Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAMES

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Default GAMES

After all the chat in here I was looking for my copy of Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Alas not sure where it is but what did I find but a board game from Milton Bradley called BROADSIDE. There may be some of you out there that remember this game from the 60's. I may have to pull it out and have a battle with the wife. Oh and for all the other flyboys I also have the DOGFIGHT game.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I remember playing Dogfight at the neighbors house quite often!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

One of my prize possessions is an old board game called "Trafalgar" - complete with model ships with removable masts, "damage" cards on which you placed small plastic cannon to show the number of guns in each broadside, etc. lovely game :)

Name:  trafalgarsmall.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  35.5 KB

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Sounds like a little like BROADSIDE. I have to pull it out and remember how it is played afterall that was about 45 years ago. They also had removable masts for damage but can't remember how the damage was done. I see a project for this weekend.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

DOGFIGHTS with a Spad and Triplane if I remember right.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I guess DOGFIGHT was my first feel of Wings.

I played a few games of Dogfight back in the day... but really did not remember doing so until just now. A buddy of mine and I used to play Wooden Ships and Iron Men all the time as well!

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

I sold or gave away all my old war games, no one to play with. Wish I had some of them now

I kept most of my wargames, including magazine wargames I probably have 500+. Most of these are from SPI but there are smatterings of many of the other publishers. My first "wargame" was probably "Hit the beach" by MB.

Able Seaman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    One of my prize possessions is an old board game called "Trafalgar" - complete with model ships with removable masts, "damage" cards on which you placed small plastic cannon to show the number of guns in each broadside, etc. lovely game :)

I've got that one too But I've got my doubts about the state that it is ... ;)

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I remember my first game and still have it. It was Gettysburg by Avalon Hill. Think I bought it in 1960 for .50 cents. At that time I think they only had Gettysburg and Tactics II. Oh and I still have Hit the Beach. For all you pilots I just posted a link to a neat video of WWI planes in Areodrome.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Capt P View Post
    DOGFIGHTS with a Spad and Triplane if I remember right.
    SPAD and Fokker D.VII, actually.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1509/dogfight

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I love WSIM. rules and counters can be found on line.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Just pulled it out from a pile of things ( old BB cards) and you are correct.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Also pulled out the Broadside game and has some real neat pictures. I have to scan them and post in picture album.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Also pulled out the Broadside game and has some real neat pictures. I have to scan them and post in picture album.
    Would this be the Hopelessly Broken First Edition version, or the Second Edition where they fixed the broken-ness?

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Well I guess it was the first addition since I got it when iot came out. But the pics are good.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Tell me what was borken.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I have BROADSIDE/DOGFIGHR & HIT THE BEACH. I think since they are about 45 years old must be good.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Tell me what was borken.
    Basically: In 1e, it is possible for the Blue player to arrange his forces such that the Red player cannot win.

In order to accomplish this, Blue must do the following (note: Directions here have the Blue player's merchantmen on the "North" edge of the board):

1) Place both "hit" cannon, and all three "sunk" buoys, on the East port entry.
    2) Place three schooners on the three starting spaces due North of the West port entry (which, from #1, will have the "Miss" and "Safe" defenses).
    3) Place one frigate each due North of the spaces forming the crook of the "L"s needed to maneuver around the buoy spaces.

Red's starting positions mean only two of his ships can move directly past the defense cannon and buoys directly into the harbor; the "sunk" buoys are there to ensure if Red moves a frigate or SoL past the cannons, said unit will be automatically destroyed at the buoys, while the "hit" cannon ensure the unit will take between 1 and 2 hits upon entering the narrows.

Blue's first move will not vary, no matter what Red does: Blue's first move must be to move one of his frigates in #3 down to the crook of the "L", thus blocking Red's passage through that "L". What happens next depends on what Red does:

1) If Red's first move puts a unit into the row between the cannon and buoys, then after Blue cuts off one of the "L"s, Red's only logical move is to move to the crook of the other "L"; at which point Blue's move is to move the other frigate from #3 down to cut off Red's passage. Since Red cannot attack again with this unit, if he moves it, Blue's response is to move the frigate into the space vacated by Red. Red is now effectively blocked from using the East passage; with guns pointing at him from each side, the buoys blocking forward progress, and the cannons guaranteeing damage for both entering and exiting Red units, the best-case damage reports for Red ships are:
    a) schooners will be automatically sunk;
    b) brigs will be sunk if they try to escape (one hit entering, one hit exiting);
    c) frigates will be able to get out, but will be sunk if they try to re-enter;
    d) SoLs will be able to enter and exit once, but if they enter again, they will be sunk on exiting.

Red might be able to sink a Blue frigate; but it will cost Red almost twice as many ships to accomplish the feat (for instance, it would take *all three* Red brigs to sink one Blue Frigate), and in the time required to do so, Blue can simply move up another frigate to replace it.

2) If for some reason Red does not immediately enter the East narrows, then after Blue has moved the first #3 frigate, Blue must see where Red's second move places a ship; if the placement is due South of the West narrows, Blue must move one of the schooners from #2 above to the corresponding space in the West narrows between the cannon-line and the buoy-line; since Red cannot stop on a cannon-target space, this prevents Red entering via that column. If Red moves sideways to use a different column in the West Narrows, Blue simply moves another schooner down to block.

So at the end of five moves, Blue units should be placed approximately so: Blue frigates in the crooks of the "L"s of the East narrows; schooners in the three spaces between the cannon-target spaces and the buoy spaces in the West narrows. At this point, Red must concede the game, as it is impossible for him to bludgeon his way past Blue's defenses. This is the definition of Hopelessly Broken.

I believe BoardGameGeek has a photo of the *second* edition rules, which prevent certain of the Blue tactics described above being used:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/50537...?size=original ,

to wit: It is no longer permitted to place all three "sink" buoys in the same narrows; and ships may not only end a turn on a cannon space, but may stay there indefinitely without taking further damage (moving to a new space may result in damage, however). However, these changes, while somewhat helpful to Red, do not preclude Blue setting up a modified version of the 1e "shooting gallery" described above -- in essence, all Blue must do is move one of the end "sink" buoys to the other narrows, and add another frigate to #3 Setup to cover that column; the "Hit" cannons will cripple any units sent to destroy that frigate, while Blue moves another one up to replace it.

This game is a shining example of why "automatically" is a word which should *never* be used in game design.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Seth

There's a nifty little Napoleonic era naval warfare card game called Enemy in Sight. Anyone played that? I always enjoyed it, very quick to teach and quick enough to play that its good for groups that aren't hard-core games or history buffs. Not a simulation by any means, but certainly has a bit of period naval feel to it.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Just to get into the feel of things till the miniatures come out I have been playing Wooden Ships Iron Men against my eldest daughter, I admit I have lost every time due to the fact that I have forgoton so much and she is a soliciter and does not forget a thing!

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

You all just remined me I have a card game called 7th SEA. A friend gave it to me and have nevr played it. The cards are like the game MAGIC.I have to go through it as it seems there may be some cards that be AVATARS that Hajj is looking for.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by swarbs View Post
    There's a nifty little Napoleonic era naval warfare card game called Enemy in Sight. Anyone played that? I always enjoyed it, very quick to teach and quick enough to play that its good for groups that aren't hard-core games or history buffs. Not a simulation by any means, but certainly has a bit of period naval feel to it.
    Yup, I have a copy. Very fun game; actually more fun than Naval Wars.
    Karl

Enemy in sight is still available as a second (maybe third) edition from Lost Battalion Games. Thw Avalon Hill version was fun, had some nice artwork for the vessels but needed some historical rules for the more particular of us.

For the current edition

http://www.lostbattaliongames.com/p-...-in-sight.aspx

and for more detail on the game itself including pictures

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...enemy-in-sight

Also possibly of interest to some of you I stumbled on this one tonight

http://www.burningsea.com/page/home

Pirate multiplayer game, it says it's free but like most of them if you want to be successful you probably have to pay to gain advantages not available to free players. Not my cup of tea (or rum) butmight be yours.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Daniel I didn't think about Lost Bn Games. I have their 10mm WWII games that are good. May have to look into it.

Default Warhammer Trafalgar rules set

Oh and we cant forget Warhammer Trafalgar rules system. Very attractive book, great paint guide, B&W diagrams, flags, historical information etc etc. Not sure how good the rules themselves are but the book is as I say very nice. I just checked on their website and it is actually on sale at half price (10poundsUK)!

The book also has nice lists for minor nation fleets, ship types, glossary as well. 144 pages, actual rules run about 26pages. I have a copy of the 1st ed and think it will be a very accessible and useful resource alongside SOG when it is released.

http://www.warhammer-historical.com/...Trafalgar.html

This second link takes a while to load (3.6meg) but allows you to view 10-12 pages from the book.

http://warhammer-historical.com/Aspreads/trafalgar.html

Name:  trafl.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  21.6 KB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Trafalgar features the production values we have come to expect from Warhammer Historical. The illustrations are good, the painting guide is good too (although I prefer Rod Langton's). I'm not a big fan of the rules as, whilst they play well (i.e. they are "playable" and easy to understand) I don't think they recreate AoS actions particularly well, and they are aimed at "big ship" actions - the fidelity in the ship stats is too coarse to allow the vast variety of frigates and unrated craft to be represented satisfactorily. Both areas are ones where you can alleviate the issues through house rules.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

(Sigh) I am afraid I dont know too many of these games, until SoG came along, well soon anyway, I have kept my feet firmly on the ground and in the air. I get seasick in the shower :(

Ha I'm with you on that one Chris, I'm a landsman through and through, if we were meant to be at sea we'd have gills and fins!

Amazingly the history still fascinates me despite my personal aversion to floating on it.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Never thought of Warhammer as Historical. Just thought of them as a fantasy gaming system.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

For those of you into more than historical naval games check out Spartian Games.

A nice after action report of a GMT game "Flying Colors" scenario from the Anglo-Dutch wars

http://yockbosboardgames.blogspot.co...bank-1829.html

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Seeing the remarks about "Balanced scenarios": I think the designer is trying to indicate just how few and far-between such balanced scenarios were in Reality. Let's face it: Anyone who knows anything about Trafalgar beyond the basics knows there is exactly zero chance of the Combined Fleet winning -- it's a question of "will any Combined Fleet units survive?". (IIRC: Nelson himself was disappointed -- briefly :) -- that the British had "only" captured 15 ships; he'd expected to nab at least 20.) Same for the American Revolutionary battles; the RN was in the middle of a rather unpleasant dispute between Tory and Whig officers during the AmRev, and the arguments blew up just in time for Ushant and Chesapeake Bay -- one wonders how those might have turned out if the RN had not been hamstrung by political infighting.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Bloody politicians :)

On "balanced scenarios" I once played a massive wargame (1/300 modern micro armour at ground scale = model scale on the old BAE Terrain Model at Filton - a massive model of the German countryside where it was permissible (of course necessary) to walk on the terrain to reach practically anything). Two of the players were instructors at the School of Infantry in Warminster ** and we got talking abouty balanced scenarios. One of them opined that in real life if the "scenario" is "balanced" toe grown ups hadn't done their homework properly, as the aim was for it to be as UNbalanced (in your favour) as possible. He did admit that could make a rather less than satisfactory wargame :)

** never go paintballing against these guys!!! Or even with them for that matter. went on a stag do, our team supplemented by our instructor friends. The other team were TV luvvies from some production company. Each time, as soon as the whistle blew the Instructors just vanished into the undergrowth and slotted the TV guys and girls in a couple of minutes. No blasting away indiscriminately, each one "tapped" just or twice. After 5 or 6 games we asked them to tone it down a bit as they wren't leaving us any targets to shoot at!!!

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Seeing the remarks about "Balanced scenarios": I think the designer is trying to indicate just how few and far-between such balanced scenarios were in Reality. Let's face it: Anyone who knows anything about Trafalgar beyond the basics knows there is exactly zero chance of the Combined Fleet winning -- it's a question of "will any Combined Fleet units survive?". (IIRC: Nelson himself was disappointed -- briefly :) -- that the British had "only" captured 15 ships; he'd expected to nab at least 20.) Same for the American Revolutionary battles; the RN was in the middle of a rather unpleasant dispute between Tory and Whig officers during the AmRev, and the arguments blew up just in time for Ushant and Chesapeake Bay -- one wonders how those might have turned out if the RN had not been hamstrung by political infighting.
    Tried hard at the time to get equal Audacity in the game, exactly for scenario's like this one, the early Anglo-French battles in the American Revolutionary Wars, Minorca, and perhaps Camperdown. Alas, the designer and developer saw things otherwise. IIRC the early British Carronade DRM is overrated as well, should be just +1 on range 1-3 from 1781-1795. After that the real smashers (32- or even 68-pounders) became more common.

Equal Audacity is implemented easily, even with the rules as written: any time Audacity decides the order of things, roll a die: even, British go first, odd, non-British go first.

Minorca: Byng had a second-rate fleet, and he faced some relatively good French ships. Both at audacity 1. Do get the b-version of the British 66 and 68, the weaker a-ships are wrong.

From 1778 up until about 1781 the French were quite decent, and the British at a low, so both sides at audacity 1 is about right. After that the British got their act together and the French ran out of trained sailors for their new ships.

On Dogger Bank: no Dutch carronade modifier, but both sides at audacity 1 (2 if you want a short game...), and the Dutch use the British "firing low" modifier. Also, only the two British 74's had carronades.

Camperdown is debatable, not the best-trained of Dutch fleets. Again, no Dutch carronade modifier, and the Dutch use the British "firing low" modifier. For balance, both sides at audacity 1 (2 if you want a short game...). Historically, the Dutch were at audacity 1, and the British at 2.

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

Two of the players were instructors at the School of Infantry in Warminster ** and we got talking abouty balanced scenarios. One of them opined that in real life if the "scenario" is "balanced" the grown ups hadn't done their homework properly, as the aim was for it to be as UNbalanced (in your favour) as possible. He did admit that could make a rather less than satisfactory wargame :)
    Quite correct, picking your fight as advantageous as possible is what makes a good general. This was more or less the reasoning of the FC developer. However, as a player I like scenario's where it is OK for my opponent to choose sides.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Niek, for those that don't have a copy of the game, could you explain what "audacity" represents in the rules? It sounds like an interesting concept.

"Audacity: A relative measure of the historical aggressiveness
    displayed by both sides in a particular scenario. Higher numbers
    positively modify many battle-related die rolls."

2.2.2.5 Audacity Rating: In addition to the statistics noted on the
    individual units, each nationality in a scenario is given an ‘Audacity’
    rating. This value is a reflection of how the side behaved
    historically in battle, and is an indication of the overall quality
    and flexibility of the fleet and the tenacity of its commanders.

Audacity affects rolls for initiative (who goes first), rake rolls,ships firepower,striking liklihood,command transfer roll, command death from wounds liklihood. "Commander quality" of individual commanders is also sometimes used instead of the audacity rating.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    "Audacity: A relative measure of the historical aggressiveness
    displayed by both sides in a particular scenario. Higher numbers
    positively modify many battle-related die rolls."

2.2.2.5 Audacity Rating: In addition to the statistics noted on the
    individual units, each nationality in a scenario is given an ‘Audacity’
    rating. This value is a reflection of how the side behaved
    historically in battle, and is an indication of the overall quality
    and flexibility of the fleet and the tenacity of its commanders.

Audacity affects rolls for initiative (who goes first), rake rolls,ships firepower,striking liklihood,command transfer roll, command death from wounds liklihood. "Commander quality" of individual commanders is also sometimes used instead of the audacity rating.
    Huh -- about what I figured when I saw the word. Relates to what I was saying in another thread about how culture affects one's Navy -- the French Revolutionaries and Nazi Germany shared one factor: Commanders lived in fear of "the boss" and his secret police (witness what happened to Villeneuve after Trafalgar... :P ), which led to them, as it was phrased in _Patton_, "being more concerned with Not Losing a battle than with Winning it". It won't win a battle on its own, but it helps.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I, regretfully, did the same. Now I am buying many of them again on ebay for prices I would rather not think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
    I sold or gave away all my old war games, no one to play with. Wish I had some of them now

Able Seaman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

I've got the same hidden here somewhere in a cupboard... It was good for many fine gaming hours... :):):)

I think I'll get it out and have a game or two with my son...if I can talk him into it :rolleyes:

I did too Eric. I had the Avalon Hill games from the '60's, Gettysburg and Tobruk were my favorites. Then I had War of the Ring and Thieves World in the early '80's people gave me as gifts but never played them. Gave them all away, then I started having kids. Now one is in college and the other is 12 and anxious to play some wargames with her dad. Time's awasting!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Avalon Hill's Richthofen's War was my introduction into games. Many fond memories. I need to check out some of the older games mentioned here - Dogfight, Broadsides, Trafalgar - I'm off to ebay I guess.

What does your 12 year old enjoy? There are so many games now, that you will have very little problem finding several you can enjoy together.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I did too Eric. I had the Avalon Hill games from the '60's, Gettysburg and Tobruk were my favorites. Then I had War of the Ring and Thieves World in the early '80's people gave me as gifts but never played them. Gave them all away, then I started having kids. Now one is in college and the other is 12 and anxious to play some wargames with her dad. Time's awasting!

She enjoys any board game there is. Monopoly, Stratego, Risk. As for wargaming, Kiss Me Hardy is the first and we have yet to play since I just got it. We are still trying to understand the rules. I won't be home for another week so I'm hoping we can clear off the dining table long enough to have a go while I'm home on the weekend. Not having anyone to play with for 20 years I haven't played anything. Back in the 80's I played Tactica ancients with a group in AK. In the late 70's & early 80's it was fantasy gaming in Fairbanks. I have still painted miniatures off and on when I could, sometimes going years without doing anything. We built a place in 2005 and I put in a hobby room in the basement in 2008 and started again when I had time. I only discovered 1:1200 Napoleonic ships over Christmas 2011 and they have become my passion. Plus my wife seems to like them better than the troops and doesn't give me as much grief about the amount of time I'm spending on them when I'm home. Sorry, probably way more than you wanted to hear.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Don't be sorry for sharing. One of the best aspects of the Anchorage is getting to know the members of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    She enjoys any board game there is. Monopoly, Stratego, Risk. As for wargaming, Kiss Me Hardy is the first and we have yet to play since I just got it. We are still trying to understand the rules. I won't be home for another week so I'm hoping we can clear off the dining table long enough to have a go while I'm home on the weekend. Not having anyone to play with for 20 years I haven't played anything. Back in the 80's I played Tactica ancients with a group in AK. In the late 70's & early 80's it was fantasy gaming in Fairbanks. I have still painted miniatures off and on when I could, sometimes going years without doing anything. We built a place in 2005 and I put in a hobby room in the basement in 2008 and started again when I had time. I only discovered 1:1200 Napoleonic ships over Christmas 2011 and they have become my passion. Plus my wife seems to like them better than the troops and doesn't give me as much grief about the amount of time I'm spending on them when I'm home. Sorry, probably way more than you wanted to hear.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

My first venture into this era was SPI game called Frigate...which I still have.

My second was playing with langton's Action Under Sail rules. Which I still have, albeit the 1st edition.

My third was Pieces of Eight, Peter Pig's 15mm rules, which I still have and have just bought the newest version for use with their smaler range of ships of which I now own 6. Buying a fleet of these in 15mm would be extremely expensive.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Myself, I don't like "balanced" scenarios. If I want balanced, I'll play checkers which is what I say to people when they complain about my scenario designs. I NEVER balance it. No leader with an advantage waits until the other side is ready. They attack. The three things for me in a game is was it challenging, fun and did I do my best?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRoyal20 View Post
    Myself, I don't like "balanced" scenarios. If I want balanced, I'll play checkers which is what I say to people when they complain about my scenario designs. I NEVER balance it. No leader with an advantage waits until the other side is ready. They attack. The three things for me in a game is was it challenging, fun and did I do my best?
    Too right ! Main criteria should be "did you enjoy it", even if it was a no win situation. That's what good commanders try and achieve - a no win situation for their opponent.