When are you doing the rest of the Revolutionary period video series?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

That's my issue with so many hobby items. I do NOT have a huge collection of any of my wargame hobby products but I do have pretty good size forces often including various things that are harder to find now. I often have people asking me to trade with them (and they DO have things I want) or for me to sell some of these models off...but I just can not ever get myself to that point. With the SoG KS I thought about getting a few extra Exclusives to sell off down the road to fund newer ships, but I knew in my heart I would never do it and would just have extra ships.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    That's my issue with so many hobby items. I do NOT have a huge collection of any of my wargame hobby products but I do have pretty good size forces often including various things that are harder to find now. I often have people asking me to trade with them (and they DO have things I want) or for me to sell some of these models off...but I just can not ever get myself to that point. With the SoG KS I thought about getting a few extra Exclusives to sell off down the road to fund newer ships, but I knew in my heart I would never do it and would just have extra ships.
    Yes,
    I can show you a closet full of early release Wings planes that are THEORETICALLY worth thousands.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    I just had a chance to watch that video and LOVED it. Very informative but the light presentation makes it so fun to watch. You almost don't realize you're learning something. When are you doing the rest of the Revolutionary period video series?
    Glad you liked it. I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know too much about american history. Other that the fight for independence, the the tiniest bit of knowledge on the civil war, and then modern day history such as world wars, Korean war, Vietnam, Iraq etc that a about it. Now if you want British history, then I'm all over that.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have a little mercy, I've already spent close to that on the fleets.
    <- points to flag

What part of that was unclear to you? >:)

"You cheated!"
    "'Pirate'....."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Good point. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow."* >;)

[*: http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wi...ve_Mercenaries ]

(As to buying drinks: 1) I can't drink alcohol; 2) Most of my money is tied up in miniatures.... :P )

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

My apologies to Ares. I thought their staff was larger. But more frequent updates would still be nice.
    No worries, and more updates would be nice :D