View Poll Results: What's your favorite sea ditty?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blow the Man Down

12 16.90%
  • Drunken Sailor

40 56.34%
  • In the Navy

10 14.08%
  • Beyond the Sea

7 9.86%
  • Das Leibe Schiff

2 2.82%

Thread: Favorite Nautical Tune

Threaded View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default Favorite Nautical Tune

Throughout human history, from Gregorian chants to modern folk songs, music has been employed to lift spirits and unite various cultures towards common purposes. The microcosm of seafaring society is not exempt from these oral traditions, as evidenced by shanties with origins in rhythmic work chants and rousing “fo’c’sle” songs sung by off-duty crew.

Thanks to a generous grant from the U.S. government, I have been able to conduct extensive research in the history and origins of music from the Golden Age of Sail.* As part of this research a poll was conducted in an effort to determine the most popular maritime tunes. The top five results from our poll are provided above in random order.

It occurred to me that many of you may not be familiar with some of these tunes so I rummaged through youtube to find the best renditions available. Links to each are provided below for your reference and listening pleasure. Since many of these songs have been passed down in the oral tradition, their exact origins are difficult to pin down. The dates shown are approximate.

Double-Click Link-->Blow the man down (Circa 1860)
    Double-Click Link-->Drunken Sailor (c. 1855)
    Double-Click Link-->In The Navy (c. '79)
    Double-Click Link-->Beyond the Sea (c. '49)
    Double-Click Link-->Das Leibe Schiff (c. '77)

*In the United States the Golden Age of sail is generally accepted to be the era just prior to the proliferation of steam ships. (c. 1830 to 1880)
    Last edited by Coyote; 04-30-2013 at 13:55.