PDA

View Full Version : On this day 2 April

7eat51
04-02-2013, 06:50
On the 2nd of April 1801, the Battle of Copenhagen took place between British and Danish-Norwegian fleets. Under the command of Admiral Sir Hyde Parker, Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson oversaw the main assault. Unfortunately for Nelson, problems arose from the very beginning. HMS Agamemnon was unable to successfully turn into the channel and ran aground. Shortly thereafter, HMS Bellona and HMS Russell were grounded in the channel. Several of Nelson’s ships entered the channel, anchored, and engaged Danish ships and batteries nearby. For approximately two hours, both sides pounded each other with cannon fire.

Sir Hyde Parker’s ships found entering the fight to be problematic. The wind was not favorable to him, and fearing for Nelson, he gave a signal for the Vice-Admiral to disengage. Nelson, speaking to Colonel Stewart, commanding officer of the fleet’s soldiers, replied, “Do you know what’s shown on board of the commander in chief? Number 39, to leave off action! Leave off action! Now damn me if I do.” Turning to his flag captain, Nelson continued, “You know, Foley, I have only one eye. I have a right to be blind sometimes.” Raising his telescope to his blind eye, Nelson said, “I really do not see the signal.” Only Captain Riou responded to the signal to disengage. Not knowing that Nelson was standing fast, Riou withdrew from his attack on the Tre Kroner Fortress, only to be met with increased firing from the Danes. The retreat resulted in significant loss including Riou himself.

By 2 p.m., many of the Danish ships ceased firing due to damage, and the presence of Danish ship reinforcements rendered their shore batteries useless. The British turned their attention toward Copenhagen, sending toward the city bomb vessels. As Danish ships surrendered, the British sent boats to them, only to come under fire. Nelson, recognizing the absurdity of the action, sent a delegate, Captain Sir Frederick Thesiger, to Crown Prince Frederik with a note that stipulated if the Danes did not cease firing, Nelson would be powerless in protecting the floating batteries he captured. Nelson diplomatically responded that his intentions were in the cause of humanity, and that if he could secure reconciliation between Great Britain and Denmark, it would be his greatest victory. The next day, a treaty was negotiated resulting in an armistice.

Map of the Battle:

The Battle:

For more information on today’s event:
http://www.britishbattles.com/waterloo/battle-copenhagen.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen

Sea Gull
04-02-2013, 08:08
That last picture is a nice painting.

Beowulf03809
04-02-2013, 11:03
That last picture is a nice painting.

Agreed!

This is a nice example of engagements with shore and fleet. I admit...it's a BIG fleet, but scale down the distance and fleet sizes and you could have a nice scenario.

7eat51
04-02-2013, 14:19
The Danes employed floating batteries, another scenario possibility.

We could employ possibly something like this:

Cmmdre
04-02-2013, 21:18
Good stuff Eric. Really like the combination of historical fact and art from the scene. Your knowledge of naval history is excellent and educational. Can't get enough.

7eat51
04-02-2013, 22:06
Thanks Paul. I am glad you are finding these beneficial. They have been an enjoyable means of learning, and when I write, I remember so much more than I would from just reading.

Once the game is out, I would like to translate many of these daily events to scenarios, either historically accurate or adapted - all based on what ships are available.

When I have more time, I would like to add technical material to my AoS studies. I feel completely inadequate regarding ship design, etc. Over the summer, I would like to work on some files covering different aspects of ships not already covered by others here. So much to learn; so little time. I am thankful we have this community to rely on.