PDA

View Full Version : Osprey - British Frigate vs French Frigate - 1793 - 1814

Horatio
04-02-2013, 10:07
Don't know if this has been posted before but it looks like the ideal book for a novice like me who will only be fighting small scale actions.
Due out in May (pretty good timing) here is the Osprey write up:

Duel 52
Author: Mark Lardas
Illustrator: Peter Dennis
About this book
In the Age of Fighting Sail (1650–1820), ambitious officers of the navies of many nations sought command of a frigate. Speedy, nimble and formidably armed, frigates often operated independently, unlike the larger ships of the line. Legendary sailors such as Edward Pellew and Charles-Alexandre Léon Durand, Comte de Linoise, found that commanding such a ship offered numerous opportunities for wealth. In this book, four representative frigate duels are examined: first, a battle fought between two closely matched ships (HMS Nymphe (36) vs La Cléopâtre (32); second, a victory won by an inferior British frigate over a superior French frigate (HMS Pallas (32) vs Minerve (40); third, a victory – the only one – by an inferior French frigate over a superior British frigate (HMS Ambuscade (32) vs Baïonnaise (24), and fourth, victory of a superior British frigate over an inferior French frigate (HMS Indefatigable (44) of Hornblower fame vs La Virginie (40). Featuring specially commissioned artwork and offering expert analysis, this study provides a vivid account of the bloody combats fought by the most romantic warship of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic era – the frigate.
Contents
Introduction
Chronology
Design and Development
Technical Specifications
The Combatants
The Strategic Situation
Combat
Statistics and Analysis
Further Reading
Index

Sea Gull
04-02-2013, 12:27
Thanks for that. I'll have to remember to keep a look out for it come May.

Beowulf03809
04-02-2013, 13:40
Sounds like a nice one. I have several Osprey books for WWII and have typically really liked how the publisher covers a subject.

7eat51
04-02-2013, 14:16
I have several duel series in AoS and WWI aviation. I generally like them. Quick, informative, often with nice photos or renderings. I imagine this one will serve as a good introduction as well. I like the four duel format - mixing up the different types of duels based on strength.

Devsdoc
04-02-2013, 15:48
Hi All,
Ospery do a number of books about Action under Sail, I have:-

New Vanguard:-
42). British Napoleonic Ship-of-the -Line.
90). Napoleionic Naval Armaments 1792-1815.
161). Ships of the American Revolutionary Navy.
188). Great Lakes Warships 1812-1815.

Campaign:-

153). Toulon 1793
157). Trafalgar 1805.

Duel:-

9). Victory VS Redoutable.

Battle Orders:-

31). The Royal Navy 193-1815.

Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
04-02-2013, 15:49
Thanks for that lot Rory. It'll give me something to look at until the game becomes available.

Diamondback
04-02-2013, 18:50
Pretty POOR timing--it would have been MOST helpful if it had come out six months ago, trying to find near-sisters for the Concorde-class for Andrea to consider as Side B's and reprints.

Should still be a useful resource, though...

Devsdoc
04-02-2013, 19:30
I lernt from a friend in the book trade, that not all the books on Ospery's book list are in print at one time. He said around 1/2 are not around. So they keep adding new books and do some re-runs of some of the older books. So if you see one you want Buy it I wanted the "American Heavy Frigates 1794-1826" Had in my hand, put it back to buy "British Ships of the Line". Not seen it again, cannot get it. He has been looking for me for 2 years now no luck.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
04-02-2013, 20:04
Hey Guys, I will update my album of books I own. If you ever need any info from any I have, let me know. I will be happy to look things up for you.

Rory, I have learned the hard way when it comes to books and games - especially minis - whenever I waste time debating about spending a few bucks, I regret it. I can always cut something out if need be - no Starbucks for a week, that kind of stuff. I can always get my wife a second job.

David Manley
04-02-2013, 22:01
trying to find near-sisters for the Concorde-class for Andrea to consider as Side B's and reprints..

I don't know, it didn't take all that long using whats available now :)

The Royal Hajj
04-02-2013, 22:03
Thanks for the heads up on this one... I just pre-ordered it from Amazon.

RichardPF
04-03-2013, 00:10
Hey Guys, I will update my album of books I own. If you ever need any info from any I have, let me know. I will be happy to look things up for you.

Rory, I have learned the hard way when it comes to books and games - especially minis - whenever I waste time debating about spending a few bucks, I regret it. I can always cut something out if need be - no Starbucks for a week, that kind of stuff. I can always get my wife a second job.

So, I take it your wife never looks at this site...

Jack Aubrey
04-03-2013, 03:26
Don't know if this has been posted before but it looks like the ideal book for a novice like me who will only be fighting small scale actions.
Due out in May (pretty good timing) here is the Osprey write up:

Duel 52
Author: Mark Lardas
Illustrator: Peter Dennis
About this book
In the Age of Fighting Sail (1650–1820), ambitious officers of the navies of many nations sought command of a frigate. Speedy, nimble and formidably armed, frigates often operated independently, unlike the larger ships of the line. Legendary sailors such as Edward Pellew and Charles-Alexandre Léon Durand, Comte de Linoise, found that commanding such a ship offered numerous opportunities for wealth. In this book, four representative frigate duels are examined: first, a battle fought between two closely matched ships (HMS Nymphe (36) vs La Cléopâtre (32); second, a victory won by an inferior British frigate over a superior French frigate (HMS Pallas (32) vs Minerve (40); third, a victory – the only one – by an inferior French frigate over a superior British frigate (HMS Ambuscade (32) vs Baïonnaise (24), and fourth, victory of a superior British frigate over an inferior French frigate (HMS Indefatigable (44) of Hornblower fame vs La Virginie (40). Featuring specially commissioned artwork and offering expert analysis, this study provides a vivid account of the bloody combats fought by the most romantic warship of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic era – the frigate.
Contents
Introduction
Chronology
Design and Development
Technical Specifications
The Combatants
The Strategic Situation
Combat
Statistics and Analysis
Further Reading
Index

That was no good, this information, no good for my money! :erk: I`m sitting now here, find the series at amazon and thinks, which books I take first..:question:
Thank you :wink:

Berthier
04-03-2013, 03:48
Ulrich, man of a 1000 avatars, no-one knows what he truly looks like. Many are convinced he is a the son of an Admiral from the wrong side of the bed, educated at the Germany Naval Academy, destined for great things...but who really knows? His "true" avatar is known to none, his identity a state secret. Who is that masked man?:question::question::happy::happy:

Jack Aubrey
04-03-2013, 05:19
OK, I have added a picture of mine in my profile.....:shock:

Berthier
04-03-2013, 05:57
Ha! Good one!

7eat51
04-03-2013, 06:21
So, I take it your wife never looks at this site...

Only when I want to show her something, but I think she is starting to have concerns about me. This semester, I am working from home a lot, and when I take breaks, I usually pop on both sites for a few. It seems she always walks into the room at these times, so it looks like I am always here. I wouldn't be surprised if she enrolls me into a 12-step program for gamers.

7eat51
04-03-2013, 06:22
OK, I have added a picture of mine in my profile.....:shock:

And a beautiful one it is.

Sea Gull
04-03-2013, 06:29
Only when I want to show her something, but I think she is starting to have concerns about me. This semester, I am working from home a lot, and when I take breaks, I usually pop on both sites for a few. It seems she always walks into the room at these times, so it looks like I am always here. I wouldn't be surprised if she enrolls me into a 12-step program for gamers.

I've been on that program. Didn't work. They had this crazy notion of using 2D6 to determine the step you should be on. Of course I pointed out that the only results they'd get would be 2-12 and so a D12 would be better :fixit:. It went downhill from there. :minis::happy:

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 07:12
American Heavy Frigates 1794-1826 looks to be available as an ebook for about $10 or less.

I know I personally prefer sitting down with a real, physical book but at least it's an affordable option. I do not own a Nook/Kindle style reader yet but I have a number of ebooks on a portable drive that I view on my computer. Most are tech books since that's my job and major personal interest but I have a few historical and fictional as well. My only personal preference is I only go with open formats. When it comes to books, music or movies my personal stance is if I pay for something I will have full control of that media when and where I want it.

7eat51
04-03-2013, 07:36
I've been on that program. Didn't work. They had this crazy notion of using 2D6 to determine the step you should be on. Of course I pointed out that the only results they'd get would be 2-12 and so a D12 would be better :fixit:. It went downhill from there. :minis::happy:

Great. :happy:

For a similar experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaxnhIVKGbs

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 08:19

If I'm work from home or here at the office I often have this and a couple other sites up in tabs on a secondary browser. As I'm waiting for commands to execute, scripts to run, etc. I'll pop over, read and post. Those are always the time the boss comes by. Never when I'm digging thru logs, analyzing performance data, writing code, etc.

Devsdoc
04-04-2013, 11:22
I lernt from a friend in the book trade, that not all the books on Ospery's book list are in print at one time. He said around 1/2 are not around. So they keep adding new books and do some re-runs of some of the older books. So if you see one you want Buy it I wanted the "American Heavy Frigates 1794-1826" Had in my hand, put it back to buy "British Ships of the Line". Not seen it again, cannot get it. He has been looking for me for 2 years now no luck.
Be safe
Rory

I have orded my missing book today. Thanks to this site.
Be safe
Rory

Diamondback
04-04-2013, 11:44
Thanks for nudging me with the reminder that I needed to hoist my colors, too, guys. :)

7eat51
04-04-2013, 19:51
If I'm work from home or here at the office I often have this and a couple other sites up in tabs on a secondary browser. As I'm waiting for commands to execute, scripts to run, etc. I'll pop over, read and post. Those are always the time the boss comes by. Never when I'm digging thru logs, analyzing performance data, writing code, etc.

Yep. Great cartoon.

Thanks for nudging me with the reminder that I needed to hoist my colors, too, guys. :)

Interesting choice of avatar. I see we're going to have to keep an eye on you, which, I guess, is all many a crewman had at the time.

Devsdoc
04-07-2013, 01:33
Hi Don,
I got the book on Saturday. Thank you for you help. Must meet-up some day we are not too far apart
Be safe
Rory

Bligh
04-07-2013, 02:04
Looks as if I will have to do a bit more ordering now I've read this maties.
Bligh.

Horatio
04-07-2013, 07:16
Glad to be off help Rory
Where abouts in Dorset do you live?
Don

Hi Don,
I got the book on Saturday. Thank you for you help. Must meet-up some day we are not too far apart
Be safe
Rory

Bligh
04-07-2013, 08:33
Well that's mine ordered from Amazon.
Thanks for the heads up Don.
Bligh.

Devsdoc
04-07-2013, 09:01
Hi Don,
For us the wrong side, Christchurch. But have a van, ships, boards and open to try any rules. Only time is not my friend. If you wish to know more please P.M. me. look forward to hear from you.
Be safe
Rory