Thread: A Sea of Words, 3rd Edition: A Lexicon and Companion... to seafaring tales

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Default A Sea of Words, 3rd Edition: A Lexicon and Companion... to seafaring tales

Submit a Book Review
    Book Title:
    A Sea of Words, 3rd Edition: A Lexicon and Companion... to seafaring tales
    Author:
    Dean King
    ISBN:
    0-8050-6615-2
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    Can you tell me the "Lee" side of a ship? Have you ever tried "Monkey's blood?" (I bet you have), Do you know what it means to "brail up" a sail, or where the "main topgallant royal" is located on a ship?...

Well the answer these and countless other nautical questions related to the age of sail can be found in this fine dictionary entitled "A Sea of Words, A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian". The is the perfect book to aid the reader of nautical fiction. Even if you are not a Patrick O'Brian fan, this 502 page book will be extremely handy for the "landsman" like myself, if only to help those who will be playing SoG or frequenting this Forum, you can avoid many of the embarrassing "I don't know what that is" questions by picking up a copy of this book. Or, impress your forum buddies with your knowledge of nautical jargon. As dictionaries go, its a fun read and is filled with many drawings and diagrams. The book even includes a brief timeline of the Napoleonic Wars (from 1973 - 1818). I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by pward; 04-15-2013 at 04:46.