Thread: IJN Hiryu 1/1800 Shapeways

Default IJN Hiryu 1/1800 Shapeways

Here is another naval project I completed this weekend.

There are more pics on my blog post.

http://rallyroundtheflag.blogspot.co...del-11800.html

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very nice job! It certainly shows that 3D printing is viable for smaller scale ships, planes, etc. Ironically the powers that be over on the Leviathans forum still maintain that 3D printing couldn't provide quality items vs. injected plastic products. I think this goes a long way towards proving them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very nice job! It certainly shows that 3D printing is viable for smaller scale ships, planes, etc. Ironically the powers that be over on the Leviathans forum still maintain that 3D printing couldn't provide quality items vs. injected plastic products. I think this goes a long way towards proving them wrong.
    Thanks!

I was definitely a skeptic, but now am sold after buying two.

Of course they would say it cannot work. This technology could put some out of business as it continues to improve. For a game like WaS that the company has walked away from 3D printing is providing an avenue for the fans to keep the game alive.

Btw, where are you in WI? I am in Janesville, work in Madison.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    Thanks!

I was definitely a skeptic, but now am sold after buying two.

Of course they would say it cannot work. This technology could put some out of business as it continues to improve. For a game like WaS that the company has walked away from 3D printing is providing an avenue for the fans to keep the game alive.

Btw, where are you in WI? I am in Janesville, work in Madison.
    I'm up in Madison.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nice work.

Aaron, how sturdy does the ship feel? I know some folks have had problems with WWI planes, but those models have to deal with thin struts, etc? This could be a viable option if they have ships from different time periods - ACW, WWI, ancients - for which I now have mini rules or tabletop games.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Nice work.

Aaron, how sturdy does the ship feel? I know some folks have had problems with WWI planes, but those models have to deal with thin struts, etc? This could be a viable option if they have ships from different time periods - ACW, WWI, ancients - for which I now have mini rules or tabletop games.
    I ordered it in WSF....I feel it is every bit as sturdy as the WotC models and should withstand drops and normal gaming wear now that it is sealed with a clear coat.

It is currently stored in a tackle styl box with all my other WotC minis.

I have heard some of the other materials can be more fragile and alot depends on the designer as well on how thin they go in areas.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks Aaron. I will have to check out what eras are covered in terms of ships.

The scale in your picture must be nice, lending itself to having a significant number of pieces in a single storage container.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    All part-and-parcel of the Collapse Of Traditional Publishing, and the (failing) attempts by the Trads to keep their iron-fisted grip on the situation. Just like with novels, where authors are heading toward Indie Publishing and away from the slave-labor contracts of the Big Five publishing houses; so Gaming is trending towards greater independence for players, instead of the Publishers saying "you will play in one of these carefully-selected ways, or you will not play at all" (why do you think the _BattleTech_ Jihad killed off all the independent Mercenaries, while preserving the Great Houses?).

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

gaming (in the UK at least, and I suspect elsewhere too) has always been about independence for players. I know people like to moan about "Evil Empires", Flames of Glory etc. but the sheer diversity in rules, models and accessories from hundreds of publishers and manufacturers has always been a feature of this hobby and, I am sure, always will.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    (why do you think the _BattleTech_ Jihad killed off all the independent Mercenaries, while preserving the Great Houses?).
    Well, umm, err, I have no idea...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

For what it's worth, JoAnn Fabrics, nationwide, has all of their storage containers 50% off this week. I was there yesterday and bought a bunch like the pictured above for $2.50 apiece. I will be going back today for others. One was large and deep, and I was thinking about SoG ships.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    For what it's worth, JoAnn Fabrics, nationwide, has all of their storage containers 50% off this week. I was there yesterday and bought a bunch like the pictured above for $2.50 apiece. I will be going back today for others. One was large and deep, and I was thinking about SoG ships.
    Thank you for the cost saving post Eric. No sense in paying full price.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

They are really handy for traditional wargames. Much better than having pieces in ziplock bags. What is especially nice is games that are part of series. I was able to combine all three Panzer (GMT) game counters in one storage tray. Now, if I want to create a scenario, I don't have to sort through different boxes to find the pieces.

For WoG, I picked up a different type of storage tray from Meijers. The lid, at the hinges, comes off, and the compartments are actually little containers, able to be pulled out separately. I don't need little dishes or anything when playing a game. I can simply pull out which containers I will use for the given scenario, while being able to carry all of them in one convenient container.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Well, umm, err, I have no idea...:dazed:
    "It's Symbolism, baby...." ;)