PDA

View Full Version : On this day 5 April

7eat51
04-05-2013, 00:21
On the 5th of April 1805, the HMS Bacchante, a 20-gun French sixth rate captured by the HMS Endymion two years prior, was sailing near Havana, Cuba. Her captain, Charles Dashwood, was informed that several French privateers were harbored 25 miles west at Mariel. Unfortunately for the Bacchante, a 40-foot high tower protected the ships. The tower was armed with three long 24-pound guns, and had ample openings for musket fire. Dashwood sent Lieutenant Thomas Oliver and a force of 35 men to capture the tower. As the shore party approached land, the Spaniards opened fire at the British boats. The marines onboard disembarked and quickly scaled the tower, capturing the Spanish captain and the 30 soldiers under his command. By this time, however, the privateers already had set sail. Unable to take the French ships, Lieutenant Oliver proceeded to capture two schooners loaded with sugar.

For more information on today’s event:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dashwood_(Royal_Navy_officer)

The Barrelman
04-05-2013, 21:04
These are very informative. I salute you!

:salute:

7eat51
04-05-2013, 22:25
Thank you Ted. I am glad you find these beneficial. I enjoy researching and writing them - great way to learn. We have a nice little frigate engagement on the horizon for the 6th.

Beowulf03809
04-08-2013, 12:26
This is a cool scenario seed.

Once boarding actions (and hopefully small boats) rules are available, you can set this up nice. The tower would be a basic fortification. There are a couple merchant ships (the schooners) and some small (unrated?) French privateers in the harbor. The British player has control of HMS Bacchante.

Victory points would be awarded based on capturing / destroying the tower, capturing/damaging the privateers and capturing/damaging the merchant ships. The French player would receive VPs based on capturing/destroying/driving off the British ship, keeping control of the tower and for each French ship they can get out of port (with VPs based on type of ship and how damaged it is before it can escape).