PDA

View Full Version : How Many Do You Really Need?

Beowulf03809
04-01-2013, 12:33
Ok...I saw this on KS last week and really thought it was a great option to add on, but not really sure of the value for it yet. I have been thinking about it but wanted to put the question here for thoughts.

- Additional Counters Option - If your level is Mate and up, you may add $ 12 to your pledge to request a second set of all the cardboard counters included in the Starter Set, including damage counters, special damage markers, rulers, action markers and terrain elements. If the Additional Counters are shipping with any other reward, no additional shipping charges are due. This option is expected to ship in August, 2013.

So...with the KS exclusives and perhaps another couple ships from Wave One added to the Starter (total of five/six ships per side) I wonder if you could still play the game with the counters/damage markers/action markers included in the Starter set. It seems regular damage markers aren't too bad because you can return many of them to the bag as long as you keep the last box worth on the Log (may not be the most attractive play but at least it's doable). But I don't know about any of the others.

Or at what fleet size threshold it becomes more practical to have an extra set.

It looks like the price (and free shipping) really makes this attractive as a KS option but that is also the cost of another Frigate which is really a nice consideration itself.

Thoughts and opinions?
:question:

Eldil
04-01-2013, 14:11
I ordered at captain level, and decided to go for the extra counters.

The starter set counters are good for 12-15 ships (read that in the comments somewhere). I expect 90% of my games will probably be 3-6 ship games. But if I'm going to buy the next wave, and one day I want to roll out a truly epic 20+ ship game, I figured $12 isn't too high a price to pay.

That's just my two shillings; you're mileage may vary.

David Manley
04-01-2013, 16:08
Personally I'll be sticking at one set. I can't see myself playing with anything more than a dozen ships. For fleet actions I'd use something more streamlined

7eat51
04-01-2013, 18:32
I will probably order another set for running games at conventions. Same with rulers, etc.

Personally I'll be sticking at one set. I can't see myself playing with anything more than a dozen ships. For fleet actions I'd use something more streamlined

What systems do you like?

I asked on another thread, but do you know of an ancient naval game system that is good?

The Royal Hajj
04-01-2013, 20:07
I'll be getting another set for running larger games at Conventions. This will allow me to keep a set at each end of the table for people to pull from.

Jack Aubrey
04-02-2013, 05:39
I'll be getting another set for running larger games at Conventions. This will allow me to keep a set at each end of the table for people to pull from.

Yes, I think the same way.

Andy Blozinski
04-02-2013, 05:54

You are a cruel and heartless sort. I think you just cost me $12 with your good idea.

David Manley
04-02-2013, 06:11
What systems do you like?

I asked on another thread, but do you know of an ancient naval game system that is good?

I've used Form Line of Battle for some pretty big fleet actions (40+ships) in the past but even with a fast play set like that its a day's game. For true fleet actions I'm working on a new set that placeds players in the role of admirals and commodores rather than ships' captains so the detail on the ship side is rather mre abstract, but the command and control is emphasised.

re ancients - I've written fast play ship vs. ship and fleet action sets, and had a set published by A&AGE ("Salamis ad Actium"). Of course I would strongly recommend them all :D

7eat51
04-02-2013, 07:02
I've used Form Line of Battle for some pretty big fleet actions (40+ships) in the past but even with a fast play set like that its a day's game. For true fleet actions I'm working on a new set that placeds players in the role of admirals and commodores rather than ships' captains so the detail on the ship side is rather mre abstract, but the command and control is emphasised.

re ancients - I've written fast play ship vs. ship and fleet action sets, and had a set published by A&AGE ("Salamis ad Actium"). Of course I would strongly recommend them all :D

Thanks for the recommendations.

I look forward to your upcoming work - seems a bit more strategic than tactical - which would be a nice spin.

Based on what I have seen and your comments, I think the probability of my doing large fleet actions would be slim, at least with minis. It would be difficult outside of conventions to secure the number of players and a whole day devoted towards a single engagement. With a hex and counter game, I can set it up, walk away, and return to play at leisure - granted as solo play. For some reason, it was much easier getting folks together for a weekend-long game during high school and college days.

Cmmdre
04-02-2013, 08:05
Thanks for the recommendations.

I look forward to your upcoming work - seems a bit more strategic than tactical - which would be a nice spin.

Based on what I have seen and your comments, I think the probability of my doing large fleet actions would be slim, at least with minis. It would be difficult outside of conventions to secure the number of players and a whole day devoted towards a single engagement. With a hex and counter game, I can set it up, walk away, and return to play at leisure - granted as solo play. For some reason, it was much easier getting folks together for a weekend-long game during high school and college days.
Weekend long games. That ship has also sailed for me as well. Quick games of a few hours max is all I'm able to pull off anymore.

Sea Gull
04-02-2013, 08:11
Weekend long games. That ship has also sailed for me as well. Quick games of a few hours max is all I'm able to pull off anymore.

I think that's where the like of WoG and SoG will come into their own. Out of the box, start playing in 10 minutes after aquick read of the Basic rules.

I find myself on the other end of the see-saw now. At school/uni I had plenty of time, but no money. Now I have the money but no time.:erk:

Cmmdre
04-02-2013, 08:22
From the recent review I read that sounds right. Quick out of the box play and potential for fast action play. Both upsides in this day and age of video game zombies.

Horatio
04-02-2013, 09:55
I will probably keep it to pretty small skirmishes no more than four a side probably only two a side.
I think with all the cards and counters you have to use too many ships would clutter up my limited playing space too much.
With that I think I will not need more than a few frigates a side, so I don't expect this game to be too big a drain on my cash.:hmmm:
Having said that I do have 100+ planes for Wings of Glory.:shock:
Don

Beowulf03809
04-02-2013, 11:05
I will probably keep it to pretty small skirmishes no more than four a side probably only two a side.
I think with all the cards and counters you have to use too many ships would clutter up my limited playing space too much.
With that I think I will not need more than a few frigates a side, so I don't expect this game to be too big a drain on my cash.:hmmm:
Having said that I do have 100+ planes for Wings of Glory.:shock:
Don

It's not the number of ships on the table at one time, it's the need for variety that kills.

David Manley
04-02-2013, 11:39

More grand tactical than strategic, although there will have to be a strategic pre-game element to allow for pre-battle manoeuvring, determining starting positions, etc.

I have another project looking at the strategic side (have had for about 10 years actually - it keeps getting put on the back burner!)

David Manley
04-02-2013, 11:54

we used to manage day long games during the holidays and our local NWS groups regularly ran all day games in Mortimer and Bristol. They've died off a bit as members have moved on to other things, but one of my friends has an annual wargames fest at his house over a weekend - usually a naval campaign of some type, and I'm hoping to be doing more of the same once we get properly settled in the new house.

David Manley
04-02-2013, 11:55
However, in answe to the question, "How many do you really need? the answer is "none, but where's the fun in that, so change "none" to "all" " :)

Beowulf03809
04-02-2013, 12:08
However, in answe to the question, "How many do you really need? the answer is "none, but where's the fun in that, so change "none" to "all" " :)

I hear you! Though I can't necessarily follow said advice under our current fleet financial structure.
:salute:

7eat51
04-02-2013, 14:10
More grand tactical than strategic, although there will have to be a strategic pre-game element to allow for pre-battle manoeuvring, determining starting positions, etc.

As I was reading on the Battle of Copenhagen, I was impressed with how much can change once the battle begins. Ships run aground or explode, wind changes, etc. If Nelson didn't communicate with the Danes when he did, the battle could have turned out quite differently. So much of this cannot be anticipated to the degree one would like.

Cmmdre
04-02-2013, 20:55
we used to manage day long games during the holidays and our local NWS groups regularly ran all day games in Mortimer and Bristol. They've died off a bit as members have moved on to other things, but one of my friends has an annual wargames fest at his house over a weekend - usually a naval campaign of some type, and I'm hoping to be doing more of the same once we get properly settled in the new house.

That sounds fun David. Day long events during the holidays would be grand. Especially if new ships were moored in my stocking on the mantle.

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 06:49
For those of us that play the historical and LotR games, most of our local gaming is on Friday evenings after work. We kick off about 18:00 and play until done (our LGS "closes" at 20:00 but they often lock up and let the tables play until 21:30 or later if needed). We do sometimes have all day on a Saturday where we'll play a much larger scale battle or try to get in several battles, but that's not typical. Saturdays the tables are mostly in use by the WH/40K groups.