PDA

View Full Version : Game show preview and deck

Andy Blozinski
03-31-2013, 08:49
Check out this image from the game show:
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482319_492110447502962_1006199187_n.jpg

I'm guessing the lettered decks of cards are the movement decks for the various classifications they have for maneuverability.
Those decks are HUGE. I'm not talking card size, I'm talking how many cards. That might present a problem sorting through so many cards to figure out what you're going to do. It'll be interesting to see a deck to see if a sorting system will cut down on the work load.

PirateBlake
03-31-2013, 09:57
Good Gosh!! Those cards are not only many in the stack but extra large as well. :shock: I am hoping those are just prototypes and the real maneuver cards are sized like regular playing cards are at least the size of the Wings maneuver cards.

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 10:07
I agree that the cards are slightly large in size and in volume. Boss picture though. Can't wait to set up my own table.

Wargamer
03-31-2013, 10:54
Look like the size of the cards from Ares "War of the Ring" game.

David Manley
03-31-2013, 11:32
A typical deck has around 26-36 cards in it (plus "into the wind cards), at least in the prototype.

Each deck effectively has 2 of each of the standard manoeuvre cards (so if you are playing the basic game you actually have twice as many cards as you need, or you can use one complete deck to drive 2 ships - Rory take note!). When playing with the full manoeuvre rules it looks like you would be best off maintaining two separate decks for each ship, one for the current turn, one for the next turn (plus the "into the wind" cards as a separate deck)

Sea Gull
03-31-2013, 11:33
Still the old white bases though, so I guess this is all pre-production stuff.

The Royal Hajj
03-31-2013, 20:59
Yes, that is all pre-production items. The final cards will be slightly larger then the Wings cards (European Mini as they are called here in the US), but still much smaller than standard poker cards.

Card counts for the four starter decks:

A = 37
B = 31
C = 37
D = 31

That includes the normal cards, the red "taken back" cards, and some black cards, that look like either de-masted, or adrift.

Eldil
04-01-2013, 09:55
Let's say, just as a hypothetical, that I was some kind of crazy person driven by the compulsive need to sleeve every card I touched... will the Sails of Glory cards fit in any of the conventional sleeves on the market, such as the kind produced by Fantasy Flight?

RichardPF
04-01-2013, 10:21
Let's say, just as a hypothetical, that I was some kind of crazy person driven by the compulsive need to sleeve every card I touched... will the Sails of Glory cards fit in any of the conventional sleeves on the market, such as the kind produced by Fantasy Flight?

I believe that the Boss posted that they were 75mm x 50 mm.

Eldil
04-01-2013, 10:23
I believe that the Boss posted that they were 75mm x 50 mm.

Thank you, sir!

Beowulf03809
04-01-2013, 10:34
Looks great and is very exciting.

So that's a pre-prod peek at the Starter Set contents? It would have everything needed (full decks and such) to play all four ships at the same time, right?

RichardPF
04-01-2013, 10:59
Check out this image from the game show:
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482319_492110447502962_1006199187_n.jpg

I'm guessing the lettered decks of cards are the movement decks for the various classifications they have for maneuverability.
Those decks are HUGE. I'm not talking card size, I'm talking how many cards. That might present a problem sorting through so many cards to figure out what you're going to do. It'll be interesting to see a deck to see if a sorting system will cut down on the work load.

The ship logs look to be about 8" x 11"
That is a bit larger than I expected.

Devsdoc
04-01-2013, 12:27
A typical deck has around 26-36 cards in it (plus "into the wind cards), at least in the prototype.

Each deck effectively has 2 of each of the standard manoeuvre cards (so if you are playing the basic game you actually have twice as many cards as you need, or you can use one complete deck to drive 2 ships - Rory take note!). When playing with the full manoeuvre rules it looks like you would be best off maintaining two separate decks for each ship, one for the current turn, one for the next turn (plus the "into the wind" cards as a separate deck)

Thanks David,
I see what mean! (Rory take note!) Bigger scale, bigger movement cards. Smaller scale, smaller movement cards I can see and understand this. Do you think or know if smaller and/or more agile ships use a whole deck of cards, but a bigger (Lets say a 1st rater) only uses apart of a whole deck as it moves slower and is less agile?
Be safe
Rory

The ship logs look to be about 8" x 11"
That is a bit larger than I expected.

Hi Bruce.
For a large fleet it is a lot of ship-log cards, movement cards and tokens laying around! I think that I would laminate the ships-log cards and after adding up the damage use a wet marker pen on the card and put the tokens back. I would do the same for loaded and fired guns too, Just write, cross-out and wipe:happy:
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
04-01-2013, 12:39
Do you think or know if smaller and/or more agile ships use a whole deck of cards, but a bigger (Lets say a 1st rater) only uses apart of a whole deck as it moves slower and is less agile?

They'll have different decks of cards that better reflect their speed and agility. At present I've seen 7 different decks.

Devsdoc
04-01-2013, 12:47
They'll have different decks of cards that better reflect their speed and agility. At present I've seen 7 different decks.

Thinks David.
Be safe
Rory