Thread: Solo Play rule development thread

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    Hi all, dont know if anyone is interested, but I have done a set of solo rules for SofG which are now on the files page here: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=97
    ..Or, the separate ship files and template are at: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/downloads.html
    I decided the original Wings of Glory solo rules I wrote were a good place to start, but have modified the basic system to make solo ships avoid going into the wind. The rules also account for crew allocation, boarding, etc - for standard and advanced rules users.
    I hope they are a helpful addition to the game!
    Hey Richard. There's actually discussion on our solo campaign thread about using your system for the year long campaign. Eric has linked your charts, etc. located in the files section. I know several members here have used them already and they've been pretty positive about how they work. I just downloaded the stuff today and will start looking them over soon. Thanks for supporting SoG with these rules.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As Jim said, thank you Richard for your effort in creating these rules and for sharing them with us.

As we proceed through the year, we'll be exploring amendments to the rules and maneuver charts. I look forward to working through what you have authored.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Yes, I had come across the discussion on the Campaign thread, I just thought it would be helpful for crewmembers who hadnt read it to be informed!!!

I think its good how you guys have added bits to the solo rules already produced, as it allows experienced players to shape the rules to what they need.
    A campaign will always need additional rules, as you know, as solo rules will always tend to be pitched at 'throw away games'. I believe this is how it should be.
    For example, my rules are incapable of balancing a game, it is the players responsibility to ensure the sides are balanced. The solo system will happily fight a Schooner against a first rate...it doesnt mind losing! - but it would be a pretty unrewarding game methinks!

In a campaign, I would probably balance battles using a points system, eg:

100 gun Ship of the Line : 6pts
    74 gun Ship of the Line : 4pts
    Frigate : 2pts
    Unrated : 1 pt

If one side outpoints another by 10%-15% , the smaller force will avoid battle on a 4+ (D6)
    If one side outpoints another by more than this, the smaller force will avoid battle.

Based on my 3 games so far played! - disagree if you want!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Default Ummm.....

I have just discovered this thread and must confess to missing something along the way.

As a solo player I am keen to see the development of solo rules, however, I am a tad confused with thee various tables that have been developed. Yes, I know, old age, war wounds, ADHD, they all add up!

Am I correct in assuming that the original table showing 12 sectors is indicating sectors 1-6 are to starboard and 7-12 are to port?

I get the die roll across the top but am unsure of the "Red" column, obviously referring to the cards with red borders.

My main difficulty is with the numbers in the grid. Originally I figure they referred to to the manoeuvre cards but I cannot see the connection. So, what exactly do they refer to and how are they applied?

I guess if that can be cleared up I can figure out the ABCD grid as well, at least I hope so.

Many thanks in advance for your kind patience with this senior citizen!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Jose, I downloaded this image from this page but it is hardly readable. I checked the files but did not see it. Is it possible to get a clearer version of it?

Cheers

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Apologies, I am referring to the Decision Diagram you posted.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Jose Manuel

Grretings Brad,

Here you have it with higher resolution:

This sheet is only part of my system. I have to made some moanoeuvre tables, but I haven't do it. I need some help for it from experienced players... The sheet gives you a different manoeuvre to use, and a provides a AI attitude with modifiers to the table dice roll.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Many thanks Jose!

Where you have used the terms, Even Battle, and Odd Full, This does mean odd or even on a dice throw? And the numbers in green, what do they apply to?

I regret my experience with the game is not sufficient to offer any help on the manoeuvre tables, but I look forward to seeing them.

Cheers

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Brad, this is the set of charts we're currently using in the solo campaign: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=84

They simplify positioning, and once you play a few turns, it becomes quite easy to figure out the three-letter code.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Patrick

Default Early solo rules

Hi to Iron Outlaw, It's been so long since I did those hand written rules I had forgotten about them. Anyway, as they were a rip off of Herkybirds Wings of Glory system and he now has the "Real Thing", it's called Powder Monkey and is detailed above. I cannot recommend them enough, much better than mine.
    Have fun

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by StormforceX View Post
    Hi to Iron Outlaw, It's been so long since I did those hand written rules I had forgotten about them. Anyway, as they were a rip off of Herkybirds Wings of Glory system and he now has the "Real Thing", it's called Powder Monkey and is detailed above. I cannot recommend them enough, much better than mine.
    Have fun
    Thanks for the endorsement! - I had no problem with anyone using my WofG solo system for another game! - I came to SofG late as I had been put off by the cost, and was very interested in your rules, you provided a useable set which answered a need amongst so many players for a solo system, I salute you - I still consider 'Powder Monkey' a work in progress, and will be happy if someone can bring out something better, I would certainly play it!
    If anyone wants me to alter anything in PM, please let me know and I will try to incorporate it if it is a good change!

Happy gaming, and thanks again!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Many thanks guys and particularly Eric for that link. After reading page 2 it all makes sense now.

Back to sea!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Back again Eric

Could you just clarify for me the definition of the term "Quadrant" in the Rules section dealing with Manoeuvring. It mentions the relationship of a ship and the wind to a Quadrant.

With regard to the Veer numbers in the grid, am I correct in assuming that the slashes indicate the direction of turn for the AI Ship.

Looking at the "H" Deck of cards, they only run from 3 to 7. Am I again correct in assuming that in the instance where, say, a 9 is indicted, one uses the maximum 7 Card.

Think that's all for now.

Cheers

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Outlaw View Post
    Could you just clarify for me the definition of the term "Quadrant" in the Rules section dealing with Manoeuvring. It mentions the relationship of a ship and the wind to a Quadrant.
    Brad, in the rules section, the term quadrant refers to the quadrants as indicated on the maneuver chart.

With regard to the Veer numbers in the grid, am I correct in assuming that the slashes indicate the direction of turn for the AI Ship.
    If you're referring to the slashes accompanying the #5, they indicate the appropriate #5 card to play - \ = slipping to the port; | = straight ahead; / = slipping to starboard.

Looking at the "H" Deck of cards, they only run from 3 to 7. Am I again correct in assuming that in the instance where, say, a 9 is indicted, one uses the maximum 7 Card.
    Correct.

As you play, we welcome any feedback.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by StormforceX View Post
    Have fun
    Hi again!

I have done a Version 2 of the 'Powder Monkey' solo rules. I was informed by a player in the antipodes that he found solo run ships could end up zig-zagging if the enemy ship was between arcs.
    I have modified the rules to prevent that, and the ships more aggressive!

The composite rules are awaiting moderation as we speak!
    They will be on my club's website soon too http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/downloads.html

If you want them before them, I can send them direct, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for writing the solo rules, Richard.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for writing the solo rules, Richard.
    I am glad to share them! - I have (I think) deleted version 1 from the downloads page here, so only (I hope!) Version 2 will be available.
    I only hope this is the only problem people have found with Powder Monkey!!!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Richard, many thanks for those rule sets.

Am I correct in assuming the rules for 100+ Ships are to cover both 1st Rate, (100+), and 2nd Rate, (98), Ships?

And could you clarify the "Upwind/Downwind" rule. Do I read it as "The Enemy is Upwind (or Downwind) of me" or, "I am Upwind (or Downwind) of the Enemy?"

Cheers

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The text before says Enemy is upwind/downwind.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Thanks!

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Richard, many thanks for those rule sets.

Am I correct in assuming the rules for 100+ Ships are to cover both 1st Rate, (100+), and 2nd Rate, (98), Ships?

And could you clarify the "Upwind/Downwind" rule. Do I read it as "The Enemy is Upwind (or Downwind) of me" or, "I am Upwind (or Downwind) of the Enemy?"

Cheers
    Yes, the 100+ ship chart will cover 98s too. The determining factor between the different classes is the number of different turns in the set of cards. The difference in length of move is the difference in the different decks for these classes

And yes, as TexaS correctly answered, it's the ship the solo ship is fighting against, which has to be upwind/ downwind, and determines if the Red or Black lettered manoeuvre row is used on the chart

I assume you are still using version 1 of the rules. I can send you version 2 before it goes on the Files section here, or my clubs downloads page, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com and I will forward them.

Happy gaming!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I used version 1 this weekend trying solo-play for the first time.

I played the Solo Campaign's two first scenarios, but before that I tried it out just to get a hang of it. I managed to get into that zig-zagging on the first try. The second when I went "live" with making the AAR, the starting situation was different and I avoided that. On the other hand it was cut short by a broken mast and boarding. Still very much fun to play.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I used version 1 this weekend trying solo-play for the first time.

I played the Solo Campaign's two first scenarios, but before that I tried it out just to get a hang of it. I managed to get into that zig-zagging on the first try. The second when I went "live" with making the AAR, the starting situation was different and I avoided that. On the other hand it was cut short by a broken mast and boarding. Still very much fun to play.
    Yes, I hadn't noticed the Zig-Zag before as our ships were manoeuvering aggressively, thus moving us out of the solo ship's e/f rear arcs. The Zig only really surfaces if using the larger ships (74's and larger) as the frigates/unrated often turn side on to the players ship.
    Even my version 2 can cause a zig-zag in the unusual situation of a ship running straight downwind, but there is no way of avoiding this in my estimation, as any rule change risks ships that are running close to the wind turning towards the prevailing wind and backing sail, which the system tries to avoid!
    If the solo ship does a zig-zag, the player should move his ship to attack it, and this will usually make the solo ship react differently.
    Alternatively, just choose a card which will move the solo ship towards the nearest enemy ship, without going into the red zone (backing sail) - in the most direct way. This will replicate the way the solo system aims to work.

I hope this is helpful?

Ultimately, no solo system can ever play with the skill and foresight of a real player, and to some degree, players must try to work with the system.

EG: In the Wings of Glory solo's, players often swap a randomly generated manoeuvre card which doesnt seem realistic, with a more reasonable one. This should not occur often, but in my opinion is a good way to play WofG solo.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It is helpful, and it would be very hard to make a system that always work.
    I was still impressed with the resulting sailing.

I'm looking forward to version 2.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It is helpful, and it would be very hard to make a system that always work.
    I was still impressed with the resulting sailing.

I'm looking forward to version 2.
    Well, just E-Mail me and you can have it! - I promise not to abuse your E-Mail!!! richardbradley5@gmail.com

One thing that may alleviate the ziggy zaggy problem is the Veer manoeuvre values. As per the main SofG rules, if a ship tries to manoeuvre (x) points of veer more than the previous manoeuvre, that move is replaced by a straight.
    This would, at the very least, make the zig-zag more leasurely!

I am not sure when version 2 will be online, the anchorage took a long time to moderate and publish version 1, and my club downloads page is dependant on the availability of the very busy-with-work-and-family chap that runs it! - the site is: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/downloads.html
    Last edited by Herkybird; 03-16-2015 at 12:24. Reason: Link failure!

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Well, just E-Mail me and you can have it! - I promise not to abuse your E-Mail!!! richardbradley5@gmail.com

One thing that may alleviate the ziggy zaggy problem is the Veer manoeuvre values. As per the main SofG rules, if a ship tries to manoeuvre (x) points of veer more than the previous manoeuvre, that move is replaced by a straight.
    This would, at the very least, make the zig-zag more leasurely!

I am not sure when version 2 will be online, the anchorage took a long time to moderate and publish version 1, and my club downloads page is dependant on the availability of the very busy-with-work-and-family chap that runs it! - the site is: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/downloads.html
    The Version 2 rules are up on the Tyneside Wargames site downloads page now! Please give them a try and let me know what you think

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

The Version 2 rules are up on the Tyneside Wargames site downloads page now! Please give them a try and let me know what you think
    There is a modification I have had to add to PM2, as the fishtailing is STILL possible. My last game with new players proved that! http://herkybird-richardbradley.blog...t-try-out.html I have therefore done a version 2a which can be got from me by e-mail, or eventually on the files here, or at my club website, the link for which is above!

My apologies for the new version's appearance! - I am sure it will solve the problem this time!

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

There is a modification I have had to add to PM2, as the fishtailing is STILL possible. My last game with new players proved that! http://herkybird-richardbradley.blog...t-try-out.html I have therefore done a version 2a which can be got from me by e-mail, or eventually on the files here, or at my club website, the link for which is above!

My apologies for the new version's appearance! - I am sure it will solve the problem this time!
    The new version is up on my club's website at http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/downloads.html The new rule in the text just asks you to not dice for a manoeuvre when out of shooting range of the nearest enemy, or if you are going downwind with an enemy ship in the rear arc. You just choose as sharp a turn as you need to get the ship facing the nearest enemy ship without going into the wind.
    This works fine in the basic rules, in the Standard and Advanced, you have to work out the turn required based on the card already planned. Common sense really!
    In essence, just turn as a player would move his own ship, is the rule, and you won't go far wrong.
    Its not important for the solo system to generate moves when not in combat distance!, so it doesnt IMHO spoil the 'feel' of the AI movement. I actually think it speeds up the 'boring' bits of the game, when you are manoeuvering to get back into shooting range and arc.

But what do I know?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

downloaded the new Version and want to test it while easter.
    Thanks for sharing

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Robert

Hi all I have read through the solo rules and checked out the charts, looks really good, a lot of work to. I do have a few questions, I added a jpeg picture to help you all understand what I am asking. You will see from my questions below that I am very new to all of this and some of the questions may be a little silly.

1. First I am using the basic rules, battle masts and single ball shot, all ships are frigates.

2. As you can see in the picture I have that nice little yellow chart around my ship, is this correct?

3. if I am using the chart rite than the AI ship is mostly in zone H and a little in zone G so I should go with zone H I think.

4. When looking at the frigate chart or any other chart going across zone H there are 7 cards that can be used, I than role the dice to see what card the AI plays in row H?

5. This may be a really dumb question, Since a single D6 only has 6 numbers and the chart has 7 how will the 7th card ever get played?

Thanks to all you guys for your time, I can't wait to get the game it should be here in a few days and I just wanted to get a head start on understanding the rules. If you have any questions please ask.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Hi there!

You are right that the measurement of angle is from mainmast to mainmast between the shooting and target ship. You have the template on correctly, the brown handle is always to the ship model's rear.
    You choose the letter from the template, then use the Black ( H in this case ) letter, as the enemy ship is downwind of the testing ship. Were it upwind, you would use the column with the Red H.
    When throwing the D6 to determine which manoeuvre is chosen, you add 1 to the result if the ship is on fire or leaking, which you only use in the Advanced rules, and reduce the score by 1 if the ships are within 1/2 a rulers distance (IE-close enough for double shot in the Standard or Advanced rules)

I really hope this is helpful to you, and you really enjoy playing with the system!
    Last edited by Herkybird; 10-08-2016 at 15:15. Reason: I got it wrong!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I totally agree Richard.
    Getting the ships back into killing distance is the important factor, what they do then is the interesting bit.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Robert

Thanks Richard for your very quick, clear and easy to understand answer. I am shore this system will work great, I will be shore to let you know how it goes, thanks again.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Always glad to help from this side of the pond! Happy gaming!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Robert

I just got my copy of SOG and had my first 1 on 1 battle, me in the 74 gun French ship Generuex and the AI in the 74 gun British ship HMS Defence, I lost that battle, I never even got to the end of the map before that nasty Brit got me, lol.

I will have to do more testing but it appears the system works really well if I am doing it rite.

I do have a question on my movement, should I be choosing 2 movement cards in solo mode or 1, I choose 2 in this first battle.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebob View Post
    I just got my copy of SOG and had my first 1 on 1 battle, me in the 74 gun French ship Generuex and the AI in the 74 gun British ship HMS Defence, I lost that battle, I never even got to the end of the map before that nasty Brit got me, lol.

I will have to do more testing but it appears the system works really well if I am doing it rite.

I do have a question on my movement, should I be choosing 2 movement cards in solo mode or 1, I choose 2 in this first battle.
    In the basic rules, you just choose 1 and play it straight away, in Standard/Advanced, you still choose 1 card in the planning phase, but you play it next turn, after the card you chose last planning phase.
    The solo system will work best if only 1 card is chosen each turn. I hope this helps?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Robert

Thanks Richard for that quick response, I played 2 cards that may explain why the British ship was not even half way through the damage log and I was dead, I guess by playing 2 cards it would be difficult for me to win as I am locked into a move which may not make sense. Either way the system appears to work.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Still to play test ver 2 Richard. Hope to soon when I get time to play the two opening scenarios in the 2016 solo campaign.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Good luck, its definitely playable now with the bugs worked out of it!

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Soto

I don't understand. The template must be used in my ship or in the AI ship? The black letter is when the AI ship is upwind from my ship or not? Please, ii don't know how use the e-f manoeuvres. Sorry for my english.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome aboard Soto. Do introduce yourself to your other shipmates by signing in on the Ahoy thread.
    The solo template is placed on the AI ship. If the enemy ship is upwind of your solo run ship use the red letters.
    Your English seems fine to me.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Soto

Then, the response by Herkybird to LitleBob is wrong, look at the picture by Littlebob and the response by Herkybird. My head is burning.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pepemanu3 View Post
    Then, the response by Herkybird to LitleBob is wrong, look at the picture by Littlebob and the response by Herkybird. My head is burning.
    OOPS! My apologies, I gave the wrong answer to littlebob, as Rob correctly said, the template is placed on the solo run ship, and the RED letter manoeuvres are used if the ship it is fighting is even slightly upwind of the solo ship
    Very sorry for the confusion, I have corrected the wrong response above.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think there is a mix up there between the ship being commanded by the player and the FI. Sorry Rich. Just saw your answer which came in whilst I was re reading your rules to make sure.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Soto

Thank you for your help

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your' welcome Soto.
    If you have any other questions just ask.
    There is usually someone here who has the answer.
    Rob.