View Poll Results: What's your favorite sea ditty?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blow the Man Down

12 16.90%
  • Drunken Sailor

40 56.34%
  • In the Navy

10 14.08%
  • Beyond the Sea

7 9.86%
  • Das Leibe Schiff

2 2.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Nautical Tune

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    And I wonder why Parkinsons Research Funds are so hard to come by
    The U. S. Government does have its priorities. And people wonder why Texans are always talking about going back to being our own independent republic.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    And people wonder why Texans are always talking about going back to being our own independent republic.
    If you do, I will probably ask for help finding a house, and a reference/sponsorship for my wife and me to immigrate.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hmmm. The Nautical Beverages Project. I think I will have to PM you about that.

So you live in Gray's Lake. Any good restaurants up there?
    For Grayslake and central Lake County dining, the options are somewhat limited, but it really depends on your definition of “good.”
    If you like everything deep-fried then Sammies and Dog ‘N Suds are well-established GL institutions. There’s also the obligatory national fast-food chains and local pizza joints. We do have a Lou Malnati’s but it’s take-out only so no fried cheddar cubes or ice-cream covered cookies.

Family-style dining includes Fred’s in the "city" center. It’s popular with the locals, as is Kawa the “Mongolian Sushi” place near the abandoned fairgrounds. I have not had the pleasure of visiting either of these establishments. There are also a few other places I won’t mention unless you like spaghetti in the styling of Celebrity Chef Boyardee. It’s usually served fresh from the can, though.

For the more refined blue-collar palate, downtown GL is host to the relatively new Bulldogs Grille where they serve up gourmet-style burgers and some of the best classic shakes around. Conveniently located across the street and one block east of Unique Gifts and Games where you may find me procuring useless gaming miniatures by throwing handfuls of cash previously intended for my kids’ college funds.

While at Bulldogs, I recommend trying the Bluto Burger. From their menu:

“Four ˝ lb patties stuffed with grilled onions and pepper jack cheese, smothered in apple bbq sauce & 12 pieces of bacon then topped with jalapeno cream cheese and a big slab of onion rings. But wait…there’s more! We serve this bad boy with one pound of our hand cut fries smothered in cheese and chili!”

A bargain at $18.95. Finish it in 30 min or less and you get a free t-shirt and your picture on their “Wall of Fame.” Don’t and get your picture posted on the “Wall of Shame.” Either way, you'll be dubiously famous among the denizens of Grayslake.

For finer, yet reasonably priced fare, you’ll need to travel outside of Grayslake. Libertyville is host to Bottaio. An exceptional restaurant that is part of the Oliverri family of Italian restaurants. The Oliverri chain also includes Abruzzo in Deerfield, Trattoria Oliverii in Northbrook and Oliverri North in Antioch.

Ad Lib Café in Lindenhurst sports a talented chef serving up seasonal, locally-sourced haute cuisine. The "Spontaneous Tasting Menu" consists of four courses of whatever the chef feels like serving and is roughly $90 pp with a wine paring. For more frugal diners, I highly recommend at least stopping by Ad Lib for a bowl of the chef’s lobster broth. Your cardiologist will hate you but screw him. That soup’s so good you’ll want to put your &!ck in it. Although, I wouldn't recommend it because it’s really hot and part of the reason I’m no longer allowed within 500 feet of the establishment.

If you’re partial to the drink then Grayslake’s own Glunz Family Winery has a wide array of wine for any connoisseurs out there looking for a bottle of anything aged and fermented less than 5 days in a bathtub. For a truly good cocktail, the mix-masters at The Vine in downtown GL will whip up a mean top-shelf mojito or any other frou-frous concoction that floats your boat.
    Last edited by Coyote; 05-03-2013 at 12:46.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks Charles!

As for enjoying food, my initials are EAT, and wife's family is in the restaurant business. We enjoy quality regardless of the genre. Hence, we enjoy everything from really good hot dogs to really good classical or really good haute cuisine. Growing up in the city, we were exposed to food from just about every part of the world. About the only thing we don't do are chain restaurants with the exception of Maggianos.

I think Bulldogs, Ad Lib, and the winery will be on our summer list.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I feel we missed two very important choices here. First the obvious...

Come Sail Away - Styx

Now for the not so obvious that'll you'll go show all your friends ASAP...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Thanks Charles!

About the only thing we don't do are chain restaurants with the exception of Maggianos.

I think Bulldogs, Ad Lib, and the winery will be on our summer list.
    The Oliverri restaurants are a local chain and I actually prefer them over Maggianos. Bulldogs and Ad Lib are a must, but skip the winery. When I said "fermented less than five days in a bathtub," what I really meant is most of their selections taste like they were filtered through the sweaty underwear of a Biggest Loser contestant after an eight hour workout. However, if you insist on giving them a try anyway, you can sample their concoctions Wednesday evenings at the Farmer's Market starting in June. You'd be much better off washing down a Bulldogs burger at The Vine just a few doors west of the grill.

What? No BBQ or Tex-Mex.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    The Oliverri restaurants are a local chain and I actually prefer them over Maggianos. Bulldogs and Ad Lib are a must, but skip the winery. When I said "fermented less than five days in a bathtub," what I really meant is most of their selections taste like they were filtered through the sweaty underwear of a Biggest Loser contestant after an eight hour workout. However, if you insist on giving them a try anyway, you can sample their concoctions Wednesday evenings at the Farmer's Market starting in June. You'd be much better off washing down a Bulldogs burger at The Vine just a few doors west of the grill.
    Ah. I misread the winery "recommendation". We will definitely pass on that one. Thanks.

What? No BBQ or Tex-Mex.
    Unfortunately, I am usually disappointed with BBQ places up here that don't specialize in Chicago-style BBQ. There's one establishment in Urbana - The Black Dog Smoke and Ale House - that has good BBQ.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

As for enjoying food, my initials are EAT, and wife's family is in the restaurant business.
    That raises a question...what's the story behind your handle? At first, I figured it was some form of 733T-speak, but then I realized that you probably have no idea what that is. So..7eat51? It reminds me of my kids' favorite joke at the moment...Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 ate 9! This cracks them up every time.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No idea of what 733T-speak is? No idea? Of course I know what it is - 733T being code for leet which is short for elite which refers to online gaming language, also 733T can be used for hackers' language. At least that is what I just read online once I looked it up, having never seen it before.

7 was a nod to the Almighty - 7 being a Biblical number for God
    EAT is easy - my initials, the A being Anthony, an ever present component in any true Italian-American's name
    51 - the number I used on all my softball and basketball league uniforms as homage to one of the greatest American Football linebackers of all time - **** Butkus

Name:  DB 1.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  DB 2.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  65.1 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Coincidentally, my middle name is Anthony as well. No italian heritage though. Half Hungarian and and half New England WASP.

And I like the references. Butkus was an amazing player, and his name is the best football name ever save one (in my book): Bronko Nagurski.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    Coincidentally, my middle name is Anthony as well. No italian heritage though. Half Hungarian and and half New England WASP.

And I like the references. Butkus was an amazing player, and his name is the best football name ever save one (in my book): Bronko Nagurski.
    Between goulash and clam chowder, you have some of the culinary food bases covered. Hungarian, now that is a difficult language to learn. One of my friend's brother lived there, and came to speak like a native. Hungarians thought he was Hungarian. Slightly different than my experience with English. When I started college, the school registered me for an English class for non-native speakers. Then they found out I was born and raised in America. Apparently, Southside Chicagoese was not a recognized dialect at the time.

Bronko Nagurski, another Chicago Bear (http://chicagosportsmemories.blogspo...erhouse.html):

Name:  bronko-nagurski.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  85.2 KB

Unfortunately, I am usually disappointed with BBQ places up here that don't specialize in Chicago-style BBQ. .
    What's is Chicago style BBQ? Down here BBQ means meat cooked outdoors on an open grill, in the past wood burning flames but nowadays usually gas fired. Beef, chicken, fish doesn't matter, charred to death common if not so tasty.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    What's is Chicago style BBQ? Down here BBQ means meat cooked outdoors on an open grill, in the past wood burning flames but nowadays usually gas fired. Beef, chicken, fish doesn't matter, charred to death common if not so tasty.
    BBQ basically means cooking on a grill, and the better BBQ chefs usually cook at low heat and for a long time, and will experiment with different types of wood to create unique flavors. However, there are different regions in the U.S., each having their twist on how this is done, especially regarding seasoning, sauce, and cuts of meat. Some regions use dry rubs, some tangy sauces, etc. Chicago-style BBQ primarily refers to meat cut, that being rib-tips and hot links (a type of sausage).

In the part of the city where I am from, you often get the best BBQ from places at which you order and receive your food through bullet-proof glass. It kind of adds to the ambiance.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 05-04-2013 at 01:04.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Butkus is my #1 American football player ever. Watched him play many times. The scary part is that I'm two years older than he is.

the greatest American Football linebackers of all time - **** Butkus

Name:  DB 1.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  DB 2.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  65.1 KB

When cooking at home, its the same here as Austrailia. BBQ "restaurants" usually slow cook meats for hours in a large smoker. Beef brisket is usually the preferred meat in Texas but other types are also served. A lot of folks in Texas, like me, have their own smaller smokers. Chicago BBQ must have something to do with Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle."

There are different styles and meat preferences across the US. Here's a link that might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBQ

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chicago BBQ must have something to do with Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle."
    True on several levels. I think Chicago culture is definitely unique and tied to its history fairly strongly. My wife and I watched a documentary on Chicago from its founding to 1900; it helped me make sense of some of our habits almost a century later.

I like Texas BBQ - just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.

Here's a link that might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBQ
    Well that's more information on BBQ than I probably expected! I'm still "choking" on getting takeaway from someone behind bullet proof glass, you guys live in a truly different world

just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.
    I've been to many an "Irish pub" with that problem.

I like Texas BBQ - just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.
    It's like that with so called authentic restaurants in other places. I shudder to think what Mexican food is like up there.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well that's more information on BBQ than I probably expected! I'm still "choking" on getting takeaway from someone behind bullet proof glass, you guys live in a truly different world
    This isn't everywhere - you need not fear visiting the States. You will find that those on the Anchorage from the Chicagoland area live in very different types of neighborhoods with very different types of cultures. The Southside is probably unique in that way - a bit rougher than most areas.

I've been to many an "Irish pub" with that problem.
    Same is very true here.

This isn't everywhere - you need not fear visiting the States. You will find that those on the Anchorage from the Chicagoland area live in very different types of neighborhoods with very different types of cultures. The Southside is probably unique in that way - a bit rougher than most areas. Same is very true here.
    I don't think I've ever seen a place in Texas where you get takeout food from someone behind bulletproof glass. Of course down here not just the criminals have guns.

I don't think I've ever seen a place in Texas where you get takeout food from someone behind bulletproof glass. Of course down here not just the criminals have guns.
    That's the one good thing about Texas and don't forget Arizona, it's legal for residents to carry. Places like LA, New York, Chicago etc just Cops and criminals carry them.

PS Almost forgot to add politicians.
    Last edited by Gunner; 05-04-2013 at 02:57.

I was in the UK in the 80's during the time of the Brixton riots. They had bars covering the counter in KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken in those days) in that part of London, your order came out through a small hole in the bars, similar to old style bank security. Every city has it's rough areas and at different periods I guess they can be rougher than others.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

True on several levels. I think Chicago culture is definitely unique and tied to its history fairly strongly. My wife and I watched a documentary on Chicago from its founding to 1900; it helped me make sense of some of our habits almost a century later.

Make a trip to the north side and try Smoque, on Pulaski just south of Irving Park, They've some of the best around Chicago. Be warned, your seated where there's room, so you may be at a table with a total stranger.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

That's on the south side of Chicago. I live in an upscale suburb and the pretentious aspect of most retaurants here conflict with my rural Montana upbringing.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hopefully, the laws here will change in the near future. I think we're finally starting to see people wake up and look at reality for the first time.

Make a trip to the north side and try Smoque, on Pulaski just south of Irving Park, They've some of the best around Chicago. Be warned, your seated where there's room, so you may be at a table with a total stranger.
    Thank you. We will check this out.

That's on the south side of Chicago. I live in an upscale suburb and the pretentious aspect of most retaurants here conflict with my rural Montana upbringing.
    We were in downtown Naperville last year, planning on spending the day. We lasted about 10 minutes and were gone. Funny what makes people uncomfortable.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

When you're talking about Authentic Tex-Mex or Southern BBQ in the upper Midwest you really need to put the "Authentic" in quotes. BBQ in Chicago is a perfectly grilled Maxwell Street Polish.

Every region has a specialty. For us it's deep-dish pizza with sausage covering the entire bottom of a buttered crust. It's Italian Beef soaked through the roll "au jus." It's a Vienna Beef hot dog served on a poppy seed bun because a 'dog isn't a 'dog unless it snaps when you bite it.

Link-->Tastes of Chicago

If you want to risk life and limb in pursuit of a meal, don't go grizzly hunting. Walk into one of those aforementioned south-side eateries and ask them to put ketchup on your hot dog. The bullet-proof glass isn't there to protect the folks behind the counter. It's there to protect the tourists who don't know any better.

Among all the jerseys I own for any team in any sport, there is only one in my closet that has a name and number on it. In the NFL HOF, the Chicago Bears dominate in two player position categories. The first being line backers with Butkus arguably the greatest among them. The other position is well represented by the man I consider, the greatest football player of all time. The only player number I wear belongs to the guy hurdling three line backers in this pic...

Name:  WalterPayton_display_image.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  52.7 KB

As my all time favorite announcer Cosell would say, "and there goes Sweetness".
    God, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Link-->Tastes of Chicago

Among all the jerseys I own for any team in any sport, there is only one in my closet that has a name and number on it. In the NFL HOF, the Chicago Bears dominate in two player position categories. The first being line backers with Butkus arguably the greatest among them. The other position is well represented by the man I consider, the greatest football player of all time. The only player number I wear belongs to the guy hurdling three line backers in this pic...

Name:  WalterPayton_display_image.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  52.7 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    As my all time favorite announcer Cosell would say, "and there goes Sweetness".
    God, those were the days.
    Amen. May he rest in peace.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

When the Bears had class, personality, and talent.

Cory, you're at 100 posts. Congrats on your promotion.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

eric, you ever get out my way you'll have to check out Casa Mia. It's a chain, but a small family-run one... better than Buca di Beppo for Italian IMO, and I'm always on the lookout for good Italian.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    eric, you ever get out my way you'll have to check out Casa Mia. It's a chain, but a small family-run one... better than Buca di Beppo for Italian IMO, and I'm always on the lookout for good Italian.
    Sounds good. If and when we are in your area, it would be fun to dine together. As someone whose last name ends in a vowel, I am always up for good Italian. There is a little restaurant on the northside of Chicago own by two sisters from our hometown in Italy. It is a taste of Heaven - homemade pasta every day. A very dear Sicilian friend owns one here in Bloomington that eases our pain. Ho fame. Andiamo a mangiare.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Wow, this thread tacked hard to port.

Various nautical tunes I like.

I've always been partial to just how gruesome the lyrics to this really are -

This is a link to a more traditional type tune, "Beverly Anne".

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

And finally, I've always liked this one.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    kevin

Two songs not mentioned-- but fine-- are "Maid of Amsterdam" ("A rovin'") and "I know I'll never go to see no more."

I've sung both around a campfire and they are rousing!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

I've always liked "Sam's Gone Away" as good one to lead people (especially kids and the uninitiated) on since it is like a cadence in it's structure of repetition and the multitude of verses you hear.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Also, if we are talking about foodways, I am lucky enough to live in Nashville, TN. We have a local thing called 'Hot Chicken.' It is a fried chicken quarter battered with a spice batter (and no sauce). Served nominally as an open faced sandwich. Basically they put a Breast quarter on a slice of white bread and some sliced pickles on it.

It is delicious, but not for the faint of taste buds. I love spicy food and have never gotten past 'medium' at most places. LIke others have said, you get the best of this from small cinder block shacks with bars everywhere and terrible spotty operating hours. Here is a great quick little documentary on it.

http://youtu.be/72xXxV9qIPg

FYI - To you Chicago's, part of my degree is folk studies and I must say that I am very impressed with the amount of foodways you guys have. I also personally LOVE all of them from Gyros to Dogs to Pizza.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    kevin

My goodness, I don't think I've ever seen a thread wander so far off course. Must have been a very odd wind blowing. Food, football, Texas BBQ, and Texas BS have little to do with nautical music

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    My goodness, I don't think I've ever seen a thread wander so far off course. Must have been a very odd wind blowing. Food, football, Texas BBQ, and Texas BS have little to do with nautical music
    You think this is bad, check out the the other posts.
    By the way you left out Chicago politicians.
    Until the releases start, expect more off the subject conversations.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Drunken Sailor, of course!

And next to it I found very interesting one (although non-nautical): http://youtu.be/MZ35SOU9HTM

Btw, I missed part about BBQ and must nottice, there's no true BBQ if there's no charcoal
    Last edited by Пилот; 11-26-2013 at 03:39.

The South Park Somalian pirate song is kind of catchy.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Not sure how many of you gentlemen are video gamers. Here is a long video sampling all the early 18th century tunes that the crew will sing in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. They are supposed to be contemporary to the period, although they are called "sea shanties" despite that term originating in the 19th century.

Drunken Sailer is my favorite available in the poll, although I am a fan of Spanish Ladies (Jaws, anyone?) and Runnin' Down to Cuba.

These were a great addition to the game.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Voted Drunken sailor

But back in the 60s and early 70 there was a popular folk/ pop group in the UK called "The Spinners " who had a number of nautical numbers in their repertoire

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

None of the above. I prefer some of Al Stewart's stuff;

Old Admirals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59BeWSmPkCk

Hanno the Navigator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ7RD7ebZUA

and there are others of this ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
    None of the above. I prefer some of Al Stewart's stuff;

Old Admirals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59BeWSmPkCk

Hanno the Navigator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ7RD7ebZUA

and there are others of this ilk.
    I am familiar with Al Stewart's more popular songs, like Roads to Moscow, but had never heard these before. Thanks for posting.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'd like to put a mention in for a recent phenomenon in the UK The Fisherman's Friends; a group of Cornishmen from Port Isaac, mostly working fishermen, who sing all kinds of sea associated songs. I have seen them in concert and briefly met them afterwards and must say you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bunch of chaps. Sadly they were touched by tragedy last year when one of their members and their manager were killed while on tour, which curtailed their performances but I am hoping that they eventually get back to singing.

You might also enjoy this one, which while not a sea shanty, is IMHO still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYA_0R7Vw1s
    Last edited by KeithS; 01-20-2014 at 12:18.

Now that was pleasing to the ears. Thanks Keith.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Just an addition to my post on The Fisherman's friends, they were guest singers at the UK 2014 Folk Awards last night singing a medley of sea shanties. http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e24mxj/acts/a45hzc#p01skry5