Thread: Hello everyone.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

Default Hello everyone.

I´m a new member from Spain. I used to play a lot of Wings of war, but since they stopped publishing it and because Wings of Glory has never been released in my country (also they don´t ship to Spain) I decided to join the Kickstarter and add something new to my game collection.

I have been interested in naval battles since I read the book “El combate perpetuo” about the first admiral of the Argentinian fleet William Brown and when I discovered Blas de Lezo and the War of Jenkins' Ear.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Welcome aboard Alberto.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome aboard Alberto.

Send me a private message if you ever desire WoG planes. We could look into buying them here and shipping them to you.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Ahoy Alberto. Welcome from Washington State.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings and welcome to the Anchorage, Alberto.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Welcome!!!

Welcome Alberto, tell us about your avatar.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Alberto.

Howdy Alberto. Welcome from Arizona.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

First of all thank you all for this friendly welcome.
    Daniel, my Avatar is the admiral Blas de Lezo, one of the best admirals of the Spanish fleet, knew as the Halfman because he lost one eye, one hand and one foot. He´s famous for the battle of Cartagena de Indias, that took part in the War of Jenkins' Ear. In that battle with only six ships and around 4 to 5 thousand men won against 186 British ships with at least 27,400 military personnel.
    The King George II was so sure of the victory that ordered to made commemorative medals. But the victory was n Lezo´s side cussing heavy losses to the British empery. Once the King knew about the defeat, he orbade to talk or write about it. If I have time, one day I try to write all I know about this incredible battle.
    And Eric, thank you and I will send you a message after my economy recovers from this Kickstarter.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Cool

Alberto, I would very much like to read a post in the Historical forum on this interesting character you know a lot about.

Bonjour, Alberto.

Welcome on board.

Nice to see another Spanish Captain here. :g&t:

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

Thank you very much Sven
    I haven't met the other Spaniard yet

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Ahoy and welcome!

I actually read about the "ear" incident recently while brushing up on the history of the fort at St. Augustine, Florida. I grew up in central FL and our family visited the fort a few times and I've gone back there as an adult as well. I am considering it an interesting "terrain piece" option down the road.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

Hello Lawrence
    Fisrt of all say that Florida is such a lovely place (I’ve been there 2 times) and there is a lot of history there, but unfortunately is not studied here in Spain and is a pity because was very important for the Spanish crown for almost 3 centuries.
    I’m working in a post of that war and it will be great if you have photos to post there.
    Thank you in advanced

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Willkommen, welcom, Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by Blas de Lezo View Post
    First of all thank you all for this friendly welcome.
    Daniel, my Avatar is the admiral Blas de Lezo, one of the best admirals of the Spanish fleet, knew as the Halfman because he lost one eye, one hand and one foot. He´s famous for the battle of Cartagena de Indias, that took part in the War of Jenkins' Ear. In that battle with only six ships and around 4 to 5 thousand men won against 186 British ships with at least 27,400 military personnel.
    The King George II was so sure of the victory that ordered to made commemorative medals. But the victory was n Lezo´s side cussing heavy losses to the British empery. Once the King knew about the defeat, he orbade to talk or write about it. If I have time, one day I try to write all I know about this incredible battle.
    And Eric, thank you and I will send you a message after my economy recovers from this Kickstarter.
    Alberto
    Thank you so much for enlightening me on a piece of history I knew little about, probably due to Anglo-Saxon background they didn't mention the defeats too often! I love the Halfman name, sounds like a character from Game of Thrones

I read up on his biography on Wiki, what an impressive career, great choice of Avatar.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

Hello Daniel
    If there is something that I really envy the British is how much they loved their history, because in Spain we do the opposite, we know our defeats and ignore our victories.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hello Daniel
    If there is something that I really envy the British is how much they loved their history, because in Spain we do the opposite, we know our defeats and ignore our victories.
    In the U.S., there are those who only find fault with American victories, and completely ignore any service the U.S. has ever rendered to others. In some circles, to be a patriot is a dirty word. I do not mean to suggest that the U.S. is blameless, nor do I undermine or undervalue the service of others to the U.S. or with the U.S. I simply do not understand the utter national-loathing of some here.

Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

Stephen Decatur

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

Stephen Decatur
    Sadly, you would probably be expelled from school, if not arrested, if you wore that on a t-shirt today.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Sadly, you would probably be expelled from school, if not arrested, if you wore that on a t-shirt today.
    Probably in Illinios. Most of Texas is still pretty conservative (Although you could replace "our country" with "Texas" much of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Probably in Illinios. Most of Texas is still pretty conservative (Although you could replace "our country" with "Texas" much of the time.)
    Let's not forget Arizona who walks side by side with the beliefs of "conservative Texas". Even though we get into more trouble with the Feds.
    Last edited by Gunner; 04-24-2013 at 01:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Let's not forget Arizona who walks side by side with the believes of "conservative Texas". Even though we get into more trouble with the Feds.
    Here lately Texas has been in Arizona's shadow.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

I love to read how you see your country. And as in every place, is divided between liberals and conservatives.
    And is not like no one knows who wrote our history, is just that everyone knows what the Spanish Armada La armada invencible is (the expedition that lost most of their ships trying to conquer England) but they ignore who Blas de Lezo was. If you ask to an historian of course he knows, but is not taught in the school.
    Last edited by Blas de Lezo; 04-24-2013 at 01:57.

Spain was the most powerful nation of Europe, possibly even the world, for a very long time, it is a shame that isn't recognised and given a place of pride in your country.

I love to read how you see your country. And as in every place, is divided between liberals and conservatives.
    And unfortunately a large group that just goes with the flow, thinking problems will fix themselves.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    And unfortunately a large group that just goes with the flow, thinking problems will fix themselves.
    "United we stand, divided we fall." Still rings true today. Those who came before us knew the perils and faced them down.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    "United we stand, divided we fall." Still rings true today. Those who came before us knew the perils and faced them down.
    Unfortunately, when you have two groups, for example liberals and conservatives as in the U.S., that continually move in opposite directions, eventually they will see each other as the peril. I fear what type of common enemy would be required to unite the U.S. I imagine this is true of other nations as well.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Alberto

As you Said Eric, is the same in every country.
    Many of the wars that are declared have a component to unite the country against an enemy. It happens to the roman empery with the expansions campaigns (to have the generals abroad), the crusades (to unite Europe with a common goal) the Spanish Dutch wars (to avoid a civil war by reviving the spirit of the Reconquista) etc.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Hello, welcome to the group!!!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

Hiyas! Welcome from Pensacola FL!