PDA

View Full Version : Conventions?

The Barrelman
04-03-2013, 13:02
I did not know if there was going to be a dedicated area to discuss conventions like on the Aerodrome. But, I found this one that is somewhat close for me and looks like fun. Does Ares ever go to any of these or just the big shows of the year?

http://www.boardgamers.org/landing.shtml

If they want to get more mindshare, I would hope they start promoting in other sections of gaming like GenCon and the like. I never knew about this stuff 6 months ago and glad I did. Just want to try and get more interested in WoG and SoG. Need to kick that chicken and egg issue I read in another post. Get a vocal community so our FLGS will carry what we want and expose others to the Glory of it all.

:happy:

David Manley
04-03-2013, 13:25
In the UK at least Ares doesn't tend to attend shows, but the Aerodrome and others put on demo and parti games effectively on Ares' behalf. I would imagine the same will be so for the anchorage. And the Naval Wargames Society is hoping to be able to demo the game at its show at the Museum of Naval Firepower in Gosport at the end of June (Roberto was hopeful last time we e-chatted)

7eat51
04-03-2013, 13:50
I hope to introduce SoG as well as (re)introduce WoG to Flatcon, a smaller-scale convention in central Illinois. I am also going to setup some evenings at our FLGS, and at a Saturday event held at another game store in a nearby town. I think David is correct; we will be the face of SoG and WoG in smaller venues.

Sea Gull
04-03-2013, 15:05
You guys are lucky to have a FLGS. All I have is a small GW, which if you want 40K is very friendly, if not ... well too bad.

When I was in the UK we used to go to four or five shows a year. There were shops in the city where you could get the games you wanted, and the figures. Then GW started to sell only GW stuff, the other shops became standard toy shops or just closed down. My only face-to-face purchases nowadays are at Triples in May and Crisis in November, neither of which are in this country. Everything else is online. If I had a FLGS I'd support it. Unfortunately that chicken died before it could lay any eggs. :sad::cry:

The Royal Hajj
04-03-2013, 19:46
Areas has asked me and the Aerodrome group to run Sails demo games at Origins this year. We have eight, two hour events scheduled and approved. Ares is to supply us with two starter sets for these games. Ares is also going to be at GenCon again this year, so I know they will have the game being ran there.

At the smaller, regional and local cons, it's up to us players to man the guns :cannon:

tmon
04-09-2013, 23:20
Has Areas thought of Historicon? http://www.historicon.org

Cmmdre
04-09-2013, 23:23
Good call tmon. That would be an excellent venue for SGN.

The Barrelman
04-10-2013, 07:02
That would be a good convention to demo the SGN tmon. And welcome to the site!!

7eat51
04-10-2013, 08:29

Welcome aboard Tom. Head on over to the Welcome Aboard forum sometime and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you.
http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

Beowulf03809
04-10-2013, 10:38
I have friends that make the trip down to Historicon to play FoW. I just can't swing the funds and time for that but they have always talked about it being a great experience.

daledavis67
04-15-2013, 08:01
There are also Cold Wars and Fall-In in Lancaster, PA. Historicon is in July in Fredericksburg, VA but the game won't be out by then. I am planning on running a game or 2 at Fall-In in November. Head over to HMGS here (http://www.hmgs.org/eastcons.htm) to check them out.

Cmmdre
04-15-2013, 08:08
Maybe Ares will have someone at Historicon running a game for the curious that don't know about SoG yet.

daledavis67
04-15-2013, 08:11
That would be great. I would be in.

DeRuyter
04-15-2013, 08:40
There are also Cold Wars and Fall-In in Lancaster, PA. Historicon is in July in Fredericksburg, VA but the game won't be out by then. I am planning on running a game or 2 at Fall-In in November. Head over to HMGS here (http://www.hmgs.org/eastcons.htm) to check them out.

I'll be there. Since the bicentenial of the Battle of Lake Erie is in September I hope to run that at Fall-In in November. Assuming I finish building all the ships (15mm scale) in time that is! :dazed:

Eric

daledavis67
04-15-2013, 09:06
I want to run a big Merchant, Pirate, Sailor, Spy SoG game at Fall-In. I think I will get a good turn-out. Every game will play differently. Sides are selected by playing card draw.

Cpt Kangaroo
04-17-2013, 19:10
Hurricon will be covered, with at least 3 sessions, probably more depending on turnout.

http://hmgs-south.com/

Ares is aware and are happy to have a representation.

The timing should be perfect if the ships arrive in August as planned.

My plan is to use the Mauritius campaign as the backdrop.

Are there any others from the Anchorage planning to attend?

Drop me a line and I will share more!

GreenLaborMike
04-18-2013, 09:48
Areas has asked me and the Aerodrome group to run Sails demo games at Origins this year. We have eight, two hour events scheduled and approved. Ares is to supply us with two starter sets for these games. Ares is also going to be at GenCon again this year, so I know they will have the game being ran there.

At the smaller, regional and local cons, it's up to us players to man the guns :cannon:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Origins this year, otherwise I'd be the first to sign up!

It would be great if Anchorage members who are planning to attend a convention and run events could list them here (or perhaps a new thread). It would be helpful for those of us who have not attended a game convention in years (or ever).

daledavis67
04-18-2013, 10:08
I am planning on running games of SoG and WGF in Lancaster, PA at Fall-In, in November, and Cold Wars, in March. I will also be running games in Fredericksburg, VA , in July, at Historicon. I have emailed with Ares to ask about support for those. I will be running games whether or not I have support.

Nightmoss
04-18-2013, 12:42
Michael, GenCon event registration is slated to open on May 19th. If there's anything listed for Sails of Glory I'll try to remember to post it here for your information. It's kind of dependent on SoG being available for sale and whether they'll be running demos of the real game or some prototypes in the Dealers Hall?

Avi
04-21-2013, 07:30
envy ...:envy:

I need to press-gang my nephews to have opponents...

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 10:36
I was at the Adepticon, Lombard, IL, yesterday to talk with a group from the Aerodrome who were putting on a WoG demo. Nice people, they invited everyone on SoG to join the Aerodrome, if for nothing else to connect with other hobbyists. I'd never heard of this Con so one to add to the list, for the Illinois group. This con seems to be a Warhammer 40K focused event, but all the demos were along the main corridors in the convention area.

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 10:37
envy ...:envy:

I need to press-gang my nephews to have opponents...

I force my two boys, but they get over it once things get started.

7eat51
04-21-2013, 23:40
I was at the Adepticon, Lombard, IL, yesterday to talk with a group from the Aerodrome who were putting on a WoG demo. Nice people, they invited everyone on SoG to join the Aerodrome, if for nothing else to connect with other hobbyists. I'd never heard of this Con so one to add to the list, for the Illinois group. This con seems to be a Warhammer 40K focused event, but all the demos were along the main corridors in the convention area.

Via the Aerodrome, the group gets together every other month or so. We met in Aurora in March. If you check out the Aerodrome, look for Illinois Scramble announcements. I will post these get togethers on this site as well.

Naidirem
05-09-2013, 09:05
I hope to introduce SoG as well as (re)introduce WoG to Flatcon, a smaller-scale convention in central Illinois. I am also going to setup some evenings at our FLGS, and at a Saturday event held at another game store in a nearby town. I think David is correct; we will be the face of SoG and WoG in smaller venues.

I plan on trying to make it to Flatcon this year but I really wish they'd quit having it on my wedding anniversary.

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 09:32
GenCon has published a preliminary event listing here. It's a pdf file and a "living" document so there's going to be much more added in the following days. Registration for events opens on May 19th, I believe.

I saw nothing listed for Ares Games and Sails of Glory, but I went through the list quickly. Only say one "Wings" event being sponsored by NOVAG.

http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/pmcompletecatalogs/entry345723.aspx

rcshield
05-12-2013, 09:39
I have also scanned for sails of glory events but have not seen anything yet. The list does get updated daily though. I will keep looking.

7eat51
05-12-2013, 18:57
I plan on trying to make it to Flatcon this year but I really wish they'd quit having it on my wedding anniversary.

I'm sorry Mark, but what could be more romantic than killing orcs, shooting down planes, sinking ships, etc. This seems to be the perfect wedding anniversary getaway, no?

When you have a moment, please stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

We currently reside in Bloomington. Let me know if you're up to gaming sometime - WoG, SoG, RPG, etc. There is also an Illinois thread for upcoming events: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1072-Illinois-and-Neighboring-States

Naidirem
05-15-2013, 18:43
Will do. I haven't gotten Wings of Glory yet but it is on my list. My buddy is a teacher up in Normal at Parkside, I think, and he just organized a family tabletop game day this month. I missed it but I'll get him interested in Wings of Glory quick as possible.

I'm also waiting to see who'll be at GenCon and if there will be any pickup games of Sails, if out, and Wings.

7eat51
05-15-2013, 21:57
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here is the Aerodrome link to the Origin schedule for WoG and SoG: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?12622-Origins-2013-Roll-Call

Nightmoss
05-20-2013, 09:19
Event registration for GenCon 2013 is now live. I only see five events for Wings of Glory (four of which appear to be sold out already), and nothing at all for Sails of Glory. Ares is not listed as an 'event' publisher/system so perhaps they don't approach the convention circuit the same way that others do. Realistically Sails may not be out in time for GenCon if they have any manufacturing problems in China. Incidentally, it looks like the X-Wing minis game has already sold out on every event currently listed.

More events may be added in the coming weeks, but if it's like last year that may not occur.

PirateBlake
05-20-2013, 14:53
I am plotting to run both a WGF and SoG games at MillenniumCon in November, currently it is the largest gaming con in Texas. I hope it will attract former WGF pilots and introduce both games to more gamers!

Coog
05-20-2013, 15:46
I am plotting to run both a WGF and SoG games at MillenniumCon in November, currently it is the largest gaming con in Texas. I hope it will attract former WGF pilots and introduce both games to more gamers!

I'm at Millennium each year and should be back this year. As it gets closer, we can make some plans if you want some help there.

PirateBlake
05-20-2013, 16:34
Now that would be cool, Bobby. Lets plot together. Does that make it a conspiracy if 2 or more plot something together :happy:

Coog
05-20-2013, 16:55
Now that would be cool, Bobby. Lets plot together. Does that make it a conspiracy if 2 or more plot something together :happy:

If you feel like a road trip before then in two or three months, there is a monthly event in Plano called Dallas Games Marathon. It is open gaming so you can run games whenever and as much as you want for 6+ hours Friday evening, 14+ hours on Saturday, and 6+ hours Sunday afternoon. Lots of folks show up so there is never any problem finding players for a game or getting into someone else's game. Let me know if you are interested. Here's a link to it:

http://dallasgamesmarathon.com/

PirateBlake
05-20-2013, 16:59
Howdy Bobby,

The link says the event was this past weekend. :hmmm:

Coog
05-20-2013, 17:04
Howdy Bobby,

The link says the event was this past weekend. :hmmm:

That was for this month. There's one every month, on the third weekend. There is a schedule on the site.

PirateBlake
05-20-2013, 17:11
Ok cool. I was up at Texicon in Ft Worth this past weekend. Did some WFG, two games. Next year will be running SoG!

Coog
05-20-2013, 17:24
Ok cool. I was up at Texicon in Ft Worth this past weekend. Did some WFG, two games. Next year will be running SoG!

I had thought about Texicon but DGM was much less costly and I was able to play in 10 games. I think Texicon would do a whole lot better if they if tried to be more like Millennium with the gaming being held at a hotel with reasonable rates and parking.

PirateBlake
05-20-2013, 17:42
Ten games that's great! They are going to move to another location next year but it is not finalized yet. Parking was crazy but they were giving free passes for parking if you left the garage before 6pm Friday. Otherwise the lots are free on the weekend but you still had to walk 2 blocks to get to Norris

csadn
05-20-2013, 17:47
Last time I attended GenCon, it was in Milwaukee....

Hmmmm....

7eat51
05-20-2013, 17:49
Last time I attended GenCon, it was in Milwaukee....

Hmmmm....

Late '70s for me.

Nightmoss
05-20-2013, 18:28
Late '70s for me.

Well, it's quite a bit larger than it ever was in Milwaukee (a turnstile attendance record of 134,775, including more than 41,000 unique attendees in 2012). I rather like the location in Indy even though Milwaukee was a short drive away for me. If you don't like crowds I don't think you'll enjoy GenCon these days. Vendor room is very crowded, but I've never attended a Con where you have so many chances to try new games or play old ones with other enthusiastic gamers. If you can even go for a day it's worth the experience to see so many folks having a blast. Unfortunately, unless you already made arrangements or have friends living in Indy the downtown hotels pretty much sold out 45 minutes after they opened up housing.

Capt P
05-22-2013, 15:05
Dale I will see you at Fall In. I and an old friend always attend Cold Wars/Historicon and Fall In. I hate driving the Beltway so found a backway to 83 than off at York to Lancaster. Its a quiet drive. I wish they would go back the the Eisenhower Inn in Gettysburg as it is a bit closer than Lancaster. Enjoyed meeting old friends there and having lunch at O'Rokes in town (they have good Rubens).

PirateBlake
05-27-2013, 07:51
Hey Coog, they have opened registration for GMs for MillenniumCon, you want to start plotting? If so PM me.