HMS Royal Sovereign.

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
HMS Royal Sovereign.

Name:  hms-royal-sovereign-william-h-ravell-iii.jpg
Views: 7226
Size:  143.7 KB

Royal Sovereign was a 100-gun
first rateship of the line of the Royal Navy, which served as the flagship of AdmiralCollingwood at the Battle of Trafalgar. She was the third of seven Royal Navy ships to bear the name. Designed by Sir Edward Hunt, she was launched at Plymouth Dockyard on 11 September 1786, at a cost of £67,458, and was the only ship built to her draught. She was known by her crew as the "West Country Wagon" due to her poor maneuverability and speed.

Name:  junefirstpa01.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  187.9 KB

Royal Sovereign was part of Admiral
Howe's fleet at the Glorious First of June, where she suffered 14 killed and 41 wounded.

Name:  cornwallis.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  22.0 KB
Vice-Admiral William Cornwallis.

On 16 June 1795, as the flagship of Vice-Admiral
William Cornwallis, she was involved in the celebrated episode known as 'Cornwallis' Retreat'.


The first ship of the fleet in action at Trafalgar on 21 October 1805, she led one column of
warships; Nelson's Victory led the other. Due to the re-coppering of her hull prior to her arrival off Cádiz, Royal Sovereign was a considerably better sailer in the light winds present that day than other vessels, and pulled well ahead of the rest of the fleet.

Name:  bolton_stuart-h_m_s___royal_sovereign__approaching_~OM6c9300~10157_20130612_24227_59.jpg
Views: 3396
Size:  13.8 KB
Royal Sovereign approaches the French line.

Name:  collingwood.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  15.0 KB

Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood.

As she cut the enemy line alone and engaged the Spanish three decker
Santa Ana, Nelson pointed to her and said, 'See how that noble fellow Collingwood carries his ship into action!'

Name:  Edward_Rotheram.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  131.0 KB
Captain Edward Rotheram

At approximately the same moment, Collingwood remarked to his captain,
Edward Rotheram, 'What would Nelson give to be here?'

Name:  battle-of-trafalgar Royal Sov rakes Santa Anna..jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  31.7 KB
Royal Sovereign rakes Santa Ana.

Royal Sovereign and Santa Ana duelled for much of the battle, with Santa Ana taking fire from fresh British ships passing through the line, including
HMS Mars and HMS Tonnant, while nearby French and Spanish vessels fired on Royal Sovereign. Santa Ana struck at 14:15, having suffered casualties numbering 238 dead and wounded after battling Royal Sovereign and HMS Belleisle.

Name:  0877d00266f3b8d03e173d745b22dd15.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  23.2 KB
The Royal Sovereign lost her mizzen and mainmasts, her foremast was badly damaged and much of her rigging was shot away. At 2.20 pm Santa Ana finally struck to Royal Sovereign. Shortly afterwards a boat came from Victory carrying Lieutenant Hill, who reported that Nelson had been wounded. Realising that he might have to take command of the rest of the fleet and with his ship according to his report being "perfectly unmanageable", by 3 pm he signalled for the
frigateEuryalus to take Royal Sovereign in tow. Euryalus towed her round to support the rest of the British ships with her port-side guns, and became engaged with combined fleet's van under Pierre Dumanoir le Pelley, as it came about to support the collapsing centre. Fire from the lead ships shot away the cable between the Royal Sovereign and the Euryalus, and the latter ship made off towards Victory. Royal Sovereign exchanged fire with the arriving ships, until Collingwood rallied several relatively undamaged British ships around Royal Sovereign, and Dumanoir gave up any attempt to recover some of the prizes, and made his escape at 4.30pm.

Name:  220px-Sirhenryblackwood.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  15.6 KB
Captain Henry Blackwood.

At 4.40 pm one of Victory's boats, carrying Captain
Henry Blackwood and Lieutenant Hill, came alongside and Blackwood reported Nelson's death to Collingwood.

Name:  Collingwood_Cuthbert.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  16.4 KB

This left Collingwood in command of the fleet, and with a storm rising, and disregarding Nelson's final order to bring the fleet to anchor, Collingwood ordered Blackwood to hoist the signal to all ships to come to the wind on the starboard tack, and to take disabled and captured ships in tow. Royal Sovereign was by now almost or totally unmanageable and virtually uninhabitable.
As she had most of her masts shot away she could not make signals.
Having his ship too much disabled by enemy fire at just before of 6 pm Collingwood, who had succeeded Nelson in command of the fleet had to transfer himself and his flag to the
frigate Euryalus, while Euryalus sent a cable across and took Royal Sovereign in tow for second time. At the end of the action Collingwood signalled from the frigate to the rest of the fleet to prepare to anchor. HMS Neptune took over the tow on 22 October, and was replaced by HMS Mars on 23 October. Royal Sovereign had lost one lieutenant, her master, one lieutenant of marines, two midshipman, 29 seamen, and 13 marines killed, and two lieutenants, one lieutenant of marines, one master's mate, four midshipman, her boatswain, 69 seamen, and 16 marines wounded.

Name:  _hms_royal_sovereign_emerging_from_her_refit.jpg
Views: 3944
Size:  8.9 KB
Royal Sovereign emerging from Plymouth after her refit.

Royal Sovereign returned to duty in the Mediterranean the next year and remained on the blockade of Toulon until November 1811, when she was ordered to return home to the
Channel Fleet. In 1812 and 1813 she was under the command of Rear Admiral James Bissett serving under Admiral Keith.

She was credited with the capture on 5 August 1812 of the American ship Asia, of 251 tons, which had been sailing from St. Mary's to Plymouth with a cargo of timber. Royal Sovereign shared the proceeds of the capture with all the vessels in Keith's squadron, suggesting that what happened was that Asia sailed into Plymouth unaware that the
War of 1812 between Britain and the United States had broken out and was seized as she arrived, the formal credit going to the flagship. After her useful active life she was converted to harbour service as a receiving ship at Plymouth before being renamed HMS Captain on 17 August 1825. Hulked in June 1826, Captain was finally broken up at Plymouth, with work being completed on 28 August 1841. Four of her guns were saved and are incorporated in the Collingwood Memorial in Tynemouth.

Name:  d9696b331af54cef2132d7b9ecff3b42.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  12.5 KB

Name:  j2747.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  18.3 KB

Class and type:
100-gun first rateship of the line
Tons burthen:
2175 (bm)
183 ft 10 12 in (56.0 m) (gundeck)
52 ft 1 in (15.88 m)
Depth of hold:
22 ft 2 12 in (6.8 m)
Sail plan:
Full rigged ship
  • Gundeck: 28 × 32-pounder guns
  • Middle gundeck: 28 × 24-pounder guns
  • Upper gundeck: 30 × 12-pounder guns
  • QD: 10 × 12-pounder guns
  • Fc: 4 × 12-pounder guns


Submit "HMS Royal Sovereign." to Digg Submit "HMS Royal Sovereign." to Submit "HMS Royal Sovereign." to StumbleUpon Submit "HMS Royal Sovereign." to Google



  1. KDz's Avatar
    Thanks for this post.
  2. Lieste's Avatar
    The 'top' photo seems to be the first Royal Sovereign, with the typical bow and sprit topsail of C17th ships. She was rebuilt once, and lost to fire in 1696.

    Her replacement was of a more modern form, lacking the extended beakhead and other details. She was still more ornate than the Trafalgar ship, and was, at the age of 22, was rebuilt ... it was this second incarnation of the second 100 gun ship which was Collingwood's flagship.

    Oddly this image also has a union flag, adopted in 1801, 105 years after she was burnt.