PDA

View Full Version : SoG Contest on boardgamegeek

7eat51
04-01-2013, 13:26
SoG contest on boardgamegeek:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/955173/ares-games-sails-of-glory-contest-ends-apr-7th

Might have some impact on KS.

The Barrelman
04-03-2013, 12:46
The contest is cool. I hope everyone hear got all the questions correct. I do not see it advertised on the main page that much. Must be how the ad engine is loading for me. Which is strange because my browser history is full of the keywords sails and glory. Think the engine is using a premuim priority sort?

RedArgo
04-03-2013, 14:37
Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Bill

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 14:45
This was mentioned over on the Maximizing KS thread as well. It would be great to see it stir up more interest, but at the same time more people == worse odds. Such a moral challenge

"Promote the Game!" :swordright::swordleft: "Wanna win myself!"

Diamondback
04-03-2013, 14:51
Yeah, but with me (and most certainly others) either pledging at Captain and considering a Commodore upgrade or buying full Commodores for ourselves anyway... if I win, somebody's getting a sweetheart deal on a starter, since I'll probably already have it all anyway. :)

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 14:53
Exactly! A "win" for me would allow me to add some more ships and get a second Starter, thereby letting me pull in some more local players, run medium demo solo or hook up with my kids' school for some special events (I've been wanting to gauge interest in a Learning Through Wargamming group but figure the school would be more interested with Historical)

Cmmdre
04-03-2013, 15:07
Yeah, but with me (and most certainly others) either pledging at Captain and considering a Commodore upgrade or buying full Commodores for ourselves anyway... if I win, somebody's getting a sweetheart deal on a starter, since I'll probably already have it all anyway. :)
That's how I see it as well. Everybody's a winner if one of us wins.

Exactly! A "win" for me would allow me to add some more ships and get a second Starter, thereby letting me pull in some more local players, run medium demo solo or hook up with my kids' school for some special events (I've been wanting to gauge interest in a Learning Through Wargamming group but figure the school would be more interested with Historical)
I'd probably downplay the wargaming and play up the historical aspect. Kind of like when I taught mountaineering for Outward Bound School. At the end of courses the students always said we tricked them in that they came to learn about climbing and we introduced them to themselves and their potential.

Diamondback
04-03-2013, 15:56
Excellent idea, Lawrence--my career goal is a military history professorship, and ever since Axis & Allies Miniatures first hit market I've had ideas about using wargaming to help bring the past to life.

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 16:39
I was actually looking at using this initially:

Junior General - Battle of Trafalgar (http://www.juniorgeneral.org/naval/trafalgar.html)

Then a few months later...I stumble across SoG. :salute:

Diamondback
04-03-2013, 17:38
I could see some of that having use in SoG, actually... have neat little stand-up crew that mark in-play crew abilities, and knock'em down as muskets or cannonfire off 'em.