PDA

View Full Version : The use of U.S.S.

Anav
12-03-2011, 11:09
The prefix "USS," meaning "United States Ship," is used in official documents to identify a commissioned ship of the Navy. It applies to a ship while she is in commission. Before commissioning, or after decommissioning, she is referred to by name, with no prefix. Civilian-manned ships of the Military Sealift Command (MSC) are not commissioned ships; their status is "in service," rather than "in commission." Nevertheless, they are Navy ships in active national service, and the prefix "USNS" (United States Naval Ship) was adopted to identify them. Other Navy vessels classified as "in service" are simply identified by their name (if any) and hull number, with no prefix.

In the early 1800’s, there was no fixed form for Navy ship prefixes. Ships were rather haphazardly identified, in correspondence or documents, by their naval type, such as “U.S. Frigate ____,” by their rig, such as “United States Barque ____,” by their function such as “United States Flag-Ship ____,” or they might just identify themselves as "the Frigate _____," or as "Ship ______." In the 1790’s, the term "United States Ship" (USS) began to be used and by the late 1800’s it was in frequent use.

In 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt issued an Executive order that established the present usage:

In order that there shall be uniformity in the matter of designating naval vessels, it is hereby directed that the official designation of vessels of war, and other vessels of the Navy of the United States, shall be the name of such vessel, preceded by the words, United States Ship, or the letters U.S.S., and by no other words or letters.

-- Executive Order 549, 8 January 1907

Today's Navy Regulations define the classification and status of naval ships and craft:

1. The Chief of Naval Operations shall be responsible for ... the assignment of classification for administrative pur- poses to water-borne craft and the designation of status for each ship and service craft. ....

2. Commissioned vessels and craft shall be called "United States Ship" or "U.S.S."

3. Civilian manned ships, of the Military Sealift Command or other commands, designated "active status, in service" shall be called "United States Naval Ship" or "U.S.N.S."

4. Ships and service craft designated "active status, in service," except those described by paragraph 3 of this article, shall be referred to by name, when assigned, classification, and hull number (e.g., "HIGH POINT PCH-1" or "YOGN-8").

-- United States Navy Regulations, 1990, Article 0406

Capt P
12-03-2011, 13:52
I am aware of this Steve. You may expand on this by telling how the ships are named. In the early 1900's for example BB's were named after states, CL/CA's after cities and so forth. Prior to that I am not sure how the Navy named their ships. I do know that the first Air Craft carriers were named after battles and ships from the Rev War. Any further info would be good.

Anav
12-03-2011, 14:35
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq63-1.htm

the rest of the story!!

Tommy Z
12-03-2011, 18:45
You sir are a font of information! Keep it coming!

The Cowman
12-06-2011, 18:05
"I like this ship... its exciting!!!" (sorry I could not resist...)

Old Salt
12-07-2011, 18:19
More intersting facts on US navy history, great tidbits of info. Don't stop

Bligh
12-08-2011, 07:52
Yet another useful bit of info thanks Steve.
Rob.