PDA

View Full Version : Possible Product For AA?

csadn
04-07-2013, 14:14
Looking at the system for marking off hit boxes for _SoG_, I realized "one good bump, and all those chits go everywhere, causing players to lose track of damage". So I'm wondering: Would it be practical to make an object which clips onto the top of the card, and can be slid along to indicate where the highest undamaged box is?

Cmmdre
04-07-2013, 14:24
I was thinking about a dab of mounting putty, blue tack. As long as it doesn't stain or damage in any way.:fixit:

The Barrelman
04-07-2013, 15:03
There is a lot going on in the space of a ship's log. That is a good idea for a divider. I will probably only leave the last box worth of damage filled and return all the remain chits back to the pool. If everything does get messed up, clean up will be quick.

Capt P
04-07-2013, 16:43
I get these "refirdgerator magnet" ad things in the mail for a number of different businesses.If a local pizza shop can do them how much must they cost? I think the biggest cost would be the boards but still can't be that much.

Devsdoc
04-07-2013, 16:58
Hi All,
I said this before Lamiate the ships-log cards and use a wet marker pen. Add the damage up, wipe old damage out and write new damage in the box(s). Put the chits back in the bag (Less chits). Firer a broadside cross it out. Load a broadside wipe it of the ships-log. Less on the table, less to go everywhere. At the end of the game wipe clean. Just an idea.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
04-07-2013, 18:35
Just an idea.

Just a good idea. Especially for conventions.

Diamondback
04-07-2013, 18:44
Something like a series of slide-rules stacked on the board flanking each other?

Beowulf03809
04-07-2013, 18:45
The laminate is the option I'm really considering but will decide after living with it for a while I think.

The Royal Hajj
04-07-2013, 19:56
I'm be working on some type of advanced ship mat, similar to my advanced cockpit and scout cockpit for Wings:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3320&d=1365385910

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3321&d=1365385911

Playing with the Standard rules today, we were often lifting up our preplanned maneuver to insure we were not breaking the maneuverability rating rule. Having the cards standing up so that you can see them will be a huge help. Bumping the ship mat (the ship log is actually just the row of guns and crew stats at the top) did disturb the damage chits a little, but nothing to mess the game up. Either having a recessed area for these, or doing the whole thing in a white acrylic to allow the use of dry erase markers as Rory suggested, might be the way to go for that little issue.

Andy Blozinski
04-07-2013, 20:38
While dry erase laminated sheets are coldly efficient, they are visually boring and also do not visually communicate as quickly. I think the idea of magnetic markers is cool. If you only leave damage chits on the relevant damage box, this doesn't just recycle counters back, it's also a blatant communication as to exactly where on the damage scale the ship is at. Quick and clear communication. While the cardboard chits at the damage point are used to keep the numerical damage record, a magnetic marker at the point of damage gives a 3-D emphasis of position. You could even make some very cool printed or even 3-D figure magnets.

7eat51
04-07-2013, 23:30
I'm be working on some type of advanced ship mat, similar to my advanced cockpit and scout cockpit for Wings...Playing with the Standard rules today, we were often lifting up our preplanned maneuver to insure we were not breaking the maneuverability rating rule. Having the cards standing up so that you can see them will be a huge help. Bumping the ship mat (the ship log is actually just the row of guns and crew stats at the top) did disturb the damage chits a little, but nothing to mess the game up. Either having a recessed area for these, or doing the whole thing in a white acrylic to allow the use of dry erase markers as Rory suggested, might be the way to go for that little issue.

Having read through the last few posts, I would very much like to see your version of an advanced ship mat. I agree with Andy concerning aesthetics. However, I would probably go the dry erase route at conventions, and have nicer mats for home. I think dry erase could be especially useful when running a large battle. It would enable folks to be a bit more mobile without fear of losing info.

Berthier
04-08-2013, 03:11
Might be possible to have a software app to manage some of the ship info, eminently erasable, eminently modifiable and can be graphically impressive. Something that could run on either ipad or android pads. Not being a programmer I cant say how difficult this would be but it's a simple data base with values being entered and changed, little or no processing of data more like an electronic piece of paper.

The Royal Hajj
04-08-2013, 08:11
Having read through the last few posts, I would very much like to see your version of an advanced ship mat. I agree with Andy concerning aesthetics. However, I would probably go the dry erase route at conventions, and have nicer mats for home. I think dry erase could be especially useful when running a large battle. It would enable folks to be a bit more mobile without fear of losing info.

I tend to overload on visuals at Cons, so for Wings, all of my players get Rotary Cockpits. I know I have the advantage of getting them at cost, but people at Cons love eye candy and it really draws them into a game that they might have otherwise walked right past.

The Barrelman
04-08-2013, 08:18
Might be possible to have a software app to manage some of the ship info, eminently erasable, eminently modifiable and can be graphically impressive. Something that could run on either ipad or android pads. Not being a programmer I cant say how difficult this would be but it's a simple data base with values being entered and changed, little or no processing of data more like an electronic piece of paper.

An app like this would be rather simple to program with the known values for all the ships. Would need updates to support new ships or rules. Could even add a random damage bit to pull chits from virtual bags. My problem would be the artwork, animations and if Ares would allow it.

But, it does take away from the physically visible items that could draw people over to a table at a Convention or FLGS.

7eat51
04-08-2013, 09:12
I tend to overload on visuals at Cons, so for Wings, all of my players get Rotary Cockpits. I know I have the advantage of getting them at cost, but people at Cons love eye candy and it really draws them into a game that they might have otherwise walked right past.

I think with many folks playing at a table, the probability of bumps with shifts to counters is high. If folks have to fix their stuff and figure out where things were, it could detract from their experience. I see your point - no pun intended. If new ship mats could secure chits sufficiently, I would go that way.

Devsdoc
04-08-2013, 16:32
Hi All,
I was only thinking on gaming terms, not how it would look. The idea of 20 plus Ship-logs with stacks of tokens on them make me think about knocking the table or catch them on a sleeve:erk:. Or moving around the table with your ships-log (if playing one to one ship). I would not wish to take away the eye candy from the game. Sorry! only trying to help.
Be safe
Rory

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 16:55
Hence my suggestion of sliders--clip 'em onto the board and each piece stays put until manually ratcheted up to the next notch. :)

csadn
04-08-2013, 19:04
Something like a series of slide-rules stacked on the board flanking each other?

Not quite like that -- more like an overglorified [ahem] paper-clip.

The Royal Hajj
04-08-2013, 19:41
Rory, no worries at all! Every idea is good to discuss as that is how more ideas are born! I thing the dry erase is also a good way to go. They do that in the Leviathans game and I really like it there.